You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Civil Reception in Belfast with the Nordies?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 33>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 1:40am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

They consider themselves foreign. As they're entitled to do so. Personally I think we're all Irish people but I'm not going to force someone who doesn't identify with that into agreeing. Are you actually saying that British people aren't foreign because we watch the same tv programmes as them? What about Americans and Australians?

As I said further up, we've a unique relationship with the British, an unusually close one in fact. A common travel area between the two countries so that passports aren't necessary. British newspapers published in Ireland, TV shows like the X Factor broadcast live on Irish TV with Irish viewers allowed to vote on them. That's not even mentioning the numerous sporting links such as the Ryder Cup being contested by 'Great Britain and Ireland' for decades and the British and Irish Lions in rugby these days.

Countries like Holland and Belgium would have nowhere near as close a relationship as this despite strong cultural links between the two

Edited by Strazdas - 20 Dec 2015 at 1:41am
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>

They consider themselves foreign. As they're entitled to do so. Personally I think we're all Irish people but I'm not going to force someone who doesn't identify with that into agreeing. Are you actually saying that British people aren't foreign because we watch the same tv programmes as them? What about Americans and Australians?

As I said further up, we've a unique relationship with the British, an unusually close one in fact. A common travel area between the two countries so that passports aren't necessary. British newspapers published in Ireland, TV shows like the X Factor broadcast live on Irish TV with Irish viewers allowed to vote on them. That's not even mentioning the numerous sporting links such as the Ryder Cup being contested by 'Great Britain and Ireland' for decades and the British and Irish Lions in rugby these days.

Countries like Holland and Belgium would have nowhere near as close a relationship as this despite strong cultural links between the two

I don't disagree with any of that but all it means is that we have a closer relationship with one foreign country (UK) than we do with others. It's a result of the fact that we were part of the UK for over a hundred years posit the act of union and a colony for 700 more before that. I can't actually believe I'm having this argument so I'm gonna leave it at that.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 9:20am
Originally posted by ontheball ontheball wrote:

Michael O'Neill just named RTE Manager of the Year, fair dues to him.

.didn't realise he worked in rte.
AKA pedantic kunt
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 10:06am
Really Tenuous Eire connection?

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Can't wait for the moderate Unionist ybig residents Floreat and Territorial's response on here...They're probably going to argue how it's some dastardly political point by the militant SDLP when most people would see it as a nice gesture and recognition of both teams from this Island achievements

Morning mufc and everyone. Irritating stunt which has given the SDLP some bantz points before their likely electoral embarrassment in May. Nothing much to add from earlier in the thread, basically.

As for your forensic legal skills, I wasn't at the 1993 game (as stressed up-thread) so can't answer in detail, but have no problem with Billy Bingham encouraging the crowd to back the team during a game. Now if he'd led sectarian sing-songs on the team bus- then boasted about it later in an autobiog- that would be different.

The joint YBIG thesis on what constitutes a country/ nation/ state(let) is as entertainingly mad as ever, partic. Strazdas's claim that no-one in the South thinks NI and Britain are foreign. So after the Euros are out of the way we'll all be supporting a British Isles team in 2018 qualifying, presumably?

Anyway, Shona Nollaig to all and bring on June. Alas my budget doesn't stretch to a trip to gay Paree but if anyone ventures to the Cote d'Azur or Cotes du Rhone see ye there ;)

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 11:37am

As I said further up, we've a unique relationship with the British, an unusually close one in fact. A common travel area between the two countries so that passports aren't necessary

Have you heard of the Shengen Agreement ?

Also I watch alot of Nordic Noir tv but wouldnt class myself as Danish or Swedish.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

As I said further up, we've a unique relationship with the British, an unusually close one in fact. A common travel area between the two countries so that passports aren't necessary

Also I watch alot of Nordic Noir tv but wouldnt class myself as Danish or Swedish.

Would New Zealanders describe Australians as "foreigners" or Canadians likewise about the Americans? Very strictly speaking anyone who doesn't share your nationality is a foreigner but the word and the idea is open to interpretation. When I settle down to watch MOTD, I don't regard myself as watching foreign football teams on foreign TV, even though I'm well aware I'm watching something that is not Irish.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 1:58pm

Would New Zealanders describe Australians as "foreigners" or Canadians likewise about the Americans? Very strictly speaking anyone who doesn't share your nationality is a foreigner but the word and the idea is open to interpretation. When I settle down to watch MOTD, I don't regard myself as watching foreign football teams on foreign TV, even though I'm well aware I'm watching something that is not Irish.
What fuçking planet are you living on. Of course NZ & Aus and USA & Canada consider each other foreigners. Have you looked up foreign in the dictionary?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 2:18pm
I may come as a surprise to most Irish people but to 90% of English/British people we are insignificant pixie heads.

Id say 90% of them couldnt pinpoint Dublin on a map.
They claim U2, Colin Farrell etc but the reality is they dont care.

They dont give a fcuk about us and why should they.

Hence I dont understand people's fascination with them.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

Really Tenuous Eire connection?

<p ="western" style="margin-bottom: 0cm">

Can't
wait for the moderate Unionist ybig residents Floreat and
Territorial's response on here...They're probably going to argue how
it's some dastardly political point by the militant SDLP when most
people would see it as a nice gesture and recognition of both teams
from this Island achievements

<p ="western" style="margin-bottom: 0cm">Morning mufc and
everyone. Irritating stunt which has given the SDLP some bantz points
before their likely electoral embarrassment in May. Nothing much to
add from earlier in the thread, basically.

<p ="western" style="margin-bottom: 0cm">As for your forensic
legal skills, I wasn't at the 1993 game (as stressed up-thread) so
can't answer in detail, but have no problem with Billy Bingham
encouraging the crowd to back the team during a game. Now if he'd led
sectarian sing-songs on the team bus- then boasted about it later in
an autobiog- that would be different.

<p ="western" style="margin-bottom: 0cm">The joint YBIG thesis
on what constitutes a country/ nation/ state(let) is as
entertainingly mad as ever, partic. Strazdas's claim that no-one in
the South thinks NI and Britain are foreign. So after the Euros are
out of the way we'll all be supporting a British Isles team in 2018
qualifying, presumably?

<p ="western" style="margin-bottom: 0cm">Anyway, Shona Nollaig
to all and bring on June. Alas my budget doesn't stretch to a trip to
gay Paree but if anyone ventures to the Cote d'Azur or Cotes du Rhone
see ye there ;)

I wasn't at the game either Floreat but thanks to having a pair of eyes and the game was televised so once again was that not a royal wave wee innocent Billy gave to the crowd? It was on camera mate.

In regards to the supplanted British statelet you hail from. It's nothing to do with some 'joint YBIG thesis' it's defined in the Oxford dictionary no less. You know, its only printed by one of the famous institutions from the British state you're so enamoured with.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/statelet

Oh and Merry Christmas from your fellow Irish compatriot.

Edited by irishmufc - 20 Dec 2015 at 2:36pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

What fuçking planet are you living on. Of course NZ & Aus and USA & Canada consider each other foreigners. Have you looked up foreign in the dictionary?

One dictionary definition says that "More generally foreign is applied to countries more remote than an adjacent territory; as a foreign market; a foreign prince. In the United States, all transatlantic countries are foreign" which is the exact point I'm making.

Under your own strict interpretation, Northern Ireland is a foreign state and it's inhabitants are foreigners, as it's a different jurisdiction and the border is fully recognised by both sides.

hammy View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 12:29pm

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't at the game either Floreat but thanks to having a pair of eyes and the game was televised so once again was that not a royal wave wee innocent Billy gave to the crowd? It was on camera mate.
 [/QUOTE]

I was at the game and would really appreciate you enlightening me as to what exactly Billy Bingham done that was so offensive - or maybe you thought he should just ask his players to lie down and the crowd to be silent??.  Stop talking in riddles and tell us exactly what Billy done??
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by hammy hammy wrote:

[/QUOTE]

I was at the game and would really appreciate you enlightening me as to what exactly Billy Bingham done that was so offensive - or maybe you thought he should just ask his players to lie down and the crowd to be silent??.  Stop talking in riddles and tell us exactly what Billy done??
[/QUOTE]

Riddles?! I've already posted it several times. The Royal Wave where he was the Loyalist conductor.

Can't think for the life of me why it would happen to be a Royal Wave that wee innocent Billy performed

I'm only asking Floreat or yourself if you want if that was a Royal wave and do you think that was a proper way for him to conduct (pardon the pun) himself?

Edited by irishmufc - 22 Dec 2015 at 7:30pm
hammy View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 8:06pm

[/QUOTE]

Riddles?! I've already posted it several times. The Royal Wave where he was the Loyalist conductor.

Can't think for the life of me why it would happen to be a Royal Wave that wee innocent Billy performed

I'm only asking Floreat or yourself if you want if that was a Royal wave and do you think that was a proper way for him to conduct (pardon the pun) himself?
[/QUOTE]

Honestly don't know what you mean by 'royal wave', drop the riddles please.
Billy B was notoriuos for his relationship with the fans and he would regularly gesture/wave/whip up/whatever the fans to encourage more noise and more support (giving birth the the term Fortress Windsor) ...and yes he done it again that night.  and to answer your question - yes it was absolutely appropriate.   I'll ask you again to drop the riddles and tell me what you saw inappropriate about him repeating what he done at many games.      You refer to him as the Loyalist conductor - As someone has alluded to, there is no way Billy would have tolerated what was going on in the other team bus that night or maybe you think that was appropriate.

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 10:45pm
people really should work out how to quote it makes for easier reading Stern Smile

royal wave  - unless he jumped in a open carriage  and proceeded around the pitch with a tiara on his head  its hardly a royal wave

As to the play list on the coach notwithstanding our dear leaders warblings I would guess most would past the acceptability test
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 9:03am

[/QUOTE]

Honestly don't know what you mean by 'royal wave', drop the riddles please.
Billy B was notoriuos for his relationship with the fans and he would regularly gesture/wave/whip up/whatever the fans to encourage more noise and more support (giving birth the the term Fortress Windsor) ...and yes he done it again that night.  and to answer your question - yes it was absolutely appropriate.   I'll ask you again to drop the riddles and tell me what you saw inappropriate about him repeating what he done at many games.      You refer to him as the Loyalist conductor - As someone has alluded to, there is no way Billy would have tolerated what was going on in the other team bus that night or maybe you think that was appropriate.
[/QUOTE]

Again how am I speaking in riddles?

You honestly never heard of that type of hand gesture the 'royal wave'?

Goggle it and then watch the footage of Billy performing it.

As for the rebel songs on the Irish team bus. They've had them on years before that on the bus (before the match against England in 88)

They're also not sectarian songs and should be taken in the historical context that they originally belong to.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

people really should work out how to quote it makes for easier reading Stern Smile

royal wave  - unless he jumped in a open carriage  and proceeded around the pitch with a tiara on his head  its hardly a royal wave

As to the play list on the coach notwithstanding our dear leaders warblings I would guess most would past the acceptability test

That would have been brilliant LOL
hammy View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 5:26pm
irishmufc are you for real?  Are you really suggesting Billy Bingham was impersonating a royal wave?  I genuinely don't know whether to take you seriously  and just feel sorry for you, or whether you have got me hook line and sinker with a windup.
...and as for your position that rebel songs about killing policemen are OK yet a royal wave Wacko would be offensive is astonishing.
I am sure you also know the context that game was played in or do I need to remind you - The northeners probably need congratulated for be so reserved Smile
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

That would have been brilliant LOL

I think he would have done it but it might have been a tad too obvious and given the game away.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 33>
  Share Topic