You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bohemian F.C. Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 286>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Hooped01 Hooped01 wrote:

[QUOTE=OohAah...]agree with all that. New players did the business and looked impressive. Can see the rustiness but alot to be optimistic about

Even though the derby is a Monday it's sold out. Class!!!! 
[/QUOTE

Yes great to see the derby sold out and the great attendences around the country for the first round of games. But the derby much like the first week of games will get zero media coverage from our bogball and egg chasing loving media unless of course there are some clowns causing trouble which as usual will get front page coverage.

What are attendances like? There's a reason the bogball gets more media coverage. 7k at the munster schools final this weekend and 12k at Kilkenny v limerick and it's only a league game. If there's interest the media will cover it. 
Sponsored Links

oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 7:43am
Try comparing club rugby and club gaa attendances and you’ll see football is by far better attended than either. Inter county and the rugby franchises are obviously going to attract bigger crowds. Fans of these tend to cherry pick which games they go to as well, probably 5-6 a season.there is a hardcore who’d go to every game but not many I’ve met, whereas your loi hardcore would attend every week if possible and certainly all homes,25+ games at least
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Try comparing club rugby and club gaa attendances and you’ll see football is by far better attended than either. Inter county and the rugby franchises are obviously going to attract bigger crowds. Fans of these tend to cherry pick which games they go to as well, probably 5-6 a season.there is a hardcore who’d go to every game but not many I’ve met, whereas your loi hardcore would attend every week if possible and certainly all homes,25+ games at least
Comparing club games won't work. How many LOI clubs vs the many regular clubs? The GAA is the highest attended spectator sport in the country. Rugby I understand gets way too much love but let's be honest it's irish football fans interest in the Premier league and other foreign leagues that does the real damage to the domestic game not the support they give to other Irish sports. 
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 1:05pm
But you cannot compare inter county with loi clubs attendance. Counties have a huge catchment of several large towns and maybe a city. Plus they’re only attending a small amount of games. Personally I think it’s just not in the Irish to follow a club properly, week in week out isint in their makeup yet they claim alliegence to uk sides without seeing any live games at all, it’s weird.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Comparing club games won't work. How many LOI clubs vs the many regular clubs? The GAA is the highest attended spectator sport in the country. Rugby I understand gets way too much love but let's be honest it's irish football fans interest in the Premier league and other foreign leagues that does the real damage to the domestic game not the support they give to other Irish sports. 
True, but the media plays a role. My biggest bugbear regarding the Irish media, for example, was the fact that the RTÉ news always gave the 'cross-channel'(another bugbear) fixtures before the Irish fixtures. RTÉ, as the national broadcaster has a responsibility to the Irish game that it doesn't have to the English or Scottish. 
If you look at Scotland, something Irish football fans always do, for a whole host of reasons that are irrelevant here, a country of a similar size with a similar media, the domestic game, and not just their top clubs, get much greater coverage. I understand that the football is their national sport and that they don't have a GAA to compete with, but their semi-professional teams get more coverage than their Irish counterparts. If you have an interest in football and live in Scotland, you are aware of all the league clubs there and their results and fixtures. In contrast, the LOI is often just afforded a small paragraph in the corner of a paper, similar to what the lower leagues in England and Scotland receive in Ireland. 
I know there has been improvements in recent years, but there still isn't the parity between the LOI and the foreign leagues. You can still give people their English football news and the local. 

As for rugby... It isn't just 'too much love', you can argue that they are getting an appropriate amount 'of love' now, but it is how the media influence helped the game's popularity in Ireland. When I was growing up there seemed to be an AIL game on television every Saturday, despite the crowds being one man and a dog. Sure, the IRFU managed professionalism well, helped by the availability of easy to market geographical locations for their franchises, but that certainly impacted how people saw the game. Growing up in area with a strong local club, along with the media coverage, gave me the impression that rugby was more important and popular than it actually was at the time. 

I just  don't think it is ridiculous to suggest  that the highest level of the most played and popular sport in Ireland gets more coverage.

Edited by pre Madonna - 18 Feb 2019 at 1:26pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 1:24pm
I was listening to the sports news on iradio last friday and the first soccer story they had on was the fa cup game between watford and qpr. This was the opening night of the league and it wasnt the top story. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

True, but the media plays a role. My biggest bugbear regarding the Irish media, for example, was the fact that the RTÉ news always gave the 'cross-channel'(another bugbear) fixtures before the Irish fixtures. RTÉ, as the national broadcaster has a responsibility to the Irish game that it doesn't have to the English or Scottish. 
If you look at Scotland, something Irish football fans always do, for a whole host of reasons that are irrelevant here, a country of a similar size with a similar media, the domestic game, and not just their top clubs, get much greater coverage. I understand that the football is their national sport and that they don't have a GAA to compete with, but their semi-professional teams get more coverage than their Irish counterparts. If you have an interest in football and live in Scotland, you are aware of all the league clubs there and their results and fixtures. In contrast, the LOI is often just afforded a small paragraph in the corner of a paper, similar to what the lower leagues in England and Scotland receive in Ireland. 
I know there has been improvements in recent years, but there still isn't the parity between the LOI and the foreign leagues. You can still give people their English football news and the local. 

As for rugby... It isn't just 'too much love', you can argue that they are getting an appropriate amount 'of love' now, but it is how the media influence helped the game's popularity in Ireland. When I was growing up there seemed to be an AIL game on television every Saturday, despite the crowds being one man and a dog. Sure, the IRFU managed professionalism well, helped by the availability of easy to market geographical locations for their franchises, but that certainly impacted how people saw the game. Growing up in area with a strong local club, along with the media coverage, gave me the impression that rugby was more important and popular than it actually was at the time. 

I just  don't think it is ridiculous to suggest  that the highest level of the most played and popular sport in Ireland gets more coverage.

Some valid points - my 2 bugbears are firstly is that for years whenever RTE show a LOI game live there is at least 2 ticktack banners per half advertising forthcoming sports programmes on RTE, mainly The Sunday Game or whatever live GAA games and Against the Head. Never once have I seen a banner promoting coverage of the LOI during coverage of other sports on RTE. Imagine the cheek of promoting a LOI game during an U20's 6 nations match.
My second and serious bugbear is why TG4 do not have any coverage of football. They show huge amounts of GAA games both club and county and many rugby games but never once would they broadcast a LOI game. They obviously have the equipment and expertise to show football but don't have the will.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Some valid points - my 2 bugbears are firstly is that for years whenever RTE show a LOI game live there is at least 2 ticktack banners per half advertising forthcoming sports programmes on RTE, mainly The Sunday Game or whatever live GAA games and Against the Head. Never once have I seen a banner promoting coverage of the LOI during coverage of other sports on RTE. Imagine the cheek of promoting a LOI game during an U20's 6 nations match.
My second and serious bugbear is why TG4 do not have any coverage of football. They show huge amounts of GAA games both club and county and many rugby games but never once would they broadcast a LOI game. They obviously have the equipment and expertise to show football but don't have the will.

TG4 definitely broadcasted LOI games in the past.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 4:16pm
Did they. I dont remember that
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 4:26pm
I know they made a few docs about Celtics connections to the NW and about Galway playing a EUFA match against Groningen in the gaelteacht. If they did show league games it was fado fado and most likely Galway homes games....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 4:31pm

I know they made a few docs about Celtics connections to the NW and about Galway playing a EUFA match against Groningen in the gaelteacht. If they did show league games it was fado fado and most likely Galway homes games....

Yeah the games they showed were either predominatly if not totally Galway home games, but ruagairi na seamroige definitely featured.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

Yeah the games they showed were either predominatly if not totally Galway home games, but ruagairi na seamroige definitely featured.
Yeah, they used to show a few on a Saturday evening alright.
Polug View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 7:20pm

[QUOTE=OohAah...]agree with all that. New players did the business and looked impressive. Can see the rustiness but alot to be optimistic about

[/QUOTE

Yes great to see the derby sold out and the great attendences around the country for the first round of games. But the derby much like the first week of games will get zero media coverage from our bogball and egg chasing loving media unless of course there are some clowns causing trouble which as usual will get front page coverage.

What are attendances like? There's a reason the bogball gets more media coverage. 7k at the munster schools final this weekend and 12k at Kilkenny v limerick and it's only a league game. If there's interest the media will cover it. 

http://sportforbusiness.com/could-sse-airtricity-league-crowds-hit-500000/

Attendances are half that of the GAA Football and Championships combined. In terms of column inches, and airtime it gets at most 5% of the coverage.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 11:59pm
@cabra I've seen rte promote LOI programmes loads over the years juring the GAA slots. Sometimes even the presenter mentioning it. Don't watch much rugby but don't recall them plugging it there. Sir Ryle probably doesn't want the Rugby associated with it.

@pre Madonna 
Good points. It's a joke the national broadcaster shamelessly give preferential treatment like that. It should be all Irish sports first and then international sporting news last. Private funded media outlets like virgin media, newspapers and radios etc can do what they like. 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Polug Polug wrote:

[/QUOTE

http://sportforbusiness.com/could-sse-airtricity-league-crowds-hit-500000/

Attendances are half that of the GAA Football and Championships combined. In terms of column inches, and airtime it gets at most 5% of the coverage.

It's half of the all Ireland matches played in croke park. It doesn't include all the other matches outside of Croker that are part of the championships so obviously LOI are far behind the GAA despite it having fewer matches across just a few months. They deserve the coverage they get. The problem is then obsessing over premiership at the expense of the LOI. They'll probably argue that most people want premiership covered over the domestic game. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:51am
Regarding your last sentence, unfortunately that would be the case. Ironically, they don't see the correlation between the state of our national team, and their hypocritical stance on our national league.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 2:14pm
Ali Reghba signing for Shelbourne today???they don’t win that div1 and they’re f**ked spunking money away like Ollie’s back!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 3:24pm

Ali Reghba signing for Shelbourne today???they don’t win that div1 and they’re f**ked spunking money away like Ollie’s back!
That was a rumour on Twitter of their “big announcement” they were just releasing a new away jersey LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 286>
  Share Topic