You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Darragh Lenihan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 11:04am
Captains Middlesbrough in the playoff semi final first leg against Coventry at 12 o'clock. McNally starts for Coventry, Seanie Maguire on the bench for them also.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 2:05pm
It finished 0-0, which is probably the scoreline you would want with two Irish centre backs playing. Keith Andrews was at it. I only saw the second half but Lenihan looked good, while McNally didn't have as much defending to do but looked very comfortable in possession. 

Two very decent players, but in a position we're relatively strong in. They're probably next in line now after Egan, Collins, O'Shea and Omobamidele - not sure where Duffy sits at this stage as he hasn't been playing much. With O'Shea probably injured and Duffy hardly playing, either or both of them could be in the next squad.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

It finished 0-0, which is probably the scoreline you would want with two Irish centre backs playing. Keith Andrews was at it. I only saw the second half but Lenihan looked good, while McNally didn't have as much defending to do but looked very comfortable in possession. 

Two very decent players, but in a position we're relatively strong in. They're probably next in line now after Egan, Collins, O'Shea and Omobamidele - not sure where Duffy sits at this stage as he hasn't been playing much. With O'Shea probably injured and Duffy hardly playing, either or both of them could be in the next squad.

Yeah wouldn't be surprised, especially with Coleman out wh also covers RCB and Collins too playing very little ball.

Lenihan should arguably have been a regular in the squad anyway, he was excellent in last summers games for us and has been performing just as well as Egan and O'Shea in the Championship.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 3:12pm
Coleman’s out and O’Shea is a question mark too. 

Both Lenihan and McNally are next in line and should be in the squad. About time we brought in McNally now perfect for the way he’s trying to play and playing to a decent standard now with potential for a higher ceiling again.

seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 5:18pm
Bit mad this fella is 29 and only has 3 caps. Seems solid and consistent. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 10:16am
Thought he was dreadful last night, look at his positioning for the winner as a LCB.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 1:43pm
I've been saying for years he's not up to it, O'Shea lacking match fitness would still have been better.

Unfortunately, none of the big calls worked last night. Lenihan and O'Dowda were really poor, the midfield shape didn't work, and Idah wasn't good up front.
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Thought he was dreadful last night, look at his positioning for the winner as a LCB.

Had a poor game, I was surprised Egan didnt start in that LCB role and said as much before the game. Egan has played there often for Sheff Utd and would maybe have been better able to help O'Dowda. Lenihan did the same thing as outlined on a number of occasions - clearly not used to playing in a 3 where you have to sometimes mark the space inside or behind the LWB rather than pick up a man.
Idah Dream!
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Had a poor game, I was surprised Egan didnt start in that LCB role and said as much before the game. Egan has played there often for Sheff Utd and would maybe have been better able to help O'Dowda. Lenihan did the same thing as outlined on a number of occasions - clearly not used to playing in a 3 where you have to sometimes mark the space inside or behind the LWB rather than pick up a man.

Despite some iffy moments, he was ranked as Ireland's 2nd best player statistically speaking.

80 touches
60/70 passes completed (86.7%)
2/3 long ball completed (66.9%)
5 passss into final third

5/5 aerial duels won (100%)
Dribbled past - 0 times
5 clearances
3 blocks
2 recoveries 

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Despite some iffy moments, he was ranked as Ireland's 2nd best player statistically speaking.

80 touches

Dribbled past - 0 times
5 clearances
3 blocks
2 recoveries 

Lies, damned lies and statistics
Idah Dream!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 3:40pm

80 touches

Dribbled past - 0 times
5 clearances
3 blocks
2 recoveries 

The game is played on grass.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 3:51pm

80 touches

Dribbled past - 0 times
5 clearances
3 blocks
2 recoveries 

That's great. But you can't deny statistics either. He wasn't as bad you claimed. 

Maybe post some clips of his mistakes if you want to provide more context outside of your eye test.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 3:54pm

80 touches

Dribbled past - 0 times
5 clearances
3 blocks
2 recoveries 

That's great. But you can't deny statistics either. He wasn't as bad you claimed. 

Maybe post some clips of his mistakes if you want to provide more context outside of your eye test.

He was terrible! Positionally all over the place, I  posted a link above for context showing this chief.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 3:59pm
And you could have picked out several further examples of exactly the same positioning issue. He clearly isnt used to playing in a 3 and boy did it show last night. 

What is disappointing is that the coaching staff obviously knew he doesnt play in a 3 regularly and this should have been worked on in the training games, particulalry given that O'Dowda was the selected LWB.
Idah Dream!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 4:04pm

And you could have picked out several further examples of exactly the same positioning issue. He clearly isnt used to playing in a 3 and boy did it show last night. 

What is disappointing is that the coaching staff obviously knew he doesnt play in a 3 regularly and this should have been worked on in the training games, particulalry given that O'Dowda was the selected LWB.

He has played in a back three this season under Wilder/Percovich. But is usually in the middle of a trio.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 4:10pm

He has played in a back three this season under Wilder/Percovich. But is usually in the middle of a trio.

Clearly didnt go well so Smile
Idah Dream!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 4:21pm

Clearly didnt go well so Smile

Was just correcting your incorrect assumption. Glad to have enlightened you.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 5:27pm

He played in a 3 all last year with Blackburn anyway, I don't know what system Boro play. He's a bargain version of Shane Duffy, there's been clamour over the years to get him more involved but every time he's played he's been a bombscare.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic