Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54207
Printed Date: 07 May 2024 at 8:33pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Euro 2020
Posted By: Healy52003
Subject: Euro 2020
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:06pm
only 4 years away lol and is probly relisticly our next chance of getting to a major finals (bar a balls of a qualification draw or we get to russia in 2018)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020

For the Nations League if we can get in the seed 2/3 draw and win our group than we have a backup if our main qualification campaign goes pear shaped

Replies:
Posted By: darragh90
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 11:43am
This whole UEFA nations league format is terribly confusing! Who fancies explaining it all here?!

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 12:20pm
Right for my understanding 20 teams will qualify through the normal procedure similar to how it is done was done for 2016 with 55 teams divided into 10 groups of 5 top two qualify, no playoff for third

the other four slots will be determined by teams in the UEFA Nations league who haven't qualified say Each League has 4 groups of 3 1 from each will go through.
say for example League A Group 1 had Spain, Italy and Germany and  League A Group 2 had
France, Portugal and England

Spain, Germany, Italy,France qualified via the normal procedure above. Italy would playoff against England for a spot

This would be the same for all the other divisions, meaning someone like Andorra,or San Marino could have a chance of qualifying from League D playoffs which is crazy to think

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 12:28pm
In terms of that Group D Teams would most likely be the 12 in the groups, you'd have to fancy someone like Macedonia or Cyprus or perhaps even Kosovo to qualify for 2020 via the group D playoffs

Cyprus    
Moldova    
Macedonia    
Kazakhstan    
Luxembourg    
Liechtenstein    
Faroe Islands    
Malta    
Andorra
San Marino
Gibraltar
Kosovo

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 12:49pm
20 of the 24 spots for the finals tournament will be decided from the main qualifying process but no play offs this time.
10 groups and the top 2 will qualify. (We should be 2nd seeds here so need to finish top 2.)

Leaving four spots still to be decided through the Euro League.

The Euro league is split into 4 based on the UEFA co-efficients
League A 12 teams - top seeds
League B 12 teams - 2nd seeds
League C 14 teams - 3rd seeds
League D the rest- 4th seeds 

Each league gets 1 place for the EURO's so a bit of a lottery process to get through. This is were it gets messy.

All in all, it means one team from League D (Andorra, Faroe, San Marino etc) will get through which is fair enough.

If everybody from League A already qualifies, then League B get 2 places and so on.

-------------

Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 1:21pm
you mean we don't qualify automatically as co-hosts.....Angry aaah hereeeee

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

20 of the 24 spots for the finals tournament will be decided from the main qualifying process but no play offs this time.
10 groups and the top 2 will qualify. (We should be 2nd seeds here so need to finish top 2.)

Leaving four spots still to be decided through the Euro League.

The Euro league is split into 4 based on the UEFA co-efficients
League A 12 teams - top seeds
League B 12 teams - 2nd seeds
League C 14 teams - 3rd seeds
League D the rest- 4th seeds 

Each league gets 1 place for the EURO's so a bit of a lottery process to get through. This is were it gets messy.

All in all, it means one team from League D (Andorra, Faroe, San Marino etc) will get through which is fair enough.

If everybody from League A already qualifies, then League B get 2 places and so on.

Summed up better then I ever did Clap

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 1:35pm
Jesus that's very Topsy turvy I understand that it gives the smaller teams a chance...but its all over the place. Realistically if we have a terrible 2018 campaign we can pray to get into the D division which will give us a great chance of qualifying for 2020!! UEFA.....never change!!!

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 1:37pm
Also the 4 teams that come through the Nations league and qualify will presumably not be involved in the Regular qualifying tournament? Just play friendlies for the rest of the campaign I presume? 

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 1:47pm
Looking at the co-efficient rankings at the moment

LEAGUE A LEAGUE B LEAGUE C LEAGUE D
Germany Bosnia Norway Belarus
Spain Ukraine Slovenia Georgia
England Czech Rep Iceland Azerbaijan
Portugal Sweden Wales Lativia
Belgium Poland Scotland Cyprus
Italy Romania Albania Moldova
Netherlands Slovakia Monternegro Macedonia
France Hungary N Ireland Kazakhstan
Russia Denmark Serbia Luxembourg
Switzerland Turkey Finland Liechtenstein
Austria Ireland Bulgaria Faroe Islands
Croatia Greece Armenia Malta

Estonia Andorra

Lithunia San Marino

Gilbratar

Kosovo

As far as I know (Football Manager experience) it's an open draw of the teams no one I'd really fear from League B tbh- I know it will all change come the draw but we'd most likely still be in second league

Posted By: edthered
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 1:48pm
No- I believe they run concurrently. I think the whole idea of the NL is to get rid of meaningless friendlies and replace them with more games against teams of your own calibre

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by edthered edthered wrote:

No- I believe they run concurrently. I think the whole idea of the NL is to get rid of meaningless friendlies and replace them with more games against teams of your own calibre

Yep, Can see us Yoyoing between League A and B tbh depending on the group we're drawn into

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 1:58pm
https://splstats.wordpress.com/2014/04/02/the-uefa-nations-league-explained/%20" rel="nofollow - https://splstats.wordpress.com/2014/04/02/the-uefa-nations-league-explained/

Good summary here!

Posted By: France16
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 2:07pm
Is this 2 be run every 2 years?

Therefore only every second nations league has qualification implications

In theory for the nations league in World Cup cycles you would be better off getting relegated to improve chance in the following nations league.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 3:25pm
Looking forward to a few more away friendlies anyway, I assume in the Nations League it would be 50/50 home and away. We seem to play far too many home friendlies

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Looking forward to a few more away friendlies anyway, I assume in the Nations League it would be 50/50 home and away. We seem to play far too many home friendlies

Aye it be home and away fixtures so two at home and two away..playoffs are neutral ground I believe

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 9:31pm
Another good thing about this is that the normal qualifying campaign is more condensed, and not spread out over 14 or 15 months.
At the moment, and for this this Russia qual campaign,

1 match in Sept 2016
2 matches in Oct 2016
1 match in Nov 2016 (then wait 4 months until)
1 match in Mar 2017 (then wait 3 months until)
1 match in June 2017 (then wait 3 months until)
2 matches in Sept 2017
2 matches in Oct 2017
And maybe 2 playoff matches in Nov 2017.

With the new format for Euro 2020 we will play

2 matches in Sept 2018 Nations League
2 matches in Oct 2018 Nations League
2 matches in Nov 2018 Nations League

Then the Euro 2020 qual campaign proper (10 games) has

2 matches in March 2019
2 matches in June 2019
2 matches in Sept 2019
2 matches in Oct 2019
2 matches in Nov 2019

More condensed, no waiting around for months and months between matches, the Nations League will keep us occupied with 6 competitive matches in Autumn 2018 and then we have 10 qual matches in an 8/9 month span......UEFA......you genius's

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 9:12am
I was always in favour of bringing the qualifying campaign closer together, but the argument I was told before was that for weaker countries if a star gets injured he could miss more.

Imagine if Wales lost Bale for 2 months and missed 6/10 qualifying games

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Imagine if Wales lost Bale for 2 months and missed 6/10 qualifying games

id take that this campaign

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 12:33pm
Just checked the odds for this - England are the favs just ahead of Belgium and France.

With the form of Stones / Fogden / Kane and semifinals and final at home they have a fighting chance. 
The only question would be defence and do they have the bottle?

Lots of attacking options -
Sterling 
Kane
Foden
Sancho 
Rashford
Grealish 
Rashford

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 12:37pm
I like the look of Portugal! I’ll be backing them.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

They are about 12/1 and have a better team than in 2016.
Ronnie is still knocking them in and Dias / Felix / Fernandez / Cancelo all in good form. 

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 12:42pm
Would like to Spain or Belgium win it. Don’t fancy England against a real heavyweight. Don’t like France, find them boring to watch.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 12:56pm

Ronnie is still knocking them in and Dias / Felix / Fernandez / Cancelo all in good form. 

That’s a massive price! If only they could find a top quality CB to partner Dias in the next few months.

Posted By: Englishborn
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Would like to Spain or Belgium win it. Don’t fancy England against a real heavyweight. Don’t like France, find them boring to watch.
I fancy England against anyone apart from France. Attacking wise we have some of the best players in the world. Plus a plethora of top fullbacks.  Defensively we look stronger with stones back to his best. Hopefully gomez. Tomori playing for Milan. Young defenders playing well like konsa. I would say semi finals is realistic 

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:18pm

Just checked the odds for this - England are the favs just ahead of Belgium and France.

With the form of Stones / Fogden / Kane and semifinals and final at home they have a fighting chance. 
The only question would be defence and do they have the bottle?

Lots of attacking options -
Sterling 
Kane
Foden
Sancho 
Rashford
Grealish 
Rashford

Maddison barnes dcl Abraham odoi saka ings mount 

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:28pm

Andre Silva has 18 in 20. Not quite lived up to his next CR7 tag but he's finally showing quality after his disastrous spell at Milan.

Not sure how they're gonna fit all 4 attacking players in a system but the 12/1 is seriously undervalued odds. 

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:30pm

I’d like Belgium to win it but I’m not sure if their defence is good enough. 

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:36pm
On current form I would go with this 11:

Rui Patricio
Cancelo 
Dias
Ruben Semedo
Guerreiro
Danilo Pereira
Ruben Neves
Bruno Fernandes
Bernardo Silva 
Joao Felix
Ronaldo

Bench isn’t bad either with the likes of Jota, Andre Silva, Trincao, Moutinho, Guedes and Ricardo Pereira to name a few.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:37pm
Italy could be an outside bet. A decent squad, if they can keep Immobile fit he's lethal in front of goal. I like Belotti aswell. Probably not strong enough to win it but you never know.

