Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 6:42am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Daryl Horgan
Posted By: benboview
Subject: Daryl Horgan
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 11:58pm
Surely, deserving of his own thread.

Gets better every year. 

From being regularly substituted after 70 mins in Cork to picking up the ball in the cup final on Sunday and driving past 2 players to set up the winner. 

Must be coming into consideration if he can kick on again.

Replies:
Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 12:26am
The problem is there's too many wingers in the squad already, some top quality ones also playing regulary who can't even make the bench

Posted By: benboview
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 12:44am
The more competition the better.

I don't think he is strictly winger like McClean or McGeady.

He's more of an old fashioned inside forward in my view.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 12:52am
We already have one playing that role who's been our most consistent player this campaign in Jon Walters.

I mean like I do agree with you he should atleast be called up but he's well down the pecking order

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 8:06am
If he were to move cross channel to at the very least a Championship club I personally think he'd be  straight in the squad. A phenomanal talent.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 8:25am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

If he were to move cross channel to at the very least a Championship club I personally think he'd be  straight in the squad. A phenomanal talent.

True.

And the reason being is that he will be proving himself against much superior players and playing at a much higher standard.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 8:43am
Himself and Towell are a league above the rest of players in the league IMO

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Sporticus
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 1:55pm
I have a Daryl Horgan story!

I played against Daryl Horgan in a friendly when I was in college around 2011. I think he was on a FAS team or something. 

As you would expect he was on a different level. I wouldn't consider myself a great player but I could hold my own. Couldn't touch him, couldn't even get close enough to foul him.

Near the end of the game I finally got a toe on a ball and it went out for a throw. He goes "Ya f**kin' prick ya" to which I responded "I didn't touch ya" (I hadn't) to which he responds "Sorry, I was talking to myself"!! 

I loved how he was genuinely pissed off that somebody had been able to get close enough to get a foot in ... heard after that game he had signed for Sligo Rovers and since that day I've been raving about how he will go far. I really hope he does. Obviously just so I can tell this story to anybody who'll listen

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 1:57pm
Haha good stuff. 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 1:58pm
Didn't realize he was only 23, he still has time on his side but i'd like to see him and Towell move within the next 6months/year or it may be too late. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 4:00pm
If I remember right Fahey was about 26 when he went across for the second time. Of course if it's going to work out the younger you go the better. But realistically they both only have one shot at it at this stage. So if another year or two here means they are better prepared then they should wait.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 4:40pm
I think Wes was 25ish when he went over too?

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 8:02pm
Did wonderfully well for Dundalk equaliser just now. window.post_1474657377429_15 = function(win,msg){ win.postMessage(msg,"*"); }window.post_1474657379044_36 = function(win,msg){ win.postMessage(msg,"*"); }

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Hoppy
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 8:03pm
Reminds me a lot of Alan judge, same build to him and style of play

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 8:05pm
He's Duffer MKII

Great delivery from corner for second goal. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: LHurlz
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 8:24pm
Definitely on his way to England next season if keeps it up 

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 9:03pm
Ah here, sheer class. It's the Daryl Horgan show. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Hoppy
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 9:04pm
Baller

Posted By: LHurlz
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 9:05pm
Jesus Christ what a player, having an absolute stormer tonight

Posted By: Darrener
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 9:07pm
Considering it was a day where so much focus was going to be on his performance, it's an even better display to perform under the spotlightClap

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 9:24pm
What a ball to pick out, fantastic finish from McMillan too

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 9:32pm
Has to be in the Squad for the Austria game

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 9:32pm
His performance this evening warrants a goal. Outstanding game from him. 89 mins gone, 3-1 up and still chasing back. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 10:37pm
His move (which he surely must get in January) is absolutely crucial that he gets the right one. To see him waste away on a bench like Towell has done would be criminal

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 10:59pm
Should be in the EIRE squad.  O'Neill talking sh*te.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Doyler1993
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

His move (which he surely must get in January) is absolutely crucial that he gets the right one. To see him waste away on a bench like Towell has done would be criminal

Dont think what happened towell will happen to horgan. Horgan is more naturally gifted which will give him an advantage when stepping up to a higher quality league, whereas towell is more manufactured type player and would have to work a lot harder to reach a higher standard. 

It's a shame how dundalk will get nothing for him as he easily could be the first €1 million euro player from loi if he was on a proper contract. 

-------------
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 12:09pm
After last night's win over the Israelis, it's safe to say Horgan will be plying his trade in England by the end of January.

Apparently MO'N was at the game.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 12:22pm
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the issue with Dundalk not getting a transfer fee?  Do they not hold his registration or is it the case that they're all on short-term contracts? 

Would be rough if he left for nothing.

