Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2016 Semis Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Shearer started to talk some bollocks about it not being deliberate at half time. As if that matters. 
Eh yes it does matter actually, it matters a lot according to FIFA Laws of the Game 2015/16 ;

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with

the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following into

consideration:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)

• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an

infringement

• touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.)

counts as an infringement

• hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) counts as an

infringement

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sponsored Links

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)

• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

Both of these clearly applied in the incident last night.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 10:33am
The majority of penaltys given for handball (which are widely agreed are the correct decisions) the defenders don't go and deliberately handle the ball.
In fact I've seen very few incidents, other than defenders punching it off the line, where its clear that the handball is deliberate.

Boateng on Saturday night for example. Clear penalty. Deliberate? No. When the corner was coming in he hardly thought to himself, sure I may as well handle this.
It wasn't deliberate but it was definitely a penalty, as with Schweinsteigers last night.

Bringing up the "was it deliberate" argument is totally pointless in my opinion.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 08 Jul 2016 at 10:35am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 10:44am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 10:55am
You have to wonder do newspaper editors read the articles at all? I thought there was going to be a sly dig at ourselves with team names! Alas no, just a generic dig at the format and some of their opponents. If there was a dig at anyone it was the pub team.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 11:13am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

You have to wonder do newspaper editors read the articles at all? I thought there was going to be a sly dig at ourselves with team names! Alas no, just a generic dig at the format and some of their opponents. If there was a dig at anyone it was the pub team.

It's what I took from it it anyway

Edited by lassassinblanc - 08 Jul 2016 at 11:13am
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 11:31am

The majority of penaltys given for handball (which are widely agreed are the correct decisions) the defenders don't go and deliberately handle the ball.
In fact I've seen very few incidents, other than defenders punching it off the line, where its clear that the handball is deliberate.

Boateng on Saturday night for example. Clear penalty. Deliberate? No. When the corner was coming in he hardly thought to himself, sure I may as well handle this.
It wasn't deliberate but it was definitely a penalty, as with Schweinsteigers last night.

Bringing up the "was it deliberate" argument is totally pointless in my opinion.
No it is not.
You said Shearer was talking bollix but the Laws of the Game state that he wasnt.
A foul in the game must be intentional.

Boeteng could walk around with his arms in air for 90 minutes and if the ball hits them it is NOT deliberate and the Ref would be correct in NOT awarding a penalty. I agree that this would never happen as 99% of Refs would give a penalty.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 11:34am
So do you think the Boateng penalty last week was the correct decision?
Do you think the handball was deliberate?

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 11:37am

So do you think the Boateng penalty last week was the correct decision?
Do you think the handball was deliberate?
Yes and Yes.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 11:46am
Cant agree there.
Theres no way Boateng purposely handled that ball. Sure why would he do that

The word deliberate shouldn't be included in the rulebook about penaltys in my opinion.

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 11:48am

Genuine question: By the letter of the law, if the last man (defender) takes down a striker who would be otherwise through on goal with a clumsy challenge where he intended to get the ball but didn't, is this not a foul and a red card? 
El Puto Amo
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 11:53am
MC Hammered and Baggio are right - not many fouls are intentional. The likes of Suarez in 2010 or Duffy taking out Greizmann in on goal during this Euros clearly were, but most fouls are mistimed tackles or overzealous barging etc.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Genuine question: By the letter of the law, if the last man (defender) takes down a striker who would be otherwise through on goal with a clumsy challenge where he intended to get the ball but didn't, is this not a foul and a red card? 
It's deemed 'careless' !!!!

The Law states ;

If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty

kick ;Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when

making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is

needed.

So if it is not intentional (but carelss) then it is still a foul but no caution is necessary.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

MC Hammered and Baggio are right - not many fouls are intentional
I disagree 100%.

Think Paul Scholes - serial fouler.

"when I've had to make a tackle, I've already made a mistake" - Paolo Maldini.

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 7:44pm

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

MC Hammered and Baggio are right - not many fouls are intentional

I disagree 100%.

Think Paul Scholes - serial fouler.

"when I've had to make a tackle, I've already made a mistake" - Paolo Maldini.

Fair play for producing the actual script Gaz.

It very open to interpretation isn't it. By that rational, going by the letter of the law, if the ref though Shane Duffy hadn't intended to take Griezmann down, it would have been a free and no red card?

Edit: I meant to quote the earlier post with the fouling rule included

Edited by MC Hammered - 08 Jul 2016 at 7:46pm
El Puto Amo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic