You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Civil Reception in Belfast with the Nordies?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by peterbelfast peterbelfast wrote:

Recognised by the council who represent the people from the city.The reality is both teams are supported widely in the city so why not have both teams honoured. Tbh I don't care what reaction loyalists will have too it and if their paltry protest is anything to go by, it looks like most people give zero fudge. Any initiative that recognises both traditions in Belfast is a positive thing as far as I am concerned.

sure invite the Poles while your at it ?
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sponsored Links

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:30pm
I'd say the players will be absolutely ecstatic with this...great chance to get their photo taken and look awkward...Jonny Walters has dreamed about the day he would be at a civic reception in Belfast since he was born. Such a stupid idea

Edited by thebronze14 - 05 Jan 2016 at 10:31pm
peterbelfast View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterbelfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Recognised by the council who represent the people from the city.The reality is both teams are supported widely in the city so why not have both teams honoured. Tbh I don't care what reaction loyalists will have too it and if their paltry protest is anything to go by, it looks like most people give zero fudge. Any initiative that recognises both traditions in Belfast is a positive thing as far as I am concerned.

That's just a silly statement, taking politics out it what possible opposition could u have to the event.

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:49pm

That's just a silly statement, taking politics out it what possible opposition could u have to the event.

You cant take politics out of it , it is the elephant in the room

I disliked the petty vindictive tokenism from the unionist side when they name rename streets/hospitials  over royals just to get one over themmuns eg Lady Diana Materntiy Ward, Prince William Close and equally dislike it when it come from our side
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
peterbelfast View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterbelfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 11:14pm

You cant take politics out of it , it is the elephant in the room

I disliked the petty vindictive tokenism from the unionist side when they name rename streets/hospitials  over royals just to get one over themmuns eg Lady Diana Materntiy Ward, Prince William Close and equally dislike it when it come from our side

I suppose it's all down to interpretation, u can see it in a cyclical light, viewing it as a spot of politicking or electioneering. Personally I view it as another step towards making Belfast more inclusive and respective of each others traditions . I can still remember when wearing an Ireland top in the city centre made u a target so Belfast has certainly progressed and that can't be a bad thing. As far as having 2 teams and the legitimacy of Northern Ireland, well that's another issue but at the moment we can only deal with the here and now. In all likelihood the Irish team problem won't be able to attend and just send somebody from he fai anyway

Tyronebhoy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by lexie_2005 lexie_2005 wrote:

Lots of Norn Iron fans are actively trying to get rid off GSTQ,There is a subforum on OWC to aid this.
It seems to bother more on here than it does Northern Ireland fans!

It's always been an odd choice of anthem for them as it contains not a single reference to Northern Ireland in the lyrics (it's mainly about the head of state, refers to 'Britain' in verse 5 and has a dig at the Scots in verse 6).

Not an odd choice at all. Since the failed statelet was set up unionists have taken every opportunity to rub the noses of the fenians in it, they can't help themselves, it's just a natural extension of that
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 11:35pm
There's no doubt this is electioneering and pot stirring, I'm usually not down with that but I have to say it's great!! unionist politicians are just getting a taste of there own medicine. Like some of the owc fans on here they are just pissed they can't hog the limelight. Could you imagine the crying if snow patrol turned up in Ireland shirts, the halfwits loved there gig in Poland last time

Edited by armahibee - 05 Jan 2016 at 11:37pm
Scamper View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 12:15am
Name 2 other countries that would celebrate qualifying for a major tournament together??
Brazil and Argentina - NO
Sweden & Norway - NO

Not even Wales & England - NO

And just because we have an All Ireland rugby team, that means shag all, when it comes to football we are 2 seperate nations and lets keep it that way.

If people feel they are British, by all means let them celebrate Northern Ireland qualifying and more power to them, and visa versa, if people feel they are Irish then lets celebrate the ROI qualifying.
I understand there is friends and family that are split and suppor
t one or the other, well then let them celebrate the fact that the team they do support did well, why should they be bothered with the one they don't support.
And also for the players from the North who chose to play for us, why should they be bothered the celebrate the fact the country they didn't want to play for qualified.

It is just asking for trouble and to be honest from what i have seen and heard of the Northern Irish fans from times gone by, i would rather nothing to do with them. Thanks very much. That is my opinion

As for Northern Ireland not being a country, in the eyes of politics it is a constituent of the UK i understand that. But in the eyes of UEFA or Football they are as much a country as the rest of us. They are still taking 1 of the 24 places in France, they will still bring their own independent fans, and will still want to beat any team they play.

I think this is a brutal idea
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:40pm
It's a different political situation.

Brazil is not part of Argentine and Argentina is not made up of players from Brazil etc...

The ROI team is made up of and supported by players and fans from all counties too.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. The fact that only 5 people got up off their hole and protested shows that maybe it's not that big a deal.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 2:09pm

The FAI should send this fella up for the reception, and get him to put a tricolour on the City Hall while he's up there

Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 3:34pm
He'd struggle to climb up for the buffet, let alone onto the roof.

Probably more mobile than Robbie Keane though.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

You might wanna duck under the desk for a while after that shout, some of the lads won't take that well LOL
El Puto Amo
daffyp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daffyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 4:30pm

Come back to us when Kyle laugh-at-me has as many international goals as Robbie 😘
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 4:33pm
I wish we had a reserve goalkeeper playing up front for us!
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 4:49pm
I daresay there are a couple hiding in your vast squad of English ringers.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 4:53pm

I daresay there are a couple hiding in your vast squad of English ringers.

Maik Taylor.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 4:55pm
Na must be Lee Camp he's talking about
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 4:56pm
Aye, you're welcome to that fat waster and all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233>
  Share Topic