You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Qualification Group D Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 190>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 9:08am
Man Utd analogy is laughable. They were a great club well before Ferguson and they aimed to get back to those heights and were well paced to do it. 4 top 4 finishes under Atkinson and FA Cups in 83 and 85 and players like Robson, Anderson, Whiteside, Strachan, McGrath & Moran. Talk sense.

Your clutching at straws to criticse ONeill. Not beating higher ranked teams home or way for 14 and 29 years respectively as f*** all to do with ONeill and this team. One campaign - qualification secured and progression to knock out phase. Second campaign - joint top of group having played group leaders away.

Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Man Utd analogy is laughable. They were a great club well before Ferguson and they aimed to get back to those heights and were well paced to do it. 4 top 4 finishes under Atkinson and FA Cups in 83 and 85 and players like Robson, Anderson, Whiteside, Strachan, McGrath & Moran. Talk sense.

Your clutching at straws to criticse ONeill. Not beating higher ranked teams home or way for 14 and 29 years respectively as f*** all to do with ONeill and this team. One campaign - qualification secured and progression to knock out phase. Second campaign - joint top of group having played group leaders away.

Take Aberdeen then. 

Where did I say it was O'Neill's fault that we hadn't won away in 30 years??  Are you actually suggesting I said that?? Embarrassed

What I am saying is O'Neill's talking down our chances in the press does have an effect on expectations and perpetuates the hopeless run of years where we havent the balls to win away because we have psyched ourselves out if it.  Whether he tells the players another thing or not,  telling the press over and over how difficult the upcoming game will be has to have an effect. Telling us that a win away would almost be a beyond expectations ''I think that any team that wins away from home in this group will have done very, very well.”   Why?Confused  It's a game of football against teams of similar level. Do you think Serbia are convincing themselves that a win in Dublin would be a near miracle? When I read that line it tells me that a win away is not realistic in O'Neill's view. I know he states 'any team' but it's implicit that he is referring to us winning in Serbia or anywhere else.  In my opinion he is telling the press and us the people of Ireland that a win in Serbia is not in the offering and we should be delighted with a point. 

Can I ask what is the point of attempting (in vain) to lower the expectations of the press? Does he think that by saying ''Georgia at home is will be very difficult and that they can take points off teams makes it acceptable not to beat them at home or that the press will go easier on him had they no beat Georgia?   Rubbish.  Making excuses beforehand if it goes tits up is what it is.  I think that can have an effect on the players.

On the other hand this is the type of thing the Serbia coach is telling the press. This is what I think a coach should be saying:

Muslin, for his part, said that his side will look to beat the visitors and get three early points on the board: “Serbia will be going into each match playing for a win whether we play at home, whether we play away. But especially since our first match in the qualifiers is at home, we will be going for the three points.

State your objectives. Don't hide it or beat around the bush.  If you achieve it you achieve it.  If you don't you don't. End of story.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 4:31pm
We also play to win and MON has said many times before that he wants to win every game. He has also acknowledged when a game will be tough and that a point could be a decent result at times which has turned out to be justified. We beat Georgia, Georgia beat Scotland. We drew with Serbia, Serbia beat Austria. We beat Georgia, Georgia draw with Wales. You can bet your arse that the Scottish, Austrian and Welsh fans wouldn't give a sh*t what their manager said if they had got the results we got!
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 6:53am
You've referred to ONeill talking the team down in media interviews and in the same breath your referring to previous Ireland times not winning at home or away - you've done it in your last post too. The performance of previous managers and teams is irrelevant so yes I do feel you are bringing up previous teams and managers to muddy the waters and strengthen your own arguement. c

If you want to criticise ONeill as Ireland manager stick to 2013 to the present dacrcy. Perhaps also consider sticking to results but I suppose when you stick to anything of relevance there isn't a whole lot left to criticise.

The managers interviews with the media have nothing to do with the teams performances. International players dont actually listen back to Tony ODonoghoes interviews.
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 7:01am
Neglected to answer your question - the reasons for dampening expectation in the press are obvious. Higher expectation leads to higher pressure. He wants to take the pressure off the team and consequently the possibility of getting sacked too.

You see several managers do this. Jim Gavin for instance. Always humble always respectfall. Putting out your stall and saying you want and expect to win x, y and z publically does f*** all to benefit you. Look at Scotland in '78 and Mayo since '89.

Im sure there are plenty of examples of teams who said theyd win and the delivered but you cant seriously suggest that this benefits a team in anyway?
CCronin View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote CCronin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 7:42am
Sorry to clog up the thread but how many points do i need to be able to send a PM ? 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 9:34am
So he cant handle being favourites against Georgia? At home?

Dampen expectations and pressure in the media? Does he really thinkbthat the media will give him a free pass for failing to beat Georgia at home or Moldova away? Does he actually belive he can convince the public and media that a draw wouldn't be a bad result against a minnow at home when only the group winners of this group will qualify?

As for the pre match media. Are there or are there not 1 -2 players rolled out in the days before the game either alone or with O Neill who trot out the lines that there are no easy games in international football and trying to convince all and sundry how points will be dropped everywhere and that a point wouldnt be the worst result. I think they talk up opponents too much to the point where they think a win would be an amazing result.

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 9:43am
Originally posted by o_faz o_faz wrote:

Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

We don't have the balls to win a group.  Even if we are in pole position with a 2 or 3 games to go I can see us snatching the playoff spot from the jaws of victory.

We have a serious lack of belief that we can be group winners.   Might be wrong but I don't think I have heard MON once say this is a winnable group.

We seem to set our sights low.  We try to 'nick' a playoff spot. 

I hate when I hear our manager talking about 'nicking a goal' as if doing so would be against the run of play, against what is expected, against all odds as if we are a loser team who hope to fluke the ball into the net and somehow get out of dodge.  He talks about nicking goals against average teams. 

We should be talking ourselves up more. Its not technical or physical ability that has never seen us win away against anyone of decent ability in 30 years, and Scotland in 1987 were not really a top team at all even though they had some good players.  Its pure inferiority complex bred into us.

Irish Times, 5th Sept 2016:

------------------

I don't get why this is an issue for you. I couldn't care less what MON says to the media, its what he says to the players. The biggest insight into what he is telling them comes from interviews they do during the week. When they state 6 points is our target from the next two games, or that they are targeting a win in a big game, its definitely due to the manager drumming that into their heads from the moment they arrive in Dublin. You think the manager is some sort of eejit gombeen man, bumbling around in the job, not knowing what he is up to, giving the team no inspiration. The results don't reflect that. The style of play has been at times terrible, but one thing you can't throw at Martin O'Neill is questioning his abilities as a motivator. 

Do you think MON wants to give Chris Coleman a quote to stick up on the tactics board before the next game? "We're very lucky to have Wales as a first seed, when it could have been  Germany or Spain or France or Portugal. Nothing less than a win will do against Wales because really they only have a few good players, and I was surprised they got the semi finals of the Euros".

He is an experienced manager, he's cuter than you think.

Completely agree with what you've just said Rolo. I couldn't believe the Austria manager coming out with the 'lucky' jibe about Wales 2 days before their game - you've effectively done the job of motivating the opposition for them (and Coleman clearly does plenty of that anyhow).

MON can be as boring as he wants to the press. In an era where the press cast an ever increasing 'all seeing eye' over every minute bit of information that comes out of everyones mouth his complete lack of giving the game away is what impresses me most.

I do wonder whether people would prefer us to try and play nice attractive football and fail to qualify or to be dogged, determined and sometimes a little lucky and sneak our way in there.

I'd also add that its unfair to say we 'lack the bottle' to win a group - I think we have a decent squad but with limitations and that you do the quality that the other teams in the group possess a disservice.

If things fall right we can win the group and the mindset of the players Im sure is to go out and win every game, but we simply arent good enough to do that imo - Id take a point in Austria right now but does that mean Im being negative or realistic?

Exactly....

What happens behind closed doors is way more important than in the press.
Its the same for training sessions v "friendly" matches.

Its a results business and MON has done everything we have asked of him.

Beat a top seed - Done
Qualify for France - Done
Get out of group - Done

It may not be pretty but we never were.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 9:44am
TJ it's hardly a surprise an Irish manager is trying to take the pressure of a third tier average European team when we are not out and out favourites when it comes to taking on sides like Georgia who have improved and had the ability to cost a team of similar limitations as us (Scotland) qualification to a major tournament.

We don't know what MON is saying behind closed doors but if we get positive results while he's taking a cautious approach then so what as long as the results are coming in. He's obviously trying to avoid any complacency which is what I expect the Welsh may have had when they played Georgia. Georgia have shown they're no pushover and O'Neill was right to err caution.

Were you getting as bent out of shape when we criminally threw away a win at home to Austria and trap was saying we were still in a good position and that we weren't Brazil or Germany?

If MON came out with that after a game we should've won, you'd be straight on here screaming from the rooftops about it.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 11:15am
Not out and out favourites? We have a 100% record against them. Ok they can be a bit difficult to overcome but we always manage it in the end. O'Neill was getting his excuses in early.

Wales slipped up because they were missing 2 of yheir best players. We all know that the majority of their squad is pretty poor. Everyone has said if you take Bale out of that team (Id include Ramsay and Allen) that they are an average side at best. We have been lucky. We played Serbia with their 2 best players missing and Wales played Georgia with 2 of their best players missing. I dont put that down to O Neill cleverly talking up his opponents and Wales not.

That kind of talking up your opponents was a bit of a ploy from the pre mass television coverage days where nobody knew what a far away team like Georgia were like especially the media or public who had never seen them play. Only the manager might have seen them after a scouting trip to see them play in person and he could build up a picture of their quality to the media who would relay it to the public. If he made them out to be a great side then a draw or win would hqve gleefully been accepted. If je lost the media might go easy. That doesnt wash anymore. Its not the 1970's or 1980's. We know Georgia or whoever. Theres no pulling the wool over our eyes.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 11:28am

Not out and out favourites? We have a 100% record against them. Ok they can be a bit difficult to overcome but we always manage it in the end. O'Neill was getting his excuses in early.

Wales slipped up because they were missing 2 of yheir best players. We all know that the majority of their squad is pretty poor. Everyone has said if you take Bale out of that team (Id include Ramsay and Allen) that they are an average side at best. We have been lucky. We played Serbia with their 2 best players missing and Wales played Georgia with 2 of their best players missing. I dont put that down to O Neill cleverly talking up his opponents and Wales not.

That kind of talking up your opponents was a bit of a ploy from the pre mass television coverage days where nobody knew what a far away team like Georgia were like especially the media or public who had never seen them play. Only the manager might have seen them after a scouting trip to see them play in person and he could build up a picture of their quality to the media who would relay it to the public. If he made them out to be a great side then a draw or win would hqve gleefully been accepted. If je lost the media might go easy. That doesnt wash anymore. Its not the 1970's or 1980's. We know Georgia or whoever. Theres no pulling the wool over our eyes.
You're doing Georgia a disservice here as they may well have got a draw anyway in Cardiff.

That 100% record doesn't take away from the fact that we're playing a much improved side that has the ability give teams like ourselves Wales and Austria a real scare which they have done.

Traoppatoni was always advising caution just like MON and I don't remember you ever having a moan about that.

You're scraping the barrel criticising because results have gone our way albeit with a bit of fortune against Serbia & Georgia.

I'd rather take the MON cautious approach rather than the Trump-like bluster you want him to engage in becuase if it blows up in his face after a defeat, you'll on here nailing MON to a wall.

It's a win-win for you next month because if we win or get a good result, it's a huge boost for our qualification prosoects but f we lose, yourself and Planning will be on here in overdrive with your anti-MON bias for the next 6 months. Dead

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 11:35am
Where have I said an arrogant approach or Trump like pre game bluster is what I am after?? I'd like to see this mysterious post I made.

I have said probably for the umpteenth time now that we should not be talking up our opponents yo the point we make them out to be better than they are and psych ourselves out of picking up points that could otherwise have been attained with more self belief and a little less respect for the opponents. I never once talked about dissing or being disrespectful of opponents. There is nothing disrespectful about stating we ant to win every game (who doesnt!) and that we play to win every game.

You and your fellow posters accuse me of not focusing on the ONeill era so why do you lads keep bringing up Trapattoni?

I'm here to discuss O'Neill not Trapattoni.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 11:47am

Where have I said an arrogant approach or Trump like pre game bluster is what I am after?? I'd like to see this mysterious post I made. We should be winning this game and we should be winning that game. This is the type of stuff you want the Ireland manager to come out with as if he was managing Germany. He's completely right to take the pressure of a limited Irish side.

I have said probably for the umpteenth time now that we should not be talking up our opponents yo the point we make them out to be better than they are and psych ourselves out of picking up points that could otherwise have been attained with more self belief and a little less respect for the opponents. I never once talked about dissing or being disrespectful of opponents. There is nothing disrespectful about stating we ant to win every game (who doesnt!) and that we play to win every game. O'Neill actually has said on numerous occasions that we try to win every game

You and your fellow posters accuse me of not focusing on the ONeill era so why do you lads keep bringing up Trapattoni? Not focusing on the MON era? If anythuing you focus too much on it with your level of obsession on MON by holding his feet to the fire that you would never dream of with your hero Trap. Why don't you answer my question as to why you weren't outraged/critical of Trap's similar cautious approach in interviews to the point you are with MON?

I'm here to discuss O'Neill not Trapattoni. At least be consistent in your criticism of Irish managers bigging up their opponents because Trap was just as guilty of it.

Pidgin English aside, was Trap right to have the cautious line that O'Neill takes?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 11:55am
Different era. We had been in the wilderness for years. Trap got results. I was happy to take them after 6 years under Kerr and Stan. After Euro 2012 it was time for a change. Better football to go with results. Its called progression. I dont see any contradiction.   

O'Neills style was known to anyone who knows football before he got the job. We signed up to continue hoofing it for another few years when we got him.

I expect a poor display in Austria because history under O'Neill suggests it. A draw at best the way we play.

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:02pm
TJ, you can't have made your stance any clearer. At this stage, you're spamming the thread. 
El Puto Amo
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:15pm

Different era. We had been in the wilderness for years. Trap got results. I was happy to take them after 6 years under Kerr and Stan. After Euro 2012 it was time for a change. Better football to go with results. Its called progression. I dont see any contradiction.   

O'Neills style was known to anyone who knows football before he got the job. We signed up to continue hoofing it for another few years when we got him.

I expect a poor display in Austria because history under O'Neill suggests it. A draw at best the way we play.

Kerr got results too he has the highest win % of any manager (Unfortunately mostly friendlies)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

TJ, you can't have made your stance any clearer. At this stage, you're spamming the thread. 

If people want me to answer their posts (*which they have) I will answer it.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:52pm

Ahh ffs TJ, give me a break LOL

Basically so it doesn't matter, because if Trap had a cautious attitude and approach with the media, then that's okay, but if MON does, it's not.

We get it. You don't like O'Neill and you're just waiting to unleash you're incessant criticism once the results are convenient for you.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 190>
  Share Topic