Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Qualification Group D Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 190>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:45am
We finished 3rd in tha last campaign. Not something to write home about. We have been consistently poor especially away from home. O'Neill is a good man manager and seems to be able to get his teams motivated but from viewing his whole career thats about it. No tactical nous, no instilling of good play, just pure agricultural stuff like he has used everywhere. If Emile Heskey was Irish he'd be playing right now.

We are surviving on team spirit alone. Seems to always be the way.

Fair enough you can say Trap was lucky but the same can be said of O'Neill. Scotland self destructing, 3rd becoming good enough to get a playoff which was not the norm until last year. Getting a terrible Bosnia side, getting the fog, having results go in our favour in the euros that meant Italy could play a second string side with nothing to play for etc...

Getting Serbia when 2 of their best players were missing..Colemans flukey goal against Georgia...

O'Neill has had no shortage of luck.

Edited by Trap junior - 10 Oct 2016 at 11:51am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

We finished 3rd in tha last campaign. Not something to write home about. We have been consistently poor especially away from home. O'Neill is a good man manager and seems to be able to get his teams motivated but from viewing his whole career thats about it. No tactical nous, no instilling of good play, just pure agricultural stuff like he has used everywhere. If Emile Heskey was Irish he'd be playing right now.

We are surviving on team spirit alone. Seems to always be the way.

Fair enough you can say Trap was lucky but the same can be said of O'Neill. Scotland self destructing, 3rd becoming good enough to get a playoff which was not the norm until last year. Getting a terrible Bosnia side, getting the fog, having results go in our favour in the euros that meant Italy could play a second string side with nothing to play for etc...

Getting Serbia when 2 of their best players were missing.

O'Neill has had no shortage of luck.

Point taken, but I think the consistent "luck" that O'Neill has had cannot be explained away so easily.

Yes, we finished 3rd in the group last time out, but we did beat Germany, eak out a draw against Poland while dominating the second half, scored late goals in Germany and Georgia (a mark of resilience to my mind), and I feel we beat Bosnia on merit, rather than anything to do with them being "terrible". Bosnia had a half-way impressive World Cup, and I would suggest that the fog had a cancelling effect rather than benefitting either team. Scotland losing in Georgia is also more explicable now after the past month, than it may have been seen at the time, hence, I wouldn't see it as self-destruction in the same vein as Armenia and Estonia in 2011.

I would also place less reliance on the concept of the "Second String" Italy team. That was a strong team they put out with plenty of experienced, and decorated players. Winning that game, particularly with what our team was, and what it had come off the back of was an achievement. A 0-0 draw would have been curtains, and less impressive. We needed the win and we got it.

Like i said, I agree that O'Neill's style is limited, but I feel the luck aspect is refutable in the detail. The degree to which Trapp rode his luck was something unprecedented, while O'Neill seems to be more in the habit of actually achieving results without resorting to red cards nobbling teams, or dumb luck keeping the ball from going into the net.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 12:02pm
The quote "The more I train, the luckier I get" springs to mind!

You can't list off everything that went in our favour and write it off as luck. We have had some awful luck ourselves over the years but that is part of the game.

If Wales qualify ahead of us this campaign, nobody will be on here defending MON and saying how 'unlucky' he is that Wales managed to get out of Cardiff with a draw against Georgia but if we finish ahead of Wales, this place will be full of clowns saying MON is lucky because Wales failed to beat Georgia at home.
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 12:08pm

[/QUOTE]

In fairness though, there comes a point where it becomes more than luck, particularly when it occurs on a repeated basis. Its not like in the days of Trappatoni where we inexplicably took a result in Moscow, when Russia didn't want to score, or Armenia and Estonia self destructed on the biggest night of their footballing lives. We rode out luck infinitely more with Trappatoni, and the detail of those games speaks for itself.

With O'Neill, we have achieved results against Germany, Italy, and Bosnia who are all strong teams, while we have played very well in large portions of games against Poland (in Dublin), and Sweden/France in the Euros, only to be undone by a relative lack of ambition. The draw against Serbia was a good showing of resilience, while we could also view the Georgia game through the prism of James McClean's header which hit the bar. Last night's result also had little to do with luck, and more to do with resilience.

I do take the point that the tactics are limited, and that luck has played a part, but there is a serious patten in Ireland's results under O'Neill, which require more than constant rubs of the green to achieve.
[/QUOTE]
Fair point - there were 3 or 4 occasions in the second half the crowd were out of their seats for decent chances.. It wasn't just a case of having once flukey chance and taking it..
window.post_1476097526798_16 = function(win,msg){ win.postMessage(msg,"*"); }window.post_1476097528754_41 = function(win,msg){ win.postMessage(msg,"*"); }
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

The quote "The more I train, the luckier I get" springs to mind!

You can't list off everything that went in our favour and write it off as luck. We have had some awful luck ourselves over the years but that is part of the game.

If Wales qualify ahead of us this campaign, nobody will be on here defending MON and saying how 'unlucky' he is that Wales managed to get out of Cardiff with a draw against Georgia but if we finish ahead of Wales, this place will be full of clowns saying MON is lucky because Wales failed to beat Georgia at home.

+1

Nobody is that lucky. We've been making our own luck. Equally we've had about as much bad luck - not getting i dont even know how many penalties at the Euros and one against Georgia, getting a shocking pen given against us in Belgrade, Maloney's goal in Dublin coming off O'Shea's arse. We're hardly the luckiest team ever to play the game and you can't pin everything we've done or even a large portion of it on luck. If it coming off the bar for the Georgians was 'lucky' there are even more strokes of bad luck we've had by the same token - Hendrick v Sweden, McClean in the same Georgia game. If they're lucky escapes for us then looking at it fairly they're unlucky against us. We're no more lucky than any other team.

and third didn't 'become good enough to get a playoff' the night after we played Bosnia. We knew exactly what we had to get in order to qualify and we did it. Bosnia also aren't a terrible side and the general consensus on here was they were the team to avoid apart from Ukraine. They also comfortably beat Euros semi-finalists Wales at home shortly before they played us so they can't be that bad

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 10 Oct 2016 at 12:58pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 1:21pm
7 points from 9 is excellent start. Beating Georgia at home is no gimme and is good result. Away point to Serbia is excellent result. And I am very happy with Moldova result!

When we press we look an excellent team. We did this against Georgia in the second half and we were decent. We did it against Serbia when we went 2-1 down and created 4 chances in 10 minutes. The frustration is when we drop off we are rubbish.........so why do we continually do it. First half against Georgia, most of the game against Serbia......

If we can get the finger out and press the game high up the pitch against Austria away I would have no worries about us. 
It's not me it's you:-)
Vepkhistqaosani View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vepkhistqaosani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Stating the obvious here but Georgia will ultimately decide who gets out of this group and looking at their next 4 fixtures - Moldova Home, Serbia Home, Moldova Away, Ireland Home, I wouldn't write them off getting 8-10 points there. They may end up finishing in the top 3 themselves leaving 2 of the 'big' 4 looking up at them!

If Moldova get a new manager and get their act together, they may become the tough nut to crack again. Hopefully in time for Wales and Austria's visits.

Lets look at some facts: Last four games of Georgia: 
Spain v Georgia 0:1
Georgia v Austria 1:2
Ireland v Georgia 1:0
Wales v Georgia 1:1

In these last four matches Georgia made some progress. And in each of these games there was more positive than negative. 

In the last three matches ball possession (against Wales 50/50) and attempts on goal were better than that of opponents. And everywhere everyone noticed that Georgia played better football than opponents and could have won (or at least take a point).

What is realistic now for Georgia? 
Georgia must do their best and be fourth. They really can do this according to the game they showed, according to the progress they made in these matches. And clearly it wasn't just one game. And it means manager had done some work and players had worked on themselves before and after the games.

"What's next"? And this would be fantastic.
As it was said Georgia has two games at home. One in November against Moldova, then in March against Serbia, then in June again against Moldova away, and when again home. After these successful performances, if Georgia manages to beat Moldova at home, and if the manager continues to work with boys at this pace or at least will not slow down, then against Serbia (which was/is considered weaker than Wales, Ireland, or Austria) stadium will be full, Georgia will have wholehearted support of the crowd, and at home it is a real possibility to beat them (from this point of view). And then again match against Moldova (which is considered the weakest but may offer some surprises) which also is real possibility. So Georgia has ahead of them three "easiest" matches (at least as it seems now and as it seemed at the beginning of the qualifiers). So, behind three toughest matches in which Georgia showed quite a performance and "grow themselves and grow confidence" with a new manager and new playing style (which is more possession, more goal attempts, using more technical skills etc. of which Georgian football has history and footballers - ability ) and ahead are these three matches and plus match against Ireland at home. And lets don't talk now about overall assessment of this three games (because in sum its just really a big dream) but once again ask what is possible, yes or no. Can Georgia beat Moldova at home after these performances (which were accomplished not by chance) - Yes, Georgia can do this. Can Georgia beat Serbia at home? Yes they can do this. And again in Moldova? - Yes they can. And so, now against Ireland. Georgia almost won the game in Dublin. At least they could make a draw. Two years ago Ireland managed two take a win from Georgia, but it was last minute goal and they hardly deserved that. And that time Georgia was "another team", other manager, other playing style, and in September it can be absolutely different game. If what i was talking in terms of "dreaming" was somehow reasonable, then against Ireland Georgia will be motivated and confident. And I dare say I am talking now about four wins (3 home games and one away with Moldova)(And two of which against Moldova and two against not "big favourites" of the group) Because still Wales and Austria are favourites at least to me. (Because Austria hasn't yet played against Moldova. Because Wales didn't have Ramsey and Allen, because Wales and Austria (big teams) played draw against each other.)

These four matches in sum could be a dreaming, but one in one if Georgia approach each of these games correctly they have ability and motivation to do this. So, for Georgia not only third place may be a possibility(because fourth is real possibility according to these facts), but even second too. But for now, this is not important. Some contours of the future has outlined. That is, what kind of football is best fit to us and what can make result after some training, experience etc. And what is important, Georgia plays beautiful football. 

C'mon boys. You just do what you are doing and result will come! In fact, we already see it! midit bichebo! 

Edited by Vepkhistqaosani - 10 Oct 2016 at 2:46pm
Maybe fortune decided so:Ireland desperately need points when they visit Georgia.And they experience what brothers Scots did:The irony of fate &a perfect revenge.Wake me up when September comes!(Grin)
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 2:45pm
Georgia will take 6 points easily off Moldova. Comfortably better side. Could yet have more of a say in how the group ends up too
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 2:52pm
I actually think a draw between Georgia and Wales was a better result for us than a Georgia win. If Georgia won they would be in with a serious chance of getting a play off whereas now they still have a event shot but are still dark horses at best.
Hi Lads
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 4:29pm
the top seeds in the group took 2 points from this double-header, from the 2nd and 6th seeds. And they were lucky they didn't come away with 0 points. Never will we have a better opportunity to win a group.

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

the top seeds in the group took 2 points from this double-header, from the 2nd and 6th seeds. And they were lucky they didn't come away with 0 points. Never will we have a better opportunity to win a group.

We've gotten a real opportunity here - especially considering we were fourth seeds, and could have drawn a group that would have had us close to eliminated before a ball was kicked. There is very little between the 4 of us and we've managed to stick our noses in front of the top 2 seeds in the early going.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 10 Oct 2016 at 4:38pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

I actually think a draw between Georgia and Wales was a better result for us than a Georgia win. If Georgia won they would be in with a serious chance of getting a play off whereas now they still have a event shot but are still dark horses at best.

That must be some good stuff you are smoking!!!

Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

That must be some good stuff you are smoking!!!

Armenia euro 2012...thats all I'm saying and Georgia are a better side than that Armenian side.
Hi Lads
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 12:51am
Think Austria may have too much for us and we will narrowly lose the game. Expect Georgia to beat Moldova and Wales/Serbia is a hard one to call but i think Wales will scrape it. If we lose than the table will look like this (Wales top on 8 pts, ourselves, Austria and Serbia joint 2nd with 7pts each and Georgia 5th (4pts), Moldova 6th

Win/Lose/Draw in Austria 2016 was an unreal year for us overall 
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 1:01am
Lets not go into that Austria game thinking we will lose, Austria are on par with us and we should be going over there thinking if we do our jobs well we can nick it. There defence is shocking and with them being under severe pressure to beat us if anything they will be weaker at the back if things start going against them during the match. Georgia will beat Moldova and I think Serbia will have too much for Wales. As for us, if we play well I think we will get at least a draw out of the match leaving the table like this

Serbia - 10
Ireland - 8(Possibly 10)
Austria - 5(possibly 4)
Wales - 5
Georgia - 4
Moldova - 0.

If we win we can derail Austria's campaign leaving 1 less team to worry about which should be the other big reason why we should go out for 3 points.
Hi Lads
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 8:19am

Lets not go into that Austria game thinking we will lose, Austria are on par with us and we should be going over there thinking if we do our jobs well we can nick it. There defence is shocking and with them being under severe pressure to beat us if anything they will be weaker at the back if things start going against them during the match. Georgia will beat Moldova and I think Serbia will have too much for Wales. As for us, if we play well I think we will get at least a draw out of the match leaving the table like this

Serbia - 10
Ireland - 8(Possibly 10)
Austria - 5(possibly 4)
Wales - 5
Georgia - 4
Moldova - 0.

If we win we can derail Austria's campaign leaving 1 less team to worry about which should be the other big reason why we should go out for 3 points.
+1
I saw nothing in this Austrian team at the Euros that we can't handle
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 8:46am
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Serbia - 10
Ireland - 8(Possibly 10)
Austria - 5(possibly 4)
Wales - 5
Georgia - 4
Moldova - 0.

+1
I saw nothing in this Austrian team at the Euros that we can't handle

They were awful in the Euros but awesome in qualifying for it, They won 2-1 in Georgia and were lucky to hold on but these days,that is no surprise,against Wales they scored another 2 goals ,a draw was probably a fair result but it could have gone either way,they scored another 2 in Serbia and lost when they could have had a different result, my point is ,they are creating lots of chances and scoring goals, Arnoutovic and Janko will cause all sorts of problems for us and we have to have an error free game at the back,on the positive side,their defense is struggling and as i mentioned earlier, Fuchs retiring is a huge loss,Tadic ran the show for Serbia on Sunday,his clever creative passes opened them up and Mitrovic scored 2 from Tadic assists and it was Tadic who hit the winner,Wes can definitely do that,sadly though ,i doubt he will play in Vienna.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 2:17am
Austria are a serious side alright.  Top Bundesliga regulars plus Alaba and Arnautovic.

Funny thing with Georgia is if they play like they did second half in Cardiff, they could get nine points from the next 3 games.  Home and away v Moldova think they will win easily, and home to Serbia they have a real chance. 

Too early to write them off.  We could be going to Tblisi with them on 10 points and back in the race!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 190>
  Share Topic