You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Callum O Dowda

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 31>
Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkfloyd2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

You give out about this lad playing league 2, yet you think a fella playing for Cambuur is better than Hoolahan? Get up the yard!!

A player who has spent most of the season in league 2 on the bench . Answer me this why is O' Dowda on the bench for a league 2 team if he is a good player.

Jack Byrne has won man of the match awards against Ajax and PSV Einhoven. One of the games legends Patrick Viera compared him too Paul Scholes . Yes I do believe that Byrne is a better player than Hoolohan already . He is more techically gifted, has more vision , an eye for goal , can start attacks better, play the cross field pass .

IF he was put in the team he would be more influentia than Hoolohan as he can control a game from a deeper position . The kid is going to be a star for Ireland make no mistake . He can be our most influential player since Roy Keane.
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:49pm
Howya Mrs. Byrne, how's things? Did ye see Fair City tonight love?
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by pinkfloyd2016 pinkfloyd2016 wrote:

A player who has spent most of the season in league 2 on the bench . Answer me this why is O' Dowda on the bench for a league 2 team if he is a good player.

Jack Byrne has won man of the match awards against Ajax and PSV Einhoven. One of the games legends Patrick Viera compared him too Paul Scholes . Yes I do believe that Byrne is a better player than Hoolohan already . He is more techically gifted, has more vision , an eye for goal , can start attacks better, play the cross field pass .

IF he was put in the team he would be more influentia than Hoolohan as he can control a game from a deeper position . The kid is going to be a star for Ireland make no mistake . He can be our most influential player since Roy Keane.
Because this is the first time anyone has ever compared any Irish player to Roy Keane.
I seem to remember similar stuff being said about Liam Miller and Steven Reid.
I wish the lad the best of luck but he has a hell of a lot to do.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
pinkfloyd2016 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkfloyd2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

He scored the goal that saw Oxford promoted to League 1 a few days ago so he's a League 1 player now. I don't think he'll be leaving there this Summer and a year or two in that league will do him the world of good. There's no need to be getting carried away with him or dismissing him at this stage

But people are getting carried away with him . O' Dowda has spent most of the season on the bench for a league 2 team . They are saying that all the big teams in the premier league are after him . A guy who isn't a first team player for a league 2 team.  Think about that . 

You in fairness seem to be injecting a bit of realism in to this thread. You are right he will be in league one next year and he will more than likely spend a couple of years there . In my opinion because he has decent control of the ball , pace and can dribble a bit he might make the championship or perhaps a lower level team in the premier league but try telling that to people who have seen him play on this board . They think he is the future of Ireland's midfield . 

I will be interested to see what Eamon Dunphy thinks about this . If he isn't baffled by O' Neill picking O' Dowd over Byrne I will be amazed.
richie_os View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richie_os Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:01am

He scored the goal that saw Oxford promoted to League 1 a few days ago so he's a League 1 player now. I don't think he'll be leaving there this Summer and a year or two in that league will do him the world of good. There's no need to be getting carried away with him or dismissing him at this stage

But people are getting carried away with him . O' Dowda has spent most of the season on the bench for a league 2 team . They are saying that all the big teams in the premier league are after him . A guy who isn't a first team player for a league 2 team.  Think about that . 

You in fairness seem to be injecting a bit of realism in to this thread. You are right he will be in league one next year and he will more than likely spend a couple of years there . In my opinion because he has decent control of the ball , pace and can dribble a bit he might make the championship or perhaps a lower level team in the premier league but try telling that to people who have seen him play on this board . They think he is the future of Ireland's midfield . 

I will be interested to see what Eamon Dunphy thinks about this . If he isn't baffled by O' Neill picking O' Dowd over Byrne I will be amazed.

Yeah, and if Dunphy has a problem with something, it's definitely correct and certainly never hyperbole
(San Marino) I think i'd settle for the draw.
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkfloyd2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Because this is the first time anyone has ever compared any Irish player to Roy Keane.

But he is a far more gifted player than either of those you mention . To me Byrnes talent isn't in question and he seems to have that believe and desire aswell. He is what I call a natural footballer there aren't many of them still around . He makes the game look easy.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:03am
Well if Dunphy is baffled then I will apologise. Eamonn has never, ever been wrong about anything!
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkfloyd2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:04am
Originally posted by richie_os richie_os wrote:

Yeah, and if Dunphy has a problem with something, it's definitely correct and certainly never hyperbole

A lot of what people on this site say about O' Dowda is hyperbole.
Andy_Eire View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy_Eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:19am
I do not essentially agree with what PinkFloyd2016 is saying, but I can say I am baffled as to why Jack Byrne isn't in the provisional squad (at least) but a League 2 bench player (with great talent as I've seen him play) is there
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:22am
TBF, by any logical measure Byrne should have been ahead of O'Dowda for the "wildcard" place in the squad. I really like O'Dowda, but he has been playing in L2 and hasn't even been a consistent starter for Oxford there. Byrne has been a regular starter and arguably the main player for a team playing in a better league. There's no obvious reason as to why O'Dowda would be picked ahead of Byrne unless as I speculated it's a case of O'Dowda being courted by England and they're afraid of losing him.

Edited by The O'Shea - 13 May 2016 at 12:24am
We're decent enough..
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:24am

Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

But he is a far more gifted player than either of those you mention . To me Byrnes talent isn't in question and he seems to have that believe and desire aswell. He is what I call a natural footballer there aren't many of them still around . He makes the game look easy.
If you can possibly use more clichés in your next post, that would be great.
How much is a season ticket for Cambuur?

I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Andy_Eire View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy_Eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:25am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

TBF, by any logical measure Byrne should have been ahead of O'Dowda for the "wildcard" place in the squad. I really like O'Dowda, but he has been playing in L2 and hasn't even been a consistent starter for Oxford there. Byrne is has been a regular starter and arguably the main player for a team playing in a better league. There's no obvious reason as to why O'Dowda would be picked ahead of Byrne unless as I speculated it's a case of O'Dowda being courted by England and they're afraid of losing him.
Watch now how people argue that League 2 is better than Eredivisie.
Charlo View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:27am
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

No, O'Dowda is in my opinion. Dele Ali was playing league 1 last season and Vardy was on a building site not that long ago, he'll not be in league 2 next season.
Having watched him for the U21s he has looked a cut above others in the squad and there are bigger clubs watching him. He has great pace and control on the run. Doubt he'd make the squad for the Euros but being included and probably be given a cap which will do no harm to his own prospects for a potential move.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:36am
Originally posted by Andy_Eire Andy_Eire wrote:

TBF, by any logical measure Byrne should have been ahead of O'Dowda for the "wildcard" place in the squad. I really like O'Dowda, but he has been playing in L2 and hasn't even been a consistent starter for Oxford there. Byrne is has been a regular starter and arguably the main player for a team playing in a better league. There's no obvious reason as to why O'Dowda would be picked ahead of Byrne unless as I speculated it's a case of O'Dowda being courted by England and they're afraid of losing him.

The problem is the quality within the Eredivisie differs greatly. I would certainly expect Oxford to beat Cambuur. Oxford United were a decent side this year. It would appear Byrne has had an OK season for them, who scored is used by a lot of scouts and journalists, hardly an exact science but it gives us a rough assessment . People are accused of being hyperbolic about O'Dowda, personally think he is further on in his developed, physically stronger and was the stand out player for the21s when I have watched them, it would appear those in position to judge would agree.
I really hope Byrne can get himself a better loan move next year and develop, especially physically, but to claim he is better than Hoolahan, who whatever my criticisms are is a good and proven footballer, is just lunacy.
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkfloyd2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:37am

I do not essentially agree with what PinkFloyd2016 is saying, but I can say I am baffled as to why Jack Byrne isn't in the provisional squad (at least) but a League 2 bench player (with great talent as I've seen him play) is there

If he has great talent why did he spend the entire season in league  2. Why did spend most of the season on the bench for a league 2 team . Why hasn't a premier league team come in for him . You don't honestly believe this guy can be a premier league player . He is 21 years old.
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkfloyd2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:43am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The problem is the quality within the Eredivisie differs greatly. I would certainly expect Oxford to beat Cambuur. Oxford United were a decent side this year. It would appear Byrne has had an OK season for them, who scored is used by a lot of scouts and journalists, hardly an exact science but it gives us a rough assessment . People are accused of being hyperbolic about O'Dowda, personally think he is further on in his developed, physically stronger and was the stand out player for the21s when I have watched them, it would appear those in position to judge would agree.
I really hope Byrne can get himself a better loan move next year and develop, especially physically, but to claim he is better than Hoolahan, who whatever my criticisms are is a good and proven footballer, is just lunacy.

Under 21's is boys football . If O' Dowd is such a talent why hasn't he replicated this form for his club . More to the point why doesen't the manager pick him .  I have asked this question numerous time and nobody has been able to tell me 
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkfloyd2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:47am
Originally posted by Charlo Charlo wrote:

Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

No, O'Dowda is in my opinion. Dele Ali was playing league 1 last season and Vardy was on a building site not that long ago, he'll not be in league 2 next season.
Having watched him for the U21s he has looked a cut above others in the squad and there are bigger clubs watching him. He has great pace and control on the run. Doubt he'd make the squad for the Euros but being included and probably be given a cap which will do no harm to his own prospects for a potential move.

Where is the evidence that there is bigger clubs watching him. There is more to the game than pace and control on the run. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:00am
I know nothing about EPL clubs after him but his move to Derby fell through in January and I know Celtic were watching him. I am sure a quick google of his name and both clubs should show something up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 31>
  Share Topic