You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rep of Irl WNT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 143>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Shame that these 3 have taken the places of 3 young home based players. Have they shown any previous interest in declaring I wonder. 

Well Mannion's been purposely avoiding us for 10 years anyway, until it suddenly suits her to find her inner Irishness just before a World Cup. Don't know what the story is with the others.

Has she been purposely avoiding us or has she simply gone up through all the age grades with England, her country of birth and residence. Pauw said she was already on her radar before she did her ACL last March. Did Ireland ever try to call up her previous to that?
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Would you turn down the likes of Maddison/Gallagher/Bamford/Delap if they suddenly decided to come on board for the mens team?

IMO There's no point in adopting such a puritanical view in this day and age when all other countries are doing much the same. 

It depends when they came on board. If they came in now when we're doing nothing of note, then great, welcome aboard.

But if they came in after we qualified for a World Cup, but before the tournament itself, having shown no interest for years before that, they could f**k off as far as I'm concerned. That's what Mannion is looking to do here. She's 27 - where's she been up to now - waiting for another England call up is where. Now suddenly she wants in because there's a chance to play at a World Cup. 

She's more than welcome after the World Cup if she wants to come in at that stage.

Ah look, I dont know much about womens soccer but from what I have read, Mannion is playing for one of the top clubs in one of the top leagues in womens football, she's eligible with very strong Irish roots. Pauw is absolutely right to be having a look at her imo. After that it's up to the manager to decide whether or not it risks team cohesion etc. but if she can significantly improve the starting XI in advance of the World Cup, then Pauw would be crazy not to try to get her on board. 

Btw I have never seen her play and I have no idea if she represents an improvement on what we have already. Does she even start regularly in the WSL?

I'd say the same thing if the mens team qualified for the Euros and the likes of Gallagher or Maddison were suddenly interested. Just look at what even the likes of top nations like Spain. Portugal, Germany do to get foreign born players on board.

The worst one for me, in these parts anyway, was Che Adams. Turned down Scotland repeatedly for 4 years until they qualified for the Euros, then suddenly rocked up a couple of months before the finals professing his Scottishness. The Scots were worse for not telling him to wait until after the finals, for all the good bringing him along did them.

Edited by You Tell Me - 10 Feb 2023 at 3:55pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 4:01pm

I could be forgetting, but I don't remember many older overseas players coming in during the Charlton era in the periods between when we qualified for the two World Cups and the tournaments themselves.

Tim Cahill tried to do it under Mick before the 2002 tournament if I remember correctly.

Technically Mick tried to get Cahill on board rather than Cahill approaching us. Rules at the time were strict which meant he was tied to Western Samoa because of an appearance he made at 14 for their U20s in 1994.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

I could be forgetting, but I don't remember many older overseas players coming in during the Charlton era in the periods between when we qualified for the two World Cups and the tournaments themselves.

Tim Cahill tried to do it under Mick before the 2002 tournament if I remember correctly.

Technically Mick tried to get Cahill on board rather than Cahill approaching us. Rules at the time were strict which meant he was tied to Western Samoa because of an appearance he made at 14 for their U20s in 1994.

He'd have been a good capture tbf, went on to have an excellent career for Australia and was brilliant in the air.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 4:22pm

He'd have been a good capture tbf, went on to have an excellent career for Australia and was brilliant in the air.

Even after they changed the rules he technically shouldn't have been eligible for us still because he was third generation. Though we know FIFA didn't really enforce that rule which prevented Johansson switching at first till Luxembourg objected.

Assume Mick was wanting him on board for the long term rather than bringing him to the WC. Spent most his time in the third tier with Millwall who only got promoted the summer before the WC.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 4:42pm

Even after they changed the rules he technically shouldn't have been eligible for us still because he was third generation. Though we know FIFA didn't really enforce that rule which prevented Johansson switching at first till Luxembourg objected.

Assume Mick was wanting him on board for the long term rather than bringing him to the WC. Spent most his time in the third tier with Millwall who only got promoted the summer before the WC.

Millwall reached the Championship (2nd tier) play offs semi-final that May (2002). Cahill was only 22 at that stage and had scored 13 in 43 Championship games that season. He would have been a decent option at that WC imo.

He went on to reach the FA Cup Final with Millwall in 2004 before signing for Everton in the top league. Scored roughly 1 in 4 for both Millwall and Everton from central midfield, we could do with the likes of him now. He would definitely have been a big capture for us back then given he was still a very good top level PL player right up until 2012 when he left for the USA.
Idah Dream!
nordlingen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordlingen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 7:09pm
its a bit unclear really....
Vera says Sheva been trying to get passport sorted for three years...so fair enough.....Mannion was on radar last year.....but she can't get competitive games at Man U at the moment.....is that cos she's not fully fit after ACL or she is but can't get into team ?
Did Colin Bell have either on His radar...?
It seems Vera is considering this camp as a kinda trial for both of them....
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 7:42pm
From what I’ve heard Mannion first signalled an interest in coming on board just before her injury (so early in the qualifying campaign).

Obviously the timing doesn’t look great but with her only now coming back from injury it couldn’t be avoided.

I don’t really see the issue with it tbh, she’s one of 2 new players, it’s not a huge influx.

Be interested to see what Sheva is like- playing NWSL but only fairly intermittently it seems.

As a strange quirk of faith Mannion was a school classmate of non other than Jack Grealish Shocked

Edited by giveittochristie - 10 Feb 2023 at 7:43pm
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 8:27pm
Plastic Pauline's, I've heard it all now wha
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 8:38pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 8:47am
I see Mannion went to primary school with Jack Grealish. One skirts off for a better chance at international tournaments, the other slinks in for an international tournament. 

Mannion has a significant amount of England underage caps and was even in a senior squad. Have these points been referenced anywhere in media coverage? The willingness to make these calls was expressed by Pauw quite clearly and that didn't get much challenge did it?
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

I see Mannion went to primary school with Jack Grealish. One skirts off for a better chance at international tournaments, the other slinks in for an international tournament. 

Mannion has a significant amount of England underage caps and was even in a senior squad. Have these points been referenced anywhere in media coverage? The willingness to make these calls was expressed by Pauw quite clearly and that didn't get much challenge did it?

Cry more please.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 10:44am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Cry more please.
Good post.

I personally don't have any significant issues with it. I'm just surprised it hasn't been debated or questioned too significantly.
nordlingen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordlingen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 5:02pm
no great need to question it... international managers are constantly looking for new options and Vera did state after Scotland game there were a few players they were tracking.....
Having said that it would be a shame if players involved all along missed out on a first ever WC but that's sport and life.....if this happened in the middle of a campaign it wouldn't be news and there's a fair chance some of our squad will be unavailable through injury come July as is the situation for this camp.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 5:43pm
The drama about English dual nationals coming through into the women's game. About time really ... Tongue
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 8:32pm
No need for a DNA test to prove their Irishness for the 2 newest recruits anyway , big culchie heads on the both of them 😂
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 8:12pm
Australia with a 4-0 win over the Czechia today.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 6:50pm
Anyone know the score in the behind closed doors friendly against Ze Germans?
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 143>
  Share Topic