You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scott Hogan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 90>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Duffy played for Foyle Harps in the IFA's jurisdiction when he started playing for NI underage.  As such, he didn't have an option to play for ROI.
Nonsense.

Duffy's father is from Donegal. According to said father, he had already attended an ROI Youth Training Camp. And he was entirely eligible to play for ROI's underage teams long before he eventually switched.

The sole reason he didn't was because he was getting exposure to international football at a high level (U-21, "B" and even "A" international friendlies) with Northern Ireland FAR sooner than he would have had he been in the ROI set-up.

Which is why he delayed switching until Brady spoke to him, and offered him a place in an ROI Senior Training Camp in the next couple of months.

You and others can say all you like about my motives etc, but those are the facts.

Territorial:  everybody born in Northern Ireland is technically eligible for ROI.  

However Foyle Harps is in the IFA's jurisdiction, and as such, he wasn't selected, or even considered, by ROI at underage level when he played U16 ad U17 for NI.  

You do raise one good point though.  Perhaps the FAI should be sending scouts to youth games in the six counties to try identify eligible talent at a younger age.  That they don't already would seem to be some gentleman's agreement they have to appease the IFA.

Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I'm still struggling to think of any Anglo who fobbed off an approach by the ROI and who eventually ended up playing for them. Refusing an international call up to a World Cup squad is a pretty big deal and it's unlikely the same country will come calling again.
Whatever happened in the past (and times change), look at it from Hogan's pov.

He's English, a fan of the England team, and unless/until he indicates otherwise, they must be his "default setting". Which is why he won't want to exclude himself from playing for them, at least before he knows that that particular ship has sailed.

In the meantime he fobs off MO'N who, true to character, writes him out of the picture.

But Hogan (or his Agent) must know that MO'N will likely step down after Moscow 2018. In fact, should it prove impossible before then for ROI to qualify, it might be sooner. And regardless of the team's progress, should some EPL club make him an offer he can't refuse, he might well go anyhow.

Which would leave a new man in charge, and a clean slate for Hogan. So that it could be presented as a feather in the cap of the new man if he could say he succeeded in persuading Hogan where MO'N had failed.

Of course, this is all pure speculation on my part, but if it were me, that's how I would be thinking.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 8:31pm

I would think [Hogan] has a lot to lose by fobbing off Martin O'Neill. It's unlikely O'Neill will call him again if the answer is 'no' in autumn 2016.
Hogan is 24, O'Neill is 64.

He will still be playing football after (long after?) MO'N has ceased to be ROI manager.

And he could use the time spent waiting for MO'N to move on to assess how his chances with England are going.

Especially when ROI's current striking options are the wrong side of 30, bar Long, who reaches that age in January.

(I don't want to use the phrase "Beggars can't be Choosers". So I won't     )

I'm still struggling to think of any Anglo who fobbed off an approach by the ROI and who eventually ended up playing for them. Refusing an international call up to a World Cup squad is a pretty big deal and it's unlikely the same country will come calling again.

Pilkington.  

Dillied and dallied for months during Norwich's first season in the PL and he was knocking them in for fun (including a winner against MU in Old Trafford I seem to remember).  Was constantly "injured" when Ireland got mentioned and a lot of the UK media were promoting him for an England call-up.  
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 8:49pm
There is only one reason why Hogan isn't playing for us, its his injury history. It's his first 3 months of playing regular football in a few seasons he needs to learn to manage his injuries now and stay fit. 

Give the fella a break, I fully expect him to declare Ireland, England won't be an option. They've an endless line of strikers even in the Championship there is a number that could play for England last year Afobe banged them in he had played all his youth career for England and now plays for Congo. In the PL Troy Deeny cant get a call up, nor can Carroll never mind Callum Wilson. It's upto Martin O'Neill now to tie the fella down after Christmas, we've a serious goal scoring threat on our hands here.

The same ****s moaning that he's turned his nose up, sent a number of messages to Arter when Merson said he could play for England, we should be delighted to have Scott Hogan I don't care if he was born in Azerbaijan no he mightnt feel irish, but in time when he gets to see our country meet our people, score vital goals.. he may just a part of it and that'll do it for me. 

What Hogan actually said pre Euro 2016 was he would basically be honoured, one of his idols was Keane, sent Roy Keane to have a chat with the man. 

Territoral, f**k off. Why you come on this forum, i do not know.

Edited by SByrne24 - 14 Oct 2016 at 8:50pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 8:53pm

Territorial:  everybody born in Northern Ireland is technically eligible for ROI.  

However Foyle Harps is in the IFA's jurisdiction, and as such, he wasn't selected, or even considered, by ROI at underage level when he played U16 ad U17 for NI.
Where are you getting this Foyle Harps/jurisdiction idea from?

Might it be that you are confusing it with Schoolboys football, whereby you must represent the Schools FA in the jurisdiction where you go to school, not the one where you were born? [See eg Ryan Giggs, Andrew Driver or Chris Curran]. In which case, you are probably referring to Duffy's appearance in the Victory Shield (i.e. Schools FA football), when Duffy was still only 15.

Meanwhile, he joined Everton when he was 16, so this "Foyle Harps/having to play for NI due to jurisdiction" business really doesn't, indeed cannot, come into it.

You do raise one good point though.  Perhaps the FAI should be sending scouts to youth games in the six counties to try identify eligible talent at a younger age.  That they don't already would seem to be some gentleman's agreement they have to appease the IFA.
The FAI is already all over youth football in NI, and has been for years. So that just about every NI representative game, plus tournaments like the Milk and Foyle Cups etc, have FAI scouts at them.

To give one example from a few years back, an Australian Schools team was on a tour of the UK. They had a match arranged against their NI counterparts for Belfast. On the morning of the game, due to bad overnight weather, it had to be hastily switched to Fermanagh. But despite this, and the fact it was an afternoon/midweek game, two FAI scouts were seen in attendance.

And I have it on the soundest of authority that the FAI are also offering inducements to the parents and families of promising young players to get them to switch eg taking them out to dinners etc, where doubtless all sorts of promises get made.

And as for your final point, you need to be dealing with Gentlemen in order to secure a Gentlemens' Agreement with them...
Padraig View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 10:03pm

Where are you getting this Foyle Harps/jurisdiction idea from?

Might it be that you are confusing it with Schoolboys football, whereby you must represent the Schools FA in the jurisdiction where you go to school, not the one where you were born? [See eg Ryan Giggs, Andrew Driver or Chris Curran]. In which case, you are probably referring to Duffy's appearance in the Victory Shield (i.e. Schools FA football), when Duffy was still only 15.

Meanwhile, he joined Everton when he was 16, so this "Foyle Harps/having to play for NI due to jurisdiction" business really doesn't, indeed cannot, come into it.

The FAI is already all over youth football in NI, and has been for years. So that just about every NI representative game, plus tournaments like the Milk and Foyle Cups etc, have FAI scouts at them.

To give one example from a few years back, an Australian Schools team was on a tour of the UK. They had a match arranged against their NI counterparts for Belfast. On the morning of the game, due to bad overnight weather, it had to be hastily switched to Fermanagh. But despite this, and the fact it was an afternoon/midweek game, two FAI scouts were seen in attendance.

And I have it on the soundest of authority that the FAI are also offering inducements to the parents and families of promising young players to get them to switch eg taking them out to dinners etc, where doubtless all sorts of promises get made.

And as for your final point, you need to be dealing with Gentlemen in order to secure a Gentlemens' Agreement with them...

I've never heard of such ungentlemanly conduct in my life, imagine asking Irish players to play for Ireland.Shocked
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

There is only one reason why Hogan isn't playing for us, its his injury history. It's his first 3 months of playing regular football in a few seasons he needs to learn to manage his injuries now and stay fit. 

Give the fella a break, I fully expect him to declare Ireland, England won't be an option. They've an endless line of strikers even in the Championship there is a number that could play for England last year Afobe banged them in he had played all his youth career for England and now plays for Congo. In the PL Troy Deeny cant get a call up, nor can Carroll never mind Callum Wilson. It's upto Martin O'Neill now to tie the fella down after Christmas, we've a serious goal scoring threat on our hands here.

The same ****s moaning that he's turned his nose up, sent a number of messages to Arter when Merson said he could play for England, we should be delighted to have Scott Hogan I don't care if he was born in Azerbaijan no he mightnt feel irish, but in time when he gets to see our country meet our people, score vital goals.. he may just a part of it and that'll do it for me. 

What Hogan actually said pre Euro 2016 was he would basically be honoured, one of his idols was Keane, sent Roy Keane to have a chat with the man. 

If Hogan merely has fitness concerns, he could give O'Neill a verbal commitment that he wants to play for the Republic in future and be a part of the squad. Giving him no answer at all though or saying "Let's see how the land lies in six or nine months' time" would not be acceptable. Either he's interested in playing for Ireland or he isn't.
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 12:00am

If Hogan merely has fitness concerns, he could give O'Neill a verbal commitment that he wants to play for the Republic in future and be a part of the squad. Giving him no answer at all though or saying "Let's see how the land lies in six or nine months' time" would not be acceptable. Either he's interested in playing for Ireland or he isn't.

MON hasn't met the chap yet face to face let's calm down. We need our fans welcoming the likes of Scott Hogan, not moaning he hasn't committed fully yet, firstly he wants a football career he has to be careful once he feels he is in the clear then yes. Hogan will play for Ireland i'd be fairly shocked if he didn't , he already carries an Irish passport. 
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 2:18am

MON hasn't met the chap yet face to face let's calm down. We need our fans welcoming the likes of Scott Hogan, not moaning he hasn't committed fully yet, firstly he wants a football career he has to be careful once he feels he is in the clear then yes. Hogan will play for Ireland i'd be fairly shocked if he didn't , he already carries an Irish passport.

So does Ian Paisley JR.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:44am
How do you know he has an Irish passport? I'd be very surprised if he did!
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 12:31pm
Wasn't he selected for the Under 21s and pulled out through injury? That would suggest he has an Irish passport.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

Wasn't he selected for the Under 21s and pulled out through injury? That would suggest he has an Irish passport.
Correct.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 1:51pm

Yes, and the latest reports saying he intends delaying a decision could be inaccurate so let's wait and see. But if he meets MON and gives him no sort of commitment to playing for Ireland, I'd say it's very unlikely O'Neill will come calling again. "I'm concentrating on my fitness and my club career for the moment" is not really an acceptable answer to give to an international manager who is trying to call you up for a World Cup squad.
GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 4:13pm
Scores vs Newcastle.

Grass is green, Sky is blue
LHurlz View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 4:14pm
pulls one back against newcastle, in other news water is wet
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 5:10pm
And he scores again LOL 

He could be crucial to us making the World Cup, in the coming games v Wales and games at home, an out and out goal scorer is likely to be the difference. 

I really hope MON sells himself to Hogan in the coming weeks.
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 5:11pm

Yes, and the latest reports saying he intends delaying a decision could be inaccurate so let's wait and see. But if he meets MON and gives him no sort of commitment to playing for Ireland, I'd say it's very unlikely O'Neill will come calling again. "I'm concentrating on my fitness and my club career for the moment" is not really an acceptable answer to give to an international manager who is trying to call you up for a World Cup squad.

Thats the answer he give to the papers, not the FAI nor Martin O'Neill directly. Stop reading the press and use logic.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 5:43pm

Thats the answer he give to the papers, not the FAI nor Martin O'Neill directly. Stop reading the press and use logic.

I did say further up that the recent stories in the press may be bogus and he could be intending to declare for us - if so, all is well and good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 90>
  Share Topic