You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Airbnb Scams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airbnb Scams
    Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 9:34pm
Heard a few cases of scams on this where you pay for a fictional place or imitating a genuine place and you end up losing your money. I myself have already paid up front 344 euro for a house in Bordeaux for 2 nights. On my credit card bill it does say 'Airbnb' for the amount but still wonder if everything is above board. One reason being that I was sent a request to Jeannie who owned the house and described us as football supporters there for the Euro. I thought it best to be honest but she accepted the request to stay within an hour without issue (too quick?). Just wondering in retrospect was this too good to be true type of thing. Probably being overly paranoid but googled some stories there about the airbanb scams and it's hard to know.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 9:38pm
Its not even "Panic Saturday"  ... Not even the new year & your resolution is being implemented by starting new threads 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 9:54pm
Does she have any reviews?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Does she have any reviews?

Yes she has 5 but only has been a member since August 2015. All reviews are by French people.

Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 10:14pm
Used it a few times, Trap and I'm sure Airbnb hold the payment in escrow until first night of stay has passed (nice extra earner sitting on that cash I'm sure...). Check the T&Cs.

So I don't see how such a scam would work if the renter lets Airbnb know of a problem, the owner doesn't get paid and you get your money back...I'd be more worried about an owner changing their mind than being ripped off. You might want to change the topic title there, a bit unfair for Airbnb's rep ...
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 10:29pm
I used it for Wales, the STG exchange plus £6.00 per night to AirBnB was the only negative aspect of the stay.

Do you get the impression of owner occupier in Bordeaux?  I'm sure many residents in different cities will move out altogether and rent their property (sublet) for the duration of that town's involvement.
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 10:33pm
Mine went through similar time & showed up on CC Air BnB with payment taken for 2 nights in Bordeaux . You must be staying in some pad for that cash as mine wasn't near as much & it is quality . You must have alot of friends going with you 
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 10:35pm
I used it in Bordeaux last year and it was perfect - no issues at all. Nothing to do with Bordeaux in particular but just what can happen in any town that hits peak demand. I don't know what the story is if an owner changes their mind later on and tries to gazump people closer to the time. Check T&Cs - hopefully there are penalties if they do that now.

Edited by Hickster74 - 30 Dec 2015 at 11:01pm
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 10:43pm
Used it for the first time going to Liverpool last month, told them it was 2 lads over for a soccer match and it was accepted in a matter of minutes. Absolutely no problems, they had loads of reviews before I booked.

Also booked a night in Bordeaux for the night before the match and 2 nights in Lille for the night before and night of the match, both booked in places that have 40+ good reviews. Took 3 efforts at 3 different places to get a place in Lille as I was saying we were over for the soccer but got Bordeaux first time round.

Should be no problems if there are plenty good reviews.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 11:10pm

Your money is safe with airbnb.

However they fully facilitate the owner cancelling and re-selling at  a higher price. 

I was caught this way last year.  You get a refund and cannot leave feedback.  So Jeannie could be advertising her place again for those 2 nights for 500 euro and then if she gets it she can tell airbnb to refund you. 

Normally this won't happen but with something like the Euros it can.  I was caught in Brazil for the World Cup. 

Now you can't cancel without losing your money.  Hence Jeannie holds all the cards.  Your money is safe but your apartment is not.  She can cancel the day before and just refund you. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 11:16pm
Jaysus that's not a great system is it!  I hope Jeannie isn't a cute hoor. Could be left stranded with nowhere to stay if they pull a trick like that.

Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 11:21pm
Ask Airbnb in case its updated - they'll have to bring in a penalty for that or their business would be undermined. But for peace of mind, it might be an idea to book a place with free cancellation as insurance (a bit out of town probably all that's left with free cancellation at this stage but just as back up). Then get in touch with the Airbnb owner around Easter and again the week before the game to make sure the deal's still on and you can then cancel the out of town place.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

Ask Airbnb in case its updated - they'll have to bring in a penalty for that or their business would be undermined. But for peace of mind, it might be an idea to book a place with free cancellation as insurance (a bit out of town probably all that's left with free cancellation at this stage but just as back up). Then get in touch with the Airbnb owner around Easter and again the week before the game to make sure the deal's still on and you can then cancel the out of town place.

Probably a good idea alright

Ace View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 12:05am
There is already a penalty in place, if they cancel 48 hours before hand on you i think it's 75 quid they owe you, and if less than 48 hours, it's 150 they owe you - there is also an automatic cancellation thing that goes up on the review, which would give he number of days before your arrival if jeannie cancelled. 

i.e. : room cancelled 5 days before arrival etc. 

No air BnB owner would want this, for example if i saw this on a pad, i wouldn't book it. 

FWIW, i have 2 places booked, one in paris for 4 nights (340 total), beside rue oberkampf, and the second in bordeaux for 4 nights (505). I told the lady in Paris that i was going for the match and she said that's ok, just make sure there are no more than 4 of us in the place. 

If you cancel now - it depends on the cancellation policy - if flexible you have up to 24 hour before hand to cancel (i think), and you just lose the service fee to Air bob, if moderate you have up to 5 days before hand with same as above, but i think with strict, you will lose 50% of your booking amount.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 9:43am
I've just contacted Janinne and offered her 600e for 3 nights. Expect an email Lord Trap
Fine place btw,thanks for doing the spade work 👍
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 4:50pm
Actually airbnb policies stop people cancelling like that and re-letting. It's easily enough got around if you advertise the same place on a different account, admittedly, although that takes a crafty owner, and also one who doesn't mind having half the number of reviews they should have. Plus, if the owner cancels, a note appears on their account advising people of the same.
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Actually airbnb policies stop people cancelling like that and re-letting. It's easily enough got around if you advertise the same place on a different account, admittedly, although that takes a crafty owner, and also one who doesn't mind having half the number of reviews they should have. Plus, if the owner cancels, a note appears on their account advising people of the same.

Great, we should be ok so, especially booking places that have 40+ reviews with no automated cancellation messages as part of them.
irish boogie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish boogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I've aready had the guy on looking for more money as he said for the football it was more expensive I bargained with him as it was still good value hopefully that be the end of it, it was done through messaging and when agreed airbnb sent a message to say it was being amended and I had to accept or decline .
Thank You Torun and Tyskie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic