You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Plastic Paddies" and the National Anthem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 11:39am
i actually get a sense of pride when I meet someone who wasn't necessarily born in Ireland or has an irish accent, but is there attending the games and wearing the green. see it as a complement. I sat beside a guy from the midlands at the Italian game, his parents are irish and supports Ireland for everything, but has his English accent and is a west brom fan. I enjoyed being able to share the lasting memory of brady scoring with this lad as I got to see his passion for Ireland.
considering the world is a more multi-national place and a mix and match of cultures living in Ireland, there will be more and more fans that don't conform to the so-called conventional pasty white irishness. anyone that still wants to be narrow-minded, ye can f**k on off

Sponsored Links

eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 11:23am
Was in McDonald's near the Harp Bar in Paris where some Cork gombeen started having a go at two lads from Antrim wondering why they weren't watching their team play Poland instead of 'hanging around with us'. Absolute moron of the highest order. The lads from Antrim took it well and questioned his partitionist leanings (he appeared obilivious) so didn't get involved but to be fair I think that anyone who follows the team regularly would never make a statement like that to a lad from the north or a 2/3G.

However a lot of the younger generation have no understanding of our history and are ignorant in the extreme. They ape the Brits in their actions and think that ireland is 100% limited to those born in the 26 counties. Can't stand that attitude. Had great craic with lads born in London, Birmingham, Antrim, Derry, Mayo, Limerick, Offaly, Dublin, Cork, Galway, Leitrim and Cavan throughout the trip. Irishmen one and all.

Edited by eire77 - 28 Jun 2016 at 11:25am
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 11:09am
i traveled with a quality group of die hard laandan irish lads and who got loads of the typical sh*te... who are ye lads supporting? are ye off watching england after this? plastics, pretenders, bla bla bla. if you boys think this is a minor issue you are deluded.

to be fair, i think some of our fan base are just a bit village simple and cant get their head around it. for many it would have been their first trip also... 

Edited by randyrandolph - 28 Jun 2016 at 11:09am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 11:01am
Care to elaborate?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
SeanG4393 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanG4393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 11:00am
An amazing trip out all in all and some fantastic memories I will take beyond my grave. 

Only 1 incident along the way which i'm trying not to be a memory of the trip but the feeling of disappointment and embarrassment doesn't seem to be leaving me. I just cant get my head around the thinking of some people when it comes to accents. 
farneybhoy View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farneybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 11:05am
Originally posted by SeanG4393 SeanG4393 wrote:

This is so refreshing to read. 

I am the first 'English born' in my family. My dad born in Dublin and my Mom born in Donegal met in Birmingham after both sets of families had moved over to Birmingham during the 50's and 60's as just children. I had the typical Irish upbringing where you spent the 6 weeks holiday in Ireland and it was more like home than anything, Birmingham just being where you went to school and had a house. 

Mainly in secondary school I was referred to as a 'Palstic' and this continues up to this day. Bumping into a few old school friends in the local last week I was asked why are you going to the euros with Ireland it should be England, when not one of them have set foot inside Wembley.. 

I've only ever known Ireland as a nation and they are the only nation I have supported my memories of International football are a shade of Green with the 2002 penalty tears (the first tournament I fully understood at the age of 8) 

Yes I have a Birmingham accent, this is something i'm very proud of football is a huge passion of mine and Birmingham city are my team I enjoy having this accent and follow my club across England. Whilst in Poland in October I simply tried to advise a man in a bar where he could watch the Ireland vs France Rugby match when he whispered into his friends ear not very quietly I asked for Ireland vs France not England, In fairness his friend nearly died of embarrassment and apologized for his mate. Of course there have been people along the way that have embraced it and looked far past the accent that have became good friends that i'm travelling to France with. 

I could type a novel about this matter to try and educate people but sometimes the shortest replies are the best and a simple F**k Off to the great uneducated can do the trick. 

I'm a regular home and away traveler and France will be my first major tournament with Ireland (A £2.52 an hour apprenticeship at the time didn't quiet take me to Poland) It's a dream come true for me to be travelling and attending games at the Euros it something I've looked forward to for years and something I will carry with me my whole life. 

Ireland might not be where I live but it is where I am from. 

That's a belter of a post. Clap
SeanG4393 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanG4393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 9:17am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Don't mind him walls he's just a glory hunter

Great to hear the links that our emigrants keep with the country.

LOL I'm only seeing glory lately, I do remember the days they couldn't win a Leinster title let alone an All Ireland. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

My first Ireland away was Vienna in 95 (hence the username for any that remember that horrid night) and the day before we travelled to the U21 game with a few others from the hotel to a place a few hours drive away called Amstetten, the town where Fritzl lived actually. 

Always remember my old man talking to the lad in his 30s or 40s beside us who had a broad cockney accent and wearing a green polo shirt who had traveled on his tod to the game, sticks with me to this day.

Serious respect where it's due Clap

And he was Josef Fritzl?Shocked
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 11:40pm
My first Ireland away was Vienna in 95 (hence the username for any that remember that horrid night) and the day before we travelled to the U21 game with a few others from the hotel to a place a few hours drive away called Amstetten, the town where Fritzl lived actually. 

Always remember my old man talking to the lad in his 30s or 40s beside us who had a broad cockney accent and wearing a green polo shirt who had traveled on his tod to the game, sticks with me to this day.

Serious respect where it's due Clap

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 9:14pm
Don't mind him walls he's just a glory hunter

Great to hear the links that our emigrants keep with the country.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
SeanG4393 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanG4393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 5:04pm
I had about 30 too many sherbets at MK Dons away with Birmingham constantly saying "I'll be up, it'll be grand. Don't worry" at every advance of my friends reminding me I had a 7am flight to catch. 

I wasn't up... 
It wasn't grand... 
I didn't worry... I f***ing S**t myself at 09:10 when I woke up still stumbling around wondering where it all went so wrong. 
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 2:30pm
The replay cost me quite a bit to get back in time from the Gibraltar game. Didn't end well for me though :(

Edited by the_walls - 07 Jun 2016 at 2:31pm
SeanG4393 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanG4393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I started playing Gaelic in year 5 at school (age 7) in Birmingham when the head teacher 2G Irish introduced it into the P.E curriculum and trainers came in from John Mitchell's GAA Birmingham the aim was to potentially take a school team to a schools competition in Birmingham at Pairc Na hEireann they did this and it is one of my best memories of primary school. I then got asked to play for John Mitchell's and did so until I was 17 going from Under 8 to Under 18. There were plenty of GAA teams across the Midland in fact on team James Connolly's only had 3 white players one year the rest of the players from Afro-Caribbean heritage they were incredible and won the league. I follow Dublin and fly over to games unfortunately I've never been interviewed but its a good bot of fun letting a roar out on the hill with a brummie accent. My friends in Dublin were shocked last year on All Ireland final day as to how many people I bumped into in different pubs around Dublin and Croker that I knew from Birmingham. None of us interviewed sadly :(   

Family from Dublin I presume?

Yeah my dad and the of course his side of the family, love the sport can't get enough of it, The semi cost a few bob last year after missing my flight and then of course ended in a reply...a bad day for em and my head haha! Mom's Donegal but apparently i'm my fathers son so Dubs was the choice/force
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 11:50am

I started playing Gaelic in year 5 at school (age 7) in Birmingham when the head teacher 2G Irish introduced it into the P.E curriculum and trainers came in from John Mitchell's GAA Birmingham the aim was to potentially take a school team to a schools competition in Birmingham at Pairc Na hEireann they did this and it is one of my best memories of primary school. I then got asked to play for John Mitchell's and did so until I was 17 going from Under 8 to Under 18. There were plenty of GAA teams across the Midland in fact on team James Connolly's only had 3 white players one year the rest of the players from Afro-Caribbean heritage they were incredible and won the league. I follow Dublin and fly over to games unfortunately I've never been interviewed but its a good bot of fun letting a roar out on the hill with a brummie accent. My friends in Dublin were shocked last year on All Ireland final day as to how many people I bumped into in different pubs around Dublin and Croker that I knew from Birmingham. None of us interviewed sadly :(   

Family from Dublin I presume?
Undercover View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Undercover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 10:26am
I met a South African fella at the Spain game in Suwon in 2002. He was supporting the Boys in Green because his father had taken asylum in Ireland during the apartheid era. That filled me with a strange mixture of pride in my country for having helped his father out & appreciation that this fact hadn't been forgotten by his family. 

Funnily enough, with regard to the GAA, I spent close to an hour pucking a sliotar around in a park in Dublin on Sunday with a lovely young fella from the Democratic Republic of Congo. Identity is a fluid concept, there should always be space for development I reckon.
Nobody really knows why we're here. We just are.
SeanG4393 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanG4393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 9:40am

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 12:50am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Everyone and anyone is welcome to get involved in the GAA. The Mayo Under 21 team who won the All Ireland recently have a lad playing for them who's parents are from Pakistan and who was actually born over there himself. He is as much a Mayo man and an Irishman as I am. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the GAA wanting to promote Irish culture, why the hell shouldn't they, but to say there is no room or time for anyone who is not Irish is just a bare faced lie and if you have any integrity is something you should retract.

I won't retract it until the day I see a selector, a manager sorry, "Bainisteoir", a senior player, a panellist, a pundit, or a fan (interviewed) at a game that isn't a 100% white Irish person. I have yet to see that.

Think this lad has been interviewed once or twice. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by OscarDelta OscarDelta wrote:

In WC02 on the train to Niigata I chatted with 3 Derry guys who had been in 88/90 and 94, really summed it up that "Its not jut about winning, we want team to get out there and gives us a few opportunities to roar and scream our heads off, make like they care as much about it as we who have spent thousands getting here". He was reporting back to Foyle radio on what WC02.

Must admit never saw them as anything but IRISH, in Basle year or so later met up with couple of Belfast guys who I had also met in Japan.

Never realised I had to call them Nordies and ask what they were doing there.....................Then again I guess I just saw Fellow Irishmen, doing what I was doing in supporting our National Team...... SIMPLES.

Of course you did. The fact that there is even a debate for some people is outrageous 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic