You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 124125126127128 179>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 1:28am
His mother is English , it’s hardly the most outrageous crime in the world to be influenced by the accent of a parent and having lived in the country for 6 years now almost..
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 11:39am
Listening to the full interview, doesn't speak very respectfully towards Graham Potter about his move seems like he might hold a little bit of animosity towards him.

I agree also as good as Irish Fan TV and Paul's a sound fella his interviews sometimes feel a little forced like he's trying to make it sound like he hangs out with the players week in week out
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

His mother is English , it’s hardly the most outrageous crime in the world to be influenced by the accent of a parent and having lived in the country for 6 years now almost..

Leave it out squire.  Summinks come on top for an irishman to speak like that. Speaking with a cockney accent aint right and he should ashamed of his self.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 2:53pm
HH, you continually point out stuff that irritates you but it just make your comments irritating, and detracts from the football content you post. Maybe by now you'll realize it doesn't interest most forum user in the way it interests you.

Regarding accents, apparently people who are musically inclined adopt new accents quicker. Plus these players are kids when they go over, trying to fit into a competitive workplace. If conforming to the speech patterns of the local culture is what happens, so what?
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

My Uncle who is in his 90s living in Birmingham for 70 years still has a Dublin accent FFS. 

And?

Not a fan of Connolly, but won’t criticise him over losing an accent. Pleanty of people do, not a lot wrong with it either.

I know pleanty of people that moved abroad, a couple 20 years ago and never lost accent. I know people that did lose their accent too. Not sure what the big deal is with that?
You don't lose something you value, something of which you are proud, something with which you identify. You'll only lose it if you want to lose it. You can tell after six weeks who'll lose their accent. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

My Uncle who is in his 90s living in Birmingham for 70 years still has a Dublin accent FFS. 

And?

Not a fan of Connolly, but won’t criticise him over losing an accent. Pleanty of people do, not a lot wrong with it either.

I know pleanty of people that moved abroad, a couple 20 years ago and never lost accent. I know people that did lose their accent too. Not sure what the big deal is with that?
You don't lose something you value, something of which you are proud, something with which you identify. You'll only lose it if you want to lose it. You can tell after six weeks who'll lose their accent. 

Aye, slaves just didn't value their freedom enough, poor people don't value their wellbeing enough, sick people don't value their health, etc
We're decent enough..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

And?

Aye, slaves just didn't value their freedom enough, poor people don't value their wellbeing enough, sick people don't value their health, etc
Exactly - if we were discussing freedom, poverty and health. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 4:20pm
Yep, so maybe he doesn't value his accent as much as fitting in etc.

I care nothing for how a lad speaks if he can score the winner v England in the Euro-24 quarter finals Hug
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 5:15pm
Sounds like an English traveller.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 5:19pm
Does actuallyLOL

Last time I heard him, he was a Dub...a much more understandable switchCool
<insert witty comment>
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

HH, you continually point out stuff that irritates you but it just make your comments irritating, and detracts from the football content you post. Maybe by now you'll realize it doesn't interest most forum user in the way it interests you.

Regarding accents, apparently people who are musically inclined adopt new accents quicker. Plus these players are kids when they go over, trying to fit into a competitive workplace. If conforming to the speech patterns of the local culture is what happens, so what?

I've travelled a lot and been around enough hostels in my youth. I've been around Scots, Welsh, Aussies, English, Americans. All of them speak in their native accents. The only people I can recall speaking in an American or English inflection were Irish people.

IDK why the truth irritates some people. In the eighties and nineties it used to be upper class people from Dublin who'd speak in a faux-English accent. So it's not a new phenomenon, the advent of American TV shows, broadband internet and exposure to other cultures just means a lot more Irish people do it regardless of their class.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 5:26pm
He's a very polarising character that's for sure. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 5:28pm
Yes you are right HH only the Irish ever adopt the accent of a country they live in Wacko.

If you think that based on 'your experiences' then I'd hasten to guess your travelling is one internet site to the next. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
BrenC View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 5:28pm

And?

Very weird accent snobbery.  By definition most people can’t hear their own accent.  I haven’t picked up a US twang despite living in the states but it’s not some deliberate or moral achievement.  This cultural police sh*te questioning if someone values their nationality based on picking up parts of accent where you live is frankly pathetic. 

Team Emmet
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 5:30pm

I'm not here to contribute anything meaningful to the Connolly debate but I will say that Irish people who adopt mid Atlantic accents and speak in HR related terminology are 100% w@nkers in my experience. 
I realise that this does not include Connolly but I just needed to get that fact off my chest. 
El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 5:33pm
Plenty of English people living in Ireland. Think of one who has developed an Irish accent to rival Connolly's English one. LOL

Better yet. Think of an English, Welsh or Scottish footballer who has developed an accent of their host country.

Go ahead. I'll wait.

Plenty of people here have been to Scotland. I don't need to ask do their women speak in American accents! They don't. It's a uniquely Irish phenomenon. I'm not the first person to notice it.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Yes you are right HH only the Irish ever adopt the accent of a country they live in Wacko.

If you think that based on 'your experiences' then I'd hasten to guess your travelling is one internet site to the next. 

There was that video going around a few months ago of a Lebanese lad who spoke English with a Mullingar accent. So not only are we the "only group" who pick up foreign accents, we're obviously spreading this insidious trend to other nations as well LOL
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 5:38pm
It's almost scary how infatuated O'Shea is with me. LOL

About a dozen posters making fun of Connolly's accent and he keeps zoning in on my comments every time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 124125126127128 179>
  Share Topic