You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 99100101102103 179>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 8:58pm
Brighton remind me of Ireland under Kenny before we switched from 4-3-3 to 3-4-3. 

They've no cutting edge about them at all and just pass the box infront of the opposition's 18 yard box.

That being said Connolly did very little but Brighton look poor.
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 8:58pm
Not Connolly's night tonight although he didn't help himself entirely. I didn't want to say it but was he carrying a touch of condition or am I imagining that. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 9:06pm
When the Brighton style isn't working it is painful to watch. As someone else said, a throwback to the early days under Kenny.

That style doesn't suit Connolly either, he wants to be running off the last man but Brighton are so ponderous on the ball that he never gets a chance. 

But in those situations he needs to drop off a bit and get more involved, try a few long shots or something to mix it up. But he didn't do that at all, he just waited for the game to come to him - and it never did.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 3:16pm
Looks to be left out of tonights fixture with the return of Welbeck and Maupey. Pictured on Instagram in the gym training on his own.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Looks to be left out of tonights fixture with the return of Welbeck and Maupey. Pictured on Instagram in the gym training on his own.

Wouldn't like to be using the equipment after him with his proclivity for picking his nose. Probably leaves his snots all over the weights and treadmills.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Wouldn't like to be using the equipment after him with his proclivity for picking his nose. Probably leaves his snots all over the weights and treadmills.

LOLLOLLOL
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 9:02pm
connolly self isolating. Unfortunate when you think he was likely to have added to his goal haul tonight.

The lad will come good in the new year once he gets chances.

Edited by Heimatklange - 26 Dec 2021 at 9:03pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

connolly self isolating. Unfortunate when you think he was likely to have added to his goal haul tonight.

Based on what exactly?

The most likely scenario was replacing Ferguson on the bench, and with Welbeck back, not seeing any game time.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 10:18am

LOL

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 10:48am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

LOL

He needs to pretend the net is his nostril and the ball is his finger. He'd reach Lewandowski levels of goals in no time.
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 2:36pm
In comments on the Brighton Brentford game someone mentioned that Brighton were without Connolly. They got this reply from a Brighton fan
"Connolly isn’t a starter for us, after a bright debut against spurs a couple years back he’s never really achieved anything for us and I don’t really no a fan who misses him. He’s no loss for us."

He'll need a Duffy like resurrection of form to make it in the EPL. He's at the right club for that to happen but I don't know yet if he has the determination in him.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 2:56pm
Couldn't disagree with the negative sentiment more. 

Connolly will come good, if:
(i) he gets an injury-free run;
(ii) he gets some consistent game-time, most likely at Championship level. 

I watched him a lot for Kenny's U21s and, amongst a strong cohort, imo he stood out head and shoulders.  Could beat a man at will.  

[The only under-age comparisons I could think of was Duffer in Malaysia in the nineties (pulling an otherwise ordinary but very organised Ireland U20s to the world cup semi finals), and the young Belgian Doku lad who was a different class at the U19 Euros, and was excellent in the recent Euros v Italy.] 

Connolly's a young lad, and he's had an awful run with injuries.  

On top of that, any player needs a run of games to get into his groove - he's never had that since he was knocking the lights out at PL2 level - 11 goals in 15 games at the age of 18 tells its own story (and 3 in 5 league cup games). 

Since then, he's been injured or a rotational player.  

Lads on here suggest maturity issues.  I have no insight in that, save he's a young lad and he wouldn't be the first player (or person) to make mistakes at the start of his career. 

He just needs a run of games.  

Would love to see him go on a full season loan to the likes of Swansea or some similar ball-playing club.  

At 21, there's a lot more upside for him than downside - IF he can keep fit. And get out from Brighton for a few seasons, where he is unlikely to see a huge amount of game-time in the near future.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 4:52pm
Duff would buy and sell Connolly in every regard.
At the same age duff was flying and heading for a big money move to a top 4 club.

Connolly is struggling to get game time for both his club and the national team and the general consensus is a drop of division is the best thing for him.

With all this in mind Connolly won’t most likely hit the heights Duff did or come near

EdisonCavani View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdisonCavani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 4:59pm
Connolly will be 22 in a few weeks. Duffer was winning promotion with Blackburn and then the league cup and finishing high up the Premier League with Blackburn as a key player. He was only 17/18 as well in that World Cup in Malaysia. Connolly had talent but he has done nothing so far in terms of matching Duffers achievements.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Duff would buy and sell Connolly in every regard.
At the same age duff was flying and heading for a big money move to a top 4 club.

Connolly is struggling to get game time for both his club and the national team and the general consensus is a drop of division is the best thing for him.

With all this in mind Connolly won’t most likely hit the heights Duff did or come near

At the age of 21 Duff was in the 2nd tier and heading towards a 2nd season in that 2nd tier.
He was 23 when he signed for Chelsea.

So maybe wait a season and a half before making the comparison here.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 5:03pm
Actually Duff was playing in his second consecutive season in what is now the Championship when he was Connolly's age.

Not that I'm saying that Connolly will go on to have a similar career to Duff, but Duff was a year or two older before any realistic prospect of a move to a top 4 team came up.
James98 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by EdisonCavani EdisonCavani wrote:

Connolly will be 22 in a few weeks. Duffer was winning promotion with Blackburn and then the league cup and finishing high up the Premier League with Blackburn as a key player. He was only 17/18 as well in that World Cup in Malaysia. Connolly had talent but he has done nothing so far in terms of matching Duffers achievements.

If we are comparing where they actually are now in both career Duff was in the championship. Bear in mind it was easier to breakthrough then than it is now. 

Alot of rose tinted glasses I see here.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 5:17pm
We're so desperate for a player to break through, the green tinted glasses have slowly turned.to green tinted contact lenses and soon heading for full on green tinted laser eye surgery. 

He's soon to be 22 and done VERY little in the game. If an Irish player passes a ball straight these days we cream ourselves. We really need to raise our standards. Connolly is average and proved as much so far in his career. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 99100101102103 179>
  Share Topic