You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Airbnb Scams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

[QUOTE=Salzburglilly] Fintan clearly owns one of those hotels.
[/QUOTE

DAY 5......of the witch hunt and abuse for having a ddifferent opinion and outlook to tthe great and good of YBIG. Nice. Great bunch of lads altogether.

Persecution complex much? You had a rant at people for trying to save money. Everyone is allowed a different opinion (even if yours is a load of sh*t). Statements like anyone using AirBnB deserves to be ripped off and my personal favourite "Crusties trying to make or save a few bob should cop on and think of the food they are taking out of the mouths of hotel owners and their staff......just so they can save a few Euro.
" aren't going to endear you to anyone. It seems you're the one intolerant of anyone doing anything differently.

So where have you booked and what ave you paid?
Sponsored Links

bannerboy95 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannerboy95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 1:58pm
I have booked air bnb for both of the bordeaux and lille games I am staying in bordeaux for 5 nights and got that for around 467 euro full apartment for the 3 of us and then for lille we have an apartment in the city centre for 2 nights for around 200 euro I would hope that none of these scam stories are true
Skipper View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:16pm
one of the scams I see are places for rent in say Italy/Spain etc when you contact them to rent they will say they are the owner and are abroad at the moment in another country but they have a leasing company to handle the property and give you a number for them usually in another country again....this leasing company (fake) need a deposit of 1k€ and to save administration fees etc it's best to use western union etc and you guessed it you just sent money to some scammer

They even have websites set up for these fake leasing agents

Here is a FAKE one based on a real Irish company
http://www.ceppip.com/services.html (safe to open just don't contact them note the address is in Ireland but they are all UK details elseware)

Here is the real Irish estate agent they copied: http://www.castles.ie (again note the address)

IF IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBABLY IS........GET A SECOND OPINION OR LOOK INTO THE PROPERTY .....AIRBNB has ratings use them like you use eBay ratings
Stephen Irelands Superman Jocks!!
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 1:16am
Skipper that is completely different to Airbnb .You don't pay anything to the owner up front nor give them a deposit.
Skipper View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 7:25am
No your right.....the point im making is you need to be careful. Alot if places are booked out and will give rise to more be People being desperate for accommodation and taking chances
Stephen Irelands Superman Jocks!!
AngelGabriel View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngelGabriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 1:33pm
Keep an eye out for accounts that are just recently set up and that have multiple houses with prices too good to be true.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 10:45am
Reading on the Northern Ireland forum that some of their fans are having their bookings cancelled.  Presumably the owners have managed to rent for better money.  Anyone on here caught?

I'm still annoyed over being scammed in Brazil.
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 11:11am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Reading on the Northern Ireland forum that some of their fans are having their bookings cancelled.  Presumably the owners have managed to rent for better money.  Anyone on here caught?

I'm still annoyed over being scammed in Brazil.

Nah, not yet anyway.

If either of them do, they'll be getting a nice brick through their window when I get there tho.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 11:26am
2 places have cancelled on me for Paris. Had to pay a bit more and got something on booking.com. I'm fearing that Bordeaux and Lille might do the same. But I've booked them back in December or January so I'm thinking they would have already done it by now.
The dark side.. And the light
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 11:31am
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

2 places have cancelled on me for Paris. Had to pay a bit more and got something on booking.com. I'm fearing that Bordeaux and Lille might do the same. But I've booked them back in December or January so I'm thinking they would have already done it by now.

A place on Hostelbookers cancelled on me in Amsterdam. Luckily I was able to get sorted elsewhere but the prices had shot through the roof since booking it last December.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
ciara View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ciara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 1:49pm
I booked a small apartment in Montmarte for 3 nights in January. I haven't heard anything from the owner since so emailed him yesterday just to confirm. Anyone know how late a host can wait before they cancel?
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 9:02am
A host can cancel whenever they chose but they will probably face a fine and you will of course be refunded your money,does the place have plenty of reviews?

Edited by Salzburglilly - 08 May 2016 at 9:33am
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
OscarDelta View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OscarDelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

A host can cancel whenever they chose but they will face a fine and you will of course be refunded your money,does the place have plenty of reviews?

Looked at a couple of places in the Suburbs and can confirm that if a place has been cancelled by the host an automatic message to that effect is added to the account.
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 9:41am
Originally posted by OscarDelta OscarDelta wrote:

Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

A host can cancel whenever they chose but they will face a fine and you will of course be refunded your money,does the place have plenty of reviews?

Looked at a couple of places in the Suburbs and can confirm that if a place has been cancelled by the host an automatic message to that effect is added to the account.

As a host i never cancelled but i did have a guest cancel a booking  4 days before the scheduled arrival and as my cancellation policy was "strict" i got 50 % of the payment.

How do host cancellation penalties work?

Cancellations disrupt guests' plans and impact confidence in the Airbnb community. Because of this, we apply the following penalties to host cancellations.

Cancellation fees

Airbnb will automatically deduct any applicable cancellation fees from your next payout. The amount deducted will depend on when you accepted the booking:

Bookings accepted before June 11, 2015 Bookings accepted on/after June 11, 2015
Penalty for cancellation $50 if before 7 days of check-in $75 if before 48 hours of check-in
(not to exceed 75% of initial booking value)
Penalty for short notice cancellation $100 if within 7 days of check-in $150 if within 48 hours of check-in
(not to exceed 100% of initial booking value)
Account suspension No Yes, after 3 cancellations within a year
Free cancellation 1 free cancellation every 6 months No free cancellation

Other penalties

• Automated reviews: An automated review will be posted to your listing's profile indicating that you canceled one of your reservations. These reviews can't be removed, but you can always write a public response to clarify why you needed to cancel.
  • Unavailable/blocked calendar: Your calendar will stay blocked and you won't be able to accept another reservation for the same dates of the canceled reservation.
  • Loss of eligibility for Superhost status: You won't be eligible to earn Superhost status for one year after your most recent cancellation.

Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
CaroG View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaroG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 10:01pm
How does the security deposit work with Air BnB? Am I better avoiding places you have to pay one? Looking at places in centre of Lille but most decent ones have no reviews so should these be avoided?
OscarDelta View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OscarDelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by CaroG CaroG wrote:

How does the security deposit work with Air BnB? Am I better avoiding places you have to pay one? Looking at places in centre of Lille but most decent ones have no reviews so should these be avoided?

No reviews could be just doing it for Euros and they don't get paid until after you 1st night so least there is some protection.
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 11:23pm
Had an apartment cancelled in Lille, airbnb were very good about it. They automatically cancelled all bookings for him for the dates he cancelled on me and it seems other people and offered me a few other places. I emailed them back saying none of them were in the location the original place was (city centre) and the cheapest on offer now was £140 more than I paid for the cancelled apartment, they replied within an hour saying they were giving me a voucher to make up the difference and I booked the new place that had better reviews and is actually a nicer apartment.

In the past, I have used airbnb and hotels, some hotels are better options for some places and airbnbs are better for other, each to their own but Fintan, you seem to think it's just a spare room. You can also get entire apartments or houses so if there's a few of you or you want more space, airbnb's are very good options. Massively cheaper than a hotel in the likes of Dubai or if you just want more space instead of a bedroom in a hotel, airbnb is a great option.

Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 9:16am
Booked mine for Bordeaux back in January, didn't have a whole lot of reviews but got a few messages from her at the time. Nothing since so all ok so far, hopefully its stays that way. €350 for 3 nights between 5 of us, feck all really
Some people just deserve a slap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic