Forum Description: Qatar n' all in anyways
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=53160
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 7:04am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Airbnb Scams
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: Airbnb Scams
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 9:34pm
Heard a few cases of scams on this where you pay for a fictional place or imitating a genuine place and you end up losing your money. I myself have already paid up front 344 euro for a house in Bordeaux for 2 nights. On my credit card bill it does say 'Airbnb' for the amount but still wonder if everything is above board. One reason being that I was sent a request to Jeannie who owned the house and described us as football supporters there for the Euro. I thought it best to be honest but she accepted the request to stay within an hour without issue (too quick?). Just wondering in retrospect was this too good to be true type of thing. Probably being overly paranoid but googled some stories there about the airbanb scams and it's hard to know.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 9:38pm
Its not even "Panic Saturday"  ... Not even the new year & your resolution is being implemented by starting new threads 

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 9:54pm
Does she have any reviews?

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Does she have any reviews?

Yes she has 5 but only has been a member since August 2015. All reviews are by French people.

-------------

Posted By: Hickster74
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 10:14pm
Used it a few times, Trap and I'm sure Airbnb hold the payment in escrow until first night of stay has passed (nice extra earner sitting on that cash I'm sure...). Check the T&Cs.

So I don't see how such a scam would work if the renter lets Airbnb know of a problem, the owner doesn't get paid and you get your money back...I'd be more worried about an owner changing their mind than being ripped off. You might want to change the topic title there, a bit unfair for Airbnb's rep ...

-------------
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 10:29pm
I used it for Wales, the STG exchange plus £6.00 per night to AirBnB was the only negative aspect of the stay.

Do you get the impression of owner occupier in Bordeaux?  I'm sure many residents in different cities will move out altogether and rent their property (sublet) for the duration of that town's involvement.

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 10:33pm
Mine went through similar time & showed up on CC Air BnB with payment taken for 2 nights in Bordeaux . You must be staying in some pad for that cash as mine wasn't near as much & it is quality . You must have alot of friends going with you 

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 10:35pm
I used it in Bordeaux last year and it was perfect - no issues at all. Nothing to do with Bordeaux in particular but just what can happen in any town that hits peak demand. I don't know what the story is if an owner changes their mind later on and tries to gazump people closer to the time. Check T&Cs - hopefully there are penalties if they do that now.

-------------
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."

Posted By: xRedmanLFCx
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 10:43pm
Used it for the first time going to Liverpool last month, told them it was 2 lads over for a soccer match and it was accepted in a matter of minutes. Absolutely no problems, they had loads of reviews before I booked.

Also booked a night in Bordeaux for the night before the match and 2 nights in Lille for the night before and night of the match, both booked in places that have 40+ good reviews. Took 3 efforts at 3 different places to get a place in Lille as I was saying we were over for the soccer but got Bordeaux first time round.

Should be no problems if there are plenty good reviews.

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 11:10pm

Your money is safe with airbnb.

However they fully facilitate the owner cancelling and re-selling at  a higher price. 

I was caught this way last year.  You get a refund and cannot leave feedback.  So Jeannie could be advertising her place again for those 2 nights for 500 euro and then if she gets it she can tell airbnb to refund you. 

Normally this won't happen but with something like the Euros it can.  I was caught in Brazil for the World Cup. 

Now you can't cancel without losing your money.  Hence Jeannie holds all the cards.  Your money is safe but your apartment is not.  She can cancel the day before and just refund you. 

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 11:16pm
Jaysus that's not a great system is it!  I hope Jeannie isn't a cute hoor. Could be left stranded with nowhere to stay if they pull a trick like that.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 11:21pm
Ask Airbnb in case its updated - they'll have to bring in a penalty for that or their business would be undermined. But for peace of mind, it might be an idea to book a place with free cancellation as insurance (a bit out of town probably all that's left with free cancellation at this stage but just as back up). Then get in touch with the Airbnb owner around Easter and again the week before the game to make sure the deal's still on and you can then cancel the out of town place.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

Ask Airbnb in case its updated - they'll have to bring in a penalty for that or their business would be undermined. But for peace of mind, it might be an idea to book a place with free cancellation as insurance (a bit out of town probably all that's left with free cancellation at this stage but just as back up). Then get in touch with the Airbnb owner around Easter and again the week before the game to make sure the deal's still on and you can then cancel the out of town place.

Probably a good idea alright

-------------

Posted By: Ace
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 12:05am
There is already a penalty in place, if they cancel 48 hours before hand on you i think it's 75 quid they owe you, and if less than 48 hours, it's 150 they owe you - there is also an automatic cancellation thing that goes up on the review, which would give he number of days before your arrival if jeannie cancelled. 

i.e. : room cancelled 5 days before arrival etc. 

No air BnB owner would want this, for example if i saw this on a pad, i wouldn't book it. 

FWIW, i have 2 places booked, one in paris for 4 nights (340 total), beside rue oberkampf, and the second in bordeaux for 4 nights (505). I told the lady in Paris that i was going for the match and she said that's ok, just make sure there are no more than 4 of us in the place. 

If you cancel now - it depends on the cancellation policy - if flexible you have up to 24 hour before hand to cancel (i think), and you just lose the service fee to Air bob, if moderate you have up to 5 days before hand with same as above, but i think with strict, you will lose 50% of your booking amount.

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 9:43am
I've just contacted Janinne and offered her 600e for 3 nights. Expect an email Lord Trap
Fine place btw,thanks for doing the spade work 👍

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 4:50pm
Actually airbnb policies stop people cancelling like that and re-letting. It's easily enough got around if you advertise the same place on a different account, admittedly, although that takes a crafty owner, and also one who doesn't mind having half the number of reviews they should have. Plus, if the owner cancels, a note appears on their account advising people of the same.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Actually airbnb policies stop people cancelling like that and re-letting. It's easily enough got around if you advertise the same place on a different account, admittedly, although that takes a crafty owner, and also one who doesn't mind having half the number of reviews they should have. Plus, if the owner cancels, a note appears on their account advising people of the same.

Great, we should be ok so, especially booking places that have 40+ reviews with no automated cancellation messages as part of them.

Posted By: irish boogie
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 7:02pm

I've aready had the guy on looking for more money as he said for the football it was more expensive I bargained with him as it was still good value hopefully that be the end of it, it was done through messaging and when agreed airbnb sent a message to say it was being amended and I had to accept or decline .

-------------
Thank You Torun and Tyskie

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by irish boogie irish boogie wrote:

I've aready had the guy on looking for more money as he said for the football it was more expensive I bargained with him as it was still good value hopefully that be the end of it, it was done through messaging and when agreed airbnb sent a message to say it was being amended and I had to accept or decline .

That's a load of balloxs , if my Air BnB buddy does that to me I'll park in his driveway for the 2 days and head off in to Bordeaux

Posted By: Fintan
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 12:50am
Anyone that books "AirBnb" or uses "Couch surfing" deserves to be scammed.....

you gets your money you pays your bills....act cheap get treat cheap. Buy cheap buy twice.

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 1:29am

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 5:06am
"Pissed surfing" are we..

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

you gets your money you pays your bills....act cheap get treat cheap. Buy cheap buy twice.
What?

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Heard a few cases of scams on this where you pay for a fictional place or imitating a genuine place and you end up losing your money. I myself have already paid up front 344 euro for a house in Bordeaux for 2 nights. On my credit card bill it does say 'Airbnb' for the amount but still wonder if everything is above board. One reason being that I was sent a request to Jeannie who owned the house and described us as football supporters there for the Euro. I thought it best to be honest but she accepted the request to stay within an hour without issue (too quick?). Just wondering in retrospect was this too good to be true type of thing. Probably being overly paranoid but googled some stories there about the airbanb scams and it's hard to know.

JaysusConfused

As an Airbnb host,let me help put your mind at ease,the money that you have lodged is not in the hands of the host,it is held by Airbnb,it will only be sent to the host's account after you spend one night on  the property,so if for example you show up and the property is non existent or not as described on the website, you can notify airbnb and the they will refund your money,she is probably taking a load of bookings and wants to get things sorted so  i wouldn't worry about how fast she accepted your request.

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 1:42pm

Stupid comment of the year

-------------

Posted By: irish boogie
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 9:54pm

Nothing cheap about where I'm staying think you better have a look at Airbnb before making stupid statements like that

-------------
Thank You Torun and Tyskie

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 3:57pm
Airbnb and couch surfing and for people looking to do things as cheaply as possible.

Wouldn't get me anywhere near one as a customer or a 'host'.They are a real threat to many small businesses and the people employed by them.

Crusties trying to make or save a few bob should cop on and think of the food they are taking out of the mouths of hotel owners and their staff......just so they can save a few Euro.

stupid fad

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:03pm
Stupid comment, why should a traditional hotel owner make money but someone providing this form of accommodation not? Should people not take ubers? World's moving on

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:10pm
Ehhh the traditional hotel owner will pay tax and employ people. That's very important for the economy particularly on places like Donegal and Kerry.

I would hazard a guess you are urban and university educated. Fair enough if you want to stay in someone's spare bedroom to save a tenner.

Selfish comment.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:13pm
I would never use an Uber. I have companies i use religiously when i might need a taxi.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:14pm

Ehhh the traditional hotel owner will pay tax and employ people. That's very important for the economy particularly on places like Donegal and Kerry.

I would hazard a guess you are urban and university educated. Fair enough if you want to stay in someone's spare bedroom to save a tenner.

Selfish comment.

Airbnb owners pay tax

Bordeaux I'm paying e250 city centre for three nights for two doubles. A hotel would be at least treble that, why should I pay it?

Vienna, airbnb more expensive than a good four star but the room is bigger, better located and earlier check in and later check out, why should I go for the hotel?

In new York in Sep a good hotel is cheaper than an airbnb so I've gone for that.

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:19pm

Selfish comment.
Spare bedroom to save a tenner? I'm staying in a fully furnished self catering apartment in the centre of Lille for about €100/€150 a night cheaper than a 2 star hotel outside the centre. Place to ourselves, no sharing. No brainer

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:22pm
It is indeed a no brainer but you are replying to someone with a pea for a brain

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:27pm
2 star hotels in Bordeaux are charging €320 for a 1 night stay the night of the Belgium match. Yeah, let's protect the small business owners.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 5:38pm

Selfish comment.

As an Airbnb host i payed tax and hired 2 people Thumbs Up

Not everyone can afford hotels,especially young families,if you don't like it ,that's your choice but you have no right to knock those who do.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 7:05pm
I'm sorry you seem like a sound skin but I do "have a right" to object to AirBnB and the like as it directly affects family members and 1000s and 1000s of people in Ireland.

We'll agree to disagree on this one.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 7:15pm
Do you not believe in online news as it threatens newspapers? Newspapers have had to adapt to survive, not the same threat to hotels at all but they'll have to adapt instead of just blaming airbnb and those who use it

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 7:25pm
Don't worry I fully believe that the hotel and tourism industry will get through this period of private individuals who are si ply on the make.

What happened in Barcelona is an excellent example and hosts who are required to get registered, pay tax and insurance and run a real business will become a justifiable entity

those who throw out a couple of candles and pot puri won't be assed and will stop renting out bedrooms.

As I said before its a fad and like all fads will die.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 7:42pm
People want value for money. The prices for some of the hotels are extortionate.

Have a look at the hotel prices in Bordeaux or Lille.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 8:10pm
AirBnB is great for the consumer ,gives more choice and helps prevent hotels having the huge pricing power they had in the past.The hotels who adapt will survive just like when the online booking sites helped customers get better value by playing hotels/firms off each other.

AirBnB is no fad and its actually a good thing that there is more accountability now than when it started.It will continue to grow as more people come to thrust and recognize it as a legitimate way of booking accommodation.

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 9:01pm

Selfish comment.

You do chat some amount of sh*te. I'm from donegal and would happily sleep in someone's spare bed than pay the prices some hotels up here think they can charge

The only thing air b&b will do to the hotel industry in places like Donegal and killarney is provide them with some competition which should bring the prices down which will benefit the public

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Posted By: Colum
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 9:26pm
What do you think of minimum alcohol pricing, Fintan? Or price fixing? Or free market economics? Healthy competition? Protect the hotel owners, my arse.
I was quoted €200 for a triple room in Lille with a shared bathroom in a f**king hostel for one night. Do I as a customer not have the right to say "No, thanks" and look elsewhere.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 9:40pm
Fintan what are you on about?!

Hotels have ripped people off for years and now cry when someone offers the public a more affordable alternative?
Why should the hotel industry be protected from competition?! If you can't provide a service for a reasonable price you will be priced out of the market and deservedly so! I've zero sympathy for hotels. They are only too happy to charge ridiculously over the odds fees when an event is on in the locality e.g. concerts, matches etc...

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 10:22pm

Don't worry I fully believe that the hotel and tourism industry will get through this period of private individuals who are si ply on the make.

What happened in Barcelona is an excellent example and hosts who are required to get registered, pay tax and insurance and run a real business will become a justifiable entity

those who throw out a couple of candles and pot puri won't be assed and will stop renting out bedrooms.

As I said before its a fad and like all fads will die.

Am i still a fad if i pay tax on my property ?
There is a tax option included in all Airbnb host applications, not everyone refuses to pay tax on what they earn, you have "no right " tar every one with the same brush.

-------------

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 1:10pm
Down with urban university educated types !

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 5:20pm
I think Trapjnr booked through ScareBnB.

Run for the hills TJ, run

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:59pm
Wow!

Posted By: Just saying like
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 7:26am
I use sites like AIRBNB and VRBO regularly and generally find them very satisfactory.  I also use booking.com for hotel bookings and I was shocked to learn recently just how manipulative and anti competitive that site is.  Apparently the prominence of a hotel's listing on booking.con is determined by the rate of commission the hotel pays to them.  When signing up the hotel decides how much commission to pay starting at a minimum 15% and going up to 35% and the higher they go the more prominently their hotel is displayed.  Hotels are precluded from selling direct to the public at prices below the booking.con rates and booking.con regularly make test calls to hotels to see if they are breaking the rules.  So next time you pay €100 to a booking.con hotel be aware that the hotel may only be getting 65% of what you are paying.  

-------------
I don't know what more we can do in terms of being open and transparent - John Delaney

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 7:35am
Fintan clearly owns one of those hotels.

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Just saying like Just saying like wrote:

I use sites like AIRBNB and VRBO regularly and generally find them very
satisfactory.  I also use booking.com for hotel bookings and I was
shocked to learn recently just how manipulative and anti competitive
that site is.  Apparently the prominence of a hotel's listing on
booking.con is determined by the rate of commission the hotel pays to
them.  When signing up the hotel decides how much commission to pay
starting at a minimum 15% and going up to 35% and the higher they go the
more prominently their hotel is displayed.  Hotels are precluded from
selling direct to the public at prices below the booking.con rates and
booking.con regularly make test calls to hotels to see if they are
breaking the rules.  So next time you pay €100 to a booking.con hotel be
aware that the hotel may only be getting 65% of what you are paying.  
jaysus!...although they are head and shoulders better than hotels.con where its a nightmare trying to get a deposit back from a 'free cancellation' hotel booking. I've been emailing back and forth for the past two months trying to get €520 back. at least with booking.con it took one phone call and money was back on my card in 24 hours.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:13am
[QUOTE=Salzburglilly] Fintan clearly owns one of those hotels.
[/QUOTE

DAY 5......of the witch hunt and abuse for having a ddifferent opinion and outlook to tthe great and good of YBIG. Nice. Great bunch of lads altogether.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:30am
LOL

-------------

Posted By: Just saying like
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 9:08am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

jaysus!...although they are head and shoulders better than hotels.con where its a nightmare trying to get a deposit back from a 'free cancellation' hotel booking. I've been emailing back and forth for the past two months trying to get €520 back. at least with booking.con it took one phone call and money was back on my card in 24 hours.

As far as I know booking.con doesn't generally take deposits on free cancellation bookings.  In fact as far as I know they never take any money direct from the customer.  You pay the hotel in full and booking.con sends the hotel an invoice for it's commission.  This way you, the customer, never find out that booking.con is ripping you off by taking up to 35% of what you pay.

-------------
I don't know what more we can do in terms of being open and transparent - John Delaney

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:17am

[/QUOTE

DAY 5......of the witch hunt and abuse for having a ddifferent opinion and outlook to tthe great and good of YBIG. Nice. Great bunch of lads altogether.

Ever so slightly over dramatic

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Colum
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 1:53pm

[/QUOTE

Persecution complex much? You had a rant at people for trying to save money. Everyone is allowed a different opinion (even if yours is a load of sh*t). Statements like anyone using AirBnB deserves to be ripped off and my personal favourite "Crusties trying to make or save a few bob should cop on and think of the food they are taking out of the mouths of hotel owners and their staff......just so they can save a few Euro.
" aren't going to endear you to anyone. It seems you're the one intolerant of anyone doing anything differently.

So where have you booked and what ave you paid?

Posted By: bannerboy95
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 1:58pm
I have booked air bnb for both of the bordeaux and lille games I am staying in bordeaux for 5 nights and got that for around 467 euro full apartment for the 3 of us and then for lille we have an apartment in the city centre for 2 nights for around 200 euro I would hope that none of these scam stories are true

Posted By: Skipper
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:16pm
one of the scams I see are places for rent in say Italy/Spain etc when you contact them to rent they will say they are the owner and are abroad at the moment in another country but they have a leasing company to handle the property and give you a number for them usually in another country again....this leasing company (fake) need a deposit of 1k€ and to save administration fees etc it's best to use western union etc and you guessed it you just sent money to some scammer

They even have websites set up for these fake leasing agents

Here is a FAKE one based on a real Irish company
http://www.ceppip.com/services.html (safe to open just don't contact them note the address is in Ireland but they are all UK details elseware)

Here is the real Irish estate agent they copied: http://www.castles.ie (again note the address)

IF IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBABLY IS........GET A SECOND OPINION OR LOOK INTO THE PROPERTY .....AIRBNB has ratings use them like you use eBay ratings

-------------
Stephen Irelands Superman Jocks!!

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 1:16am
Skipper that is completely different to Airbnb .You don't pay anything to the owner up front nor give them a deposit.

Posted By: Skipper
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 7:25am
No your right.....the point im making is you need to be careful. Alot if places are booked out and will give rise to more be People being desperate for accommodation and taking chances

-------------
Stephen Irelands Superman Jocks!!

Posted By: AngelGabriel
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 1:33pm
Keep an eye out for accounts that are just recently set up and that have multiple houses with prices too good to be true.

Date Posted: 07 May 2016 at 10:45am
Reading on the Northern Ireland forum that some of their fans are having their bookings cancelled.  Presumably the owners have managed to rent for better money.  Anyone on here caught?

I'm still annoyed over being scammed in Brazil.

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 07 May 2016 at 11:11am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Reading on the Northern Ireland forum that some of their fans are having their bookings cancelled.  Presumably the owners have managed to rent for better money.  Anyone on here caught?

I'm still annoyed over being scammed in Brazil.

Nah, not yet anyway.

If either of them do, they'll be getting a nice brick through their window when I get there tho.

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 07 May 2016 at 11:26am
2 places have cancelled on me for Paris. Had to pay a bit more and got something on booking.com. I'm fearing that Bordeaux and Lille might do the same. But I've booked them back in December or January so I'm thinking they would have already done it by now.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Date Posted: 07 May 2016 at 11:31am
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

2 places have cancelled on me for Paris. Had to pay a bit more and got something on booking.com. I'm fearing that Bordeaux and Lille might do the same. But I've booked them back in December or January so I'm thinking they would have already done it by now.

A place on Hostelbookers cancelled on me in Amsterdam. Luckily I was able to get sorted elsewhere but the prices had shot through the roof since booking it last December.

-------------

Posted By: ciara
Date Posted: 07 May 2016 at 1:49pm
I booked a small apartment in Montmarte for 3 nights in January. I haven't heard anything from the owner since so emailed him yesterday just to confirm. Anyone know how late a host can wait before they cancel?

Date Posted: 08 May 2016 at 9:02am
A host can cancel whenever they chose but they will probably face a fine and you will of course be refunded your money,does the place have plenty of reviews?

-------------

Posted By: OscarDelta
Date Posted: 08 May 2016 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

A host can cancel whenever they chose but they will face a fine and you will of course be refunded your money,does the place have plenty of reviews?

Looked at a couple of places in the Suburbs and can confirm that if a place has been cancelled by the host an automatic message to that effect is added to the account.

Date Posted: 08 May 2016 at 9:41am
Originally posted by OscarDelta OscarDelta wrote:

Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

A host can cancel whenever they chose but they will face a fine and you will of course be refunded your money,does the place have plenty of reviews?

Looked at a couple of places in the Suburbs and can confirm that if a place has been cancelled by the host an automatic message to that effect is added to the account.

As a host i never cancelled but i did have a guest cancel a booking  4 days before the scheduled arrival and as my cancellation policy was "strict" i got 50 % of the payment.

How do host cancellation penalties work?

Cancellations disrupt guests' plans and impact confidence in the Airbnb community. Because of this, we apply the following penalties to host cancellations.

Cancellation fees

Airbnb will automatically deduct any applicable cancellation fees from your next payout. The amount deducted will depend on when you accepted the booking:

Bookings accepted before June 11, 2015 Bookings accepted on/after June 11, 2015
Penalty for cancellation $50 if before 7 days of check-in $75 if before 48 hours of check-in
(not to exceed 75% of initial booking value)
Penalty for short notice cancellation $100 if within 7 days of check-in $150 if within 48 hours of check-in
(not to exceed 100% of initial booking value)
Account suspension No Yes, after 3 cancellations within a year
Free cancellation 1 free cancellation every 6 months No free cancellation

Other penalties

• Automated reviews: An automated review will be posted to your listing's profile indicating that you canceled one of your reservations. These reviews can't be removed, but you can always https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/367/" rel="nofollow - write a public response to clarify why you needed to cancel.
  • Unavailable/blocked calendar: Your calendar will stay blocked and you won't be able to accept another reservation for the same dates of the canceled reservation.
  • Loss of eligibility for Superhost status: You won't be eligible to earn https://www.airbnb.ie/support/article/828" rel="nofollow - Superhost status for one year after your most recent cancellation.

-------------

Posted By: CaroG
Date Posted: 08 May 2016 at 10:01pm
How does the security deposit work with Air BnB? Am I better avoiding places you have to pay one? Looking at places in centre of Lille but most decent ones have no reviews so should these be avoided?

Posted By: OscarDelta
Date Posted: 08 May 2016 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by CaroG CaroG wrote:

How does the security deposit work with Air BnB? Am I better avoiding places you have to pay one? Looking at places in centre of Lille but most decent ones have no reviews so should these be avoided?

No reviews could be just doing it for Euros and they don't get paid until after you 1st night so least there is some protection.

Posted By: seaniemac
Date Posted: 08 May 2016 at 11:23pm
Had an apartment cancelled in Lille, airbnb were very good about it. They automatically cancelled all bookings for him for the dates he cancelled on me and it seems other people and offered me a few other places. I emailed them back saying none of them were in the location the original place was (city centre) and the cheapest on offer now was £140 more than I paid for the cancelled apartment, they replied within an hour saying they were giving me a voucher to make up the difference and I booked the new place that had better reviews and is actually a nicer apartment.

In the past, I have used airbnb and hotels, some hotels are better options for some places and airbnbs are better for other, each to their own but Fintan, you seem to think it's just a spare room. You can also get entire apartments or houses so if there's a few of you or you want more space, airbnb's are very good options. Massively cheaper than a hotel in the likes of Dubai or if you just want more space instead of a bedroom in a hotel, airbnb is a great option.

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 9:16am
Booked mine for Bordeaux back in January, didn't have a whole lot of reviews but got a few messages from her at the time. Nothing since so all ok so far, hopefully its stays that way. €350 for 3 nights between 5 of us, feck all really

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Posted By: ColG
Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:21am
Booked mine for Paris (Montmarte) in January. Only 2 reviews but haven't heard from her since! Fingers crossed all goes smoothly!

Posted By: miece
Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:56am
same, booked in montmarte. booked in march with 3 reviews. haven't heard a word since the day of booking

Posted By: BrenC
Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 1:35pm
I'm booked in an airbnb for the night of the Belgium game in Bordeaux.   Only realised it says 2 pm check in time which obviously wont work with a 3 pm kick off.  Emailed looking to move it forward but haven't heard back.  hopefully it works out

-------------
Team Emmet

Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 2:32pm
Some of them have late check in's. Some are around 6pm.

I've booked Bordeaux and Lille in an AirBnB.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: McNulty
Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 2:58pm
Lads I wouldn't be getting worried about your Airbnb bookings. I host in London and have used it for a couple of years in various Cities. Have booked Paris and Bordeaux. Never had an issue with a guest or when travelling.

The last thing a host wants is to have one of those 'host cancelled booking' messages on their page. So if you've booked with someone who isn't just using it to cash in on Euros (has previous reviews) you should be fine. And as Seaniemac pointed out Airbnb will do their best to accommodate you if you are let down. If you are worried about check in times just message your host and work something out that suits you both.

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 3:53pm
Agree with most of the comments on here. Airbnb is safe.

Airbnb gives you similar comfort as a hotel... you may on occasion get told the booking is now cancelled but that could happen at a hotel and is bad news for them if you provide online feedback.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:17pm
My worry is I arrive over in Paris try contact the person and hear nothing. Then I'm stuck in Paris with nowhere to stay! That's the main worry. Anyone ever heard of this happening?

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by ColG ColG wrote:

My worry is I arrive over in Paris try contact the person and hear nothing. Then I'm stuck in Paris with nowhere to stay! That's the main worry. Anyone ever heard of this happening?

Having watched pulp fiction again last night, if I was you lot id be more worried that the person would show up and bring out the gimp

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: randyrandolph
Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:27pm
Thumbs Up yep cant go too wrong with airbnb. Used them for a few years now and no problems. If you're a group of lads you'll probably have more issues as lets face it, who wants to rent their place out to a group of lads on the p1ss... when you send a message with your booking perhaps say you are in town with family... 

Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

[QUOTE=ColG]My worry is I arrive over in Paris try contact the person and hear nothing. Then I'm stuck in Paris with nowhere to stay! That's the main worry. Anyone ever heard of this happening?

You have the address and contact details of your host. You can either message them through Airbnb or on their phone. Closer to time ask them for directions to their place. They should be helpful- they want a good review from you! Plus they would not get paid from Airbnb if they did leave you high and dry. So why would they risk their reputation for no financial gain..

Mods - could you remove the word Scams from thread title? I haven't read every post but most posts are positive about Airbnb. Trap Junior created the thread but as far as I know he was not scammed by Airbnb

Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

Originally posted by ColG ColG wrote:

Having watched pulp fiction again last night, if I was you lot id be more worried that the person would show up and bring out the gimp

Posted By: CaroG
Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:49pm
Places which require security deposit, is it taken from your card when you book? A lot of places seem to be looking for security deposit

Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by CaroG CaroG wrote:

Places which require security deposit, is it taken from your card when you book? A lot of places seem to be looking for security deposit

I think so yes. Airbnb would hold onto it until your stay is complete. Security deposits wouldn't be the norm usually but Im guessing because they are expecting football fans some have included it.

Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 7:36pm
Your money is definitely safe with airbnb but your booking is not.  The "scam" is that owners can continue to list their property in the run up to the tournament at  a higher price and then cancel the original booking.   

Of course they are just renting their "neighbour's apartment" and just as their neighbour rents theirs for 100% more then they have to cancel their own booking.  

It is good to read they improved the terms for customers last year.  Definitely take the advice to book those with plenty of reviews.

Also a customer must pay up front and loses their money if they cancel.

For tournaments I think free cancellation on booking.com is a better option.  Hotels cannot cancel without serious consequences.  I am probably paying more than airbnb customers for this tournament but prefer to peace of mind.    

Posted By: JH91
Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 8:45pm
Story with the security deposits?
Will they take it out of my account  prior to arrival or should they already have done it by now. 
I booked and paid a few months back. 

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by BrenC BrenC wrote:

I'm booked in an airbnb for the night of the Belgium game in Bordeaux.   Only realised it says 2 pm check in time which obviously wont work with a 3 pm kick off.  Emailed looking to move it forward but haven't heard back.  hopefully it works out

I'm sure there are lockers or left luggage rooms at the train or bus station that you can drop off your bags before the match.  Then collect them afterwards and check into your accommodation before heading into town and enjoying the night.

Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by JH91 JH91 wrote:

Will they take it out of my account  prior to arrival or should they already have done it by now. 

What security deposits?
I think you pay the full whack up front, that money gets held by AirBnB until you stay there and then release the money to the host.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

What security deposits?
I think you pay the full whack up front, that money gets held by AirBnB until you stay there and then release the money to the host.

Thats it and if any host asks for a deposit or cleaning fee when you arrive tell them to get f**ked.AirBnB do all that and you pay host nothing.

Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

Thumbs Up yep cant go too wrong with airbnb. Used them for a few years now and no problems. If you're a group of lads you'll probably have more issues as lets face it, who wants to rent their place out to a group of lads on the p1ss... when you send a message with your booking perhaps say you are in town with family... 

We had this discussion before and it was agreed honesty is the best policy. Put yourself in their shoes, this is their house. You would want to know who is coming to stay with you for a few nights, so they will as well. I was straight up and told our ages and the purpose of our visit and got Bordeaux 1st time around and Lille on 3rd attempt. Both have numerous good reviews. Have used airbnb before when staying in Liverpool, great service.

-------------
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON

Date Posted: 10 May 2016 at 1:59am

What security deposits?

It says on the site that there is a 1,000 quid security deposit.
Never took it off me when booking.

Date Posted: 10 May 2016 at 8:49am

What security deposits?

It says on the site that there is a 1,000 quid security deposit.
Never took it off me when booking.

?? Says nothing on my booking about any security deposit?

Posted By: Brian_CCFC
Date Posted: 10 May 2016 at 8:52am
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

We had this discussion before and it was agreed honesty is the best policy. Put yourself in their shoes, this is their house. You would want to know who is coming to stay with you for a few nights, so they will as well. I was straight up and told our ages and the purpose of our visit and got Bordeaux 1st time around and Lille on 3rd attempt. Both have numerous good reviews. Have used airbnb before when staying in Liverpool, great service.

Agreed. I told our host that we were 5 lads coming over for Ireland and Belgium. She said it was no problem but no parties or our we will lose our deposit. I think that's fair enough. Better off being honest anyway. 

-------------
Je vais en France!

Posted By: miece
Date Posted: 10 May 2016 at 9:24am
the security deposit thing works that in the event of you wrecking the gaff then the host can claim up to the amount of the security deposit to cover costs. if all is well then nothing is taken from the security deposit. all that is taken is the when the booking is made is the amount for the duration of that stay

Date Posted: 10 May 2016 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by miece miece wrote:

the security deposit thing works that in the event of you wrecking the gaff then the host can claim up to the amount of the security deposit to cover costs. if all is well then nothing is taken from the security deposit. all that is taken is the when the booking is made is the amount for the duration of that stay

Yea, I see that now.
I presumed Airbnb would hold the deposit and then return it after the stay.
Whats to stop someone from wrecking the gaff then just cancelling their card when they leave.

Posted By: Brian_CCFC
Date Posted: 10 May 2016 at 12:33pm
I was told our deposit would be taken after our stay if there was anything wrong with the house.. But as mentioned above, anyone can change their card details between time of booking and time of stay so I don't know how that works. 

-------------
Je vais en France!

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:32am
Always check the reviews before booking a place,if it has bad reviews or no reviews,avoid it!

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 7:41pm
First time using this.

Still pending on a reservation request. Can you apply for a few at the same time until the first one accepts and book that or could you be charged for all the reservations you applied for?

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

First time using this.

Still pending on a reservation request. Can you apply for a few at the same time until the first one accepts and book that or could you be charged for all the reservations you applied for?

Use the 'Contact Host' option ( you'll see it a good bit down the listing page by the hosts profile) to message any host you might book with, you won't need to enter payment details unless you want to complete the reservation

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net