Forum Description: Qatar n' all in anyways
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=53074
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 10:17pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ROI v Belgium, Bordeaux, General Thread
Posted By: rolo
Subject: ROI v Belgium, Bordeaux, General Thread
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 2:52pm
General discussion and sh*te talk about Bordeaux trip to go in this thread.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Replies:
Posted By: Kenny Powers
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 3:08pm
From some research it looks like the stadium is about 6 or 7 km's outside the city centre. There isn't too much out by the stadium in terms of bars but it is served by 2 different trams lines from the city centre. 
I would expect a similar scenario to Poznan. Great craic going out in the tram to the game and then a massive walk after the game because I won't be bothered queuing for the tram with 42,000 others. 

The main area for boozing seems to be in around streets near the Place de la Victoire. 

Posted By: Hickster74
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 8:36pm
I'm delighted we got Bordeaux - I lived there for a year (20 yrs ago...) and an amazing year it was. I went back for a weekend last year and a sound lad from Cork who was barman in the Wild Geese (now closed) 20 yrs ago is now managing the Blarney Stone. We still recognised each other after 20 yrs..

Some quick things that spring to mind.

The main area for bars is further down from Place de la Victoire (not the best place itself, loved by dealers at night..). It's where what we called the weekenders used to stay and go home with no idea.

Leave there, move down rue Sainte Catherine, its many cross streets have great pubs (Blarney Stone is on Cours Victor Hugo). Moving on from there you until you reach place de la comedie, you pass many beautiful smaller squares such as Place du Parlement. Near Place Gambetta is another long standing Irish pub called the Connemara run by a Belfastman, all channels and screens there.

On either side of rue saint Catherine, you find small old town streets with many hidden gems of bars and restaurants. One such place is the Black Velvet Bar, a genuine irish pub, relaxed with great staff and pool table.

The quays of the river used to be well dodgy 20 yrs ago but have been modernised hugely and now you find many of the biggest clubs there. For me though, one of the best parts of a night in Bordeaux has always been finding small clubs, many underground and hidden where you find amazing music and characters..

There is a great public garden for chilling out during the day in the sun. Otherwise many daytrips from the station are just an hour away, like Arcachon (dune du pilot, boat trip but not much else), Lacanau (top surf spot) are within an hour.

Stay somewhere from Victoire down to Comedie or from Victoire to train station (cheaper and still walking distance to where you want to be). Some places don't seem to be on booking.com etc. so you'll need to Google old style and ask direct. The Bordelais wouldn't like foreign middle men... I got onto a hostel I stayed in back in the 90s and we got sorted for €24 a night, but last free places they had.

Going to head straight there the day after Paris and stay until Lille.

-------------
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 9:30pm
^ Great post

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

I'm delighted we got Bordeaux - I lived there for a year (20 yrs ago...) and an amazing year it was. I went back for a weekend last year and a sound lad from Cork who was barman in the Wild Geese (now closed) 20 yrs ago is now managing the Blarney Stone. We still recognised each other after 20 yrs..

The main area for bars is further down from Place de la Victoire (not the best place itself, loved by dealers at night..). It's where what we called the weekenders used to stay and go home with no idea.

Leave there, move down rue Sainte Catherine, its many cross streets have great pubs (Blarney Stone is on Cours Victor Hugo). Moving on from there you until you reach place de la comedie, you pass many beautiful smaller squares such as Place du Parlement. Near Place Gambetta is another long standing Irish pub called the Connemara run by a Belfastman, all channels and screens there.

On either side of rue saint Catherine, you find small old town streets with many hidden gems of bars and restaurants. One such place is the Black Velvet Bar, a genuine irish pub, relaxed with great staff and pool table.

The quays of the river used to be well dodgy 20 yrs ago but have been modernised hugely and now you find many of the biggest clubs there. For me though, one of the best parts of a night in Bordeaux has always been finding small clubs, many underground and hidden where you find amazing music and characters..

There is a great public garden for chilling out during the day in the sun. Otherwise many daytrips from the station are just an hour away, like Arcachon (dune du pilot, boat trip but not much else), Lacanau (top surf spot) are within an hour.

Stay somewhere from Victoire down to Comedie or from Victoire to train station (cheaper and still walking distance to where you want to be). Some places don't seem to be on booking.com etc. so you'll need to Google old style and ask direct. The Bordelais wouldn't like foreign middle men... I got onto a hostel I stayed in back in the 90s and we got sorted for €24 a night, but last free places they had.

Goodness now maybe showing my age but the last time I was in Bordeaux was 36 years ago . Hummm I wonder if it has changed much LOL

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 9:04am
There's a lot of travel involved in this trip so I'm happy to be spending 6 nights in Bordeaux.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 11:01am

Guess where everyone will be heading with bags of cans LOL

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 11:05am
Hickster74,

A lot of people have provisionally booked La Rochelle and Arcachon for 4/5 days and are avoiding Bordeaux.

Any thoughts on this? - any other recommendations.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Hickster74,

A lot of people have provisionally booked La Rochelle and Arcachon for 4/5 days and are avoiding Bordeaux.

Any thoughts on this? - any other recommendations.

It really depends on what people want, HB. I don't want to get into a my place is better than yours thing because everyone will have their own idea of what they're after. But in general, you should think about:

La Rochelle is a beautiful town and has some great beaches and places to visit closeby. You need to realise that its a town of just 80,000 so your options going out will be very limited in particular week nights. Small towns in France are generally not the most accommodating and stick to their schedule. Again, it depends what you're after. The average temperature there in June is 18C and its on the Atlantic of course so there's a chance the beach part won't pay off either.

Arcachon is a nice place and must-sees are the Dune du Pilat and a boat trip in the Bassin d'Arcachon. The beach there is average and the town itself is pretty non-descript really with little night life that I could see to keep someone who likes to party going. If you want to go from there to Bordeaux for the night, you'll be going home before anything kicks off as the last train back to Archachin is around 10pm, taxi would be very expensive as its 65km. It would be very relaxing for anyone wanting a break from the madness though.

Bordeaux is a big town with many things to see, great night-life with many options to vary things over a few nights. Numerous day-trips are possible.

Everyone will have there own mission for their trip but, personally, I don't understand staying far away from a match day venue and not staying there at all, at least for a couple of nights. Unless its a complete dump, which definitely isn't the case with Bordeaux.

I'm staying for the week in the town because I know it and want to discover more thats changed since I lived there. I'll be doing daytrips a few of days, probably to Arcachon, Lacanau and Saint-Emilion (all less than an hour away) and then be back amongst it at night. Some might want to stay totally away and relax by the sea, others might want to try to recreate a town of lore and stay away from the venue altogether except for an hour before the match. Others will stay in Bordeaux for a few days and also chill out somewhere else for a couple of days before or after. Each to their own really.

-------------
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 1:49pm
Fair play Hickster. I reckon we will just go to Bordeaux from 13th - 19th Thumbs Up

The more I think about it staying in a surrounding town could end up be a pain in the hole!

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

Fair play Hickster. I reckon we will just go to Bordeaux from 13th - 19th Thumbs Up

The more I think about it staying in a surrounding town could end up be a pain in the hole!

Could do a day trip but from experience it will be get up start drinking until they drop.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: irish boogie
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 4:12pm
Options for accomadation in Bordeux aren't great at this stage .

-------------
Thank You Torun and Tyskie

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by irish boogie irish boogie wrote:

Options for accomadation in Bordeux aren't great at this stage .

Wouldn't say that - Still places on Air BNB and if you look away from booking.com, there are places to be had.

Posted By: Tyronebhoy
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

There's a lot of travel involved in this trip so I'm happy to be spending 6 nights in Bordeaux.

Aye, touched lucky myself re the draw. Booked apartment in city centre ages ago so there for the fortnight bar one night in Paris and two Lille

-------------
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Tyronebhoy Tyronebhoy wrote:

Aye, touched lucky myself re the draw. Booked apartment in city centre ages ago so there for the fortnight bar one night in Paris and two Lille

Got the ibis budget. Looks grand.

Posted By: LeedsLad95
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 11:55pm
Hickster,have just booked an Airbnb in the Saint Genes neighbourhood,about 3 mins from place de victorie. Have I gone too far away from the main clubs and pubs and will it mean that the safest way home every night will be a taxi ? 

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 8:06am
Originally posted by LeedsLad95 LeedsLad95 wrote:

Hickster,have just booked an Airbnb in the Saint Genes neighbourhood,about 3 mins from place de victorie. Have I gone too far away from the main clubs and pubs and will it mean that the safest way home every night will be a taxi ? 

You'll be fine there and not too far to walk.

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 8:29am
Booked the quick palace hotel artigues. On the edge of the city. Circa 40mins on the tram to city centre and roughly 20mins in a red eye taxi. €240 between 4 for two nights

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 8:58am
Pad with pool , tennis court , bbq in Bordeaux for a week 😎🍷🍻⚽️

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: JH91
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 9:49am
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Pad with pool , tennis court , bbq in Bordeaux for a week 😎🍷🍻⚽️

Airbnb?
Looking to get a gaff in Bordeaux for the full week as well

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 9:55am
Booking.com ... It's a little bit (10km) outside of Bordeaux but a right job for the week !

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: niall290
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 10:13am

12 of us in Ibis Budget. Ibis are fine hotels for trips of this magnitude.

-------------
June 2012 party time!!

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 10:21am
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Booking.com ... It's a little bit (10km) outside of Bordeaux but a right job for the week !

classy gents that we are...Clap

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by niall290 niall290 wrote:

12 of us in Ibis Budget. Ibis are fine hotels for trips of this magnitude.

Exactly. You pretty much know what you're getting.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 5:32pm
Hope you are not in the bunk bed Paulie :)

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 7:34pm
Was watching the Bordeaux vs Monaco game there.. Stadium looks absolutely class fans on top of the pitch and there wasn't many fans at the game but it seems to generate a good atmosphere. Absolutely beautiful and unique stadium outside and in.

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Hope you are not in the bunk bed Paulie :)

No chance! Got a room to myself. I gave up sharing rooms on the trips a long time ago.

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 8:58pm
SKY2 now @ 9pm

Mickey Flanagan touring around France including Bordeaux. Might be worth a watch.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Lord Boz
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 6:32pm
Howya lads. Looking forward to this. Five of us leaving Birmingham on Friday afternoon before a lovely 12 hour drive via the Channel Tunnel to Bordeaux.

Staying at the Premier Classes Bordeaux Est Lormont for the night - and looking at it, it's probably wise!
Think it's about 10k from the centre over the other side of the river - I've probably booked an utter kip knowing my luck.

Applied for tickets so may get lucky for them, if not, it'll be off to the fan park - anyone know where that could be?

Should be fun - the 12 hr drive back the day after to be in work Monday won't be!

Posted By: jamo1
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 2:43pm
Anybody know if there are mosquito's in Bordeaux? I get eaten alive wherever these little b*sterds are! 

-------------
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

Anybody know if there are mosquito's in Bordeaux? I get eaten alive wherever these little b*sterds are! 
No, they cant survive below 21.6 deg C.

Similar to snakes above the Tropic of Cancer.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 4:28pm
Apologies if been mentioned but the Le Mans 24 hour week long festival kicks off the Monday after we play Sweden. (Le Mans 24 hour race itslelf is the day of the Belgium game).

Seems that the track is en route down to Bordeaux. Might be an idea to stop off for a day for any petrol heads amongst us.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Gearoid101
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2015 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Apologies if been mentioned but the Le Mans 24 hour week long festival kicks off the Monday after we play Sweden. (Le Mans 24 hour race itslelf is the day of the Belgium game).

Seems that the track is en route down to Bordeaux. Might be an idea to stop off for a day for any petrol heads amongst us.

Ohhh cheers for that... Must look into 

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 4:29pm
The Grey Goose is brewed 51km from Bordeaux I found out in the earlier hours of this fine day, I'm thinking a visit to the distillery is a must

-------------

Posted By: LovelyLiam
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 7:05pm
Couple of days surfing hopefully pre boozing in Bordeaux. Fingers crossed we will have the right weather for it. I have a feeling that 2 day break away from the cities will be badly needed by the time it rolls around. Delighted we got Bordeaux though..amazing city

-------------
"They found me in a shop"

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by PhilliyK PhilliyK wrote:

The Grey Goose is brewed 51km from Bordeaux I found out in the earlier hours of this fine day, I'm thinking a visit to the distillery is a must

You'll have to organise a bus for an old day trip

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 8:30pm
Booked into a country house villa in quinsac, anybody know anything about it seems rural tho it's 8k from Bordeaux not a whole lot on trip advisor either

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 6:47pm
http://www.bordeaux-tourism.co.uk/Plan-your-trip/Practical-information/Brochures-maps-guides" rel="nofollow - http://www.bordeaux-tourism.co.uk/Plan-your-trip/Practical-information/Brochures-maps-guides

Loads of info on this above.

Bordeaux looks like a stunning city. Looking forward to doing some wine tours too.

Anyone been to Bordeaux and do these tours?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 7:03pm

http://www.bordeaux-tourism.co.uk/Plan-your-trip/Practical-information/Brochures-maps-guides" rel="nofollow - http://www.bordeaux-tourism.co.uk/Plan-your-trip/Practical-information/Brochures-maps-guides

Bordeaux looks like a stunning city. Looking forward to doing some wine tours too.

Boat cruise maybe ?

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 10:19pm

I've never done an organised wine tour but will this time for sure. Make sure any tour takes in Saint-Émilion - its a beautiful town surrounded by some of the best vineyards. Plenty of free tasting...Big smile

-------------

Posted By: robert250
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 2:20pm
anyone travelling from bruges for the game? 

seems like a hellish journey down and back Cry

Posted By: **FrOsTy**
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 2:26pm
Booked into Hotel Altica La Rochelle for 165 each for 6 nights (27.50 a night) ... anybody else staying here?

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 2:39pm
Whatever about heading down, stay in Bordeaux the night after the game, if you can. You'll never get back after the match. At the very least, don't try to get north of Paris.

-------------

Posted By: Exiled Rebel
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 4:05pm
Have to get the train back to Paris after this game. Dreading the thought of it already. Would anyone think I'll be pushing to get the train to Paris at 20.20?
I know I have a couple of hours after the game to get back but with the ground a little outside Bordeaux and everyone heading in the same direction on trams etc I'm a little uncertain.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by robert250 robert250 wrote:

anyone travelling from bruges for the game? 

seems like a hellish journey down and back Cry

That's some journey alright, best staying the night if you can manage it.

It did cross my mind to visit Bruges after Lille or Lens but I chased it out of my head...quarter final all the way..

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 12:24am
Lille to Bruges on Thursday, few days there. If we are in Lens on Saturday, easy to get back to; if it's one of the other games, we have another day to get there.

-------------

Posted By: mcginty09
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 1:52am
Cant find any reasonably priced hotels in bordeuax at the minute. Hopefully get a camper van sorted from london and a raodtrip down on the 16th. If not i searched a few campsites which are around an hour journey from city centre but it says shuttle busses are available. Anyone else using these methods?

Posted By: byrnie14
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 12:24pm
Looking for general advice in relation to reaching the Belgium game in bordeaux, where to stay cheapest way to get there, be it flight train or renting a car and getting back again all with the aid of a few pints preferrably. 

Posted By: Cian_C
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by mcginty09 mcginty09 wrote:

Cant find any reasonably priced hotels in bordeuax at the minute. Hopefully get a camper van sorted from london and a raodtrip down on the 16th. If not i searched a few campsites which are around an hour journey from city centre but it says shuttle busses are available. Anyone else using these methods?

A cheap hotel I'm booked into is the 'Hotel F1' chain Bordeaux there is a few of them around the city. They're very basic with shared bathrooms etc but a grand place for a sleep/shower for a few hours. Don't know about availability as we booked about a month ago but they're cheap as chips.  

Posted By: AngelGabriel
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 12:47am
Bordeaux prices are crazy expensive. Unless you stumble upon a deal from a group of ye on air bnb your looking at either a kip and/or a hostel.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 11:17am
Bordeaux voted Europe's best destination 2015:

http://www.europeanbestdestinations.com/top/europe-best-destinations-2015/

Some great info. in this link, including Arcachon and Saint-Émilion:

http://www.europeanbestdestinations.com/travel-guide/bordeaux/

-------------

Posted By: TheFieldsOfAthenry
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 3:15pm
F1 all the way lads dirty cheap

Posted By: LurganRed
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 1:39am
anyone been looking at trains from bordeaux to lille? have originally planned to go back to Paris for a night but starting to think would be best going straight to Lille any Ideas lads 

Posted By: amh991
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 11:36am
Originally posted by **FrOsTy** **FrOsTy** wrote:

Booked into Hotel Altica La Rochelle for 165 each for 6 nights (27.50 a night) ... anybody else staying here?

Yeah two of us staying here from the 16th to the 20th! You gone for the home stretch after or are you heading up towards Lille?

Posted By: keano10
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 11:05pm
Are many going to head to Toulouse the day before this when the Sweden Italy game is on?

Posted By: mafitz
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 10:48am
hi just booked on AirBNB, central near St Catherine's, really looking forward to it now, couple of questions if anyone can help me out and apologies if already asked and answered, any idea on the cost of living in Bordeaux, pints, eating out etc, and has the Fan Zone been located yet?

thanks.....

Posted By: mario85
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 11:20am
i know very little about bordeaux, but imagine its quite a nice spot. and expensive. is it near a beach!? this could turn into a mini sun holiday! weather id expect to be high in the 20's, it could be what we need after rippin it up in paris for 4 nights beforehand!

-------------
"James McClean, McClean, he said f*** off to the queen, now he plays for the boys in green, James McClean, McClean!"

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 11:33am
Originally posted by mafitz mafitz wrote:

hi just booked on AirBNB, central near St Catherine's, really looking forward to it now, couple of questions if anyone can help me out and apologies if already asked and answered, any idea on the cost of living in Bordeaux, pints, eating out etc, and has the Fan Zone been located yet?

thanks.....

we are staying in a place just outside of bordeaux on the beach called Arcachon, As far as i know a pint of Heineken will set you back €6. 

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 2:59am
Getting the train down from Paris (not booked yet) and then I'll be staying with camping Ninja in a premium tent (basically slightly less kippy!). 4 nights there so not too bad. Although I only seen you had a discount organised after I'd booked it :(

Anyway the city looks class so I'm really looking forward to the 4 nights there.

Anyone know where that camping Ninja site will be located?

Posted By: liam_in_germany
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 12:25am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Getting the train down from Paris (not booked yet) and then I'll be staying with camping Ninja in a premium tent (basically slightly less kippy!). 4 nights there so not too bad. Although I only seen you had a discount organised after I'd booked it :(

Anyway the city looks class so I'm really looking forward to the 4 nights there.

Whats security like in these sites?

Posted By: moanermufc
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 12:33am
Originally posted by liam_in_germany liam_in_germany wrote:

Says 24/7 security on their website I think; doesn't say where it'll be located though which seems a tad sketchy

Posted By: liam_in_germany
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 12:38am
Originally posted by moanermufc moanermufc wrote:

Originally posted by liam_in_germany liam_in_germany wrote:

Says 24/7 security on their website I think; doesn't say where it'll be located though which seems a tad sketchy

Dont fancy carrying everything on me. Passport tickets etc but wouldnt leave them in a tent either

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 12:43am
Suss it out when you get there. All good, hide inside in the usual spots. Worried, dig a hole under the ground sheet near the edge (when you're 100% sure no one's looking) and put it in there in one of those re-sealable plastic lunchbags.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 2:09am

Suss it out when you get there. All good, hide inside in the usual spots. Worried, dig a hole under the ground sheet near the edge (when you're 100% sure no one's looking) and put it in there in one of those re-sealable plastic lunchbags.

I would be wise of them to have lockers you can rent to store stuff like that. The campsite will be packed so I'd probably take the chance and keep it there. I can understand thieves robbing money but your passport is just bad. So don't be leaving any notes lying around!

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 10:43am

I would be wise of them to have lockers you can rent to store stuff like that. The campsite will be packed so I'd probably take the chance and keep it there. I can understand thieves robbing money but your passport is just bad. So don't be leaving any notes lying around!
Carlsberg camps in Poznan were a mad one. They had safety deposit boxes for passports etc but they also had a small gazebo thing full of sockets for phone charging. Hundreds of phones were left there ranging from all type of iPhones etc and only maybe 10 or 11 people actually waiting by their phone to charge. Would've been so easy to nick a handful of phones. I didn't hear of any being robbed but be surely there were some

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 12:26am
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Carlsberg camps in Poznan were a mad one. They had safety deposit boxes for passports etc but they also had a small gazebo thing full of sockets for phone charging. Hundreds of phones were left there ranging from all type of iPhones etc and only maybe 10 or 11 people actually waiting by their phone to charge. Would've been so easy to nick a handful of phones. I didn't hear of any being robbed but be surely there were some

Considering the price of phones that sounds a bit mad. Thankfully the 4 nights in bordeaux are the only camping ones. and if the kip that was the Carlsberg camps had safes then surely the more up market camping Ninja will too :p

Posted By: Butthead
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 10:05pm

Getting the train down from Paris

Cannai wait for the train journey, be some craic. We're on the 15:28 train so should be well on our way by the time we board. Another quality rail journey courtesy of the Boys in Green n bags o'cans.

-------------
"I always likened him to a Rolls Royce. You just used him once a week & he'd be flawless"

Townsend on McGrath

Posted By: BelfastFitz
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 2:48pm
Anyone else flying into Tours for this?  Price of flights were dirt cheap.  Looks like there is a direct train from Tours to Bordeaux (think it's the high speed one that originates in Paris).

Staying in the ibis budget Bordeaux Centre Meriadeck on 37 COURS DU MARECHAL JUIN - 33000 BORDEAUX.  Think it's fairly central, anyone know how close to the usual drinking districts it is?

Posted By: HampshireDub
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 5:13pm
Appreciate the excitement levels have risen now with ticket allocations etc but 4 miserable pages for Bordeaux general thread

Bordeaux is a magical city and knocks the socks off Paris.
There's several large squares there too have we decided on a main one to 'invade' night before and day of the game ?
Cans / beers in pubs what's the general concencus ?
Anybody doing a winery tour ?
What will be the French polices approach / policy to street drinking ?

Thoughts ?

-------------
Draw me a compass I need a MAP

Posted By: farrell
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 7:27pm
Nothing much they'll be able to do with 50,000 irish drinking in the squares etc Beer

Posted By: xRedmanLFCx
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 11:37am
Originally posted by farrell farrell wrote:

Nothing much they'll be able to do with 50,000 irish drinking in the squares etc Beer

This! LOL Beer

Can't wait for Bordeaux, should be the first real large congregation of Irish all in the one spot as it is smaller than Paris. Nice city from what I have heard/read and in a fantastic part of the country too. Cool

-------------
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 12:00pm
I was in Bordeaux last summer. Really nice place. Look forward to going back in June.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Jock
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 12:16pm
Staying in F1 Bordeaux Ville. Anyone any idea costs of taxis in France? Says its about 4km into City Centre 

Posted By: smokeyd
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by farrell farrell wrote:

50,000 irish.. 
Drinking outside a 42,000 seater stadium..

That boosts my confidence of getting a ticket for this game Cry

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 2:33pm
Anyone staying in Air BnB's in Bordeaux?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 2:42pm

Yep, city centre apartment for 5 of us

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Posted By: mafitz
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 2:44pm
two of staying in the St Catherine area, Airbnb

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 2:46pm
Really yeah how much per night?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 3:02pm
Got it for €350 in total for 3 nights, €70 each. Looks a grand spot and right in the middle of the city

-------------

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 3:43pm

Are ya thinking of abandoning Archachorn (or however the hell you spell it)?

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 3:44pm
Might go for 1 night maybe 2.

Bordeaux looks class and this place seems a bit too quiet.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 3:51pm
Plan was to head out there on the Sunday for the day and have a few drinks. Staying in Bordeaux Friday-Monday

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 3:59pm
Sounds like a better idea...

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 4:06pm

We got a city centre apartment for 5 nights.€30 per person per night.
Some great deals on there HB especially if you arent looking for a big apartment.There are 5 of us so we were a bit limited with available places.

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 4:09pm
In Bordeaux Fri to Monday meself. Flying up to Lille on Monday with a 24 hour layover in Nantes on the way there.

Have accommodation for Friday and Saturday night oin Bordeaux but nothing for Sunday yet.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 4:13pm
Wednesday to Sunday here
Was the only city of the 3 I wanted to go to. Looks a good spot

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Some great deals on there HB especially if you arent looking for a big apartment.There are 5 of us so we were a bit limited with available places.
Yeah same as but all its needed for is a sleep & a shower I suppose. Couldn't pass up the prices

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Yeah same as but all its needed for is a sleep & a shower I suppose. Couldn't pass up the prices

Exactly,I am very happy with the place we booked.

I had a look on AirbnB and there is still decent value to be got .

Posted By: SouthDerryMan
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 8:48am
Long term reader, first time poster.

A group of us are staying in paris from 12th to 16th - heading to bordeaux via train on the thursday. wondering will the craic and irish fans be making their way to bordeaux earlier than the thursday? would rather head earlier if thought there was more drinking to be done down there. thanks

Posted By: fr larry duff
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 9:07am
Originally posted by SouthDerryMan SouthDerryMan wrote:

Long term reader, first time poster.

A group of us are staying in paris from 12th to 16th - heading to bordeaux via train on the thursday. wondering will the craic and irish fans be making their way to bordeaux earlier than the thursday? would rather head earlier if thought there was more drinking to be done down there. thanks

Thursday would be grand, lot of people on here seem to be stopping off in various places such as la Rochelle, arcachon, etc before going to bordeaux. not heading to Bordeaux myself till the Friday.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 9:13am
Thanks! staying in campingninja. three days drinking in bordeaux will be suffice

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 9:29am
Originally posted by le scientifique le scientifique wrote:

Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

In Bordeaux Fri to Monday meself. Flying up to Lille on Monday with a 24 hour layover in Nantes on the way there.

Have accommodation for Friday and Saturday night oin Bordeaux but nothing for Sunday yet.

We have the Sunday night booked also but looking to get out of it. we are heading to St Jean De Luz on the Monday for about 20 hours. thinking about doing a road trip on the sunday if ur up for it. loads of WW2 Sites south of Bordeaux. stay in some random town/village

A road trip on the Sunday sounds like a brilliant plan in February. It mightn't be so good after the shenanigans on the Saturday night after beating the Belgians. Will be cure central on Sunday i'd say! Never say never though. 

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: HampshireDub
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 10:44am

Originally posted by le scientifique le scientifique wrote:

We have the Sunday night booked also but looking to get out of it. we are heading to St Jean De Luz on the Monday for about 20 hours. thinking about doing a road trip on the sunday if ur up for it. loads of WW2 Sites south of Bordeaux. stay in some random town/village

A road trip on the Sunday sounds like a brilliant plan in February. It mightn't be so good after the shenanigans on the Saturday night after beating the Belgians. Will be cure central on Sunday i'd say! Never say never though. 

My advice for what it's worth would be to stay the Sunday.
With the inevitable mass exodus you will find hotels cheaper and a sense of calm.
Unless you have a bible bashing non drinker who's happy to stay off the sauce and drive the next day don't do it.
I made the mistake of driving from poznan back to Eindhoven after three days on the sauce.
I was fit to drive but it was a hideous experience.
The sounds of shoes off for the boys in green / the sweats and big spiders running up the wall in our hotel was evil.
Give yourself a day to lie around doing f all and drive the Monday.
You will not regret it.

-------------
Draw me a compass I need a MAP

Posted By: OhhhWhelan
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 11:54pm
Anyone looking for a direct flight home from Bordeaux the day after the Belgium match?
Selling my ticket for original value of €200.

I booked the Ryanair 1:55pm departure last December but am selling it now as I only got tickets for the Paris match.
Ryanair charge €110 to change the name on the booking but I'm just looking for the €200 fair back.
This flight is now sold-out, as is the other afternoon flight. Their night flight is now €300 so I think €200 is a good deal for buyer and seller :-)

Posted By: Conall01
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 9:18am
so 200euro all in including name change?

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 9:22am
Hi, i would buy this off you if offer still going

Posted By: OhhhWhelan
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Conall01 Conall01 wrote:

so 200euro all in including name change?

yeap, just looking to cover the €110 name change fee and the booking for my alternative flight home.
Otherwise I could just pay the €60 fee to change to another Ryanair flight ....an option I'm still considering.

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 11:24am
Any word when more trains will be released for booking?

Gonna travel down to Bordeaux from Paris on the 14/6/16.Would it be 14th March or is it gonna be different for the Euro's ?

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 12:31pm

Any word when more trains will be released for booking?

Gonna travel down to Bordeaux from Paris on the 14/6/16.Would it be 14th March or is it gonna be different for the Euro's ?

SD reckons they will come out at 23:00 on the 14th of March.

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 1:43pm
Yeah, that's what it is looking like anyway.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net