You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 11:25am
I'm disappointed we gave them up but the appetite disappeared for most when we were knocked out.  

We could have restricted attendances to home based fans.  Although almost everyone I know that had tickets took the refund on offer in January.  In general we don't have the same appetite for football as neutrals than some other nations.  EG demand fell off a cliff for the 2011 Europa League final once Liverpool got knocked out.  Loads of free tickets doled out and still well short of capacity.  I really struggled to sell Turkey v Croatia (day before Sweden game in Paris) at face value on here and elsewhere.  

I agree it would be very different if we'd qualified.  I see in Scotland the SNP backtracked and are hosting games now.  The Tartan Army includes many fanatical Indy fans and no doubt Boris would have pressed for the Scotland games to be held in Newcastle if moved to England.  Somebody close to Nicola clearly had a word in her ear.       

With 1 in 1,000 transmissions happening outdoors these games could be held safely.  There are risks though on public transport, private coaches etc.  Remember the Polish buses around the Aviva for the games a few years back.  

In different times I'd probably still have gone to SPB.  It is a fabulous city but obviously not going now.     
Sponsored Links

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I'm disappointed we gave them up but the appetite disappeared for most when we were knocked out.  

We could have restricted attendances to home based fans.  Although almost everyone I know that had tickets took the refund on offer in January.  In general we don't have the same appetite for football as neutrals than some other nations.  EG demand fell off a cliff for the 2011 Europa League final once Liverpool got knocked out.  Loads of free tickets doled out and still well short of capacity.  I really struggled to sell Turkey v Croatia (day before Sweden game in Paris) at face value on here and elsewhere.  

I agree it would be very different if we'd qualified.  I see in Scotland the SNP backtracked and are hosting games now.  The Tartan Army includes many fanatical Indy fans and no doubt Boris would have pressed for the Scotland games to be held in Newcastle if moved to England.  Somebody close to Nicola clearly had a word in her ear.       

With 1 in 1,000 transmissions happening outdoors these games could be held safely.  There are risks though on public transport, private coaches etc.  Remember the Polish buses around the Aviva for the games a few years back.  

In different times I'd probably still have gone to SPB.  It is a fabulous city but obviously not going now.     
Question @gspain I presume you have a ticket for the last 16 game, now that it's moved to Wembley what's the craic with travel restrictions as they stand?  Was going to try and hop over and back for it providing I'm successful in the re-ballot. I really don't expect to spend long enough in London to get a PCR test and even though I'm fully vaccinated. Is it possible to have your negative test here in this country before you go to use coming back? 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
TigerRoll View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Question @gspain I presume you have a ticket for the last 16 game, now that it's moved to Wembley what's the craic with travel restrictions as they stand?  Was going to try and hop over and back for it providing I'm successful in the re-ballot. I really don't expect to spend long enough in London to get a PCR test and even though I'm fully vaccinated. Is it possible to have your negative test here in this country before you go to use coming back? 

Come June/July current restrictions will have altered once again. Vaccine passports are due into the United Kingdom in the immediate future, with most travel companies already been told behind closed doors to expect them around end of May. A trip via Belfast would avoid any tests that may remain in place in the CTA. 
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 8:11pm

You can definitely test here and use to return.  You must follow the rules carefully though.  You must be due back in Dublin within 72 hours of taking the test.  They do allow for flight delays.  

Test late Sunday 27th 
Result Monday 28th
Fly morning 29th
Fly home morning 30th then no problem.  

This is assuming non essential travel is allowed by then.  

Vaccine passports may be in by then as well removing the need for a test. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 8:29pm

I ahve tickets for the last 16 game, 4 of the 50 euro tickets. Gonna hold onto them to see what it's like by then. Will give them to London-based mates if we can't travel
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I ahve tickets for the last 16 game, 4 of the 50 euro tickets. Gonna hold onto them to see what it's like by then. Will give them to London-based mates if we can't travel
You can't hold on to them though, they are refunding them but given priority in a new ballot for the game in Wembley Afaik
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 7:37am

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

You can't hold on to them though, they are refunding them but given priority in a new ballot for the game in Wembley Afaik
Ah, missed that bit Embarrassed
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:33am
What's the odds that there will be crowds at GAA championship games later in the summer ? 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

What's the odds that there will be crowds at GAA championship games later in the summer ? 
Probably a decent chance with the pulling power they have. It was nice last summer getting into club games at least, was the highlight of a good few weeks.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 7:09pm

There are risks on public transport every day. It still has to run. 

I was at that final, completely neutral. Considering that most from Portugal didn't bother to show up, it was a good attendance. It was obviously overshadowed on the night by some other foreigner planting herself on her throne in Dublin Castle. Totally wrecked the transport network and access routes in and out of the city, and having left several hours before ko, I finally got to Lansdowne halfway through the first half. 

Romania and Azerbaijan are not in the Euros, but they're still holding group games. It's a wonderful opportunity to showcase themselves on the world stage and they're taking advantage of it. Obviously they're more confident in their version of the HSE coping with any mass mid summer spikes caused by hosting the tournament with reduced capacity. Us? Because there's a 1 in 1000 risk of transmission, we're closed for business. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

I was at that final, completely neutral. Considering that most from Portugal didn't bother to show up, it was a good attendance. It was obviously overshadowed on the night by some other foreigner planting herself on her throne in Dublin Castle. Totally wrecked the transport network and access routes in and out of the city, and having left several hours before ko, I finally got to Lansdowne halfway through the first half. 

Romania and Azerbaijan are not in the Euros, but they're still holding group games. It's a wonderful opportunity to showcase themselves on the world stage and they're taking advantage of it. Obviously they're more confident in their version of the HSE coping with any mass mid summer spikes caused by hosting the tournament with reduced capacity. Us? Because there's a 1 in 1000 risk of transmission, we're closed for business. 
Would ya go away out of that, nobody gives a fook what city the games are in, they all look the same on Tv
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 4:49pm
I wonder would hosting the games with reduced capacity actually cost the FAI more money? Secondly, the boost hosting games usually has with fans spending their money in the city etc have also played a part with Dublin City council? Is using the pandemic a covenient excuse to save face and money by both the FAI and Dublin City council?
It would damage this forums' reputation
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Of course it still has to run - to get people to work, school or hospital etc.

I'm not sure getting people to a football match between two visiting teams fulfils the same essential need.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 9:12pm
I generally look forward to the euros & world cups but never felt as much apathy I have towards this tournament.

Even though we were selected as hosts, I hated the format from day 1 in having it so many countries.  

That said, I'm slowly starting to look forward to the tournament kicking off and would like to see Holland win it. 

It's all set up for England to do very well. They'll at least make the semi final. 

Given the match ups, England would have more incentive to finish second in their group and avoid Portugal/France or Germany at Wembley in the last 16. If they finish second in the group they would play Sweden or Poland in Copenhagen. Even with home advantage, I think they'd prefer the latter. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 9:25pm
Can't see the dutch doing well with De Boer in charge still remember when José destroyed him
I read something, some quote from the worst manager in the history of the Premier League – Frank de Boer. What he was saying was not good for Marcus Rashford to have a coach like me, because the most important thing for me is to win.
If he was coached by Frank he would lose because he lost every game.
Fancy Turkey to do well good form same manager as 02 decent players.

Italy going in under the radar will be interesting to watch

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by wexfordman1 wexfordman1 wrote:

Can't see the dutch doing well with De Boer in charge still remember when José destroyed him
I read something, some quote from the worst manager in the history of the Premier League – Frank de Boer. What he was saying was not good for Marcus Rashford to have a coach like me, because the most important thing for me is to win.

Surprised at your Turkey shout as it's a very tight group they are in. You'd expect Italy and Switzerland to finish ahead of them. If Turkey can get a draw against Italy in Rome in the first match and get some momentum,  I'd fancy them to beat Wales.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by wexfordman1 wexfordman1 wrote:

Surprised at your Turkey shout as it's a very tight group they are in. You'd expect Italy and Switzerland to finish ahead of them. If Turkey can get a draw against Italy in Rome in the first match and get some momentum,  I'd fancy them to beat Wales.

I would definitely fancy Turkey to finish above the Swiss and the Welsh.
mouldymould View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouldymould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 2:27pm
Is anyone planning on getting tickets for last 16 match in Wembley? I'm wondering when will UEFA send out the emails for buying match tickets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
  Share Topic