You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 100101102103104 179>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Duff would buy and sell Connolly in every regard.
At the same age duff was flying and heading for a big money move to a top 4 club.

Connolly is struggling to get game time for both his club and the national team and the general consensus is a drop of division is the best thing for him.

With all this in mind Connolly won’t most likely hit the heights Duff did or come near

At the age of 21 Duff was in the 2nd tier and heading towards a 2nd season in that 2nd tier.
He was 23 when he signed for Chelsea.

So maybe wait a season and a half before making the comparison here.

By the time duff got relegated to championship he had better stats with Blackburn in Premier league than Connolly has now.
He was a huge part in them getting promotion back to the premier league he was a player on the up.
We can’t say that of Connolly 
Duff also had none of the off field problems Connolly does

I don’t need to wait another season to compare them I can see with my own two eyes that Connolly won’t be getting a move to a top 4 club game n the next 18 months.

To think otherwise is delusional or complete madness.
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 5:48pm
I don't know why "top 4" is being brought up. Duff played 2 seasons at a top 4 club. Connolly will never reach that level. If he becomes an established PL player like Duff, even if it's at Crystal Palace or Aston Villa, then that would be a huge success.

I feel like he'll oscillate between Championship and Scottish Premiership/League one in the long term.

Slightly more successful than Anthony Stokes.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 27 Dec 2021 at 5:49pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

We're so desperate for a player to break through, the green tinted glasses have slowly turned.to green tinted contact lenses and soon heading for full on green tinted laser eye surgery. 

He's soon to be 22 and done VERY little in the game. If an Irish player passes a ball straight these days we cream ourselves. We really need to raise our standards. Connolly is average and proved as much so far in his career. 

It’s the lack of strikers/forwards. Liam Scales’ development is brilliant to see, but it will be another defender to add to our well stocked store of defenders, which means that some well performing Championship players like Lenihan are not even assured of a squad place. This is in contrast to our forward line where we have few obvious choices, or regular starters. In normal times, Connolly nor Parrott would be included as senior players, and the likes of James Collins would have been amongst the ‘options’.

This is why we are so obsessed with any young player, who plays a progressive role, at a high level.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 10:18pm
If only the Dublin Dons existed we could round up all the Irish cast offs and play them
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Landsdowne90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landsdowne90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Connolly has never gone on loan or played for another team.

He only ever tried to break into an established premier league team. Not exactly an easy thing to do especially for a forward.

Brighton also need to be able to manage connollys career, giving the guy a loan move with a team where he'll get a run of games might give him the boost he needs. 

We went on loan to Luton in fairness, limited minutes though!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 10:49pm
Spent the majority of that loan out with a hamstring injury he picked up before the move happened I think. Didn't join up with Luton until April.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 11:48pm

He's achieved more than idah so far but idah seems to get a free pass. 

I hope that connolly has a strong second half of the season, not just for him but ireland need him to play his best football. Our forward line is woeful.

For me he's better than idah and parrott, especially when he runs at players, something ireland really need.

both him and idah need loan moves badly imo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 11:54pm
Have a feeling Idah will break his duck against Palace if he starts 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 10:20am
Linked with a loan move to Middlesborough.

Any move that will allow him to play each week will be of huge benefit. 
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 11:51am
wilder would be a good manager for him a bit old school and that might help smooth out the rough edge’s 
Benhur View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 12:08pm
Think this could be a great move for him.. badly needs away from Brighton at the minute
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 12:45pm
Looks like this one is going to happen. Seems like a good move on the face of it, if anything Wilder's style of play should suit him better than Potter's and Middlesbrough isn't exactly a nightlife hotspot that I am aware of. 

You would hope it would go reasonably well for him in the Championship and might build up his confidence in front of goal if he can score a few against Luton and Hull or whoever.

Something similar for Idah would be great.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Looks like this one is going to happen. Seems like a good move on the face of it, if anything Wilder's style of play should suit him better than Potter's and Middlesbrough isn't exactly a nightlife hotspot that I am aware of. 

You would hope it would go reasonably well for him in the Championship and might build up his confidence in front of goal if he can score a few against Luton and Hull or whoever.

Something similar for Idah would be great.

Let's hope the women of Middlesbrough are still as unattractive as they were in Szilard Nemeth's day.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 2:25pm

Middlesbrough would be a great move, he start games, regain his confidence and enjoy his football again. 

When playing for the u21 he was clearly a class above. Whether you like it or not we need him to come good, 
Whether we like what?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 2:27pm

Middlesbrough would be a great move, he start games, regain his confidence and enjoy his football again. 

When playing for the u21 he was clearly a class above. Whether you like it or not we need him to come good, 

We don't really. Kenny has been producing results without him.

Connolly will have his work cut out to get back into the team.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 2:47pm
Would that be a loan move or Transfer ? 

At todays market how much would he be worth ?
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

We don't really. Kenny has been producing results without him.

Connolly will have his work cut out to get back into the team.

This is a positive. We thought 12 months ago if these younger lads don't come good we can forget it. Now we can let them develop in peace and if one of them comes good they come good. 

Connolly needs this badly and ideally will spend next year down the Championship too. Get a run of games a goal or two some confidence with it. Middlesbrough aren't teeming with attackers if he does it right he ought to be starting down the lines. 

That's if he's going there. It might be rumours but Brighton really ought to for their own sake and Connolly's.  
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 3:51pm
Boro feels like a really good move. An old school manager. A city at the far end of the country with less distraction. Wilder normally plays two strikers and they have a 6ft 1 Slovakian striker Sporar for him to play off. 

I think Connolly could make a position wide of a 3 but surely can make hay off a big man up front. Himself and Maupay were a strange combo for Brighton. They just couldn't click ever. Getting him closer to goal in a team that are trying to be direct will hopefully help. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 100101102103104 179>
  Share Topic