Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daryl Horgan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 59>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 12:23am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I said nothing about 1 million quid, that was another poster so don't attribute it to me. They could for example offer Horgan say, 90,000 to sign a year long contract if they believed they could then sell him on for over 100,000. Horgan gets 90,000 in his back pocket and Dundalk make a profit off their asset, good business for everyone.
They will presumably have tried to offer him a deal and presumably he will have refused. 
Sponsored Links

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 3:50am
They presumably couldn't offer him much or anything, notwithstanding the 5K offer from the father of the "football family" because they, like every other LOI club, have been hanging by their financial ball sack.  

The Uefa money will come in, but it looks like it will be too late. And the league will lose a seven figure value asset for nada when they're gaggin for some form of cash and/or investment. 
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 3:50am
One lad saying throw him a million quid and one saying LOI footballers rarely go for more than 100k. Just goes to show most lads haven't a clue until Gary Neville or Jamie Carragher tells them their opinion.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 9:43am
One thing that will come of Dundalk's success is that they now can tie their players down to longer team deals.

It's a bit of a joke that he can leave for free and Forresster leaving for a pittance too.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 10:37am
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

One lad saying throw him a million quid and one saying LOI footballers rarely go for more than 100k. Just goes to show most lads haven't a clue until Gary Neville or Jamie Carragher tells them their opinion.

Well give us your verdict in that case oh great one, because I wouldn't be holding my breath on Neville or Carragher sitting down to have a drawn out discussion on the extent of LOI transfer fees.
We're decent enough..
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 10:25am
Yes, tying lads down to deals whereby the club would get at least some pay-out if they moved would be a critical first step to making sustainable financial progress.  

Horgan leaving for nothing sticks badly in the throat in a league that needs all the money it can get (and not just a €5,000 handshake).
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Yes, tying lads down to deals whereby the club would get at least some pay-out if they moved would be a critical first step to making sustainable financial progress.  

Horgan leaving for nothing sticks badly in the throat in a league that needs all the money it can get (and not just a €5,000 handshake).
Just because they are from Dundalk doesn't mean they can put a gun to his head.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 5:37pm
Is it not obvious that Citizen meant the player would be worth around €1 million, he didn't mention giving Horgan €1 million quid ffs.....

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Is it not obvious that Citizen meant the player would be worth around €1 million, he didn't mention giving Horgan €1 million quid ffs.....

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

they should give him a lump sum to sign, easily worth 1m

Citizen believes he's easily worth 1M and that may be true but will a Championship club pay that for him?
Hes been consistently playing well for Dundalk and no one was banging down his door at the end of last year. It's a very similar situation to Towell.

Richie Towell is on about E350k/year to sit on the Brighton bench and sometimes to sit at home. He was most likely given a decent signing on fee too.

The money involved for Dundalk to hold onto Horgan would be astronomical in LOI terms. They are after all playing in front of crowds of around 3k with zero TV money and shag all league prize money.

It's unfortunate that he's not on a longterm deal there but the reason he isn't is because he doesn't want one as that may put Championship clubs off.

LOI clubs need to get up to a level of professionalism where transfer fees can be demanded for their best players but they need to mix that with long term viability. It's a slow process and I expect alot more Daryl Horgan to go for nothing before its achieved.

Throwing "lump sums" around hoping to make it back is a gamble LOI clubs should not be taking. It was done before and the entire league nearly went out of existence and is only just recovering 10 years later with the likes of Shelbourne and Bohemians still carrying legacy debt in the millions. Which will hopefully be brought down to manageable levels with the Dalymount deal.

As has been said he could break his leg or lose form and where does that leave Dundalk?
If Horgan goes for nothing he goes for nothing, it's unfortunate but Dundalk will move on.
It can't be ignored that he's had a big part to play in Dundalk earning a lot of money in Europe so no one can say they haven't made a profit on him.

Edited by Bitored - 02 Oct 2016 at 6:19pm
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 6:31pm
Currently on a bus en route to derry in young conor mcdermott's back pocket
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

While I get your point, you clearly have forgotten about a much more important league match in oriel just a few days ago

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

While I get your point, you clearly have forgotten about a much more important league match in oriel just a few days ago

Not at all - horgan is a great talent. Young mcdermott is learning quick and takes the plaudits today. Games catching up on Horgan I think...hopefully more of the same on Tuesday.

2 best footballing sides in the league so should be a spectacle
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

they should give him a lump sum to sign, easily worth 1m

Citizen believes he's easily worth 1M and that may be true but will a Championship club pay that for him?
Hes been consistently playing well for Dundalk and no one was banging down his door at the end of last year. It's a very similar situation to Towell.

Richie Towell is on about E350k/year to sit on the Brighton bench and sometimes to sit at home. He was most likely given a decent signing on fee too.

The money involved for Dundalk to hold onto Horgan would be astronomical in LOI terms. They are after all playing in front of crowds of around 3k with zero TV money and shag all league prize money.

It's unfortunate that he's not on a longterm deal there but the reason he isn't is because he doesn't want one as that may put Championship clubs off.

LOI clubs need to get up to a level of professionalism where transfer fees can be demanded for their best players but they need to mix that with long term viability. It's a slow process and I expect alot more Daryl Horgan to go for nothing before its achieved.

Throwing "lump sums" around hoping to make it back is a gamble LOI clubs should not be taking. It was done before and the entire league nearly went out of existence and is only just recovering 10 years later with the likes of Shelbourne and Bohemians still carrying legacy debt in the millions. Which will hopefully be brought down to manageable levels with the Dalymount deal.

As has been said he could break his leg or lose form and where does that leave Dundalk?
If Horgan goes for nothing he goes for nothing, it's unfortunate but Dundalk will move on.
It can't be ignored that he's had a big part to play in Dundalk earning a lot of money in Europe so no one can say they haven't made a profit on him.

If Horgan agrees a full 52 week contract with Dundalk at the end of the season, a sort of golden handshake to allow him to move for a fee (we'll say €300,000) wouldn't it be a nice sweetener for the club? I'm sure Horgan wouldn't say no to a €10,000 or €15,000 one off payment? 

Lets call a spade a spade here, Horgan is operating at a higher level on a personal level than probably any other player in the country right now (McMillan second) and once he get's into the Ireland squad Dundalk are bound to be inundated with enquiries? 

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 10:58pm

If Horgan agrees a full 52 week contract with Dundalk at the end of the season, a sort of golden handshake to allow him to move for a fee (we'll say €300,000) wouldn't it be a nice sweetener for the club? I'm sure Horgan wouldn't say no to a €10,000 or €15,000 one off payment? 

Lets call a spade a spade here, Horgan is operating at a higher level on a personal level than probably any other player in the country right now (McMillan second) and once he get's into the Ireland squad Dundalk are bound to be inundated with enquiries? 

It's a moot point. He won't sign that contract.
He's already got about E50k from the European run.
Are you really suggesting that if Dundalk offer him 10k and 100k/year that he'll turn down Championship football?

He won't get into the Ireland squad on a consistent basis playing in Ireland.
He may get a token call up from MON similar to Rogers.
Dundalk could go out in CL QR2 next year and then he'll be forgotten. He won't get near the Ireland team playing a starring role against Finn Harps.

Serious question, do you watch LOI?
Dave McMillian isn't the second best player in that Dundalk team never mind the league.
He's having a stellar season and has scored some very important goals for them.
McGuire and Fagan are ahead of him as strikers.

I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 11:14pm

Are you really suggesting that if Dundalk offer him 10k and 100k/year that he'll turn down Championship football?

Dundalk could go out in CL QR2 next year and then he'll be forgotten. He won't get near the Ireland team playing a starring role against Finn Harps.

Dave McMillian isn't the second best player in that Dundalk team never mind the league.

Completely missing the whole point of my argument, I said it would be a good deal for Daryl and Dundalk which would give both the player and club security if a club from across the water came knocking. If he signs a new contract with an added payrise, it would increase his agent's bartering powers and would also allow Dundalk to command a fee. 

Did I say he would? But given his form in Europe, he has shown that he can operate at a higher level than the LOI. 

Or maybe they could go one better? Or maybe qualify for the EL group stage again?

I said McMillian is operating at an extremely high level and probably just a tad off the personal level Horgan is operating at, 5 goals in European football this campaign is some return. I didn't say he has better than Maguire or Fagan? 

Good man Bitored, you've single handed misinterpreted my whole argument.....

Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 12:17am

Completely missing the whole point of my argument, I said it would be a good deal for Daryl and Dundalk which would give both the player and club security if a club from across the water came knocking. if he signs a new contract with an added payrise, it would increase his agent's bartering powers and would also allow Dundalk to command a fee. 

Did I say he would? But given his form in Europe, he has shown that he can operate at a higher level than the LOI. 

Or maybe they could go one better? Or maybe qualify for the EL group stage again?

I said McMillian is operating at an extremely high level and probably just a tad off the personal level Horgan is operating at, 5 goals in European football this campaign is some return. I didn't say he has better than Maguire or Fagan? 

Good man Bitored, you've single handed misinterpreted my whole argument.....

Possibly because it's a fundamentally flawed argument. a lot of ifs and maybes there. Don't go writing up any business plans whatever you do.

The crux of it is Horgan will not sign a long term contract. It wouldn't be in his interest to put off a Championship club by signing a long term contract. He's a LOI footballer there's no security in it and a LOI contract isn't worth the paper it is written on. Time and time again clubs go to players asking them to take pay cuts on contracts they've only signed months previously.

Previous to this season Dundalk wouldnt have been in a position to offer such a contract. Highlighted by the fact they've had to ask for an advance from UEFA on prize money to pay match costs.
To maintain a contract like you're talking about they would need to win the league and progress a round or 2 in Europe at a minimum for the duration of said contract.
An extremely risky business plan which has led to disaster for multiple clubs in the past.

Edited by Bitored - 03 Oct 2016 at 12:20am
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 7:55pm
We may aswell scrap the league of Ireland and call it a day if Daryl Horgan doesn't make the next Ireland squad.

He is on a different level to any other player in the country. He's destroyed too many teams to be ignored and the fact he's done it in the europa league seals a spot surely?

Sensational stuff from him tonight.

Edited by ShamtheRam - 11 Oct 2016 at 7:56pm
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Darrener View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

We may aswell scrap the league of Ireland and call it a day if Daryl Horgan doesn't make the next Ireland squad.

He is on a different level to any other player in the country. He's destroyed too many teams to be ignored and the fact he's done it in the europa league seals a spot surely?

Sensational stuff from him tonight.

Correct
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 59>
  Share Topic