You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ROI v Belgium, Bordeaux, General Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ROI v Belgium, Bordeaux, General Thread
    Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 2:52pm
General discussion and sh*te talk about Bordeaux trip to go in this thread.

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Sponsored Links

Kenny Powers View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny Powers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 3:08pm
From some research it looks like the stadium is about 6 or 7 km's outside the city centre. There isn't too much out by the stadium in terms of bars but it is served by 2 different trams lines from the city centre. 
I would expect a similar scenario to Poznan. Great craic going out in the tram to the game and then a massive walk after the game because I won't be bothered queuing for the tram with 42,000 others. 

The main area for boozing seems to be in around streets near the Place de la Victoire. 
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 8:36pm
I'm delighted we got Bordeaux - I lived there for a year (20 yrs ago...) and an amazing year it was. I went back for a weekend last year and a sound lad from Cork who was barman in the Wild Geese (now closed) 20 yrs ago is now managing the Blarney Stone. We still recognised each other after 20 yrs..

Some quick things that spring to mind.

The main area for bars is further down from Place de la Victoire (not the best place itself, loved by dealers at night..). It's where what we called the weekenders used to stay and go home with no idea.

Leave there, move down rue Sainte Catherine, its many cross streets have great pubs (Blarney Stone is on Cours Victor Hugo). Moving on from there you until you reach place de la comedie, you pass many beautiful smaller squares such as Place du Parlement. Near Place Gambetta is another long standing Irish pub called the Connemara run by a Belfastman, all channels and screens there.

On either side of rue saint Catherine, you find small old town streets with many hidden gems of bars and restaurants. One such place is the Black Velvet Bar, a genuine irish pub, relaxed with great staff and pool table.

The quays of the river used to be well dodgy 20 yrs ago but have been modernised hugely and now you find many of the biggest clubs there. For me though, one of the best parts of a night in Bordeaux has always been finding small clubs, many underground and hidden where you find amazing music and characters..

There is a great public garden for chilling out during the day in the sun. Otherwise many daytrips from the station are just an hour away, like Arcachon (dune du pilot, boat trip but not much else), Lacanau (top surf spot) are within an hour.

Stay somewhere from Victoire down to Comedie or from Victoire to train station (cheaper and still walking distance to where you want to be). Some places don't seem to be on booking.com etc. so you'll need to Google old style and ask direct. The Bordelais wouldn't like foreign middle men... I got onto a hostel I stayed in back in the 90s and we got sorted for €24 a night, but last free places they had.

Going to head straight there the day after Paris and stay until Lille.
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 9:30pm
^ Great post
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

I'm delighted we got Bordeaux - I lived there for a year (20 yrs ago...) and an amazing year it was. I went back for a weekend last year and a sound lad from Cork who was barman in the Wild Geese (now closed) 20 yrs ago is now managing the Blarney Stone. We still recognised each other after 20 yrs..

The main area for bars is further down from Place de la Victoire (not the best place itself, loved by dealers at night..). It's where what we called the weekenders used to stay and go home with no idea.

Leave there, move down rue Sainte Catherine, its many cross streets have great pubs (Blarney Stone is on Cours Victor Hugo). Moving on from there you until you reach place de la comedie, you pass many beautiful smaller squares such as Place du Parlement. Near Place Gambetta is another long standing Irish pub called the Connemara run by a Belfastman, all channels and screens there.

On either side of rue saint Catherine, you find small old town streets with many hidden gems of bars and restaurants. One such place is the Black Velvet Bar, a genuine irish pub, relaxed with great staff and pool table.

The quays of the river used to be well dodgy 20 yrs ago but have been modernised hugely and now you find many of the biggest clubs there. For me though, one of the best parts of a night in Bordeaux has always been finding small clubs, many underground and hidden where you find amazing music and characters..

There is a great public garden for chilling out during the day in the sun. Otherwise many daytrips from the station are just an hour away, like Arcachon (dune du pilot, boat trip but not much else), Lacanau (top surf spot) are within an hour.

Stay somewhere from Victoire down to Comedie or from Victoire to train station (cheaper and still walking distance to where you want to be). Some places don't seem to be on booking.com etc. so you'll need to Google old style and ask direct. The Bordelais wouldn't like foreign middle men... I got onto a hostel I stayed in back in the 90s and we got sorted for €24 a night, but last free places they had.

Goodness now maybe showing my age but the last time I was in Bordeaux was 36 years ago . Hummm I wonder if it has changed much LOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 9:04am
There's a lot of travel involved in this trip so I'm happy to be spending 6 nights in Bordeaux.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

Guess where everyone will be heading with bags of cans LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 11:05am
Hickster74,

A lot of people have provisionally booked La Rochelle and Arcachon for 4/5 days and are avoiding Bordeaux.

Any thoughts on this? - any other recommendations.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Hickster74,

A lot of people have provisionally booked La Rochelle and Arcachon for 4/5 days and are avoiding Bordeaux.

Any thoughts on this? - any other recommendations.

It really depends on what people want, HB. I don't want to get into a my place is better than yours thing because everyone will have their own idea of what they're after. But in general, you should think about:

La Rochelle is a beautiful town and has some great beaches and places to visit closeby. You need to realise that its a town of just 80,000 so your options going out will be very limited in particular week nights. Small towns in France are generally not the most accommodating and stick to their schedule. Again, it depends what you're after. The average temperature there in June is 18C and its on the Atlantic of course so there's a chance the beach part won't pay off either.

Arcachon is a nice place and must-sees are the Dune du Pilat and a boat trip in the Bassin d'Arcachon. The beach there is average and the town itself is pretty non-descript really with little night life that I could see to keep someone who likes to party going. If you want to go from there to Bordeaux for the night, you'll be going home before anything kicks off as the last train back to Archachin is around 10pm, taxi would be very expensive as its 65km. It would be very relaxing for anyone wanting a break from the madness though.

Bordeaux is a big town with many things to see, great night-life with many options to vary things over a few nights. Numerous day-trips are possible.

Everyone will have there own mission for their trip but, personally, I don't understand staying far away from a match day venue and not staying there at all, at least for a couple of nights. Unless its a complete dump, which definitely isn't the case with Bordeaux.

I'm staying for the week in the town because I know it and want to discover more thats changed since I lived there. I'll be doing daytrips a few of days, probably to Arcachon, Lacanau and Saint-Emilion (all less than an hour away) and then be back amongst it at night. Some might want to stay totally away and relax by the sea, others might want to try to recreate a town of lore and stay away from the venue altogether except for an hour before the match. Others will stay in Bordeaux for a few days and also chill out somewhere else for a couple of days before or after. Each to their own really.

"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 1:49pm
Fair play Hickster. I reckon we will just go to Bordeaux from 13th - 19th Thumbs Up

The more I think about it staying in a surrounding town could end up be a pain in the hole!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

Fair play Hickster. I reckon we will just go to Bordeaux from 13th - 19th Thumbs Up

The more I think about it staying in a surrounding town could end up be a pain in the hole!

Could do a day trip but from experience it will be get up start drinking until they drop.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
irish boogie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish boogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 4:12pm
Options for accomadation in Bordeux aren't great at this stage .
Thank You Torun and Tyskie
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by irish boogie irish boogie wrote:

Options for accomadation in Bordeux aren't great at this stage .

Wouldn't say that - Still places on Air BNB and if you look away from booking.com, there are places to be had.

Tyronebhoy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

There's a lot of travel involved in this trip so I'm happy to be spending 6 nights in Bordeaux.

Aye, touched lucky myself re the draw. Booked apartment in city centre ages ago so there for the fortnight bar one night in Paris and two Lille
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Tyronebhoy Tyronebhoy wrote:

Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Aye, touched lucky myself re the draw. Booked apartment in city centre ages ago so there for the fortnight bar one night in Paris and two Lille

Got the ibis budget. Looks grand.
LeedsLad95 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeedsLad95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 11:55pm
Hickster,have just booked an Airbnb in the Saint Genes neighbourhood,about 3 mins from place de victorie. Have I gone too far away from the main clubs and pubs and will it mean that the safest way home every night will be a taxi ? 
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 8:06am
Originally posted by LeedsLad95 LeedsLad95 wrote:

Hickster,have just booked an Airbnb in the Saint Genes neighbourhood,about 3 mins from place de victorie. Have I gone too far away from the main clubs and pubs and will it mean that the safest way home every night will be a taxi ? 

You'll be fine there and not too far to walk.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 8:29am
Booked the quick palace hotel artigues. On the edge of the city. Circa 40mins on the tram to city centre and roughly 20mins in a red eye taxi. €240 between 4 for two nights

Edited by colemanY2K - 16 Dec 2015 at 8:55am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
  Share Topic