You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bohemian F.C. Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 287>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Did ourselves proud.
Cork offer nothing other than physicality & effort. At home and you don’t want the ball Dead

I'm all for seeing sides trying to get the ball down and keeping it on the deck in a nice manner "but" Cork like Burnley and Stoke of yesteryear under Pulis have a certain brand that's effective for them and it's working domestically so the over the top criticism of them is amusing to an extent.

There is definitely too much emphasis on how teams play in modern day football, results are what matter at the end of it all.

Anyone needs an example of this, watch Celtic away at Salzburg the other night.
I don't get the analogy? Celtic played an  awful type of hoofball and got battered! 
I watched the full game thanks GD Celtic were brutal, like a lot of their early season performances, and like PM I don’t get the relevance. 

No naivity in Bohs performance, they can only play one way. I think you’re possibly being naive if you think Bohs can go toe to toe physically with a squad of 6ft plus players

In regards to style of football, I’m sorry I like to enjoy watching football. There was & is little to enjoy in watching Cork play. Now full marks to them for an excellent press, being well drilled and confident in their game plan, I respect that. Doesn’t mean I enjoy it. 
Bohs try to play passing football, their 17s do, their 19s do. As I said earlier, does it always work? No. Is it the right way young sides should try to play? Yes and that’s why there’s such a connect between the fans & players & club. Do you think Bohs would be selling out games 10 days before matches or bringing 700 to cork on a Monday playing like Cork do? Unlikely. 

Horses for courses, sometimes you need to adapt to how the opposition play and try counter act them even it's not ideal, in order to achieve the desired result.

Nor did I say Bohs had to go toe to toe physically with Cork either, all I said was maybe Long/Croly could have changed their game plan slightly seeing as they knew what to expect.

I think He did. tbf to him. Players just were more nervous or doubtful and werent playng the same quick pass  way they have done. There were less sprints down the wings aswell like He was trying to play narrower.

Anyway He stuck to his guns and as the game grew Cork were defending their space very well, but We didnt just go route 1.

Its Ironic that I find cork so boring to watch, and on saturday Ill be cheering on a team that plays the same way
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 1:30pm

Did ourselves proud.
Cork offer nothing other than physicality & effort. At home and you don’t want the ball Dead

I'm all for seeing sides trying to get the ball down and keeping it on the deck in a nice manner "but" Cork like Burnley and Stoke of yesteryear under Pulis have a certain brand that's effective for them and it's working domestically so the over the top criticism of them is amusing to an extent.

There is definitely too much emphasis on how teams play in modern day football, results are what matter at the end of it all.

I don't get the analogy? Celtic played an  awful type of hoofball and got battered! 

A point I made in the Celtic thread where they were trying to constantly play out from the back, it wasn't working yet never changed it. 

It was beyond naive of Rodgers. 
The only time in the game that Celtic tried to play out from the back was from goal kicks, everything else was hurriedly hoofed aimlessly down the field.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 1:34pm
Will Bohs budget increase a tad after such a good season or will it be more of the same next season?

I would be looking at Limericks plight and seeing what sort of bargains could be had if I were Long.

Barry Maguire seems to have done rather well! 

A possible return for Eoin Wearen? Danny Morrissey if you could keep him fit would be an excellent signing. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 1:41pm
Unless a big sponsor comes aboard, it will be pretty similar. Will have to see who we can hang over this winter. Players have a right to getting paid what they could elsewhere, but the club also has to remain financially viable or they put their own existence in danger. Obviously the u 19's and below show theres a stream of players, but We cant depend on youth the whole time.

Theres a balance in there somewhere. And it takes good management across the club to manage that
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 1:45pm
Still knocked out ?
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 1:49pm

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Still knocked out ?
Sure we won 3 cup finals this season already 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Unless a big sponsor comes aboard, it will be pretty similar. Will have to see who we can hang over this winter. Players have a right to getting paid what they could elsewhere, but the club also has to remain financially viable or they put their own existence in danger. Obviously the u 19's and below show theres a stream of players, but We cant depend on youth the whole time.

Theres a balance in there somewhere. And it takes good management across the club to manage that

If Bohs can even churn out 1 or 2 first team players per season from the underage set up it would be brilliant for the club long term. Nice safety net being involved with St Kevins too! 

If the attendances keep improving and season ticket sales increase for next season which I'd expect them to, given that there is a real buzz around Bohs at the moment it might mean an extra signing or two for Long! 

It is a very touch climate for part time clubs to try and compete with the big boys, but you're onto a winner with Bohs lately, great to see Clap
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 1:56pm

If Bohs can even churn out 1 or 2 first team players per season from the underage set up it would be brilliant for the club long term. Nice safety net being involved with St Kevins too! 

If the attendances keep improving and season ticket sales increase for next season which I'd expect them to, given that there is a real buzz around Bohs at the moment it might mean an extra signing or two for Long! 

It is a very touch climate for part time clubs to try and compete with the big boys, but you're onto a winner with Bohs lately, great to see Clap

GD, as soon as those young players get enough experience under their belts, we'll have them as per usual. Most of them will turn to sh*t tho.....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 2:00pm

Did ourselves proud.

I watched the full game thanks GD Celtic were brutal, like a lot of their early season performances, and like PM I don’t get the relevance. 

No naivity in Bohs performance, they can only play one way. I think you’re possibly being naive if you think Bohs can go toe to toe physically with a squad of 6ft plus players

In regards to style of football, I’m sorry I like to enjoy watching football. There was & is little to enjoy in watching Cork play. Now full marks to them for an excellent press, being well drilled and confident in their game plan, I respect that. Doesn’t mean I enjoy it. 
Bohs try to play passing football, their 17s do, their 19s do. As I said earlier, does it always work? No. Is it the right way young sides should try to play? Yes and that’s why there’s such a connect between the fans & players & club. Do you think Bohs would be selling out games 10 days before matches or bringing 700 to cork on a Monday playing like Cork do? Unlikely. 

Horses for courses, sometimes you need to adapt to how the opposition play and try counter act them even it's not ideal, in order to achieve the desired result.

Nor did I say Bohs had to go toe to toe physically with Cork either, all I said was maybe Long/Croly could have changed their game plan slightly seeing as they knew what to expect.

Maybe Long/Croly might look at bringing in a proper target man next season to add a different dimension?

Will Bohs budget increase a tad after such a good season or will it be more of the same next season?

I would be looking at Limericks plight and seeing what sort of bargains could be had if I were Long.

Barry Maguire seems to have done rather well! 

A possible return for Eoin Wearen? Danny Morrissey if you could keep him fit would be an excellent signing. 

We don't have the depth in the squad or the budget to deal with something like the loss of Kelly and Casey simultaneously, it was very unfortunate to be missing both. Casey's booking in the first game for questioning the penalty was ridiculously harsh as well, he was by no means OTT in his protest under the circumstances.   We didn't get the rub of the green in the semi as a whole from the draw to the penalty in the first game to the two suspensions to Shepherd getting rewarded for his dive for the first goal last night. With our set up we would have needed a couple of the 50/50's to go our way given we were playing last seasons double winners and they didn't. I'm not pushing any conspiracy theories here, just saying we needed a break and didn't get one. It happens.

I don't see us bringing in a target man and would hope that Ali Reghba keeps developing and can play that way if needs be. It's not the only string to his bow but I think he has that potential in him. I think Long bringing him on ahead of Stokes last night showed that he was trying to tweak it a little. The thing with Bohs playing a target man though is it means that Corcoran effectiveness would be lessened. He's not the sort of player that has the pace to run onto knock-ons and instead has thrived in the space that Kelly's pace and intelligent play has opened up for him. Dinny was never quick and he's looked slower this season. Look at his goals against Derry and even in the first semi though and it's just been him ghosting into space while defenders were tied up. I thought he was finished first half of the season but Kelly has brought the best out of him.

The budget won't increase by anything significant. All going well this will be our last season at Dalymount before two years in Tolka with the attendant drop in bar income and probably crowds etc before we can move back. We have to remain prudent and won't mortgage the future of the club chasing trophies. We've learnt our lesson the hard way but to be honest, I'd sooner be where we are now than have a full-time team playing in the back arse of Harristown with zero connection to my community.

Had we made Europe than maybe things would have been different re the budget but c'est la vie. What disappoints me more than missing out on what I feel would have been a deserved Cup Final is the fact that this team that has connected so much with the fanbase may well be broken up as many of the young lads will be offered full-time football elsewhere and we can't compete with that. On the plus said, we have a superb underage set-up but asking the 19's to step up immediately is a bit much. 

I always rated Wearen and thought he was very unfortunate to pick up that awful injury when he seemed to be maturing. I know he'd love to come back so who knows.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 2:02pm

GD, as soon as those young players get enough experience under their belts, we'll have them as per usual. Most of them will turn to sh*t tho.....

Says more about your 'project' than anything else. LOL
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 2:02pm

Well currently "our project" is in the youth champions league. 
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 2:15pm
Are you not embarrassed to be just a front for St. Kevins though?

Edited by Tony Cousins - 09 Oct 2018 at 2:15pm
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 2:19pm
and you’re a front for Lucan Utd and corduff, plus you nick ours too,what’s the matter, don’t you like to see good young lads playing at national level or are wofus the only ones allowed a project?
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

and you’re a front for Lucan Utd and corduff, plus you nick ours too,what’s the matter, don’t you like to see good young lads playing at national level or are wofus the only ones allowed a project?

I don't see any Rovers teams referred to as SRFC/Lucan or SRFC/Corduff or half and half crests being used.

OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

Are you not embarrassed to be just a front for St. Kevins though?

Proud to be involved with them :) 
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

I don't see any Rovers teams referred to as SRFC/Lucan or SRFC/Corduff or half and half crests being used.

Maybe you should try it, and actually challenge for the leagues and cups
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 8:28pm
my point was, it’s sure it a good thing that schoolboy clubs are linking with loi clubs no? I’ve seen rovers bohs pats Sligo Waterford and harps at various underage levels this season and been very impressed by all. A pathway to senior football, win win situation in my book.of course if we could all produce our young players in hatcheries just like you, apparently without them ever kicking a ball for anyone else, ever, that’d be just kushti.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 9:10pm
condolences to the family of ex Bohemian Tony Hopper, passed away aged just 42, from motor neurone disease.RIP.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 287>
  Share Topic