Print Page | Close Window

Civil Reception in Belfast with the Nordies?

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Republic Of Ireland
Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=52951
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 7:34am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Civil Reception in Belfast with the Nordies?
Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Subject: Civil Reception in Belfast with the Nordies?
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 12:51pm
Opinions....

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/row-over-belfast-reception-for-republic-and-northern-ireland-euro-2016-football-teams-34228044.html

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Replies:
Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 12:53pm
No harm in it IMO

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Icy Bread People
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 12:53pm
My opinion is f**k that. And I doubt the players could be bothered either. 

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 12:54pm
James McClean to get a knighthood.  Arise Sir James!

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 12:56pm
It's amazing how many times the Unionists managed to mention the mythical "British Isles" in that article.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 12:56pm
I reckon it's a non starter...but would send out a great message. I'd love to see the President here do it too

-------------

Posted By: Just saying like
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 12:57pm
What a load of bollox.  These kunts would be better off to go back to arguing about flegs or decommissioning old bombers.  Why in the name of fcuk would our team want to go up there to some bull5hit reception and even if they did where would they find the time.  Fcuk off you shower of w**kers.

-------------
I don't know what more we can do in terms of being open and transparent - John Delaney

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:01pm
Have a feeling some might not make it that civil.

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:04pm
Never happen...they who call the shots would be afraid more fans of the republic would turn out, imagine they I'm use public safety to throw it out

Posted By: Pubes
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:07pm
Those Neanderthals in the UUP DUP AND UPtheQueensAss are all the same!! Wont give an inch to any moving on or coming together in Northern Ireland as they are afraid it means they are giving in or 'the other side' is winning! sickening old farts!
I think it was a good idea and would be a good show of unity and support for the whole island but at the same time if it doesn't happen ill lose no sleep about it or actually care either way - but yet again those unionist bigots remind us once again (as if we need reminding) why we support the 'republic' of Ireland - the one true football team in Ireland.
Hope they qualify for the later rounds so we can face them!

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I reckon it's a non starter...but would send out a great message. I'd love to see the President here do it too
He will, no doubt about that.

As for the idea, while I support it, the SDLP are throwing it out there knowing it won't fly, which is basically using the Irish national side as a political punchbag.

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:12pm
Not a bad idea definitely the two O'Neill's should be honoured given they are both from the North.
Would probably work if there was a reception for both teams also in the Free State as well as Belfast.

Quite historic the whole island of Ireland is going to a major football tournament.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:13pm
They could just do it on common ground i.e. in France?

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

It's amazing how many times the Unionists managed to mention the mythical "British Isles" in that article.

Indeed. Unionist politicians up North are just one big gigantic cringefest. The worst part is they are not even entertainingly so - instead they are incredibly boring cringe artists who quite simply never have any input of value into a discussion.

As for the idea, it would be a nice gesture but of course is never even going to get close to getting off the ground in that political backwater that is NI.

Posted By: Scamper
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:30pm
If Scotland and England Qualified you wouldn't expect this to be done. So why do it here. What a load of sh*te. Anyone from the North who feels Irish supports us. The Nordies can f**k off... don't even want to be based near them in France.

-------------
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:32pm
Radio discussion on this this morning with the SDLP man who proposed the idea and the DUPs Jim Rodgers

Rodgers said if they are to have one for ROI they should invite Wales & England as well
He also had a dig at most of Irelands team being born in England and said only a few were born in Ireland

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:34pm

'British Isles' is the correct geographical term for the two big islands and the smaller islands. If Scotland had left the UK last year and become independent, it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference, they'd still be part of the geographical entity called the British Isles.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:35pm

My thoughts exactly.

Could you imagine if Sinn Fein  proposed it? LOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Radio discussion on this this morning with the SDLP man who proposed the idea and the DUPs Jim Rodgers

Rodgers said if they are to have one for ROI they should invite Wales & England as well
He also had a dig at most of Irelands team being born in England and said only a few were born in Ireland

As opposed to the past when Maik Taylor,Iain Dowie etc... were all born in Northern Ireland

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

'British Isles' is the correct geographical term for the two big islands and the smaller islands. If Scotland had left the UK last year and become independent, it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference, they'd still be part of the geographical entity called the British Isles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_naming_dispute" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_naming_dispute

I prefer the term 'Atlantic Archipelago' myself. Beer

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

As opposed to the past when Maik Taylor,Iain Dowie etc... were all born in Northern Ireland

Yeah its hyopcritical anyone mentioning that as all countries have players representing them who weren't born in the country 

Scotland fans were obsessed with McCarthy and McGeady in the two games against us and yet the player who scored in both games was born in Malaysia
Im sure the north have a few English born players in their squad at the minute as well. 

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:44pm

As opposed to N.I. Unionists like him who call themselves British and none of them born in Britain LOL

What a risible bunch they are. Wtf has Ireland's players got to do with anything? Dead

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

As opposed to N.I. Unionists like him who call themselves British and none of them born in Britain LOL

What a risible bunch they are. Wtf has Ireland's players got to do with anything? Dead

Caller Sean from Belfast asked the DUP man where he was born when he phoned in to make that very point

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_naming_dispute" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_naming_dispute

The term is strictly a geographical one. If the UK broke up into four independent republics tomorrow morning, the term British Isles would still be the correct geographical one. The naming dispute mainly boils down to Irish nationalists and republicans disliking the word 'British' being associated with them in any way, not even geographically : funny how we never hear people in Wales, Cumbria and the Isle of Man demanding that the 'Irish Sea' be renamed as they find the term objectionable.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:49pm
It's a fantastically mental idea, as has been said the Unionist parties will crack the sh1ts. 

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:51pm
Fair enough....but the Brits have spent a number of years dumping radioactive waste into the Irish Sea so you can deduce from that what they think of it. Wink

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:54pm

The term is strictly a geographical one. If the UK broke up into four independent republics tomorrow morning, the term British Isles would still be the correct geographical one. The naming dispute mainly boils down to Irish nationalists and republicans disliking the word 'British' being associated with them in any way, not even geographically : funny how we never hear people in Wales, Cumbria and the Isle of Man demanding that the 'Irish Sea' be renamed as they find the term objectionable.
it isn't, it implies ownership. It is a geographical term if referring to lands ruled by westminster etc. If it is purely geographical, why is Jersey considered to be the 'sunniest place in the British Isles', when it is not part of the geographical grouping? It is an inability from certain sections of the British establishment to let go of the past. See the Commonwealth for more. 
It may be semantics but, Greek people come form the Greek islands, British people come from the British islands, I am not British.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

it isn't, it implies ownership. It is a geographical term if referring to lands ruled by westminster etc. If it is purely geographical, why is Jersey considered to be the 'sunniest place in the British Isles', when it is not part of the geographical grouping? It is an inability from certain sections of the British establishment to let go of the past. See the Commonwealth for more. 
It may be semantics but, Greek people come form the Greek islands, British people come from the British islands, I am not British.
Good man PM. My thoughts exactly.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna<br>It may be semantics but, Greek people come form the Greek islands, British people come from the British islands, I am not British.[/QUOTE pre Madonna
It may be semantics but, Greek people come form the Greek islands, British people come from the British islands, I am not British.[/QUOTE wrote:

What about the Virgin Islands, PM?

-------------
I don't know what more we can do in terms of being open and transparent - John Delaney

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 2:29pm

Strictly speaking, the Channel Islands should not be included in the term British Isles as they are not part of the archipelago of islands. I disagree though that it's used solely by British people to somehow claim ownership of the Republic : I use the term myself to describe the two big islands (but that might be because I wouldn't describe myself as a nationalist or republican, merely a proud Irishman).

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 2:32pm

No it isn't. The Irish state formally rejects this term.

-------------

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 2:34pm

Precisely. It's only the 'correct term' until you think about what it means. Is Ireland a British isle? LOL

Regarding the reception, it'd be nice if our support from the six counties could see their team come up for a reception but the fleg numbskulls will never go for it

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 2:35pm

I really like the idea of this.....may I suggest April 24th next year for this event ?

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Just saying like Just saying like wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna<br>It may be semantics but, Greek people come form the Greek islands, British people come from the British islands, I am not British.</td></tr></table><br><br>What about the Virgin Islands, PM?<br>
[/QUOTE pre Madonna

[/QUOTE wrote:

The British Virgin Islands or the Virgin Islands of the United States? 
The British Virgin Islands or the Virgin Islands of the United States? 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

I really like the idea of this.....may I suggest April 24th next year for this event ?

Homecoming reception for the team on the 12th of July?

-------------

Strictly speaking, the Channel Islands should not be included in the term British Isles as they are not part of the archipelago of islands. I disagree though that it's used solely by British people to somehow claim ownership of the Republic : I use the term myself to describe the two big islands (but that might be because I wouldn't describe myself as a nationalist or republican, merely a proud Irishman).
So do many British people. The Irish state and it's people do not.

-------------

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 2:39pm
Cant see the point and would prefer to see sport kept out of politics. But hey if it gets up the unionists noses then why not. It's not like they don't do enough cribbing. They can have a fleg protest outside the same day ... kill two birds and all that

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Cant see the point and would prefer to see sport kept out of politics. But hey if it gets up the unionists noses then why not. It's not like they don't do enough cribbing. They can have a fleg protest outside the same day ... kill two birds and all that
The Alanis Morrissette award for irony goes to......................GonetoShowgies

-------------

Posted By: greengooner
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 2:47pm

Is there somewhere round about half way between Dublin and Belfast where they could meet.... WinkWinkWink

Whats that town called where the Boyne river flows thr...............well on reflection, maybe not....we saw what happened the last time we met there about 300 years ago.... WinkWinkWink

-------------
Platini are you listening
You'd better keep your trophy glistening
Cos we'll be over next year
To drink all your beer,
Walking in an Irish Wonderland.

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 2:49pm

What a load of bollox.  These kunts would be better off to go back to arguing about flegs or decommissioning old bombers.  Why in the name of fcuk would our team want to go up there to some bull5hit reception and even if they did where would they find the time.  Fcuk off you shower of w**kers.

Im from the north, i was at the game and my mate was at the game. He lives in Belfast- why shouldnt he and the majority nationalist population in Belfast be allowed to see their team given a reception. Especially with Northern Irelands team there to- great stuff. But as usual the neanderthals only want it one way. One politician even said we are Northern Ireland and the majority of people support Northern Ireland- if he thinks that hes in fantasy land, maybe he should go to a bar in Derry next June and see who everyone is supporting.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Im from the north, i was at the game and my mate was at the game. He lives in Belfast- why shouldnt he and the majority nationalist population in Belfast be allowed to see their team given a reception. Especially with Northern Irelands team there to- great stuff. But as usual the neanderthals only want it one way. One politician even said we are Northern Ireland and the majority of people support Northern Ireland- if he thinks that hes in fantasy land, maybe he should go to a bar in Derry next June and see who everyone is supporting.

I would say the majority of people in the 6 counties do support NI 

Posted By: Tyronebhoy
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 3:05pm

I don't know anybody from a nationalist background who supports Are We A Country or who attends Windsor Park for their matches. As the nationalist population of the six counties is about 47%, it might be a majority, but it is a very small one, and almost exclusively from one section of the community

-------------
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 3:06pm

Yes to be fair they probably do, however the exact quote was 'we encourage people to support Northern Ireland and most do', i can only speak about the area im from and the people i know and that is patently untrue.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 3:07pm

What fcuking game were you at?  Were you at the ROI v Georgia match?  I want to see the team play football and if it's at all possible when I'm in France I'll go and support NI as well.  Politics has no place in football and these kunts on both sides trying to to hijack either team to start a row should be told to go fcuk themselves.  

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 3:12pm
There is simply one argument to support this....Willy Frazer will have the meltdown to end all meltdowns

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 3:24pm

What fcuking game were you at?  Were you at the ROI v Georgia match?  I want to see the team play football and if it's at all possible when I'm in France I'll go and support NI as well.  Politics has no place in football and these kunts on both sides trying to to hijack either team to start a row should be told to go fcuk themselves.  

Ive been to the Ireland vs Poland game the Ireland vs Scotland game and the play off game and that cost me about £400 altogether- is that ok for you? I just mentioned the game above because we qualified. To be fair i should have made that clear. Politics has no place in football, totally agree but you are missing the point.

There are hundreds of thousands of Republic supporters in the north, last month there was a reception for the Northern Ireland team. And so there should be because they have hundreds of thousands of fans to and they have done really well to qualify. Was there an outcry from Nationalists saying we should wait until we know the Republics fate? No they waited until we qualified then expected the same respect be shown to the supporters of the Republic who would like to see their team congratulated. Added to the fact that the 2 teams would be present at the reception and that the 2 men are managing the teams are from the North it should be an occassion to celebrate.

Who is hijacking either team. Just because they drew an imaginary line over 6 counties in 1921 didnt mean my great grandfather and grandmother felt any less Irish and didnt pass that down through the generations. Hi-jacking implies that we are taking something that isnt ours, well im Irish and the Irish team represents me.

-------------

Posted By: peterbelfast
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 3:29pm
Would love to see it, large sections of belfast and indeed the 06c support ireland so that should be acknowledged. Won't happen because of the unionist politicans and the protest at anything irish brigade, the pratts that held a protest outside CARROLLs because they sold tricolour's and the same boys who are planning on protesting at belfast int airport because they sell merchandise that has Ireland on them. Prob a good thing it doesn't happen as I could see big John Walters getting drunk and beating up half their team with jimmy Mc clean sneaking in and wrecking the D.U.P office ripping down pics of the Queen haha

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 3:40pm

Oh shut up you tart.
I'm Irish and I'm from the British Isles !!!!!

In a similar vein, although political, in recent times the term EU has come to mean Europe and vice versa.

I'm sure the Swiss and Norwegians object to that !!!!

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 3:52pm

Ive been to the Ireland vs Poland game the Ireland vs Scotland game and the play off game and that cost me about £400 altogether- is that ok for you? I just mentioned the game above because we qualified. To be fair i should have made that clear. Politics has no place in football, totally agree but you are missing the point.

There are hundreds of thousands of Republic supporters in the north, last month there was a reception for the Northern Ireland team. And so there should be because they have hundreds of thousands of fans to and they have done really well to qualify. Was there an outcry from Nationalists saying we should wait until we know the Republics fate? No they waited until we qualified then expected the same respect be shown to the supporters of the Republic who would like to see their team congratulated. Added to the fact that the 2 teams would be present at the reception and that the 2 men are managing the teams are from the North it should be an occassion to celebrate.

Who is hijacking either team. Just because they drew an imaginary line over 6 counties in 1921 didnt mean my great grandfather and grandmother felt any less Irish and didnt pass that down through the generations. Hi-jacking implies that we are taking something that isnt ours, well im Irish and the Irish team represents me.

Why do you support the ROI when you live in Northern Ireland?

-------------

Posted By: DangerHere
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Oh shut up you tart.

In a similar vein, although political, in recent times the term EU has come to mean Europe and vice versa.

Not sure I agree with you there Gary. When I hear EU I think exactly that...EU. When I hear Europe I think of Europe. I don't consider Switzerland in EU but I do consider it in Europe.

Also I'm Irish and I'm from....Ireland

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 3:55pm

Probably because he is Irish.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: londonirish
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Probably because he is Irish.

LOL

i assumed (hoped) he was on a wind up. no one can be that stupid. 

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 4:11pm

Good question. There are a number of reasons why i support the ROI. The main reason is because i feel Irish and feel that the ROI team best represents me, other reasons include god save the queen being played at Northern ireland games making it somewhat uncomfortable, surrounding bars and area in Belfast around Windsor Park would feel intimidating to me whereas in Dublin i feel at ease, growing up seeing the vitriol spouted at Neil Lennon and being from Derry and with Derry playing League of Ireland it just feels far more natural as your always in the south at football games or cup finals.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 4:14pm

Good question. There are a number of reasons why i support the ROI. The main reason is because i feel Irish and feel that the ROI team best represents me, other reasons include god save the queen being played at Northern ireland games making it somewhat uncomfortable, surrounding bars and area in Belfast around Windsor Park would feel intimidating to me whereas in Dublin i feel at ease, growing up seeing the vitriol spouted at Neil Lennon and being from Derry and with Derry playing League of Ireland it just feels far more natural as your always in the south at football games or cup finals.

So if you feel Irish and don't identify with the NI setup why the fcuk do you want a reception hosted by the loyalist dominated regime up there? 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 4:15pm

So do many British people. The Irish state and it's people do not.

Would you be okay with the British government and it's people starting a campaign to rename the Irish Sea as it implies ownership of British territorial waters by Ireland?

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 4:16pm
On a side issue - how many fans are OWC expecting to bring to France next summer ?
Could be great fun travelling on the trains with ourselves and the nordies. Sure we'll all be there, shoulder to shoulder answering Irelands call, what ? 

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: londonirish
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 4:26pm
depends on how quickly they can get passports i suppose.

would expect 10k easily plus of course their friends in glasgow and england.

would hate to share a city/ town with them for a week.  

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 4:28pm

So if you feel Irish and don't identify with the NI setup why the fcuk do you want a reception hosted by the loyalist dominated regime up there? 
Because it would point to official recognition that there are two equally legitimate choices for people living in the 6 counties in terms of football identity.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 4:38pm

Well its not actually a loyalist dominated setup, there is a nationalist majority on the council in Belfast. I personally would like to see it because i think the team should be congratulated and it would give the people a chance to come out and show their support. Also it has the potential to be good for community relations- the 2 teams in Ireland going to euro 2016 and celebrating in the home of Irish football(which is actually Belfast as that is where the 1st all island football body was set up).

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 4:48pm

Well its not actually a loyalist dominated setup, there is a nationalist majority on the council in Belfast. I personally would like to see it because i think the team should be congratulated and it would give the people a chance to come out and show their support. Also it has the potential to be good for community relations- the 2 teams in Ireland going to euro 2016 and celebrating in the home of Irish football(which is actually Belfast as that is where the 1st all island football body was set up).

You appear to be a genuine lad so I'm not going to argue further with you.  The kunt who made this proposal knew what the reaction would be from the other side and did so to attract publicity and score political points. It had nothing to do with football, recognising the great achievement of both teams or building bridges.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 4:52pm

You appear to be a genuine lad so I'm not going to argue further with you.  The kunt who made this proposal knew what the reaction would be from the other side and did so to attract publicity and score political points. It had nothing to do with football, recognising the great achievement of both teams or building bridges.

No problem man i wouldnt call it an argument more a heated debate Wink.

-------------

Posted By: AnCearrbhach
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

Oh shut up you tart.

Not sure I agree with you there Gary. When I hear EU I think exactly that...EU. When I hear Europe I think of Europe. I don't consider Switzerland in EU but I do consider it in Europe.

Most English politicians don't even use the term "British Isles" anymore. To claim it is the correct geographical term is also incorrect. 

-------------
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 5:16pm

As already has been stated, it isn't a loyalist-dominated regime. If it was they wouldn't have lost the butcher's apron from the top of the City Hall and we wouldn't have seen all the fleg protests. I could be wrong, but even if all the unionists on the council vote against it, the proposal could still pass. I can see another row coming down the tracks too. Some councils want to show the failed statelet's games on big screens during the Euros, but ratepayers from a nationalist background are asking why Ireland's games aren't being shown, as that is who they support. Watch this space...

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Tyronebhoy Tyronebhoy wrote:

As already has been stated, it isn't a loyalist-dominated regime. If it was they wouldn't have lost the butcher's apron from the top of the City Hall and we wouldn't have seen all the fleg protests. I could be wrong, but even if all the unionists on the council vote against it, the proposal could still pass. I can see another row coming down the tracks too. Some councils want to show the failed statelet's games on big screens during the Euros, but ratepayers from a nationalist background are asking why Ireland's games aren't being shown, as that is who they support. Watch this space...

I was referring to NI  as a whole [or the failed statelet as you call it] rather than the independent republic of Belfast.  I suppose it would be too much to expect that people would get a bit of sense and cop themselves on about all this.  Keep politics out of football.  

-------------

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 5:40pm
I don't get it....why not have Albania or Iceland over for a doo.....they're other countries who qualified too

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 6:11pm
Have u just stepped off an alien spacecraft, how can u not get it

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 6:19pm
A noble idea but we all knew who'd scupper it before the idea even came to the slightest bit of fruition. 

I was actually happy for the North qualified and not only because Michael O'Neill was their gaffer, maybe my tolerance levels are increasing as I speed towards 50. Cry

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Fintan
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 6:23pm
Excellent idea. Love it. Will be great for the kids. One of my fondest childhood moments was meeting Niall Quinn on Coalisland Co.Tyrone in the early 90s. Thousands of people got to see a hero....shame it was all done on a local level and at a secondary school.

No more sneaking in the back door.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 6:54pm

I was referring to NI  as a whole [or the failed statelet as you call it] rather than the independent republic of Belfast.  I suppose it would be too much to expect that people would get a bit of sense and cop themselves on about all this.  Keep politics out of football.  

The North isn't a loyalist-dominated regime either. Four of the six counties have a nationalist majority and the two biggest cities have a nationalist majority (Derry massively so), so I don't know where you're coming from. I do agree with you about keeping politics out of football, witness all the poppy sh*te over the last month. All I will say is that there is an unwillingness among unionists to recognise the Irish identity in any form among a very large section of the indigenous population in what is supposed to be a shared society. Part of that identity for me and many others is supporting our country, not some artificially created statelet undemocratically foisted upon my grandparents

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 7:13pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34909765#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa

Posted By: hammy
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 7:16pm

I don't know anybody from a nationalist background who supports Are We A Country or who attends Windsor Park for their matches. As the nationalist population of the six counties is about 47%, it might be a majority, but it is a very small one, and almost exclusively from one section of the community
[/QUOTE]

I fear it's a fantasy island that you live on
the most recent poll is here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34725746

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Oh shut up you tart.

Most English politicians don't even use the term "British Isles" anymore. To claim it is the correct geographical term is also incorrect. 

What geographical term would you use to describe all the islands? "Britain and Ireland" cannot be correct as it refers only to the two big islands, and excludes the like of the Shetlands, Orkneys and the Isle of Man.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 7:50pm

Oh shut up you tart.

What geographical term would you use to describe all the islands? "Britain and Ireland" cannot be correct as it refers only to the two big islands, and excludes the like of the Shetlands, Orkneys and the Isle of Man.

The British Isles and Ireland then. Ireland is in no way a British isle whatsoever. Despite what some of our northern brethren think, they are categorically, 100%, not British if they are from this island, not one of them. Britain is that big island over there and the surrounding smaller islands. Six of our counties may still be officially under the jurisdiction of the United Kingdom, but that isn't Britain. not one square inch of this island is British so the term British Isles doesn't apply

-------------

Posted By: AnCearrbhach
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Oh shut up you tart.

The British Isles and Ireland then. Ireland is in no way a British isle whatsoever. Despite what some of our northern brethren think, they are categorically, 100%, not British if they are from this island, not one of them. Britain is that big island over there and the surrounding smaller islands. Six of our counties may still be officially under the jurisdiction of the United Kingdom, but that isn't Britain. not one square inch of this island is British so the term British Isles doesn't apply

Atlantic Archipelago has been used in studies both political and geographical. Politicians usually go for These Islands.

-------------
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

Posted By: wicklowrunner
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 8:48pm

Oh shut up you tart.

Atlantic Archipelago has been used in studies both political and geographical. Politicians usually go for These Islands.

The British Isles is purely a Geographical Term NOT a Political One.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 8:57pm
Sinn Fein's attempt to rename the islands 'The Bobby Sands Archipelago' was unsuccessful in the Local Assembly but Derry City Council did pass the proposal

-------------

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 9:03pm
Who in their right mind gives a flying fuk about a civic reception

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: jake32009
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 9:06pm
Rather a civil reception with ISISNuke

-------------
"John Delaney could run anything"- Denis O'Brien

Posted By: jake32009
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 9:07pm
Only taking the piss, think its a good idea but not likely and really a bit pointless, nice thought but unnecessary when taking into account possible trouble and controversy.

-------------
"John Delaney could run anything"- Denis O'Brien

Posted By: An Tiobraideach
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Pubes Pubes wrote:

Those Neanderthals in the UUP DUP AND UPtheQueensAss are all the same!! Wont give an inch to any moving on or coming together in Northern Ireland as they are afraid it means they are giving in or 'the other side' is winning! sickening old farts!
I think it was a good idea and would be a good show of unity and support for the whole island but at the same time if it doesn't happen ill lose no sleep about it or actually care either way - but yet again those unionist bigots remind us once again (as if we need reminding) why we support the 'republic' of Ireland - the one true football team in Ireland.
Hope they qualify for the later rounds so we can face them!

This....and more.

-------------
His last fond wish had been fulfilled to lie in his native land,and the wild waves roll in peace again on the lonely Banna Strand.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 10:54pm

You're using that term in the political sense though. Scotland could have left the UK last year and become an independent state but they would still be located within the British Isles. The UK could break up into four independent republics in the way that Yugoslavia did in the 1990s and the nationality of 'British' would cease to exist, but the geographical term British Isles would still apply.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 11:01pm
There is Britain and there is Ireland. That is all. If you feel the need to lump them together call them Ireland & Britain.

Also, Scotland is on the island of Britain, obviously if they left the UK, they'd still be on the island of Britain.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 11:03pm
Americans celebrate Columbus Day but the fcuker never set foot on North American soil in his life and still thought he was in Asia til the day he died.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 11:09pm

You're using that term in the political sense though. Scotland could have left the UK last year and become an independent state but they would still be located within the British Isles. Th<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">e UK could break up into four independent republics in the way that Yugoslavia did in the 1990s and the nationality of 'British' would cease to exist, but the geographical term British Isles would still apply.</span>

You keep saying it but it doesn't become more correct. The phrase is disputed, your argument collapses by your refusal to accept that

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 11:14pm

There is Britain and there is Ireland. That is all. If you feel the need to lump them together call them Ireland & Britain.

Also, Scotland is on the island of Britain, obviously if they left the UK, they'd still be on the island of Britain.

What's wrong with lumping them together though? Everyone knows that there are two political entities located within the islands who are completely independent of each other. It seems strange that after one hundred years of independence that Irish people can feel threatened by the word 'British' being used even geographically to refer to the landmass of the islands.....it makes them sound very insecure rather than at ease with their sense of nationality.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 11:24pm
Yes its sad really.

2 islands, one with 60 odd million and one with 5 and they have the audacity to name them after the larger and most populated one. Cheek of them.

-------------

Posted By: Pubes
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by hammy hammy wrote:

I fear it's a fantasy island that you live on
the most recent poll is here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34725746
[/QUOTE]

That poll is a load of sh*t as most polls are...
The poll about the marrying someone from a different religion is not close to true! Anyone in the orange order is not allowed to have a relationship with a catholic and that is a fact! It can happen of course but highly frowned upon and you wouldnt know that from the polls on the Nolan show (nolan show-says it all ha)
And a poll like this is pointless showing unless everyone is actually asked! 
Anyway, the polls dont discuss who goes to northern ireland games at all!

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 11:56pm

Politics has no place in football and these kunts on both sides trying to to hijack either team to start a row should be told to go fcuk themselves.  
Got it in one.

The NI team had a civic reception last month, why do we want/need another one?

If the SDLP weren't trolling this one, they'd simply invite the ROI team (to even things up).

But they would then be exposed as trying to "out Sinn Fein" Sinn Fein (as well as embarrassed if/when ROI turned them down).

As for the Unionist politicians' response, it was the usual old load of nonsense.

But that doesn't change the fact that it was just that, a response (to the initial provocation).

Anyway, it won't go ahead (imo), it is hardly necessary and if ROI fans in NI are so desperate to celebrate their team's achievement, then their capital city is the obvious location.

I mean, they're happy enough to travel to Dublin to see the team play....

Posted By: tobymcclure
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 12:03am
much rather the day spent on the pitch training............ weve the euros in a few months!!

-------------
Row F, bird with the viking hat- check out the size of her b**bs            

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 12:10am

Are you telling me I'm not British?

How would you take it if you were born in NI i.e. in the UK, and I told you you weren't Irish?

Or haven't you heard of the Good Friday Agreement, overwhelmingly endorsed by all the people in Ireland:
"[We] recognise the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose."
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/136652/agreement.pdf" rel="nofollow - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/136652/agreement.pdf

I was born in NI, which means I am both British AND Irish - and all the more privileged for it!

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 12:17am

Im from the north, i was at the game and my mate was at the game. He lives in Belfast- why shouldnt he and the majority nationalist population in Belfast be allowed to see their team given a reception.
Why shouldn't the "majority nationalist population in Belfast" [sic] be permitted to see their team play in Belfast?

It's discriminashun, so it is.

(I blame those bloody partitionists in the FAI...Wink)

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 12:21am

The kunt who made this proposal knew what the reaction would be from the other side and did so to attract publicity and score political points. It had nothing to do with football, recognising the great achievement of both teams or building bridges.
Yep.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 12:25am

Despite what some of our northern brethren think, they are categorically, 100%, not British if they are from this island, not one of them.
Not what my Passport says.

Or would it satisfy you if I called myself "United Kingdomish"? LOL

And what would you call eg Kevin Kilbane?

I mean, by your reasoning he couldn't be "Irish" if he is from another island....

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 12:38am

not one square inch of this island is British so the term British Isles doesn't apply
Really?

"... the present wish of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland, freely exercised and legitimate, is to maintain the Union and accordingly, that Northern Ireland's status as part of the UK reflects and relies upon that wish"

and

"It is hereby declared that NI in its entirety remains part of the UK and shall not cease to without the consent of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland"

(From that pesky GFA again)

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 1:34am
Meltdown for Territorial

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 1:35am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Are you telling me I'm not British?

How would you take it if you were born in NI i.e. in the UK, and I told you you weren't Irish?

Or haven't you heard of the Good Friday Agreement, overwhelmingly endorsed by all the people in Ireland:
"[We] recognise the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose."
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/136652/agreement.pdf" rel="nofollow - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/136652/agreement.pdf

I was born in NI, which means I am both British AND Irish - and all the more privileged for it!

Being born in NI does not make you both British and Irish - it means you have the right to choose. Some people born in NI choose to be Irish, not British. Some choose to be British, not Irish. Some choose to be both. The fact of birth does not "mean" you are both, it means you have the right to choose to be both. Semantics, perhaps, but read what you quote before inaccurately summarising it. I don't think it is semantic, incidentally, as I, for one, do not consider the fact of my birth to mean I am British. I see myself as Irish and entitled to assert myself as British, but I have no desire to assert myself as British and doubt I ever will.... but I do acknowledge that I may choose to be British, if I so wish. Similarly, you could choose to be British, to the exclusion of your entitlement to assert your Irishness, although you have chosen both.

That said, I don't buy any of the argument that you are not British simply because you were not born on the island of Great Britain. Northern Ireland may not be part of the island of Great Britain but the identifier British has always applied to people from the United Kingdom, even when that has included all or part of Ireland. Saying you aren't entitled to call yourself British just because you aren't from the island of Great Britain ignores the current constitutional position of Northern Ireland as part of the United Kingdom, much and all as plenty wish that wasn't the case.

-------------

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 1:52am
Feed paid for by the nordies? Be a fool to turn that down.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: Fintan
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:42am
Well well well look who comes crawling back when a political thread is on the go. Mascara stained cheeks as salty tears have been rolling down his cheeks since we qualified. Like an ex girlfriend who comes crawling back.

TERRI son how the he'll are you? See you in Lille next year or up at the reception in Belfast. Haaaaaahaha

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:57am

The North isn't a loyalist-dominated regime either. Four of the six counties have a nationalist majority and the two biggest cities have a nationalist majority (Derry massively so), so I don't know where you're coming from. I do agree with you about keeping politics out of football, witness all the poppy sh*te over the last month. All I will say is that there is an unwillingness among unionists to recognise the Irish identity in any form among a very large section of the indigenous population in what is supposed to be a shared society. Part of that identity for me and many others is supporting our country, not some artificially created statelet undemocratically foisted upon my grandparents

I shaded a few words above to make it easier for you.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 7:37am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

not one square inch of this island is British so the term British Isles doesn't apply

Really?

"... the present wish of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland, freely exercised and legitimate, is to maintain the Union and accordingly, that Northern Ireland's status as part of the UK reflects and relies upon that wish"

and

"It is hereby declared that NI in its entirety remains part of the UK and shall not cease to without the consent of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland"

(From that pesky GFA again)
the B word is pointedly missing there...

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net