You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Player Transfers 2019/20/21 Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 126>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

David Meyler's been sent to Coventry.

That is an absolutely bizarre move. Fairly depressing day from an Irish viewpoint.

Disappointing, but not really a great surprise, and it had been rumoured all day. Reading are one of the poorest sides in the Championship and if he couldn't get a game, even with them, then he had no choice but to drop down a division.

He's always been a good Championship player and has won promotion from the division a couple of times. He was even a solid performer in the Premier League over a few seasons. To end up at a mid-table L1 team at only 29 is absolutely shocking.

You could say similar of Eunan O'Kane who is younger and more technically accomplished. I get the sense with Meyler that he's lost focus, he's got a large social media presence and seems to revel in his minor celebrity status. He talked about giving up the games last season and his first child was born recently. I just don't think he's as driven and committed as he was.

He's a year younger alright, dunno about more technically accomplished, Meyler is a very tidy (if unspectacular) midfielder. 

Surely you can't compare their career achievements though? Meyler has played a large portion of his career in the EPL, with the rest spent in the Championship usually challenging for promotion. Most of O'Kane's career has been spent between L2/L1/Championship, with a handful of EPL appearances thrown in.

O'Kane has more ability and his career decline has been steeper, but you're right, Meyler's had the more impressive career.
Sponsored Links

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:32pm
I think it comes as no coincidence the decline in Meylers career coincided with the growth in his YouTube status. He's clearly put one before the other and went with the YouTube status over putting in that bit of extra graft needed to get his game back up to the level it was once at. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:42pm
Joe Mason released by Wolves, a return to Plymouth seems likely.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 7:27am
John O'Sullivan has signed for Dundee on loan from Blackpool.
We're decent enough..
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 11:43am
Ryan Sweeney's loan to Mansfield from Stoke made permanent. Mansfield are in with a decent chance of playing League One next season and he's playing every game for them.

Disappointing though, as I really thought this fella has the potential to be at least Championship standard. Although he's still only 21, so plenty of time for development.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Ryan Corrigan Man City to Stoke on a permanent deal 

I see he's Liverpool born. At what under age levels has he played for us? Can't see him in recent U18 or U19 squads.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 3:41pm
18 transfers, 16 loans, four new contracts, and two managerial appointments for Irish players in the January 2019 transfer window: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog?id=4425907549771359565

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 11:27pm
Jimmy Keohane has left Cork to join Rochdale until the end of the season.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

18 transfers, 16 loans, four new contracts, and two managerial appointments for Irish players in the January 2019 transfer window: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog?id=4425907549771359565

Caoimhin Fowler signed for Cardiff on a free from Dordrecth
Los Aros View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Los Aros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 3:16pm
Aaron Bolger has joined Cardiff on loan.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Los Aros Los Aros wrote:

Interesting move. Anybody seen much of this lad? Only thing I’ve noticed is that he seems to have very short legs
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Originally posted by Los Aros Los Aros wrote:

Interesting move. Anybody seen much of this lad? Only thing I’ve noticed is that he seems to have very short legs

I've seen him play quite a bit. Technically excellent. Deep lying creative midfielder with a very good range of passing. Also comfortable taking the ball into space. Can be out run/out muscled and has been exposed this way (5:2 defeat to Dundalk last year a good example). Poor disciplinary record.
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 5:55pm
Surely the first LOI player to ever join a Premier League side on loan LOL
We're decent enough..
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 4:21am
A very random move. A loan move to a L1 or Championship side would have been random enough, never mind a premier league team. Hard to imagine what sort of game time he'll get considering the relegation fight they're in. Hope it goes well for him.

Edited by The Huntacha - 05 Feb 2019 at 4:23am
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 7:56pm
Eoghan stokes joins Derry.
We're decent enough..
DalyerRegular View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 4:35pm
Jordan Doherty joins Tampa Bay Rowdies on loan for the season.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 7:52pm
Callum Cockerill-Mollet joins Chasetown fc on loan.
Andy Lonergan joins Rochdale on loan.
We're decent enough..
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 5:15pm
Kevin O'Connor has rejoined Cork on loan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 126>
  Share Topic