You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bohemian F.C. Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 285>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David McWilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

What team will ye likely have for Fridays league game 

We badly need the win here in Waterford but our form atm is not great. 

Is basically us vs ye for Europa league football unless St Pats improve out of now where

Casey and Kelly are suspended for Monday so they'll start. Hamilton, Kirk and Grant are all too old for the 19s but very young but very good. Grant scored two versus Sligo away earlier in the year.

I'd say 

McCable
Buckley Casey Byrne Kirk
Brennan McCourt
Kelly Stokes Hamilton
Masterson

Similar to the team that played Pats.
Sponsored Links

OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 10:36am
Those lads aren't too old for u19's, and are still playing with them. and theyv'e a 1/4 final on sunday, the u19's in Europe will also be bolloxed. I assume though 1st team is the priority for players and club. 

So the team above is probably about right. 

That is of course Long has thrown in the towel on chasing down 4th in the league. Which is pragmatic

David McWilliams View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David McWilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 10:50am
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Those lads aren't too old for u19's, and are still playing with them. and theyv'e a 1/4 final on sunday, the u19's in Europe will also be bolloxed. I assume though 1st team is the priority for players and club. 

That is of course Long has thrown in the towel on chasing down 4th in the league. Which is pragmatic

Grant and Hamilton tweeted they were ineligible, presumably because they were too old, and Kirk wasn't named in the squad, presumably for the same reason.
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 10:52am
Originally posted by David McWilliams David McWilliams wrote:

Grant and Hamilton tweeted they were ineligible, presumably because they were too old, and Kirk wasn't named in the squad, presumably for the same reason.

As far as I know, they had to be part of the underage setup for 3 years to be eligible.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David McWilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 11:56am

As far as I know, they had to be part of the underage setup for 3 years to be eligible.

On the basis that they're over 19, yes
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 12:01pm

On the basis that they're over 19, yes

Ah right.  
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 10:32pm
f**k me, we didn’t win!!! Blaa boys deserved it , just ,  1-3 I felt was a little harsh. Onwards to Monday night.600 sold and they’ve sent another 100 most of which went tonight so big bohs night out in corcaigh, bring it on!!!
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 9:01am
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

f**k me, we didn’t win!!! Blaa boys deserved it , just ,  1-3 I felt was a little harsh. Onwards to Monday night.600 sold and they’ve sent another 100 most of which went tonight so big bohs night out in corcaigh, bring it on!!!

3 1 was harsh alright. Just a bit of nerves for at least 1 of their goals. Great cross in for our goal. But can't be critical. That's largely an u 19 side against a fully professional side who were good and motivated for the european place points.

Edited by OohAah... - 06 Oct 2018 at 9:01am
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 9:27am
Signed out own death warrant in a way, 2 very slack balls across it our own box for the pen avid again for the third on top of a fluked pass from McCabe in goal. Two naive errors buy were competitive otherwise and tried to play the right way. Night be a blessing the unbeaten run is over, still have Cork heavy favourites for Monday especially with the suspensions. 

Would have to assume Cornwall and Grant in for Casey and Kelly looking at last night's team with Regbha making the bench again. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 10:44am
I’d written off last nights result long before KO so to hear they were competitive is a positive. 
700 is a great traveling crowd for a Monday, I’m in Drogheda on Monday myself so sadly won’t get down. Looking forward to watching it though. 
Agree suspensions make Cork firm favorites 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 8:04pm
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David McWilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 8:27pm
Any chance you can copy and paste that? Dm even? Thanks
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 8:36pm

I have recently taken up again with an old flame. After decades apart, we’ve resumed what was once a deeply passionate relationship.

We’re both very different now. With a job and a family, I’m no longer a happy-go-lucky student, free to love not wisely but too well. If truth be told, the years haven’t been the kindest to my paramour either.

Despite many lost years, though, there is a warm comfort in the old familiarity.

Perhaps the most surprising thing is how well my wife is taking it. She was one of the reasons the old relationship went south in the first place. Once I set my eyes on her, the prospect of standing freezing cold on terraces drinking lukewarm Bovril with a bunch of other blokes became less and less appealing.

I probably should have mentioned before now that the old flame I’m referring to is the League of Ireland. Like all true love affairs, I can recall the exact date and place I became smitten: April 4, 1976, Oriel Park. Dundalk v Cork Hibernians. I was seven. A win would guarantee my home-town club the league title. The Town won 1-0 and I knew this was the place for me.

Like every other football-mad boy from that era, I loved the English league and couldn’t wait for Match of the Day every Saturday night. Sunday, though, was Mass and Oriel. Unlike my classmates, my team wasn’t Liverpool or Manchester United — it was Dundalk FC. Back then there was a large gap between the two leagues but it was nowhere near the chasm it is today. Besides, Dundalk had more than their share of big European nights, famously coming within a few inches of defeating Celtic and reaching the quarter-final of the European Cup in 1979.

They were happy days following Dundalk during my formative years, with six league titles and a scatter of FAI Cups. Somewhere along the line, life got in the way. Living full-time in Dublin, other priorities took hold. I never stopped checking Dundalk’s results. I went to the odd big game, but really it was the end of the affair.

Or so I thought. Then, after more than 20 years in the doldrums for Dundalk, Stephen Kenny started to weave his magic. Playing a wonderful brand of attacking football and punching way above their weight in Europe, they won the admiration of fans across the country. I could feel myself getting sucked back in. Tuning into the local radio for games; a European game here, a cup semi-final or final there; going to away games in Dublin. A nostalgia-filled trip “home” to Oriel.

By this point, my teenage son was by my side. Living so close to Dalymount Park, we started to drop in when Dundalk played Bohemians. I can’t quite remember how it happened but suddenly it wasn’t just the lure of seeing Dundalk that drew us to “Dayler” on a Friday night.

My Phibsboro born-and-bred son was quickly hooked on Bohs. As a Dundalk fan, I was a slower burn. But the atmosphere and the history at Irish football’s spiritual home was hugely appealing. The club, with its massive sense of community, started to worm its way into my affections. By the time Bohs had beaten Shamrock Rovers 2-1 away with a last-gasp winner earlier this season, I was hooked and wondering why I had stayed away so long.

In some ways we are living through a golden age of football, but the billionaire owners and astronomical wages make it all seem a little cold and sterile. Do I really care whether Roman Abramovich’s or Sheikh Mansour’s team wins the Premier League? I went to the past two Champions League finals and the quality of the football was extraordinary, but I’m not sure it matched the sheer joy of Darragh Leahy’s 99th-minute cracker in Tallaght.

Dalymount or Oriel or the RSC in Waterford feel like a throwback to an era where Bobby Moore, after winning the World Cup, popped home to his neighbours to invite them out on the town. I’m not blind to the league’s problems. At a recent away game, the seats we went to sit in were plastered with bird droppings; not exactly conducive to attracting families.

Make no mistake, though, the league has its own unique charm. What Keith Long has done with Bohs on an annual budget that wouldn’t pay a week’s wages for Alexis Sánchez is inspirational — and playing proper passing football too.

My 16-year-old has always been a big Arsenal fan but a few weeks back he lifted his head briefly from his Xbox to communicate. “I still like Arsenal,” he said thoughtfully. “But Bohs are my local club. They’re part of who I am. They’re my team.” Apart from the day he was born, I’m not sure I’ve loved him more than at that moment.

We’re hoping for a Dundalk-Bohs cup final this year in our house but even if Bohs don’t make it through against Cork on Monday, we’ll be in Dalymount for the next home game, for next season and I suspect many years to come.

Who said romance was dead?

OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 8:36pm

Any chance you can copy and paste that? Dm even? Thanks

I’ve fallen again for the beautiful game, and having a ball

shane coleman

Save< -tracking=""_navigation_name":"add to my articles","article_parent_name":"article:"" ="Social Social--save Social--last ArticleToolbar-item js-tracking" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; : relative; color: rgb51, 51, 51; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb219, 219, 219; border-radius: 100%; width: 4rem; height: 4rem; -: initial; -: 0px 0px; -size: initial; -repeat: initial; -attachment: initial; -origin: initial; -clip: initial; -webkit-appearance: none; text-indent: -99999em;">

I have recently taken up again with an old flame. After decades apart, we’ve resumed what was once a deeply passionate relationship.

We’re both very different now. With a job and a family, I’m no longer a happy-go-lucky student, free to love not wisely but too well. If truth be told, the years haven’t been the kindest to my paramour either.

Despite many lost years, though, there is a warm comfort in the old familiarity.

Perhaps the most surprising thing is how well my wife is taking it. She was one of the reasons the old relationship went south in the first place. Once I set my eyes on her, the prospect of standing freezing cold on terraces drinking lukewarm Bovril with a bunch of other blokes became less and less appealing.

I probably should have mentioned before now that the old flame I’m referring to is the League of Ireland. Like all true love affairs, I can recall the exact date and place I became smitten: April 4, 1976, Oriel Park. Dundalk v Cork Hibernians. I was seven. A win would guarantee my home-town club the league title. The Town won 1-0 and I knew this was the place for me.

Like every other football-mad boy from that era, I loved the English league and couldn’t wait for Match of the Day every Saturday night. Sunday, though, was Mass and Oriel. Unlike my classmates, my team wasn’t Liverpool or Manchester United — it was Dundalk FC. Back then there was a large gap between the two leagues but it was nowhere near the chasm it is today. Besides, Dundalk had more than their share of big European nights, famously coming within a few inches of defeating Celtic and reaching the quarter-final of the European Cup in 1979.

They were happy days following Dundalk during my formative years, with six league titles and a scatter of FAI Cups. Somewhere along the line, life got in the way. Living full-time in Dublin, other priorities took hold. I never stopped checking Dundalk’s results. I went to the odd big game, but really it was the end of the affair.

Or so I thought. Then, after more than 20 years in the doldrums for Dundalk, Stephen Kenny started to weave his magic. Playing a wonderful brand of attacking football and punching way above their weight in Europe, they won the admiration of fans across the country. I could feel myself getting sucked back in. Tuning into the local radio for games; a European game here, a cup semi-final or final there; going to away games in Dublin. A nostalgia-filled trip “home” to Oriel.

By this point, my teenage son was by my side. Living so close to Dalymount Park, we started to drop in when Dundalk played Bohemians. I can’t quite remember how it happened but suddenly it wasn’t just the lure of seeing Dundalk that drew us to “Dayler” on a Friday night.

My Phibsboro born-and-bred son was quickly hooked on Bohs. As a Dundalk fan, I was a slower burn. But the atmosphere and the history at Irish football’s spiritual home was hugely appealing. The club, with its massive sense of community, started to worm its way into my affections. By the time Bohs had beaten Shamrock Rovers 2-1 away with a last-gasp winner earlier this season, I was hooked and wondering why I had stayed away so long.

In some ways we are living through a golden age of football, but the billionaire owners and astronomical wages make it all seem a little cold and sterile. Do I really care whether Roman Abramovich’s or Sheikh Mansour’s team wins the Premier League? I went to the past two Champions League finals and the quality of the football was extraordinary, but I’m not sure it matched the sheer joy of Darragh Leahy’s 99th-minute cracker in Tallaght.

Dalymount or Oriel or the RSC in Waterford feel like a throwback to an era where Bobby Moore, after winning the World Cup, popped home to his neighbours to invite them out on the town. I’m not blind to the league’s problems. At a recent away game, the seats we went to sit in were plastered with bird droppings; not exactly conducive to attracting families.

Make no mistake, though, the league has its own unique charm. What Keith Long has done with Bohs on an annual budget that wouldn’t pay a week’s wages for Alexis Sánchez is inspirational — and playing proper passing football too.

My 16-year-old has always been a big Arsenal fan but a few weeks back he lifted his head briefly from his Xbox to communicate. “I still like Arsenal,” he said thoughtfully. “But Bohs are my local club. They’re part of who I am. They’re my team.” Apart from the day he was born, I’m not sure I’ve loved him more than at that moment.

We’re hoping for a Dundalk-Bohs cup final this year in our house but even if Bohs don’t make it through against Cork on Monday, we’ll be in Dalymount for the next home game, for next season and I suspect many years to come.

Who said romance was dead?

Shane Coleman presents Newstalk Breakfast, weekdays

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David McWilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 9:08pm
Deadly
sledgehammer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sledgehammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 9:31pm
Excellent article. Really sums up my feelings on my last few years in Dalymount. The place is infectious.
Up there for thinking. Down there for dancing
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by sledgehammer sledgehammer wrote:

Excellent article. Really sums up my feelings on my last few years in Dalymount. The place is infectious.
top man Sledger👏Long time no see,ybig folklore 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 11:48am
700 tickets sold for tomorrow Clap I’ll have make do with watching on tv. Back page doing lots of specials for anyone not travelling, I entered a comp with them for last weeks game & lost, received an email on Friday saying there’s a free pint on Monday for entering. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 285>
  Share Topic