You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Plastic Paddies" and the National Anthem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

I often wonder if this type of abuse only happens to lads with English accents.
I doubt you'd be abused if you were of irish parentage who spoke with an Italian or German accent. On the contrary I'd say you'd be slapped on the back and welcomed.

I was on the train heading out to the away game c Germany this campaign with a few of the 2G lads I travel with, mixture of Birmingham and London Irish. Old lad on the train in full Christmas tree get up starts giving some of the Brummies stick over their accents and being English. Our lads really biting their tongues trying not to rise to it, just telling him to get out of their faces. Turns out the old lad had lived in Germany for years and his 20 odd year old German born son was also on the train in full Christmas tree get up. Despite me pointing out that the lads being born in England was no different to his lad being born in Germany and following Ireland but he wasn't having any of it. Possibly the biggest half wit I've ever spoken to, utterly bizarre.

Been going away with 2G lads going back to Wales and Belgium in 97,some of the staunchest lads I know. Even our home games are away trips for them, huge respect.

Oh, and just going back to the anthem, the rendition before the Croatia game in Poznan was incredible, best thing that happened in the stadiums during that tournament seeing as the edge was taken off St Ledger's goal by that kunt with the whistle.

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 02 Jun 2016 at 9:00pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:13pm
If *anyone* tries a trick like that whistleblower f**ker in Poznan, and you're near him, f**king deck the f**ker, making sure you punch the whistle right down his c*nt throat, smashing a few teeth in the process. I'll represent you for free if you get in trouble with the law. That was absolutely unforgivable.

But seriously, that was entirely obnoxious.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:25pm
Hummmm never worries me really hey with my accent you have to laugh . 
Best just to walk away or in my case ask them when was their last away game they were at . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
mbyrne15 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbyrne15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:29pm
Great thread lads, loads of second generation lads in Leicester who class themselves as Irish without doubt. Met some great people on trips who love that people born outside of Ireland have such an affiliation to the country. only really saw one lad from Birmingham getting stick in Faro, apart from that no bother.
Keltica View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keltica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Seanachie Seanachie wrote:

Yeah there's an idiotic minority 26-county element that see anyone from north of the border as 'foreign'. Annoy's the f**k out of me though I'd say many of them are johnny-come-latelies anyway.

Yeah some of our Ulster fans will atest to that alright! I remember being at a Dublin v Down match at Croke park and there was a "26er" sitting beside me giving abuse to the lads from Down telling them to go back to Britain and that they were "queen loving British b*astards"... I don't need to explain how stupid that is.

But for the older people I thought it was especially poor form as they would have spent their youth fighting to express any bit of Irishness they could; after decades they finally have the freedom to do so, to come down to their capital city and hear that crap must have been hard to swallow.

Edited by Keltica - 02 Jun 2016 at 9:55pm
On the First day of Christmas...
HampshireDub View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HampshireDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Keltica Keltica wrote:

Originally posted by Seanachie Seanachie wrote:

Yeah there's an idiotic minority 26-county element that see anyone from north of the border as 'foreign'. Annoy's the f**k out of me though I'd say many of them are johnny-come-latelies anyway.

Yeah some of our Ulster fans will atest to that alright! I remember being at a Dublin v Down match at Croke park and there was a "26er" sitting beside me giving abuse to the lads from Down telling them to go back to Britain and that they were "queen loving British b*astards"... I don't need to explain how stupid that is.

But for the older people I thought it was especially poor form as they would have spent their youth fighting to express any bit of Irishness they could; after decades they finally have the freedom to do so, to come down to their capital city and hear that crap must have been hard to swallow.

Sad but true Keltica.
I'm a big GAA man I won't lie. As a youngster I stood on hill 16 watching the dubs year I year out. I fact I didn't miss a single championship game between 1987 and 1999 when I vanished abroad to study. I have noticed and witnessed abuse of 'what's it like to have a queen' chants from the Hill which goes completely against the grain in my opinion.
You can put that down to 'banter' if you want but I hated it.
My nanny was from andystown and was effectively forced out of a part of her own country through bigotry and discrimination ! I'll be f****d if I'm ever going to join in and support that activity even if some clown thinks it's 'banter'
Northmen southmen comrades all
Draw me a compass I need a MAP
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

I often wonder if this type of abuse only happens to lads with English accents.
I doubt you'd be abused if you were of irish parentage who spoke with an Italian or German accent. On the contrary I'd say you'd be slapped on the back and welcomed.

I was on the train heading out to the away game c Germany this campaign with a few of the 2G lads I travel with, mixture of Birmingham and London Irish. Old lad on the train in full Christmas tree get up starts giving some of the Brummies stick over their accents and being English. Our lads really biting their tongues trying not to rise to it, just telling him to get out of their faces. Turns out the old lad had lived in Germany for years and his 20 odd year old German born son was also on the train in full Christmas tree get up. Despite me pointing out that the lads being born in England was no different to his lad being born in Germany and following Ireland but he wasn't having any of it. Possibly the biggest half wit I've ever spoken to, utterly bizarre.

Been going away with 2G lads going back to Wales and Belgium in 97,some of the staunchest lads I know. Even our home games are away trips for them, huge respect.

Oh, and just going back to the anthem, the rendition before the Croatia game in Poznan was incredible, best thing that happened in the stadiums during that tournament seeing as the edge was taken off St Ledger's goal by that kunt with the whistle.

Was great on the bus from Lodz to Warsaw last year - Brummie Bren telling stories of away trips and the young Irish born lads lapping it up. As it should be !
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 11:31pm
When we struck a blow for our freedom 100 years ago, there was a sizable number of Irish men who fought in the GPO and elsewhere that were born in London/Birmingham/Liverpool/Glasgow/Manchester...it's a criminally under reported fact....The make up of our national football squad (and it's fans!) Is an extension of this..LONG may it continue
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 11:31pm
Great thread gents, and hopefully ye 2G/3G lads & ladies will avoid the clueless ignoramuses that give ye stick about accents while yer in France supporting your team. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 9:45am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

When we struck a blow for our freedom 100 years ago, there was a sizable number of Irish men who fought in the GPO and elsewhere that were born in London/Birmingham/Liverpool/Glasgow/Manchester...it's a criminally under reported fact....
And also the sizeable number of Protestants who struck a blow for our freedom that is also a criminally under reported fact !!!

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Seanachie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanachie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

When we struck a blow for our freedom 100 years ago, there was a sizable number of Irish men who fought in the GPO and elsewhere that were born in London/Birmingham/Liverpool/Glasgow/Manchester...it's a criminally under reported fact....
And also the sizeable number of Protestants who struck a blow for our freedom that is also a criminally under reported fact !!!

I wouldn't say it's under-reported. The roles Bulmer Hobson, Sam Maguire, Countess Markievicz, Robert Barton, Erskine Childers, Roger Casement and others played in the struggle for independence are well known to anyone who knows their history. It's true though that among the general public the Protestant aspect to Republicanism isn't always acknowledged (likewise with 1798).
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:20am
The fact that history was rewritten with a catholic partitionist hue saw to that. Alas it isn't just that aspect that they aren't aware of.

The amount of people who think that we won our freedom in 1916 is unreal.

No mention of tan or civil war or partition or the boundary commission.

I've come across a lot of people in the 26 counties who refer to ALL people in the north as 'huns'.

Ps - Markievicz and Casement were Catholic

Edited by eire77 - 03 Jun 2016 at 10:29am
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:28am
Originally posted by OscarDelta OscarDelta wrote:

Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

"Why don't you support your own team?" 

Have had that said to me in the past.

Ask what Premier League team do they support LOL then tell em to F*** Off.

Know my lad was asked when we back in Uk after we went out of Euro2012, "Does this mean you will support England now because Ireland are out"................................... hard to stop grinning when he replied "No, Why would I support England, I'm Irish".

A bit like the muppet outside Croker protesting when England played us in the rugby.

Had a sign "NO FOREIGN SPORTS" or something like that, and him wearing a Glasgow Celtic shirt

Any half brain supporter will know the London Supporters Club is the biggest and probably the best supporters club we have.

I know nothing :-)
Only2Keaneos View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Only2Keaneos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:40am
This is a great thread, nice work.

For the last Euros I only had a ticket to the Italy game so was joining the party late (and at a meaningless stage). Myself and a mate had a connecting flight from Luton on route to Poznan. The flight in to Luton meant we had to stay overnight before the Poznan flight the next morning. The only problem was it was the night of the Spain match.

We organised that the flight to Luton would have to arrive in good time so we could source out a good watering hole for the match later in the evening. Being in England we thought there wouldn't be too many places with an atmosphere for the game but we will be happy enough with a sports bar of some sort. Within minutes of dropping our bags we had walked into a street with Irish bunting and flags all over the streets. There were two or three Irish bars in this little enclave and we couldn't believe our luck. It was a good couple of hours before the game so we had plans to get in somewhere settle in and have a bite to eat before the game. Upon walking in to one of these bars we soon found out there was no chance of a quiet pint and a feed, the place was rammed! By the time of the game the atmosphere was great and everyone stood for the national anthem and sang with pride. Not an Irish accent to be heard! These people were passionate for THEIR country and place of birth or regional accents doesn't come into it. I thought it was fantastic to see and was glad we stumbled upon this area to make me aware of the passion that exists outside our island.

On a side note, at the Italy match we were sat beside an Italian family with the broadest cockney accents, I wonder if these guys have ever had any bother with the Italian born Italy fans.
Seanachie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanachie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:42am
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

The fact that history was rewritten with a catholic partitionist hue saw to that. Alas it isn't just that aspect that they aren't aware of.

The amount of people who think that we won our freedom in 1916 is unreal.

No mention of tan or civil war or partition or the boundary commission.

I've come across a lot of people in the 26 counties who refer to ALL people in the north as 'huns'.

They were but both from Church of Ireland families. Markievicz converted and Casement's Anglican mother had him secretly baptised Catholic as a child. Cathal Brugha was also from a mixed CofI/Catholic family though educated by the Jesuits.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:43am
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

Bloody converts.

Yeah, the Huns. I didnt know the Germans invaded the North !!!

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:47am
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

A bit like the muppet outside Croker protesting when England played us in the rugby.
Had a sign "NO FOREIGN SPORTS" or something like that, and him wearing a Glasgow Celtic shirt

Seanachie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanachie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Only2Keaneos Only2Keaneos wrote:

This is a great thread, nice work.

For the last Euros I only had a ticket to the Italy game so was joining the party late (and at a meaningless stage). Myself and a mate had a connecting flight from Luton on route to Poznan. The flight in to Luton meant we had to stay overnight before the Poznan flight the next morning. The only problem was it was the night of the Spain match.

We organised that the flight to Luton would have to arrive in good time so we could source out a good watering hole for the match later in the evening. Being in England we thought there wouldn't be too many places with an atmosphere for the game but we will be happy enough with a sports bar of some sort. Within minutes of dropping our bags we had walked into a street with Irish bunting and flags all over the streets. There were two or three Irish bars in this little enclave and we couldn't believe our luck. It was a good couple of hours before the game so we had plans to get in somewhere settle in and have a bite to eat before the game. Upon walking in to one of these bars we soon found out there was no chance of a quiet pint and a feed, the place was rammed! By the time of the game the atmosphere was great and everyone stood for the national anthem and sang with pride. Not an Irish accent to be heard! These people were passionate for THEIR country and place of birth or regional accents doesn't come into it. I thought it was fantastic to see and was glad we stumbled upon this area to make me aware of the passion that exists outside our island.

On a side note, at the Italy match we were sat beside an Italian family with the broadest cockney accents, I wonder if these guys have ever had any bother with the Italian born Italy fans.

Luton has a very big Irish community. I remember reading a piece in The Guardian by Sean Ingle (from Luton with Irish parents) about it once.

Edited by Seanachie - 03 Jun 2016 at 11:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic