FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bohemian F.C. Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 227228229230231 285>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 8:18pm
Badly need a goal
Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 8:05pm
Bollox. 

Dunno about that offside call there either
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

She wore !!!!!

outta here.... getting on the Road
Great song... Enjoyed it at the drawn game
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 3:11pm
Still don't get the Arsenal references, there's hardly a link between the two sets of fans, is there?
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 3:01pm
She wore !!!!!

outta here.... getting on the Road
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 7:34am
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 7:13pm
great stuff boys hard luck to the Waterford lads a fine sideClap
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 6:26pm
U 19s won today the 1/4 final in the league against  Waterford ...
Came 3 times from behind to win 4-3. Great play ahain, constantly playing ball. Hamilton middle of the park pullling the strings. So that's half the u19s who played on wedneWedn and the other half who played on Friday. Lads will be bolloxed I'd say. 
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 1:37pm
fair play to them fingers it’s a good spot alright but the club are opening the bars tomorrow be open from 7 , let’s keep the money coming in,Clap
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 11:48am
700 tickets sold for tomorrow Clap I’ll have make do with watching on tv. Back page doing lots of specials for anyone not travelling, I entered a comp with them for last weeks game & lost, received an email on Friday saying there’s a free pint on Monday for entering. 
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by sledgehammer sledgehammer wrote:

Excellent article. Really sums up my feelings on my last few years in Dalymount. The place is infectious.
top man Sledger👏Long time no see,ybig folklore 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
sledgehammer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sledgehammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 9:31pm
Excellent article. Really sums up my feelings on my last few years in Dalymount. The place is infectious.
Up there for thinking. Down there for dancing
David McWilliams View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David McWilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 9:08pm
Deadly
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by David McWilliams David McWilliams wrote:

Any chance you can copy and paste that? Dm even? Thanks

I’ve fallen again for the beautiful game, and having a ball

shane coleman

Save< -tracking=""_navigation_name":"add to my articles","article_parent_name":"article:"" ="Social Social--save Social--last ArticleToolbar-item js-tracking" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: middle; : relative; color: rgb51, 51, 51; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb219, 219, 219; border-radius: 100%; width: 4rem; height: 4rem; -: initial; -: 0px 0px; -size: initial; -repeat: initial; -attachment: initial; -origin: initial; -clip: initial; -webkit-appearance: none; text-indent: -99999em;">

I have recently taken up again with an old flame. After decades apart, we’ve resumed what was once a deeply passionate relationship.

We’re both very different now. With a job and a family, I’m no longer a happy-go-lucky student, free to love not wisely but too well. If truth be told, the years haven’t been the kindest to my paramour either.

Despite many lost years, though, there is a warm comfort in the old familiarity.

Perhaps the most surprising thing is how well my wife is taking it. She was one of the reasons the old relationship went south in the first place. Once I set my eyes on her, the prospect of standing freezing cold on terraces drinking lukewarm Bovril with a bunch of other blokes became less and less appealing.

I probably should have mentioned before now that the old flame I’m referring to is the League of Ireland. Like all true love affairs, I can recall the exact date and place I became smitten: April 4, 1976, Oriel Park. Dundalk v Cork Hibernians. I was seven. A win would guarantee my home-town club the league title. The Town won 1-0 and I knew this was the place for me.

Like every other football-mad boy from that era, I loved the English league and couldn’t wait for Match of the Day every Saturday night. Sunday, though, was Mass and Oriel. Unlike my classmates, my team wasn’t Liverpool or Manchester United — it was Dundalk FC. Back then there was a large gap between the two leagues but it was nowhere near the chasm it is today. Besides, Dundalk had more than their share of big European nights, famously coming within a few inches of defeating Celtic and reaching the quarter-final of the European Cup in 1979.

They were happy days following Dundalk during my formative years, with six league titles and a scatter of FAI Cups. Somewhere along the line, life got in the way. Living full-time in Dublin, other priorities took hold. I never stopped checking Dundalk’s results. I went to the odd big game, but really it was the end of the affair.

Or so I thought. Then, after more than 20 years in the doldrums for Dundalk, Stephen Kenny started to weave his magic. Playing a wonderful brand of attacking football and punching way above their weight in Europe, they won the admiration of fans across the country. I could feel myself getting sucked back in. Tuning into the local radio for games; a European game here, a cup semi-final or final there; going to away games in Dublin. A nostalgia-filled trip “home” to Oriel.

By this point, my teenage son was by my side. Living so close to Dalymount Park, we started to drop in when Dundalk played Bohemians. I can’t quite remember how it happened but suddenly it wasn’t just the lure of seeing Dundalk that drew us to “Dayler” on a Friday night.

My Phibsboro born-and-bred son was quickly hooked on Bohs. As a Dundalk fan, I was a slower burn. But the atmosphere and the history at Irish football’s spiritual home was hugely appealing. The club, with its massive sense of community, started to worm its way into my affections. By the time Bohs had beaten Shamrock Rovers 2-1 away with a last-gasp winner earlier this season, I was hooked and wondering why I had stayed away so long.

In some ways we are living through a golden age of football, but the billionaire owners and astronomical wages make it all seem a little cold and sterile. Do I really care whether Roman Abramovich’s or Sheikh Mansour’s team wins the Premier League? I went to the past two Champions League finals and the quality of the football was extraordinary, but I’m not sure it matched the sheer joy of Darragh Leahy’s 99th-minute cracker in Tallaght.

Dalymount or Oriel or the RSC in Waterford feel like a throwback to an era where Bobby Moore, after winning the World Cup, popped home to his neighbours to invite them out on the town. I’m not blind to the league’s problems. At a recent away game, the seats we went to sit in were plastered with bird droppings; not exactly conducive to attracting families.

Make no mistake, though, the league has its own unique charm. What Keith Long has done with Bohs on an annual budget that wouldn’t pay a week’s wages for Alexis Sánchez is inspirational — and playing proper passing football too.

My 16-year-old has always been a big Arsenal fan but a few weeks back he lifted his head briefly from his Xbox to communicate. “I still like Arsenal,” he said thoughtfully. “But Bohs are my local club. They’re part of who I am. They’re my team.” Apart from the day he was born, I’m not sure I’ve loved him more than at that moment.

We’re hoping for a Dundalk-Bohs cup final this year in our house but even if Bohs don’t make it through against Cork on Monday, we’ll be in Dalymount for the next home game, for next season and I suspect many years to come.

Who said romance was dead?

Shane Coleman presents Newstalk Breakfast, weekdays

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 8:36pm

I have recently taken up again with an old flame. After decades apart, we’ve resumed what was once a deeply passionate relationship.

We’re both very different now. With a job and a family, I’m no longer a happy-go-lucky student, free to love not wisely but too well. If truth be told, the years haven’t been the kindest to my paramour either.

Despite many lost years, though, there is a warm comfort in the old familiarity.

Perhaps the most surprising thing is how well my wife is taking it. She was one of the reasons the old relationship went south in the first place. Once I set my eyes on her, the prospect of standing freezing cold on terraces drinking lukewarm Bovril with a bunch of other blokes became less and less appealing.

I probably should have mentioned before now that the old flame I’m referring to is the League of Ireland. Like all true love affairs, I can recall the exact date and place I became smitten: April 4, 1976, Oriel Park. Dundalk v Cork Hibernians. I was seven. A win would guarantee my home-town club the league title. The Town won 1-0 and I knew this was the place for me.

Like every other football-mad boy from that era, I loved the English league and couldn’t wait for Match of the Day every Saturday night. Sunday, though, was Mass and Oriel. Unlike my classmates, my team wasn’t Liverpool or Manchester United — it was Dundalk FC. Back then there was a large gap between the two leagues but it was nowhere near the chasm it is today. Besides, Dundalk had more than their share of big European nights, famously coming within a few inches of defeating Celtic and reaching the quarter-final of the European Cup in 1979.

They were happy days following Dundalk during my formative years, with six league titles and a scatter of FAI Cups. Somewhere along the line, life got in the way. Living full-time in Dublin, other priorities took hold. I never stopped checking Dundalk’s results. I went to the odd big game, but really it was the end of the affair.

Or so I thought. Then, after more than 20 years in the doldrums for Dundalk, Stephen Kenny started to weave his magic. Playing a wonderful brand of attacking football and punching way above their weight in Europe, they won the admiration of fans across the country. I could feel myself getting sucked back in. Tuning into the local radio for games; a European game here, a cup semi-final or final there; going to away games in Dublin. A nostalgia-filled trip “home” to Oriel.

By this point, my teenage son was by my side. Living so close to Dalymount Park, we started to drop in when Dundalk played Bohemians. I can’t quite remember how it happened but suddenly it wasn’t just the lure of seeing Dundalk that drew us to “Dayler” on a Friday night.

My Phibsboro born-and-bred son was quickly hooked on Bohs. As a Dundalk fan, I was a slower burn. But the atmosphere and the history at Irish football’s spiritual home was hugely appealing. The club, with its massive sense of community, started to worm its way into my affections. By the time Bohs had beaten Shamrock Rovers 2-1 away with a last-gasp winner earlier this season, I was hooked and wondering why I had stayed away so long.

In some ways we are living through a golden age of football, but the billionaire owners and astronomical wages make it all seem a little cold and sterile. Do I really care whether Roman Abramovich’s or Sheikh Mansour’s team wins the Premier League? I went to the past two Champions League finals and the quality of the football was extraordinary, but I’m not sure it matched the sheer joy of Darragh Leahy’s 99th-minute cracker in Tallaght.

Dalymount or Oriel or the RSC in Waterford feel like a throwback to an era where Bobby Moore, after winning the World Cup, popped home to his neighbours to invite them out on the town. I’m not blind to the league’s problems. At a recent away game, the seats we went to sit in were plastered with bird droppings; not exactly conducive to attracting families.

Make no mistake, though, the league has its own unique charm. What Keith Long has done with Bohs on an annual budget that wouldn’t pay a week’s wages for Alexis Sánchez is inspirational — and playing proper passing football too.

My 16-year-old has always been a big Arsenal fan but a few weeks back he lifted his head briefly from his Xbox to communicate. “I still like Arsenal,” he said thoughtfully. “But Bohs are my local club. They’re part of who I am. They’re my team.” Apart from the day he was born, I’m not sure I’ve loved him more than at that moment.

We’re hoping for a Dundalk-Bohs cup final this year in our house but even if Bohs don’t make it through against Cork on Monday, we’ll be in Dalymount for the next home game, for next season and I suspect many years to come.

Who said romance was dead?

David McWilliams View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David McWilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 8:27pm
Any chance you can copy and paste that? Dm even? Thanks
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 8:04pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 10:44am
I’d written off last nights result long before KO so to hear they were competitive is a positive. 
700 is a great traveling crowd for a Monday, I’m in Drogheda on Monday myself so sadly won’t get down. Looking forward to watching it though. 
Agree suspensions make Cork firm favorites 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 227228229230231 285>
  Share Topic