You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Plastic Paddies" and the National Anthem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:58am
My uncles and aunts on both sides live or lived in the Luton-Hemel Hemsptead-Flitwick area since the 50's.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sponsored Links

Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 11:24am
Never had any issues over the years.

Anyone giving stick to a fellow Ireland fan in regards to their accent or heritage hasn't a clue about our history. The fact we have one of the largest diaspora across the globe is of course due to our economic hardships and the will and character to try and find a better life elsewhere.

There should be pride in the fact that those generations that moved abroad instilled a great sense of national pride in their children.

Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Only2Keaneos View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Only2Keaneos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Seanachie Seanachie wrote:

Originally posted by Only2Keaneos Only2Keaneos wrote:

This is a great thread, nice work.

For the last Euros I only had a ticket to the Italy game so was joining the party late (and at a meaningless stage). Myself and a mate had a connecting flight from Luton on route to Poznan. The flight in to Luton meant we had to stay overnight before the Poznan flight the next morning. The only problem was it was the night of the Spain match.

We organised that the flight to Luton would have to arrive in good time so we could source out a good watering hole for the match later in the evening. Being in England we thought there wouldn't be too many places with an atmosphere for the game but we will be happy enough with a sports bar of some sort. Within minutes of dropping our bags we had walked into a street with Irish bunting and flags all over the streets. There were two or three Irish bars in this little enclave and we couldn't believe our luck. It was a good couple of hours before the game so we had plans to get in somewhere settle in and have a bite to eat before the game. Upon walking in to one of these bars we soon found out there was no chance of a quiet pint and a feed, the place was rammed! By the time of the game the atmosphere was great and everyone stood for the national anthem and sang with pride. Not an Irish accent to be heard! These people were passionate for THEIR country and place of birth or regional accents doesn't come into it. I thought it was fantastic to see and was glad we stumbled upon this area to make me aware of the passion that exists outside our island.

On a side note, at the Italy match we were sat beside an Italian family with the broadest cockney accents, I wonder if these guys have ever had any bother with the Italian born Italy fans.

Luton has a very big Irish community. I remember reading a piece in The Guardian by Sean Ingle (from Luton with Irish parents) about it once.

I found this out when I got home and my dad, who spent a number of years working in London told me all about the Irish in Luton. I was a bit embarrassed by my ignorance of it.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 1:43pm
Ask Tommy Robinson about the Luton Irish! Have Irish friends from Luton. Luton also had, not sure if this is still the case, the largest Celtic supporters club and from my hazy memory of it, most of them had an Irish passport.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

The fact that history was rewritten with a catholic partitionist hue saw to that. Alas it isn't just that aspect that they aren't aware of.

The amount of people who think that we won our freedom in 1916 is unreal.

No mention of tan or civil war or partition or the boundary commission.

I've come across a lot of people in the 26 counties who refer to ALL people in the north as 'huns'.

Ps - Markievicz and Casement were Catholic

That's why I carefully chose my words by saying 'struck a blow'
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 9:07pm
Great to see that the Diaspora are so passionate about their team and heritage. some of our native fans could do with a lesson in it.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
peterbelfast View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterbelfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:49pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Great to see that the Diaspora are so passionate about their team and heritage. some of our native fans could do with a lesson in it.
I hate bringing it up, but I hate that, especially since the celtic tiger, we are too good to care about Celtic in Ireland, when you live in Britain they are the team of the diaspora.

Anyway, Mick McCarthy was my first footballing hero as a kid and still love his mixture of Irish and Yorkshire frankness. Super MickClap
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 8:04am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I hate bringing it up, but I hate that, especially since the celtic tiger, we are too good to care about Celtic in Ireland, when you live in Britain they are the team of the diaspora.

Anyway, Mick McCarthy was my first footballing hero as a kid and still love his mixture of Irish and Yorkshire frankness. Super MickClap

How in god's name did the Celtic Tiger affect anyone in Ireland supporting or not supporting Celtic?
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 9:17am

But that's like saying that just because I'm Irish I should like GAA. Apart from the atmosphere on champions league nights/old firm games, I would have no interest in Celtic, similar to the way I've no interest in the Dublin team, despite being be from there. If supporting a Scottish team was based on the diaspora, why don't more people support hibs.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 9:30am
And what about all the people of Irish heritage from places like Birmingham, London, Liverpool, Manchester, etc who support teams from those areas and have no interest in Celtic? Bizarre statement Confused
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 11:23am
Not saying that at al, just the added hate towards Celtic is bizarre when you think of the diaspora, that is all. 
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Keltica Keltica wrote:

On another note regarding the most important chant of all, the prize for the best ever rendition of the National Anthem goes to the fans at the first Ireland v England rugby game at Croke Park; but I think The Boys in Green can beat that against Sweden! I'll be brushing up on it myself because it's very difficult to sing it at the very top of your lungs when you don't know all the words. Let's all make and effort to brush up on it so come the 13th June we can take the fu*king roof off the Stade de France, scare the sh1te out of the Swedes, and show the whole of Europe that we are back!!!

Why would Sweden be scared at hearing an anthem in a language none of them understand? It's just another national anthem to them.

On the general debate, I don't have an issue with our 2G/foreign-based fans. The team used to be full of such players. But despite Ireland becoming a multinational, multicultural nation in recent years, socially the people are very cliquely, and don't welcome outsiders easily. You'll rarely see any foreigners in people's social circle, as they don't understand "craic" and so are not welcome on nights out. Footballwise, we went to the Euros in 2012, as our best prepared side to date but, unlike Mick or Jack at other tournaments, Trap didn't understand our need for "craic". The lack of it was later cited as an explanation for the players performance on the pitch.

In sport, you see it harnessed in GAA, where the whole point of it is to promote Irish culture, where the first language is Irish, and even if they wanted to get involved at some level, there is really no room or time for anyone who is not Irish.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 12:00pm

Not saying that at al, just the added hate towards Celtic is bizarre when you think of the diaspora, that is all. 

That makes more sense
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by Keltica Keltica wrote:

On another note regarding the most important chant of all, the prize for the best ever rendition of the National Anthem goes to the fans at the first Ireland v England rugby game at Croke Park; but I think The Boys in Green can beat that against Sweden! I'll be brushing up on it myself because it's very difficult to sing it at the very top of your lungs when you don't know all the words. Let's all make and effort to brush up on it so come the 13th June we can take the fu*king roof off the Stade de France, scare the sh1te out of the Swedes, and show the whole of Europe that we are back!!!

Why would Sweden be scared at hearing an anthem in a language none of them understand? It's just another national anthem to them.

On the general debate, I don't have an issue with our 2G/foreign-based fans. The team used to be full of such players. But despite Ireland becoming a multinational, multicultural nation in recent years, socially the people are very cliquely, and don't welcome outsiders easily. You'll rarely see any foreigners in people's social circle, as they don't understand "craic" and so are not welcome on nights out. Footballwise, we went to the Euros in 2012, as our best prepared side to date but, unlike Mick or Jack at other tournaments, Trap didn't understand our need for "craic". The lack of it was later cited as an explanation for the players performance on the pitch.

In sport, you see it harnessed in GAA, where the whole point of it is to promote Irish culture, where the first language is Irish, and even if they wanted to get involved at some level, there is really no room or time for anyone who is not Irish.

That is absolute horsesh*t of the highest order. Everyone and anyone is welcome to get involved in the GAA. The Mayo Under 21 team who won the All Ireland recently have a lad playing for them who's parents are from Pakistan and who was actually born over there himself. He is as much a Mayo man and an Irishman as I am. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the GAA wanting to promote Irish culture, why the hell shouldn't they, but to say there is no room or time for anyone who is not Irish is just a bare faced lie and if you have any integrity is something you should retract.

In regards to your first paragraph, it is hardly suprising that in a lot of cases people are friends with people who are similar to them and have similar interests. That is the case the world over, not just Ireland.

Edited by the_walls - 04 Jun 2016 at 12:18pm
OscarDelta View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OscarDelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 12:08pm

Really ?

Funnily enough in GAA in London I see people playing who by colour alone would bar them from playing GAA and no Irish Roots yet still play it.

I figure in circa 10 years or less we will have a couple of Intercounty players of Polish or other origin and will openly welcome it but the knuckle draggers will always be there claiming they not Irish.

What makes a person Irish ? Is the GAA to decide ?

HampshireDub View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HampshireDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by OscarDelta OscarDelta wrote:

Really ?

Funnily enough in GAA in London I see people playing who by colour alone would bar them from playing GAA and no Irish Roots yet still play it.

I figure in circa 10 years or less we will have a couple of Intercounty players of Polish or other origin and will openly welcome it but the knuckle draggers will always be there claiming they not Irish.

You're not Irish unless you dance at the crossroads with pasty white ladies / eat spuds morning noon and night and go to mass 27 times a day OD surely you know that ?

I played a bit of GAA in London and there's some cracking second generation London lads taking up the game.
More power to them.
Draw me a compass I need a MAP
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by OscarDelta OscarDelta wrote:

Really ?

There was a good programme on Setanta sometime last year I think about a school somewhere in London. One of the teachers was Irish and another lad born in London with Irish parents and they got a GAA team up and running. The players were from Afro-Carribean, Asian, Eastern European and other backgrounds, no connection to Ireland at all, but they seemed to love it. They went over to play a Feile in Ireland and did pretty well and the kids were all put up in local people's homes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic