Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=53044
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 9:33am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Callum O Dowda
Posted By: Doyler1993
Subject: Callum O Dowda
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 4:43pm
Has become a regular for both his club oxford who sit top of league 2 and ireland u21. He has scored 4 goals this season from midfield and is starting to attract interest from clubs in the championship and premier league. 

-------------
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE

Replies:
Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 4:44pm
Like who from the premier league? 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 4:49pm
HITC Sport has learned that Liverpool are heading the chase and are one of those who have failed with requests to let him train with the club, whilst city rivals Everton, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur are also keen.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 4:52pm
I find that hard to believe to be honest and never heard of HITC Sport but best of luck to the lad. Always follow Oxford's progress. Won't be long until Roofe is snapped up too but that's irrelevant to the ROI.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I find that hard to believe to be honest a<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">nd never heard of HITC Sport</span> but best of luck to the lad. Always follow Oxford's progress. Won't be long until Roofe is snapped up too but that's irrelevant to the ROI.
Things have gone a bit flat for him

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 7:54pm
Would be nice to see him get promoted (if they do) with Oxford or just see the season out, seeing as he's only 20 and then test himself at a higher level. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 8:27pm
Looks at talented player, good pace and skill.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: mully_85
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 8:58pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE10mXdDMJI

defo looks promising....

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 1:54pm
This lad was absolutely fantastic on the wing for Oxford today. Hope he can kick on

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 2:01pm
Yeah very good today, as were the whole side.
Hoban did well with a run off the bench too

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 2:18pm
why was he not starting???

Posted By: Irish2011
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I find that hard to believe to be honest and never heard of HITC Sport but best of luck to the lad. Always follow Oxford's progress. Won't be long until Roofe is snapped up too but that's irrelevant to the ROI.
How did you know about Roofe? Do you watch Oxford?

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 3:48pm
Scores in the Johnston Paint trophy he's been terrific, first appearance in a large arena and rises to the occasion.

O'Dowda is our future star, a big move beckons this summer for O'Dowda,I've watched him three times for Oxford this season live each time he's been a stand out player. Another Dele Ali story in the making.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 4:08pm
Think he's been largely quiet today tbf, but he took his goal very well no doubt.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 4:46pm
Done well to score, done nothing else

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 7:33pm
Hope you are half right Byrner but he's playing league 2 so let's wait and see before getting too excited.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 7:47pm
I mean Forrester if anyone looks to be the next great white hope of Irish football, no?

O'Dowda has a hell of a long way to go......

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 9:01pm
No, O'Dowda is in my opinion. Dele Ali was playing league 1 last season and Vardy was on a building site not that long ago, he'll not be in league 2 next season.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 11:17pm
I should point out I've seen a hell of a lot of Callum O'Dowda, Forrester seems to possess the ability to move up the leagues also. I've seen Forrester on TV once v WBA i've seen O'Dowda a few times it doesn't surprise me a large number of clubs are chasing him this summer! hopefully they both flourish!

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

I should point out I've seen a hell of a lot of Callum O'Dowda, Forrester seems to possess the ability to move up the leagues also. I've seen Forrester on TV once v WBA i've seen O'Dowda a few times it doesn't surprise me a large number of clubs are chasing him this summer! hopefully they both flourish!

How have you seen a hell of a lot of callum o dowda as his matches arent on live tv bar maybe 3 or 4 max throughout the season or do you possess a season ticket for oxford?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 1:45am
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

How have you seen a hell of a lot of callum o dowda as his matches arent on live tv bar maybe 3 or 4 max throughout the season or do you possess a season ticket for oxford?

Ha. I attend football games with my colleagues and buddies, I don't sit on my sofa and watch Super Saturday/Sunday weekly. Myself and a group of friends attend random games in and around London each week if we're off we have done since we were students. I've seen O'Dowda v Leyton Orient, Wimbledon and Barnet live, he was bloody superb against Barnet last month too. Great potential there let's all hope he pushes on.

Also, I only have two season tickets.. One for Celtic and the other for FC Bayern Munchen, ive had my Bayern season ticket since I was literally a child with my grandpa and father, add my Bayern season ticket and Celtic one together and it's still cheaper then then a mid table PL teams. Somehow it's cheaper to watch Bayern play then Celtic, go figure   

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 2:33am

He watched them out the cockpit window

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 7:52am

No, O'Dowda is in my opinion. Dele Ali was playing league 1 last season and Vardy was on a building site not that long ago, he'll not be in league 2 next season.

jesus christ are u serious??? who says there ever has to be another "vardy story" or "dele ali story"? u ever hear of the phrase, "clutching at straws?. jesus, get carried away much? the lad has potential, but thats all. he has done nothing so far

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 7:55am
and by the way... two hugely conflicting posts on how he played in this game. one man says he was bloody superb, and another says bar his goal he done nothing. 

which of the two is true? how can it be so different

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 8:49am

Ha. I attend football games with my colleagues and buddies, I don't sit on my sofa and watch Super Saturday/Sunday weekly. Myself and a group of friends attend random games in and around London each week if we're off we have done since we were students. I've seen O'Dowda v Leyton Orient, Wimbledon and Barnet live, he was bloody superb against Barnet last month too. Great potential there let's all hope he pushes on.

Also, I only have two season tickets.. One for Celtic and the other for FC Bayern Munchen, ive had my Bayern season ticket since I was literally a child with my grandpa and father, add my Bayern season ticket and Celtic one together and it's still cheaper then then a mid table PL teams. Somehow it's cheaper to watch Bayern play then Celtic, go figure   
Don't forget Tyrone and Ulster.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:13am

http://www.ybig.ie/forum/derby-day_topic34446_page4.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.ybig.ie/forum/derby-day_topic34446_page4.html

Celtic and United, season tickets for both.
I've a small love for Southampton also as when I lived there we would of went to all their home games. So I'd always look out for their results

I suppose they both wear red so it's easy enough to get them mixed up.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:18am
He played a total of 188 minutes of football in those games, hardly 'a hell of a lot', more sh*te talk

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:32am
I have a United one through my local supports club back home, it costs me basically nothing as others use it I go to big games I was trying to make a point about the price of football in England thought id leave it out Cry  I couldn't justify having it unless i either attended weekly or didn't get my money back, yes PM i've an Ulster and Club Tyrone/Club Ireland member too I'm passionate about supporting my teams!

He scored two v Barnet? He was great that day in particular.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:33am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

http://www.ybig.ie/forum/derby-day_topic34446_page4.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.ybig.ie/forum/derby-day_topic34446_page4.html

Celtic and United, season tickets for both.
I've a small love for Southampton also as when I lived there we would of went to all their home games. So I'd always look out for their results

I suppose they both wear red so it's easy enough to get them mixed up.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 10:10am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

He played a total of 188 minutes of football in those games, hardly 'a hell of a lot', more sh*te talk

is this byrne lad a wind up do u think? the more i read the more im thinking surely he is taking the piss

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 10:15am
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

is this byrne lad a wind up do u think? the more i read the more im thinking surely he is taking the piss

Defiantly not a wind up, as members on here stalk me  isn't that right lads, shouting abuse at my missus in Poland Thumbs Up. Now, if anyone cares to approach me I shall happily speak to them and buy them a drink, I however do not answer to 'Captain'

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 10:20am
Stay defiant, Topper!Anyway, I merely highlight when you talk absolute bollocks, unfortunately that is all the time. 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 10:21am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Stay defiant, Topper!Anyway, I merely highlight when you talk absolute bollocks, unfortunately that is all the time. 

In your opinion PM, our opinions simply differ Cry

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 10:28am

In your opinion PM, our opinions simply differ Cry
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL 

My opinion is that you lie,repeatedly. There is evidence in this very thread to back it up.

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 3:55pm
Good player Callum done ok yesterday! One of our brightest prospects coming through certainly.

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 4:10pm
Another goal today

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:04pm

Called up Clap - Future of Irish football, move coming this summer has many admirers.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: mandrake
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:52pm
looks good . good  control of the ball

Posted By: eboue16
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 1:08pm
*knee-jerk reaction alert*
from the first 2 mins of the clip above hes a clearly better overall baller than murphy or mcgoldrick. i know anybody can make a youtube vid to look like the next best thing but at least he looks happy to have the ball and not panic and hoofing it away at any given opportunity. well able to shoot from distance as well. drops back an awful lot to come collect and puts in fair share of donkey work! could be a serious handful. give him a run over the next 2 friendlies and if he produces in any form, stick him on the plane 

If he didnt have a chance of grabbing a place in the squad, he wouldnt have been included....

-------------
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 1:10pm
He won't be competing with Murphy and McGoldrick though, he is an out and out winger.

-------------

Posted By: eboue16
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 1:20pm
Makes sense as to why he seemed to be playing deeper than I'd expected! Should have checked that out!
In my head I count Walters as a forward as opposed to a midfielder is kind of where i was going with that re mcgoldrick/murphy regardless so we'd still technically have 4 attackers

-------------
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle

Posted By: farfar
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 1:51pm
Anytime I've seen him he has reminded me of a more technical version of McClean. Bit of a strange decision considering the level that he currently plays at and the fact he spends a bit of time on the bench. Been the stand out player for most of the 21's games I've seen him involved in though. 

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 4:20pm
Thought he was Ireland's stand out player for the 21s in the last campaign, unlucky missing out on player of the year to Browne.

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 5:41pm
I wonder if the reason he was bumped up the list ahead of the likes of Byrne and Browne is because the England Under-21's were sniffing around?

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 6:21pm
Think it is more to do with him offering us something different on the left wing to be honest. Think he is further along in his development than Byrne is too, is more physical etc. Browne is unlucky that we have so many midfielders at the moment. 

-------------

Posted By: pinkfloyd2016
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 10:51pm
A lot of people are getting carried away about this kid . Saying that the top clubs in the premier league are sniffing round him which is just media hearsay . The fact he is twenty years old and is still playing in league two  . He also has tenuous connections with ireland and has only declared for us as he knows he isn't good enough for England.

You are not living in reality if you think this kid wouldn't jump at the chance of playing for England if he got the opportunity I have only seen clips him on youtube but he looks like another mcgeady to me . His crossing is poor . Its also very difficult to judge how good a player is when he is playing against essentially pub players . 

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by pinkfloyd2016 pinkfloyd2016 wrote:

A lot of people are getting carried away about this kid . Saying that the top clubs in the premier league are sniffing round him which is just media hearsay . The fact he is twenty years old and is still playing in league two  . He also has tenuous connections with ireland and has only declared for us as he knows he isn't good enough for England.

You are not living in reality if you think this kid wouldn't jump at the chance of playing for England if he got the opportunity I have only seen clips him on youtube but he looks like another mcgeady to me . His crossing is poor . Its also very difficult to judge how good a player is when he is playing against essentially pub players . 

Really? Do you know who is his dad and grandfather are? 

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:02pm

Really? Do you know who is his dad and grandfather are? 
Don't waste your time SB this clown does not even know his arse from a hole in the ground, just a wum

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:09pm
How good do you think this kid can be , because it seems to me that a lot of people think this kid is the next Damien Duff.  Some are even making comparisons with Delle Ali . Ali was ripping up league 2 . This kid has been on the bench most of the season . You would swear he was the star of the team they way people here are talking about him here .

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by farfar farfar wrote:

Anytime I've seen him he has reminded me of a more technical version of McClean. Bit of a strange decision considering the level that he currently plays at and the fact he spends a bit of time on the bench. Been the stand out player for most of the 21's games I've seen him involved in though. 

He spends most of the time on the bench in league 2 and people on this board are getting excited about him . Jesus wept. LOL

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:27pm
You give out about this lad playing league 2, yet you think a fella playing for Cambuur is better than Hoolahan? Get up the yard!!

-------------

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:33pm

You give out about this lad playing league 2, yet you think a fella playing for Cambuur is better than Hoolahan? Get up the yard!!
ClapClap
The amount of clowns on the news report of the Squad announcement on the RTE site saying the same thing is unbelievable.
Where`s Jack Byrne?, Whys this fella in the squad?, Never heard of him, He`s a league 2 player etc etc

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:39pm
Wrong thread

-------------

Posted By: johnvonp
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:41pm
He scored the goal that saw Oxford promoted to League 1 a few days ago so he's a League 1 player now. I don't think he'll be leaving there this Summer and a year or two in that league will do him the world of good. There's no need to be getting carried away with him or dismissing him at this stage

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:43pm

A player who has spent most of the season in league 2 on the bench . Answer me this why is O' Dowda on the bench for a league 2 team if he is a good player.

Jack Byrne has won man of the match awards against Ajax and PSV Einhoven. One of the games legends Patrick Viera compared him too Paul Scholes . Yes I do believe that Byrne is a better player than Hoolohan already . He is more techically gifted, has more vision , an eye for goal , can start attacks better, play the cross field pass .

IF he was put in the team he would be more influentia than Hoolohan as he can control a game from a deeper position . The kid is going to be a star for Ireland make no mistake . He can be our most influential player since Roy Keane.

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:49pm
Howya Mrs. Byrne, how's things? Did ye see Fair City tonight love?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:52pm

A player who has spent most of the season in league 2 on the bench . Answer me this why is O' Dowda on the bench for a league 2 team if he is a good player.

Jack Byrne has won man of the match awards against Ajax and PSV Einhoven. One of the games legends Patrick Viera compared him too Paul Scholes . Yes I do believe that Byrne is a better player than Hoolohan already . He is more techically gifted, has more vision , an eye for goal , can start attacks better, play the cross field pass .

IF he was put in the team he would be more influentia than Hoolohan as he can control a game from a deeper position . The kid is going to be a star for Ireland make no mistake . He can be our most influential player since Roy Keane.
Because this is the first time anyone has ever compared any Irish player to Roy Keane.
I seem to remember similar stuff being said about Liam Miller and Steven Reid.
I wish the lad the best of luck but he has a hell of a lot to do.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

He scored the goal that saw Oxford promoted to League 1 a few days ago so he's a League 1 player now. I don't think he'll be leaving there this Summer and a year or two in that league will do him the world of good. There's no need to be getting carried away with him or dismissing him at this stage

But people are getting carried away with him . O' Dowda has spent most of the season on the bench for a league 2 team . They are saying that all the big teams in the premier league are after him . A guy who isn't a first team player for a league 2 team.  Think about that . 

You in fairness seem to be injecting a bit of realism in to this thread. You are right he will be in league one next year and he will more than likely spend a couple of years there . In my opinion because he has decent control of the ball , pace and can dribble a bit he might make the championship or perhaps a lower level team in the premier league but try telling that to people who have seen him play on this board . They think he is the future of Ireland's midfield . 

I will be interested to see what Eamon Dunphy thinks about this . If he isn't baffled by O' Neill picking O' Dowd over Byrne I will be amazed.

Posted By: richie_os
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:01am

But people are getting carried away with him . O' Dowda has spent most of the season on the bench for a league 2 team . They are saying that all the big teams in the premier league are after him . A guy who isn't a first team player for a league 2 team.  Think about that . 

You in fairness seem to be injecting a bit of realism in to this thread. You are right he will be in league one next year and he will more than likely spend a couple of years there . In my opinion because he has decent control of the ball , pace and can dribble a bit he might make the championship or perhaps a lower level team in the premier league but try telling that to people who have seen him play on this board . They think he is the future of Ireland's midfield . 

I will be interested to see what Eamon Dunphy thinks about this . If he isn't baffled by O' Neill picking O' Dowd over Byrne I will be amazed.

Yeah, and if Dunphy has a problem with something, it's definitely correct and certainly never hyperbole

-------------
(San Marino) I think i'd settle for the draw.

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Because this is the first time anyone has ever compared any Irish player to Roy Keane.

But he is a far more gifted player than either of those you mention . To me Byrnes talent isn't in question and he seems to have that believe and desire aswell. He is what I call a natural footballer there aren't many of them still around . He makes the game look easy.

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:03am
Well if Dunphy is baffled then I will apologise. Eamonn has never, ever been wrong about anything!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:04am
Originally posted by richie_os richie_os wrote:

Yeah, and if Dunphy has a problem with something, it's definitely correct and certainly never hyperbole

A lot of what people on this site say about O' Dowda is hyperbole.

Posted By: Andy_Eire
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:19am
I do not essentially agree with what PinkFloyd2016 is saying, but I can say I am baffled as to why Jack Byrne isn't in the provisional squad (at least) but a League 2 bench player (with great talent as I've seen him play) is there

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:22am
TBF, by any logical measure Byrne should have been ahead of O'Dowda for the "wildcard" place in the squad. I really like O'Dowda, but he has been playing in L2 and hasn't even been a consistent starter for Oxford there. Byrne has been a regular starter and arguably the main player for a team playing in a better league. There's no obvious reason as to why O'Dowda would be picked ahead of Byrne unless as I speculated it's a case of O'Dowda being courted by England and they're afraid of losing him.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:24am

But he is a far more gifted player than either of those you mention . To me Byrnes talent isn't in question and he seems to have that believe and desire aswell. He is what I call a natural footballer there aren't many of them still around . He makes the game look easy.
If you can possibly use more clichés in your next post, that would be great.
How much is a season ticket for Cambuur?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:25am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

TBF, by any logical measure Byrne should have been ahead of O'Dowda for the "wildcard" place in the squad. I really like O'Dowda, but he has been playing in L2 and hasn't even been a consistent starter for Oxford there. Byrne is has been a regular starter and arguably the main player for a team playing in a better league. There's no obvious reason as to why O'Dowda would be picked ahead of Byrne unless as I speculated it's a case of O'Dowda being courted by England and they're afraid of losing him.
Watch now how people argue that League 2 is better than Eredivisie.

Posted By: Charlo
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:27am

Having watched him for the U21s he has looked a cut above others in the squad and there are bigger clubs watching him. He has great pace and control on the run. Doubt he'd make the squad for the Euros but being included and probably be given a cap which will do no harm to his own prospects for a potential move.

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:36am
Originally posted by Andy_Eire Andy_Eire wrote:

TBF, by any logical measure Byrne should have been ahead of O'Dowda for the "wildcard" place in the squad. I really like O'Dowda, but he has been playing in L2 and hasn't even been a consistent starter for Oxford there. Byrne is has been a regular starter and arguably the main player for a team playing in a better league. There's no obvious reason as to why O'Dowda would be picked ahead of Byrne unless as I speculated it's a case of O'Dowda being courted by England and they're afraid of losing him.

The problem is the quality within the Eredivisie differs greatly. I would certainly expect Oxford to beat Cambuur. Oxford United were a decent side this year. It would appear Byrne has had an OK season for them, who scored is used by a lot of scouts and journalists, hardly an exact science but it gives us a rough assessment . People are accused of being hyperbolic about O'Dowda, personally think he is further on in his developed, physically stronger and was the stand out player for the21s when I have watched them, it would appear those in position to judge would agree.
I really hope Byrne can get himself a better loan move next year and develop, especially physically, but to claim he is better than Hoolahan, who whatever my criticisms are is a good and proven footballer, is just lunacy.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:37am

I do not essentially agree with what PinkFloyd2016 is saying, but I can say I am baffled as to why Jack Byrne isn't in the provisional squad (at least) but a League 2 bench player (with great talent as I've seen him play) is there

If he has great talent why did he spend the entire season in league  2. Why did spend most of the season on the bench for a league 2 team . Why hasn't a premier league team come in for him . You don't honestly believe this guy can be a premier league player . He is 21 years old.

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:43am

The problem is the quality within the Eredivisie differs greatly. I would certainly expect Oxford to beat Cambuur. Oxford United were a decent side this year. It would appear Byrne has had an OK season for them, who scored is used by a lot of scouts and journalists, hardly an exact science but it gives us a rough assessment . People are accused of being hyperbolic about O'Dowda, personally think he is further on in his developed, physically stronger and was the stand out player for the21s when I have watched them, it would appear those in position to judge would agree.
I really hope Byrne can get himself a better loan move next year and develop, especially physically, but to claim he is better than Hoolahan, who whatever my criticisms are is a good and proven footballer, is just lunacy.

Under 21's is boys football . If O' Dowd is such a talent why hasn't he replicated this form for his club . More to the point why doesen't the manager pick him .  I have asked this question numerous time and nobody has been able to tell me 

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:47am
Originally posted by Charlo Charlo wrote:

Having watched him for the U21s he has looked a cut above others in the squad and there are bigger clubs watching him. He has great pace and control on the run. Doubt he'd make the squad for the Euros but being included and probably be given a cap which will do no harm to his own prospects for a potential move.

Where is the evidence that there is bigger clubs watching him. There is more to the game than pace and control on the run. 

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:00am
I know nothing about EPL clubs after him but his move to Derby fell through in January and I know Celtic were watching him. I am sure a quick google of his name and both clubs should show something up.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:02am
People are totally getting their knickers in a twist here for the wrong reason. It's great that MON is looking to get young lads involved with the senior team early. O'Dowda won't be near the final 23. But he's probably been the standout u-21 player over the last year, including Byrne. He will move up the leagues and become a senior international for us.

There is absolutely an argument to me that Byrne should be their too, not instead, of O'Dowda.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:10am

I know nothing about EPL clubs after him but his move to Derby fell through in January and I know Celtic were watching him. I am sure a quick google of his name and both clubs should show something up.

And what makes you think he would make it at Derby. If he can't get a first team place with a league 2 side how is going to make it at Derby . 

The way I see it is O' Dowda is 21 . He will be playing league one football next season . If he is too make it to the premier league . He s going to have to start getting first team football and seriously tearing up the league . This guy isn't some youth prospect from liverpool or arsenal who was loaned out to a league 2 team . He is a league 2 player . None of the top scouts rated him . The chances of him ever becoming a premier league player are very slim.

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:17am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

People are totally getting their knickers in a twist here for the wrong reason. It's great that MON is looking to get young lads involved with the senior team early. O'Dowda won't be near the final 23. But he's probably been the standout u-21 player over the last year, including Byrne. He will move up the leagues and become a senior international for us.

There is absolutely an argument to me that Byrne should be their too, not instead, of O'Dowda.

What makes you so sure he will move up the leagues. Ward Prowse and Ravel Morrison were both stand out u21's for England . They are both rotting on the bench for their teams now. So was Jack Grealish and he in my opinion is a far more talented player than O' Dowd.

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:17am
Ok, but even if Cambuur were a worse team than Oxford (I don'tbelieve for a second they are btw), surely you have to take into account the quality of opposition they're playing against each week and not just the quality of their own team? I mean Ajax, PSV,Feyenoord, Twente, Alkmaar etc. are significantly better than any team O'Dowda will have encountered in L2. Anyway, for what it's worth I would have picked both O'Dowda and Byrne for this squad, I'd have picked a whole raft of fringe players in fact as I think it's a great opportunity to do so in a relatively low pressure environment.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:21am

Ok, but even if Cambuur were a worse team than Oxford (I don'tbelieve for a second they are btw), surely you have to take into account the quality of opposition they're playing against each week and not just the quality of their own team? I mean Ajax, PSV,Feyenoord, Twente, Alkmaar etc. are significantly better than any team O'Dowda will have encountered in L2. Anyway, for what it's worth I would have picked both O'Dowda and Byrne for this squad, I'd have picked a whole raft of fringe players in fact as I think it's a great opportunity to do so in a relatively low pressure environment.

You are exactly right and it is a point that all the O Dowda cheerleaders choose to ignore.

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:37am
Agreed, he played some decent sides, which is why a loan move to the Netherlands was good for him. Was far better to go there then a club of similar stature elsewhere; better at Cambuur than Kilmarnock or Accrington. I really want Byrne to do well, I am sure everyone on here does, I hope he gets a decent move next season. We need him to breakthrough next year. He is 20 now so next year is vital for him.

-------------

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:53am
O'Neill is simply bringing the best of the under 21s up to train with the first team. He did it with Byrne and Browne, now he's doing it with O'Dowda. I don't know what people are sh*tting the bed about.

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:15am

Where is the evidence that there is bigger clubs watching him. There is more to the game than pace and control on the run. 
Been told so! Forrester too has 4 EPL clubs watching him every week!

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:25am

Just on the other aspect, I'm aware of what constitutes being a professional footballer and play at a good level which I guess you are hinting at?.....but what he has going for him is ability and certainly those two are some of his good points which are evident in his game if you were ever to go and watch him live......you would see this and in comparison to others playing in the game itself, his league or in leagues above him you will see that some players can't actually do it. A move to Derby fell through in January and he has signed an extension to his current deal.

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 5:47am

+1 nail on the head!

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 6:22am
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

+1 nail on the head!
Correct! The two of them along with Alan Browne are the pick of that bunch just now. Encouraging to have three promising players coming available. Striker and Left Back two areas where we need something to start coming through.

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 7:44am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

O'Neill is simply bringing the best of the under 21s up to train with the first team. He did it with Byrne and Browne, now he's doing it with O'Dowda. I don't know what people are sh*tting the bed about.

Well said

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 8:15am

Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

+1 nail on the head!
Correct! The two of them along with Alan Browne are the pick of that bunch just now. Encouraging to have three promising players coming available. Striker and Left Back two areas where we need something to start coming through.
Courtney Duffus (PL u21 player of the month), Shane Lavery and Sam Bryne all of Everton are ones to look at

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

That is fine in so far as it goes, but I would argue that this is not the training squad to do it in.

But the reality is that if MON is now willing include players in England's 4th tier, and we are not talking about a player on loan there, it becomes difficult to justify not including a specific player in Hollands top flight and the best of the LoI, both of which are higher standards of football.

Its nothing personal against O'Dowda, best of luck to him, but he needs to be playing at a lot higher a level to be in the national setup.

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:53pm
League of Ireland isn't a better standard of football than League 2

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 3:04pm

But it is. There are some relatively big clubs down there in terms of Pompey, Plymouth and Bristol Rovers but I find it very hard to believe Dundalk, Rovers and Cork wouldn't be more than competitive against Newport, Crawley, York, Mansfield, Dagenham and the likes.

How many of our squad came through the LoI and how many every played in L2?

-------------

Posted By: Peter1986
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

But it is. There are some relatively big clubs down there in terms of Pompey, Plymouth and Bristol Rovers but I find it very hard to believe Dundalk, Rovers and Cork wouldn't be more than competitive against Newport, Crawley, York, Mansfield, Dagenham and the likes.

How many of our squad came through the LoI and how many every played in L2?

I agree I think loi is a higher standard than than l2 def the bigger clubs lik Dundalk and rovers would more than hold there own against l2 clubs.

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 4:07pm
Is there ever not a LOI-angle to your posts RTID? It's hilariously desperate and repetive.

Who is there is the LOI under the age of 22 that has displayed more potential than O'Dowda? The answer is that there isn't anyone, hence why none of them were in contention for a call-up

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 4:27pm

Miele for one. In the U21 side as well. Hoare, Lee Desmond, Drennan, Jamie McGrath, Sadlier off the top of my head.

But that is my point, LoI players are not in contention for a call up and its a fair gripe when players at a lower standard start to be.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Miele for one. In the U21 side as well. Hoare, Lee Desmond, Drennan, Jamie McGrath, Sadlier off the top of my head.

But that is my point, LoI players are not in contention for a call up and its a fair gripe when players at a lower standard start to be.
Having been at games at both recently I can assure you it isn't a 'lower standard', some of the better sides would do ok in it , mainly ourselves and Dundalk. Oxford are superior to any team in the league of Ireland and O'Dowda is far superior to any of those players mentioned. I know you are on a wumming mission, I still feel it needed some clarity.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 4:51pm

Is there ever not a LOI-angle to your posts RTID? It's hilariously desperate and repetive.

Who is there is the LOI under the age of 22 that has displayed more potential than O'Dowda? The answer is that there isn't anyone, hence why none of them were in contention for a call-up

Why does he have to be under 22? Wes was in his mid 20s before he really showed his class.
Theres an array of players in the current set up who weren't brought in until their latest 20 and would be classed as late bloomers.
To answer your question I would argue Daryl Horgan (23) is on a par with O'Dowda.
Then previously Forrester & Towell were good enough to be called up to train with the team while playing in the LOI.

Anyone willing to argue that O'Dowda would have got more playing time at Brighton than Towell?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 5:03pm

Why does he have to be under 22? Wes was in his mid 20s before he really showed his class.
Theres an array of players in the current set up who weren't brought in until their latest 20 and would be classed as late bloomers.
To answer your question I would argue Daryl Horgan (23) is on a par with O'Dowda.
Then previously Forrester & Towell were good enough to be called up to train with the team while playing in the LOI.

Anyone willing to argue that O'Dowda would have got more playing time at Brighton than Towell?
Again these sort of debates are ten a penny. From the way Brighton lineup and where they have the greater positional dearth, I would say O'Dowda would have got more games. Towell's signing coincided with more central players. I would agree that Towell showed more than enough form while in Ireland to be in and around the national squad, Horgan perhaps. Both gave worthy performances in Belarus in a game that shouldn't have been ignored.Always felt Forrester drifted out of games in the league of Ireland too much, something he seems to have put right since moving to Peterborough, for that reason I think he could only now be considered a viable option. I did feel, given our paucity of options in the position, that there were natural left-backs such as Massey and Bermingham who could have been looked at for that spot in a friendly.
I certainly believe if a player is clearly playing well above the reasonably decent level he is currently at, he should be considered. I.E LOI, leagues one and two, the SPL or even Cambuur, as the case maybe.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 5:26pm

Because O'Neill has tended to include 1 promising young player in his squads the last few times, so it stands to reason that if there was going to be a LOI player included at O'Dowda's expense, they'd also want to be in their early 20's with the potential to improve.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 6:10pm
I will, Callum O'Dowda would of got more playing time at Brighton then Towell got, please don't make me explain this. 

It's well known O'Dowda turned down Derby County in January as he knew a bigger move is on the cards this summer, Birmingham were having a look also but the wage demands scared them off. 

'Oxford are planning to sanction a sale this summer with Manchester United, Liverpool and Spurs all taking a look at O'Dowda.

But Scottish giants Celtic are also prepared to enter the race and have earmarked him as a replacement for James Forrest.'

Another quote from the Oxford Mail this time when Callum made a comment on the speculation, 

But the side’s superb form means such stories are only likely to increase between now and the end of the January transfer window.

O’Dowda, who made it five goals for the season in the 3-2 win against Yeovil Town on Tuesday night, is well aware of the chatter online, but it has not been a distraction so far.

“Not for me, no,” he said. “I don’t know if it is for other players, but I just try to block all that stuff away.

“Obviously people are talking about it but I just say ‘leave it alone’.

“I just like to focus on what I’m doing and the way I’m playing.”

O’Dowda’s sights are firmly on tomorrow’s Sky Bet League Two clash at home to Carlisle United.

Callum O'Dowda is currently better and has far more potential then Hogan, that starts another debate is League 2 better then the LOI.. well i'd compare the SPL to League 1, so L2 is on par if not better then the league of Ireland to put that in perspective could Dundalk defeat Swansea? Oxford did. Could Bray Wanderers hold Manchester United? Cambridge did if i go by that logic which is based on fact, then Yes it is. LOI would be more par with Conference and Championship in Scotland.  Comparing the LOI to the standard in the top 4 divisions in England is stupid most L2 teams have better infrastructure and a bigger fan base the assumption it is as good as L2 is based simply because you're a LOI fan. 
I'd love to whole heartily agree saying the LOI is as good as L2 if not some L1 teams, but its not true. 

He has the potential and id say attitude to be the next Dele Ali or John Stones both of which came from the Lower Leagues. 

Most Ireland fans don't watch L2 football, as its not televised you see clips on Channel 5 unless you've watched a few games of O'Dowdas is fairly stupid to make any type of comparison. Great future ahead for this young man, hopefully the big move comes this summer on that note id also hope Jack Byrne gets to Ajax or PSV who were rumoured to be looking at him if not gets to a championship side or lower PL and Forrester pushes upwards. There is a number of players on the brink of becoming first team stars at large clubs the likes of Toner etc, great for Irish football! Hopefully in the next WC campaign and future campaigns these guys are on the team sheet. 

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 6:50pm
I wouldn't be a fan of using individual match results to argue a point as anything can really happen in a one off game and it isn't proof one way or the other. However the difference between full time professional football and part time is monumental. Granted some players and clubs may be pretty much full time but the league isn't and it has a crazy four month off season, 38 week contracts etc. I'd also put the LOI premier, as a division, on par with the conference not league 2.

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

I wouldn't be a fan of using individual match results to argue a point as anything can really happen in a one off game and it isn't proof one way or the other. However the difference between full time professional football and part time is monumental. Granted some players and clubs may be pretty much full time but the league isn't and it has a crazy four month off season, 38 week contracts etc. I'd also put the LOI premier, as a division, on par with the conference not league 2.

I think that's a fair enough assessment.
Theres possibly 2 or 3 sides that could hold their own in league 2 but the same could be said about the National League (what the conference is called now).
As we've seen though give the top LOI players a full time set up and they can prosper.
Talking about caps is probably putting the ass before the cart. The league is at a low ebb.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 6:57pm

Theres possibly 2 or 3 sides that could hold their own in league 2 but the same could be said about the National League (what the conference is called now).
As we've seen though give the top LOI players a full time set up and they can prosper.
Talking about caps is probably putting the ass before the cart. The league is at a low ebb.
Agreed.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 6:58pm

The Dundalk team of the last 2 years would tear the arse outta any team in league2, and probably a lot of teams in League 1

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net