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:38pm
england look good on paper. only thing i can see working against them is southgate. they were woeful at the world cup, fluking their way to the semi. i can see him screwing this up.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:38pm

Rui Patricio
Cancelo 
Dias
Ruben Semedo
Guerreiro
Danilo Pereira
Ruben Neves
Bruno Fernandes
Bernardo Silva 
Joao Felix
Ronaldo

Bench isn’t bad either with the likes of Jota, Andre Silva, Trincao, Moutinho, Guedes and Ricardo Pereira to name a few.

That looks pretty tasty. God if we only had a few of them...

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

I fancy England against anyone apart from France. Attacking wise we have some of the best players in the world. Plus a plethora of top fullbacks.  Defensively we look stronger with stones back to his best. Hopefully gomez. Tomori playing for Milan. Young defenders playing well like konsa. I would say semi finals is realistic 
Using the recent nations league as a guide I wouldn’t fancy them to win the tournament.

England failed to score in 3 of the 4 games against Denmark and Belgium (the standard of team theyll meet in the knockout stage) despite having all these best players in the world.

Semis is a possibility but that can be said about 10 teams.
Italy look good value.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

Rui Patricio
Cancelo 
Dias
Ruben Semedo
Guerreiro
Danilo Pereira
Ruben Neves
Bruno Fernandes
Bernardo Silva 
Joao Felix
Ronaldo

We luckily get to play them in a few months! Hopefully they have a Euro hangover.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

england look good on paper. only thing i can see working against them is southgate. they were woeful at the world cup, fluking their way to the semi. i can see him screwing this up.

They're overdue a Keeper cock-up for the who world to see again also!

Pickford has been awful, Pope hasn't been great which hasn't been helped by his defence and Henderson doesn't play so another calamity at the back is inevitable 

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:54pm
Would tend to agree with Coyner somewhat. Biggest weakness is probably at GK. Also if they win their group they the play the runner up of Group F likely to be one of Portugal, Germany or France (With all due respect to Hungary) in the last 16

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Would tend to agree with Coyner somewhat. Biggest weakness is probably at GK. Also if they win their group they the play the runner up of Group F likely to be one of Portugal, Germany or France (With all due respect to Hungary) in the last 16
true regarding the gk. that make two major weaknesses.

they'd be beaten by all three if they employ the same tactics as they did at the wc. colombia tried the physical approach but forgot to actually play the game, sweden are just sh*te yet still got england to pens and then england got found out against a croatia side who were no great shakes either. 

portugal or france would have disposed of england at the wc. although they may perhaps have beaten a woefully out of luck germany at the time.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 2:06pm

true regarding the gk. that make two major weaknesses.

they'd be beaten by all three if they employ the same tactics as they did at the wc. colombia tried the physical approach but forgot to actually play the game, sweden are just sh*te yet still got england to pens and then england got found out against a croatia side who were no great shakes either. 

portugal or france would have disposed of england at the wc. although they may perhaps have beaten a woefully out of luck germany at the time.

This is true LOL

Colombia were well up for it, they just decided to play a completely different form of football to England's benefit LOL

Posted By: GaretFarellysNutSack
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 2:13pm
Without Googling it, I thought Sweden were beaten 2-0 by England. 
They have a scary amount of talent at the moment.
RE Euro 2020, I wasn't exactly enamoured with the Scottish fans when I took the train up from London to see them against MON's Ireland, wouldn't it be hilarious if no fans get to go to their first tournament in 20-odd years?
Even Scotland have some very good players right now, whereas we really have nothing going for us at the moment, sigh. 

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

Without Googling it, I thought Sweden were beaten 2-0 by England. 
They have a scary amount of talent at the moment.
RE Euro 2020, I wasn't exactly enamoured with the Scottish fans when I took the train up from London to see them against MON's Ireland, wouldn't it be hilarious if no fans get to go to their first tournament in 20-odd years?
Even Scotland have some very good players right now, whereas we really have nothing going for us at the moment, sigh. 

correct my bad. 2 shots on target, 2 goals. england were clinical to their credit in a fairly even game.

-------------

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 2:31pm
Home advantage and a lot of patriotic bets has England at a bad price.

Assuming they win the group then they need to beat one of France/Germany or Portugal and then Spain just to make the semi finals.   As runners up they'd meet Poland and then the winners of the France/Germany/Portugal group.

I know it doesn't always work out as expected but they have a very tough route to the Final.  

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

Rui Patricio
Cancelo 
Dias
Ruben Semedo
Guerreiro
Danilo Pereira
Ruben Neves
Bruno Fernandes
Bernardo Silva 
Joao Felix
Ronaldo

Looking forward to all the "they're fairly average really" posts when we play them later this year

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 3:10pm
Realistically, there's probably a good chance Portugal will exceed Germany's 6-1 win over us in Dublin. Then again, they have a history of underperforming against minnows in these campaigns.

It'll be interesting to watch what Portugal team turns up anyway.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:45pm
Portugal would be my pick at the minute too

Can't keep saying Belgium, i don't think they'll ever cross the rubicon and win a tournament

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:50pm

Rui Patricio
Cancelo 
Dias
Ruben Semedo
Guerreiro
Danilo Pereira
Ruben Neves
Bruno Fernandes
Bernardo Silva 
Joao Felix
Ronaldo

Oh my focking god are they gonna take us to the cleaners when we meet them in qualifying CryLOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Rui Patricio
Cancelo 
Dias
Ruben Semedo
Guerreiro
Danilo Pereira
Ruben Neves
Bruno Fernandes
Bernardo Silva 
Joao Felix
Ronaldo

Oh my focking god are they gonna take us to the cleaners when we meet them in qualifying CryLOL

Yeah but we have a Jeff Hendrick.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Can't keep saying Belgium, i don't think they'll ever cross the rubicon and win a tournament

Would have been said about Spain before Euro 2008

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 6:13pm

The Italians did Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 6:44pm

Should have done better in 2016 and were close to winning it in 2018. 2020 and 2022 the last Chance for this golden generation. 

-------------

Posted By: Jimmy Raggatip
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

a lot of patriotic bets has England at a bad price.

betting is a pretty global game now! Patriotism doesn't explain how England are favourites worldwide not just in the UK

I echo the Portugal shouts and think the 6/1 available on them to win their group is better value than 12/1 to win the whole thing

I like to target group winners that are guaranteed to play a runner up in the last 8 when betting on the outright, Portugal would fall into that category should they win the group, as well as Holland. However I can't see the latter winning without van Dijk being fit.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:44pm

Belgium is an odd one, golden generation is probably at the age you'd think it's their last big chance, 2 or 4 years on from this they'll be an old team

Courtois - 28
De Bruyne - 29
Hazard - 30
Lukaku - 27

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

a lot of patriotic bets has England at a bad price.

I echo the Portugal shouts and think the 6/1 available on them to win their group is better value than 12/1 to win the whole thing

I like to target group winners that are guaranteed to play a runner up in the last 8 when betting on the outright, Portugal would fall into that category should they win the group, as well as Holland. However I can't see the latter winning without van Dijk being fit.

That’s a good shout as they are playing Hungry first.
Win that and it takes some of the pressure off.

Play Germany and then France.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 10:39pm
http:////news.sky.com/story/covid-19-revealed-whitehall-plans-for-rapid-reopening-of-shops-pubs-and-restaurants-12221180" rel="nofollow - http:////news.sky.com/story/covid-19-revealed-whitehall-plans-for-rapid-reopening-of-shops-pubs-and-restaurants-12221180

England on the right track to host this if it goes to a single country.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 10:42pm

http:////news.sky.com/story/covid-19-revealed-whitehall-plans-for-rapid-reopening-of-shops-pubs-and-restaurants-12221180" rel="nofollow - http:////news.sky.com/story/covid-19-revealed-whitehall-plans-for-rapid-reopening-of-shops-pubs-and-restaurants-12221180

Providing the Tories don't f**k up the re-openings again 

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 11:19pm

Fortunately the folk running the vaccine operation have been left to do the job. Given the numbers vaccinated to date (nearly a 1/3 of the population of England) re-opening in April should be fine.

-------------

Posted By: Frabhoy
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 11:47pm

Fortunately the folk running the vaccine operation have been left to do the job. Given the numbers vaccinated to date (nearly a 1/3 of the population of England) re-opening in April should be fine.

Well half vacinated - most still need the second dose. I think there is talk that the efl cup final will trial 30,000 fans in April. 

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:10am
The Tories are doing a great job getting folk to focus on the jab numbers and ignore the case / death numbers. Like everyone else there’s too much of the virus in communities to consider lifting as per the the leaked document.

It’s still a long road ahead - if they jump the gun cases and deaths will continue but hey... we got to host a football event.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

The Tories are doing a great job getting folk to focus on the jab numbers and ignore the case / death numbers. Like everyone else there’s too much of the virus in communities to consider lifting as per the the leaked document.

It’s still a long road ahead - if they jump the gun cases and deaths will continue but hey... we got to host a football event.

By the time the Euro comes around everybody in the high risk category (25M) will have 2 doses (this is due end of April).
I would imagine all adults will have had one dose by then so the UK will be in a much different place then...

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 7:47pm

Give it to the Brits so we can have a normal Euros 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518

Stage three

No earlier than 17 May:

• Performances and large events can resume, with some limits. For indoor events they can be at half capacity or 1,000 people, and outdoors they can be at half capacity or 4,000 people - whichever is lower. For large venues (at least 40,000 capacity) up to 10,000 will be allowed to attend
  • International travel will resume no earlier than 17 May

Stage four

No earlier than 21 June:

• All legal limits on social contact will be removed
  • No legal limits on the number of people who can attend weddings, funerals and other life events. From April, the government will run pilots for events such as large weddings, festivals and work conferences. This will help to determine how measures such as enhanced testing might allow large groups to attend without social distancing
  • Nightclubs and theatres will be allowed to reopen

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 7:51pm
No restrictions on the semi's and final at Wembley. If things keep progressing the way they are I can see England, Scotland and possibly Wales hosting the tournament. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/uk-virus-roadmap-offers-hope-174702742.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly90LmNvL2RMd2h4a3VjZFQ_YW1wPTE&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAATgJnpuL-QGK5txZLGgtJTyGqOCEkircHv3T-i91DNibWeyPo2QW_BHGBB548lxbQpL4v6PR16S1ugF9cwwWwqAAZP3YaqmKuQE5KQNhV7Br8oiaVKImP-Kd9cLZxq2NBs7yjQRYeRJ0Eb7NBC4m7rMK-lzc1U_dk_nPwsbSsCH" rel="nofollow - http://sports.yahoo.com/uk-virus-roadmap-offers-hope-174702742.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly90LmNvL2RMd2h4a3VjZFQ_YW1wPTE&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAATgJnpuL-QGK5txZLGgtJTyGqOCEkircHv3T-i91DNibWeyPo2QW_BHGBB548lxbQpL4v6PR16S1ugF9cwwWwqAAZP3YaqmKuQE5KQNhV7Br8oiaVKImP-Kd9cLZxq2NBs7yjQRYeRJ0Eb7NBC4m7rMK-lzc1U_dk_nPwsbSsCH

-------------

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:04pm

If that’s the case after well over half the country being vaccinated/offered the vaccine then it will be a case of get on with life what do we do lock away forever.

Anyways as for Euro 2021 Ireland might see fans in stadiums by 2025 if our lot are anything to go by.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:20pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518

Stage three

No earlier than 17 May:

• Performances and large events can resume, with some limits. For indoor events they can be at half capacity or 1,000 people, and outdoors they can be at half capacity or 4,000 people - whichever is lower. For large venues (at least 40,000 capacity) up to 10,000 will be allowed to attend

Stage four

No earlier than 21 June:

• No legal limits on the number of people who can attend weddings, funerals and other life events. From April, the government will run pilots for events such as large weddings, festivals and work conferences. This will help to determine how measures such as enhanced testing might allow large groups to attend without social distancing

There's a lot of if's in there. Vaccine Role out or not the Brits have f**ked up every re-opening so far.

-------------

Posted By: JohnSwift
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:43pm
Giving the Euros to Britain would seem like the sensible option at this stage. They seem to have got their act together. They’ve gambled with the vaccines and the early studies would suggest it’s working. Some great stadia to host the matches as well.

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:30pm
The vaccine they're rolling out in the UK is considerably less effective in percentage terms than the ones being rolled out in Ireland, elsewhere in Europe and the US. It is also far more prone to being bypassed by new variants than the other vaccines. Given how the UK has handled the pandemic so far I can see the whole vaccination program there failing when the south African or Brazilian variant takes hold and the vaccine theyve given half the country becomes useless to them.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The vaccine they're rolling out in the UK is considerably less effective in percentage terms than the ones being rolled out in Ireland, elsewhere in Europe and the US. It is also far more prone to being bypassed by new variants than the other vaccines. Given how the UK has handled the pandemic so far I can see the whole vaccination program there failing when the south African or Brazilian variant takes hold and the vaccine theyve given half the country becomes useless to them.

Is the Pfizer vaccine the UK are using different to the one Ireland / Europe are using? They are coming from the same factory so how are they splitting the good ones from the bad ones? They better not mix them up and give those b***ards the good ones.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:30pm
The vast majority of the UK population are being given AstraZenica, hence the faster rollout. It's only around 60% effective compared to the likes of Pfizer at 90%+.

They'll end up having to re-vaccinate the entire population.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:36pm

The vast majority of the UK population are being given AstraZenica, hence the faster rollout. It's only around 60% effective compared to the likes of Pfizer at 90%+.

Is that the same with the North? I thought Pfizer was the main one being used up here.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:40pm

Okay so the 40M Pfizer vaccines the Uk have ordered is the same as the one for the rest of Europe.

Everybody in the world will have to be vaccinated again -  with so many variants this is looking like an annual vaccine similar to the flu. 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:46pm

Is that the same with the North? I thought Pfizer was the main one being used up here.

The hospitals all seem to be using the Pfizer ones as they have the facilities to store them.

If you are going to your local GP it’s more likely to be the AstraZenica.

The % split between Pfizer and AZ has never been released so nobody knows if the vast majority has gotten the Pfizer / AZ or if it’s evenly split. 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:49pm

The hospitals all seem to be using the Pfizer ones as they have the facilities to store them.

The % split between Pfizer and AZ has never been released so nobody knows if the vast majority has gotten the Pfizer / AZ or if it’s evenly split. 

Cheers. 

Are the ‘effective percentages’ mentioned above correct?

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:55pm

Cheers. 

Are the ‘effective percentages’ mentioned above correct?

All the drug companies are obviously pushing theirs as the best and there has been a number of ranges published. 
AZ in particular has had mixed reviews. 

Pfizer would definitely seem the preferred option if you have the choice.

-------------

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:56pm

Latest Update from earlier today:

The first results of the UK's vaccination rollout suggests it is having a "spectacular impact on preventing serious illness" from coronavirus. Research led by Public Health Scotland found that at four weeks after the first dose, Covid hospital admissions were reduced by 85% for the Pfizer jab, and 94% for the AstraZeneca jab. Lead researcher Prof Aziz Sheikh said the results were "very, very" impressive and both vaccines were working "spectacularly".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56140072" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56140072

And from yesterday:
There is "early data" showing a reduction in transmission in people who have had a coronavirus vaccine, the health secretary has said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56145392" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56145392

Thanks, I'll pass it on.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:05pm
Further detail on effectiveness in preventing serious illness, also on an apparent beneficial effect on reducing transmission here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56153617" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56153617

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:07pm
It's understandable that the UK media want to put a positive spin on AZ, considering that the government there are pumping it into the population as fast as they can get their hands on the stuff and the public are desperate for some good news.

However, here are the details of the actual clinical test results undertaken in respect of the vaccine. It's efficiacy is 60%. Better than no vaccine and therefore approved by the EU, but poor compared to the likes of Pfizer.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/ema-recommends-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-authorisation-eu" rel="nofollow - https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/ema-recommends-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-authorisation-eu

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:13pm

Stage three

No earlier than 17 May:

Stage four

No earlier than 21 June:

There's a lot of if's in there. Vaccine Role out or not the Brits have f**ked up every re-opening so far.

f**k off with that word 'brits'. Some of u lot really enjoy that word. It makes me sick

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:21pm
I know this isn't important.  But I've never considered myself a 'Brit' or British. I never will.  I have always considered myself English and English only.  There ive got it off my chest. Many Scots feel Scottish only. Many Welsh consider themselves welsh only. U don't need to reply to this. It had to be said. End of. Nothing more to say. The end

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:27pm

It's understandable that the UK media want to put a positive spin on AZ, considering that the government there are pumping it into the population as fast as they can get their hands on the stuff and the public are desperate for some good news.
And are eg Public Health Scotland putting a "positive spin" on their results?

However, here are the details of the actual clinical test results undertaken in respect of the vaccine. It's efficiacy is 60%. Better than no vaccine and therefore approved by the EU, but poor compared to the likes of Pfizer.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/ema-recommends-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-authorisation-eu" rel="nofollow - https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/ema-recommends-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-authorisation-eu
You do not appear to know the difference between Efficacy, derived from clinical trials in the laboratory; and Effectiveness, derived from live trials in the population.

You are citing the former, and with results nearly a month old at that (as per your link).

Whereas the latter are more reliable, especially when up-to-date (as per my link).

More here: https://www.qlik.com/blog/know-your-data-vaccines-whats-the-difference-between-effectiveness-and-efficacy" rel="nofollow - https://www.qlik.com/blog/know-your-data-vaccines-whats-the-difference-between-effectiveness-and-efficacy

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

Stage three

No earlier than 17 May:

Stage four

No earlier than 21 June:

f**k off with that word 'brits'. Some of u lot really enjoy that word. It makes me sick

The Brits are at it again.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:32pm

I do like the transparency of the vaccine type breakdown on Ireland’s covid app and data hub. Odd the UK don’t do the same or maybe they do or maybe we’re the outlier and most countries don’t provide this data.

If the multi country hosts thing doesn’t go ahead UK seems the most sensible choice. I don’t think too many countries would be putting their hands up - I know Israel did and the Turks might.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

And are eg Public Health Scotland putting a "positive spin" on their results?

You do not appear to know the difference between Efficacy, derived from clinical trials in the laboratory; and Effectiveness, derived from live trials in the population.

You are citing the former, and with results nearly a month old at that (as per your link).

Whereas the latter are more reliable, especially when up-to-date (as per my link).

More here: https://www.qlik.com/blog/know-your-data-vaccines-whats-the-difference-between-effectiveness-and-efficacy" rel="nofollow - https://www.qlik.com/blog/know-your-data-vaccines-whats-the-difference-between-effectiveness-and-efficacy

I know exactly what efficacy means, that's why I stated the efficacy of the vaccine with a link to back it up. Your link relates to hospital admissions but doesn't seem to provide any details regarding overall infection. It's only telling one part of the story. Like I said, it's better than no vaccine at all, but there are huge question marks. And the UK government are playing with fire by widening the gap between the administering of the two doses contrary to scientific advice.

Best of luck to them, but they have bolloxed up everything else to do with Covid in the UK up to now, I'll believe Johnson's June date for a full reopening when it happens and not before then.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:59pm

I do like the transparency of the vaccine type breakdown on Ireland’s covid app and data hub. Odd the UK don’t do the same or maybe they do or maybe we’re the outlier and most countries don’t provide this data.

I don't know for certain why, but I suspect that the UK approach derives from two things.

The first was the decision that in order to give twice as many people a first jab, it was decided to have a 3 month interval betwen A-Z jabs, rather than a 3 week interval.

And the second was questions raised by EU critics (esp Macron) about the efficacy of the A-Z jab.

Meaning that the UK didn't want people to start insisting on one vaccine over the other, possibly even declining altogether.

Of course there is a risk that people would ask: "What are they hiding?", but experience has shown this not to be the case, since vaccine take-up has been much higher than initially feared..

This is probably because the single jab policy has produced good results, with it since being recommended by the World Health Organisation earlier this month:
https://inews.co.uk/news/health/oxford-vaccine-rest-world-should-follow-uk-lead-in-leaving-12-week-gap-between-doses-says-who-866743" rel="nofollow - https://inews.co.uk/news/health/oxford-vaccine-rest-world-should-follow-uk-lead-in-leaving-12-week-gap-between-doses-says-who-866743

And as for Macron, his credibility was severely undermined when his own Health Minister, Olivier Veran, flatly contadicted him over the A-Z jab, even lining up to receive the jab himself after Macron himself had already contracted the virus!
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/frances-health-minister-receives-astrazeneca-jab-40065437.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/frances-health-minister-receives-astrazeneca-jab-40065437.html

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 12:26am

I know exactly what efficacy means, that's why I stated the efficacy of the vaccine with a link to back it up.
Then you will know that Effectiveness is more telling than Efficacy.

Besides which, your link was nearly a month old, mine was todays.

And the hospital admission rate is the single most important indicator when assessing any Covid vaccine, since it demonstrates (ahem) vaccine effectiveness in preventing death and serious illness. On which point, the Scottish results were described as "spectacular" [sic].

Your link...           ... doesn't seem to provide any details regarding overall infection. It's only telling one part of the story.
If you look at the second link I provided it indicated that the latest data suggests that vaccines may also reduce transmission, which would be a huge bonus over the protection given. However, it is too early to be definitive.

Like I said, it's better than no vaccine at all, but there are huge question marks.
"Huge"?

Such questions as have been raised are being answered by both testing and experience as the vaccination programme rolls out. And so far the answers are largely encouraging.

And the UK government are playing with fire by widening the gap between the administering of the two doses contrary to scientific advice.
I appreciate that my most recent post came after the above comment, but I will reiterate the relevant link:

(From 10 February 2021)

Oxford vaccine: Rest of the world should follow UK lead in leaving 12 week gap between doses, says WHO

The rest of the world should follow the UK’s lead and allow up to 12 weeks between doses of the Oxford/AstraZenica vaccine, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has said in a vindication of the Government’s last-minute change of strategy to its rollout programme.

Vaccine efficacy tended to be higher when the interval between doses was longer. This, together with the finding of higher antibody levels with increasing interdose interval, supports the conclusion that longer dose intervals within the 4–12 weeks range are associated with greater vaccine efficacy.”
(More here: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-2019-nCoV-vaccines-SAGE_recommendation-AZD1222-2021.1" rel="nofollow - https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-2019-nCoV-vaccines-SAGE_recommendation-AZD1222-2021.1 )

Best of luck to them, but they have bolloxed up everything else to do with Covid in the UK up to now, I'll believe Johnson's June date for a full reopening when it happens and not before then.
You may be right, you may be wrong.

But we have been discussing vaccine effectiveness (or if you prefer, efficacy Wink).

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 6:50am
Anyway, back on topic.

The UK are planning on re-opening everything mid June and unless another variant comes along that means the Pfizer/AZ vaccines are useless, I suspect it will open then. 

UEFA are making the decision in March but I assume the current hosts would have to agree to any decision made.
Does Dublin want to give up their games? What’s the general feeling? 

-------------

Posted By: Roberto_Carlow
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 7:26am
General feeling from Uefa is they are desperate to keep the format as it is and will do everything they can to keep it that way. With it being summer, and still some months away, i'd say they have a decent chance of going ahead as planned, with a decent percentage of fans in grounds compared to the zero we are at right now.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

General feeling from Uefa is they are desperate to keep the format as it is and will do everything they can to keep it that way. With it being summer, and still some months away, i'd say they have a decent chance of going ahead as planned, with a decent percentage of fans in grounds compared to the zero we are at right now.

Yeah I can see it going ahead as planned and UEFA will leave it up to each country to decide on how many fans to allow into the stadiums.

The UK will obviously have Wembley full for the semifinal and final.

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 8:47am

Anyway, back on topic.

The UK are planning on re-opening everything mid June and unless another variant comes along that means the Pfizer/AZ vaccines are useless, I suspect it will open then. 

UEFA are making the decision in March but I assume the current hosts would have to agree to any decision made.
Does Dublin want to give up their games? What’s the general feeling? 
They won't change plan now, regardless of what happens. They have gone with the lunatic fringe of a lunatic party and it could end up going anyway. My fear is they want to use this an excuse to fully sell of the NHS and make a few more million for their mates, but that's probably for elsewhere.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: AonSceal19
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:47am

It would be an irresponsible decision from UEFA to continue with the current format. Making players and fans travel across Europe in the current climate. Revisit this format in the future when the world is back to normal.

-------------
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:53am
UEFA won't decide until April.  

I still find it hard to believe there will be 10K at England v Scotland on Friday June 18th and 90K at the Czech game the following Tuesday.

I imagine England (or with Scotland) would be the favourites now if moved.  However some countries may be reluctant to give up games.  

We are unfortunately quite a bit behind the UK in the vaccine rollout.  I'm not sure if it will be a case of cities giving games up or UEFA moving them. 

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

It would be an irresponsible decision from UEFA to continue with the current format. Making players and fans travel across Europe in the current climate. Revisit this format in the future when the world is back to normal.

All fans descending on one country and then heading back doesn't really work either tbf. With the talk of new variants, the host nation may want to limit people entering the country. difficult to predict at this stage where the world will be come June

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 12:14pm

UEFA won't decide until April.  

I still find it hard to believe there will be 10K at England v Scotland on Friday June 18th and 90K at the Czech game the following Tuesday.

I imagine England (or with Scotland) would be the favourites now if moved.  However some countries may be reluctant to give up games.  

We are unfortunately quite a bit behind the UK in the vaccine rollout.  I'm not sure if it will be a case of cities giving games up or UEFA moving them. 

I doubt UEFA can take them away unless the host countries agree to it (there would be legal issues and compensation would have to be made) 

I think the majority of host countries won’t give up their games.

-------------

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 12:37pm

Yeah I can see it going ahead as planned and UEFA will leave it up to each country to decide on how many fans to allow into the stadiums.

The UK will obviously have Wembley full for the semifinal and final.

Sounds like a ticketing fiasco is coming down the line if every country can't guarantee full houses. 

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 12:57pm

I doubt UEFA can take them away unless the host countries agree to it (there would be legal issues and compensation would have to be made) 

I think the majority of host countries won’t give up their games.
Neither UEFA nor Member Associations can go against national governments, though - see eg CL games which have had to be moved to neutral venues recently.

But I agree, UEFA will want to keep the original format as far as possible, and will wait as long as possible (April?) before confirming final details.

It could come down to a trade-off between multiple venues with low (no?) crowds vs fewer venues but with bigger crowds.

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 1:03pm
It should be in one country only, and I think that's what will happen. 

For example games been played in Dublin, just a few weeks after the country is coming out of some restrictions and we are inviting fans to come into the country in large numbers. The public would go crazy at that.

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 1:06pm
Portugal at 12/1 is a great price. The squad they have is brilliant. I have found that Ronaldo runs out of steam in these Euros and World Cups. If they can manage him and have him play one game in the group stages so he's fresh for the knockouts. But his narcissism and desire to break goal scoring records isn't going to like that idea. 

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 1:17pm

Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

All fans descending on one country and then heading back doesn't really work either tbf. With the talk of new variants, the host nation may want to limit people entering the country. difficult to predict at this stage where the world will be come June

erm the UK has had its borders open for the majority of the pandemic. A few thousand johnny foreigners ain't going to make much of a difference on top of the several million johnny foreigners who have entered the country as is. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

For example games been played in Dublin, just a few weeks after the country is coming out of some restrictions and we are inviting fans to come into the country in large numbers. The public would go crazy at that.

As against that, if they chose eg England to host the whole thing, would HMG be happy hosting big travelling support from a dozen other countries, in and out of airports, trains etc?

It's all very well  England itself having everyone vaccinated, but thousands of visitors from other countries which are further behind in their vaccination programme, travelling the length and breadth of England?

Esp if we get another dangerous variant between now and then.

UEFA would do well to remember the old adage: "Never make a decision til you have to"

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 1:34pm

erm the UK has had its borders open for the majority of the pandemic. A few thousand johnny foreigners ain't going to make much of a difference on top of the several million johnny foreigners who have entered the country as is. 

But that's part of the problem.

It has become very evident that not restricting incoming visitors last year was one of the reasons why we have had such a sh*t pandemic to date.

So that even after the horses had already bolted, we finally started shutting stable doors this year, with a Red List of no-travel countries and quarantine etc introduced in January. Meaning they might extend the same arrangements to the "few thousand"?

Quite honestly, this government is quite capable of keeping on screwing up for another bit.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 1:42pm
Agree Coleman, but thats the shift in recent months in pressure to monitor people coming into the country. The SNP are stil piling on the pressure re hotel quarantine for everyone outside the red list so you can't really predict where they will end up with this one.

Ultimately, Uefa will do whatever makes them the most cash and they will base their decision on that in April. Playing it in Australia and New Zealand wouldn't surprise me with the sharks that run it.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

As against that, if they chose eg England to host the whole thing, would HMG be happy hosting big travelling support from a dozen other countries, in and out of airports, trains etc?

It's all very well  England itself having everyone vaccinated, but thousands of visitors from other countries which are further behind in their vaccination programme, travelling the length and breadth of England?

Esp if we get another dangerous variant between now and then.

UEFA would do well to remember the old adage: "Never make a decision til you have to"
Who is HMG?

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: wexfordman1
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 1:45pm

Portugal at 12/1 is a great price. The squad they have is brilliant. I have found that Ronaldo runs out of steam in these Euros and World Cups. If they can manage him and have him play one game in the group stages so he's fresh for the knockouts. But his narcissism and desire to break goal scoring records isn't going to like that idea. 

Yes agreed what a squad good strength in all positions but a tough group. 1/4 to just get out of the group is a decent price. Fancy Turkey to have a good run same manager as 2002 decent squad 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net