You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 130131132133134 179>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

I believe an U21 appearance could be just what he needs.
He has the talent and experience to excel in these games, but I'd be actually shocked where he to be named in that squad.

Yeah, I wouldn't generally be for players dropping back from the seniors (would prefer calling up younger prospects), but in this case it could do him a lot of good.

Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

Getting named in the U-21 squad according to David Sneyd on twitter. I'm surprised given the Jim Crawford interview on Second Captains yesterday where he indicated he wouldn't bring any senior capped players to the tournament if we qualified. 

It wouldn't be Crawfords choice to bring senior players. Kenny gets first pick.
Sponsored Links

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

I believe an U21 appearance could be just what he needs.
He has the talent and experience to excel in these games, but I'd be actually shocked where he to be named in that squad.

Yeah, I wouldn't generally be for players dropping back from the seniors (would prefer calling up younger prospects), but in this case it could do him a lot of good.

Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

Getting named in the U-21 squad according to David Sneyd on twitter. I'm surprised given the Jim Crawford interview on Second Captains yesterday where he indicated he wouldn't bring any senior capped players to the tournament if we qualified. 

It wouldn't be Crawfords choice to bring senior players. Kenny gets first pick.

That wasn't how Crawford said it. It was in the context of not parachuting in senior players as being a policy decision i.e. wanting to not deprive the existing squad and those that have got the team to where they are of the opportunity to compete at a major tournament - assuming a) we make it and b) that there is no clash with a senior game. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 1:12pm
Deserves a spot in under 21s based on what? 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

That wasn't how Crawford said it. It was in the context of not parachuting in senior players as being a policy decision i.e. wanting to not deprive the existing squad and those that have got the team to where they are of the opportunity to compete at a major tournament - assuming a) we make it and b) that there is no clash with a senior game. 

Which is a nonsense.
The matches and competitions are there to be won.
You pick your best 11 from your best squad - not your most loyal squad.

For me, Connolly is a better player than both Wright and Kerrigan and should start ahead of both.

Edited by Fozz - 15 Sep 2022 at 1:24pm
turbo10 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 1:36pm
Hopefully it's confirmed he's with the 21's. It would certainly show a good attitude from Connolly that he's prepared to drop back down 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 1:54pm

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Which is a nonsense.
The matches and competitions are there to be won.
You pick your best 11 from your best squad - not your most loyal squad.

For me, Connolly is a better player than both Wright and Kerrigan and should start ahead of both.

Spot on.

Crawfords selections have been a bit mad. On one hand he'll say "you have to be playing senior football to be included" (nonsense for U21s), but then he'll skip Festy who was playing regularly in the Championship in favour of lads stuck in League 2. And then he'll pick Ferguson & O'Neill who aren't playing senior football, but ignore other top prospects entirely because they aren't playing senior football. He's all over the place.

As you say Fozz, the best chance we have to win these games is by playing our most talented players. That's what Kenny was doing in 2019, moving up the more talented younger players and moved on the 20/21yo players who were getting senior games, and that's a big part of why his U21s played so well.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 2:13pm
I wonder if he will accept a call up from the under 21s ? 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I'd presume if it's going to happen, and I'm in the camp that hope it does, even if he's only used as a sub, then it would have been teased out with him beforehand.
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Word on the street is that he will and has.
Squad announcement any minute to validate if the street talk in forked tongue.

wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 2:31pm
Named in 21s squad 
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 2:50pm
3 and a half years after making his u21 debut and over 3 years since he last played u21, and made his senior debut.  Would not have seen this happening at that time.  Positive side i guess fair play to him accepting the call.

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 2:52pm
Great to see.
Not just words, but actions.
Now start him!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Experience, ability etc. If there's space for Ollie O'Neill and Tyreik Wright there has to be space for someone who has played about 45 games in the Premier League. Most of our senior squad haven't managed that. Fair play to him for accepting the call up.

Edited by You Tell Me - 15 Sep 2022 at 4:00pm
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:04pm
Good man Aaron Clap

Now go make some history with the rest of the lads.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:11pm
Happy to see him available to the team. He will probably be injured after all the excitement though!
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by exgrad exgrad wrote:

Connollys career trajectory is heading only one way unfortunatley.  It will take a lot more to reverse it than people think.  He's dropping levels each season.  In his interview a few weeks ago with Irish Fan TV he mentioned about Potter pretty blanking him in pre season.  Thats not a good sign, Connolly seemed to think it refelected poorly on Potter so not sure his "im a changed man" routine is all it seems.  Hopefully he can turn it around, i don't think he has gone to the right place to do that though.

I'm not sure two loan moves in the space of 9 months (having played for 2.5 years in the EPL before that)  qualifies as "dropping levels each season" LOL  He's played just over 180 minutes for Venezia and has been unlucky not to score in both of their last two games where he has made more than cameo appearances, bit ridiculous to be writing off the loan yet.

A couple of years ago he was a premier league player and senior ireland international.  He now plays in Serie B in front of one man and his dog (compared to PL a anyway) and is back in the u21 squad.  That is dropping levels.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Experience, ability etc. If there's space for Ollie O'Neill and Tyreik Wright there has to be space for someone who has played about 45 games in the Premier League. Most of our senior squad haven't managed that. Fair play to him for accepting the call up.

Yikes. Back to that experience word again.

I'm not doubting his talent, but the guy hasn't been in anything resembling decent form for actual years now. Crawford is taking a serious punt here on the hope that a player comes good.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:01pm

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Connollys career trajectory is heading only one way unfortunatley.  It will take a lot more to reverse it than people think.  He's dropping levels each season.  In his interview a few weeks ago with Irish Fan TV he mentioned about Potter pretty blanking him in pre season.  Thats not a good sign, Connolly seemed to think it refelected poorly on Potter so not sure his "im a changed man" routine is all it seems.  Hopefully he can turn it around, i don't think he has gone to the right place to do that though.

I'm not sure two loan moves in the space of 9 months (having played for 2.5 years in the EPL before that)  qualifies as "dropping levels each season" LOL  He's played just over 180 minutes for Venezia and has been unlucky not to score in both of their last two games where he has made more than cameo appearances, bit ridiculous to be writing off the loan yet.

A couple of years ago he was a premier league player and senior ireland international.  He now plays in Serie B in front of one man and his dog (compared to PL a anyway) and is back in the u21 squad.  That is dropping levels.

The average attendance in Serie B is about 10,000 - I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. He's a young player that has gone out on loan to rediscover some form, that hardly qualifies as a derailed career.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 130131132133134 179>
  Share Topic