Posted By: AnCearrbhach
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the issue with Dundalk not getting a transfer fee?  Do they not hold his registration or is it the case that they're all on short-term contracts? 

Would be rough if he left for nothing.

Short term contracts, most players like Daryl wouldn't sign for more than 40-weeks even if they were offered. Most of the lads signing multi-year are good LOI lads that are unlikely to move on. 

-------------
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 12:36pm
Cheers. 

That's a kick in the gonads.  A fee for him would well have eclipsed the amounts they're now getting from UEFA.

It's a no-brainer for an English club now.  At least it gives the player a bit more bargaining power about where he goes.   

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 12:52pm

Cheers. 

That's a kick in the gonads.  A fee for him would well have eclipsed the amounts they're now getting from UEFA.

It's a no-brainer for an English club now.  At least it gives the player a bit more bargaining power about where he goes.   

Sometimes I feel players are better off having the club pay a decent fee for them as they become more of an asset then. Would Towell be in a better position had Brighton paid 800k for him? I'd argue he would. 

-------------

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 12:54pm

Cheers. 

He's free to leave as his contract expires at end of season, also as hes over the age of 23 there will be no development fee.

Obviously the club have a bit of money to offer him an improved deal and the lure of European football again, but still won't be able to compete with the money across the water.

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Cheers. 

Sometimes I feel players are better off having the club pay a decent fee for them as they become more of an asset then. Would Towell be in a better position had Brighton paid 800k for him? I'd argue he would. 

Don't know about that, but they probably wouldn't have spent 800k only to never play him and buy new players in his position the next day

-------------

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 3:09pm
they should give him a lump sum to sign, easily worth 1m

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 3:20pm

Cheers. 

Don't know about that, but they probably wouldn't have spent 800k only to never play him and buy new players in his position the next day

That's my point by forcing clubs to pay for your services you know they'll take you more seriously on arrival. Doesn't really make sense that he was turning down clubs at the bottom of the Championship and League One to go to Brighton when this happens hours later. I'm sure he's happy with the wage packet but surely he wants to be playing ball. Hopefully Horgan doesn't make the same mistake, what a difference it would make if he hadn't left City. 

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

People like you nearly bankrupted the league a few years back!

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 4:48pm

That's my point by forcing clubs to pay for your services you know they'll take you more seriously on arrival. Doesn't really make sense that he was turning down clubs at the bottom of the Championship and League One to go to Brighton when this happens hours later. I'm sure he's happy with the wage packet but surely he wants to be playing ball. Hopefully Horgan doesn't make the same mistake, what a difference it would make if he hadn't left Sligo Rovers

Fixed this for you

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

difference between giving a jumped up journey man 2 grand a week to a guy who you are guaranteed to see a return on. He has produced in europe. Worth very bare minimum 1m. But l guess the prudent thing to do is let him go for nothing . they have the financial clout to turn down derisory offers too. How do you think clubs in small european leagues operate ffs. the league has been run by morons who were happy to let players go for a pittance and no doubt a little for themselves on the side. Clubs in denmark geting a minimum of 5 or 6 million of plaeyrs that are no better

-------------

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 5:22pm

difference between giving a jumped up journey man 2 grand a week to a guy who you are guaranteed to see a return on. He has produced in europe. Worth very bare minimum 1m. But l guess the prudent thing to do is let him go for nothing . they have the financial clout to turn down derisory offers too. How do you think clubs in small european leagues operate ffs. the league has been run by morons who were happy to let players go for a pittance and no doubt a little for themselves on the side. Clubs in denmark geting a minimum of 5 or 6 million of plaeyrs that are no better
And what happens if he smashes his leg soon after giving him the cash? Or he suddenly loses the appetite to push himself further?* Or any other reason a player's worth might drop. It would be beyond lunacy for Dundalk to do this.

*It appears he is a level headed lad, from what I have heard and read, making this unlikely, before anybody feels the need to point this out.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 6:36pm

Turn down what offers though? He can leave for free, nobody has to offer us anything

-------------

Posted By: liam_in_germany
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 6:42pm
Would be stunned if he wasnt off to england when his contract is up. Great player. Best player on the pitch last night by a mile

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Turn down what offers though? He can leave for free, nobody has to offer us anything
sort of my whole point on why to get him to sign

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

And what happens if he smashes his leg soon after giving him the cash? Or he suddenly loses the appetite to push himself further?* Or any other reason a player's worth might drop. It would be beyond lunacy for Dundalk to do this.

*It appears he is a level headed lad, from what I have heard and read, making this unlikely, before anybody feels the need to point this out.
so no league of Ireland player ever should sign a contract beyond 40 weeks... Missing my point, he will be gone either way, get a few quid for him. I'm not talking of fecking handing him a 100 grand a week 5 year contact ffs. You have to speculate to accumulate.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 6:58pm

so no league of Ireland player ever should sign a contract beyond 40 weeks... Missing my point, he will be gone either way, get a few quid for him. I'm not talking of fecking handing him a 100 grand a week 5 year contact ffs. You have to speculate to accumulate.
You said he was worth a lump sum of one millionConfused

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 8:45pm

if his contract was tied up... Obviously not worth anything if he does'nt which is my entire point.... It's a simple concept

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 8:49pm

if his contract was tied up... Obviously not worth anything if he does'nt which is my entire point.... It's a simple concept
Just completely illogical for all manner of obvious reasons.

-------------

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 9:03pm
Well its not illogical if Dundalk thought they could get more for him than they would pay him in any such "lump sum", but it would be a very risky business. Realistically an English team is unlikely to pay much over 100,000 for a LOI player so the amount they'd make off such a move is likely to be fairly limited anyhow.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Well its not illogical if Dundalk thought they could get more for him than they would pay him in any such "lump sum", but it would be a very risky business. Realistically an English team is unlikely to pay much over 100,000 for a LOI player so the amount they'd make off such a move is likely to be fairly limited anyhow.
So it isn't illogical but isn't logical, good man.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 9:15pm

sort of my whole point on why to get him to sign

But you are missing the point, how do you "get him to sign" a new contract? There is no reason for a LOI player as good as Horgan to sign a long term deal, makes it easier for him to get a move to the UK when he knows there will be no transfer fee while at the same time knowing if he doesn't get a move across the water he will get a deal here no problem

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 10:30pm

Where did I say it's not logical? They could conceivably make a small profit off such a move so therefore it could very easily be logical. Will they take that risk though, probably not.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 10:57pm

Where did I say it's not logical? They could conceivably make a small profit off such a move so therefore it could very easily be logical. Will they take that risk though, probably not.
All they would need for that is everything to be different.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 11:44pm

What? It basically comes down to the question "Do we believe we can gain more from this than it costs?". If the answer is yes then it's a logical move, at the moment they stand to neither gain nor lose anything from Horgan, if they can flip that situation and even make a small profit off him then it makes sense for both parties.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 11:49pm

What? It basically comes down to the question "Do we believe we can gain more from this than it costs?". If the answer is yes then it's a logical move, at the moment they stand to neither gain nor lose anything from Horgan, if they can flip that situation and even make a small profit off him then it makes sense for both parties.
And all the other factors? This may be the stupidest argument I have faced on the internet, this is insanity! Would a club whose average attendance is a few thousand be sensible in giving a footballer one million quid! I need a f**king beer

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 12:15am
I said nothing about 1 million quid, that was another poster so don't attribute it to me. They could for example offer Horgan say, 90,000 to sign a year long contract if they believed they could then sell him on for over 100,000. Horgan gets 90,000 in his back pocket and Dundalk make a profit off their asset, good business for everyone.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 12:23am

I said nothing about 1 million quid, that was another poster so don't attribute it to me. They could for example offer Horgan say, 90,000 to sign a year long contract if they believed they could then sell him on for over 100,000. Horgan gets 90,000 in his back pocket and Dundalk make a profit off their asset, good business for everyone.
They will presumably have tried to offer him a deal and presumably he will have refused. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 3:50am
They presumably couldn't offer him much or anything, notwithstanding the 5K offer from the father of the "football family" because they, like every other LOI club, have been hanging by their financial ball sack.  

The Uefa money will come in, but it looks like it will be too late. And the league will lose a seven figure value asset for nada when they're gaggin for some form of cash and/or investment. 

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 3:50am
One lad saying throw him a million quid and one saying LOI footballers rarely go for more than 100k. Just goes to show most lads haven't a clue until Gary Neville or Jamie Carragher tells them their opinion.

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 9:43am
One thing that will come of Dundalk's success is that they now can tie their players down to longer team deals.

It's a bit of a joke that he can leave for free and Forresster leaving for a pittance too.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 10:37am

One lad saying throw him a million quid and one saying LOI footballers rarely go for more than 100k. Just goes to show most lads haven't a clue until Gary Neville or Jamie Carragher tells them their opinion.

Well give us your verdict in that case oh great one, because I wouldn't be holding my breath on Neville or Carragher sitting down to have a drawn out discussion on the extent of LOI transfer fees.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 10:25am
Yes, tying lads down to deals whereby the club would get at least some pay-out if they moved would be a critical first step to making sustainable financial progress.  

Horgan leaving for nothing sticks badly in the throat in a league that needs all the money it can get (and not just a €5,000 handshake).

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 10:39am

Yes, tying lads down to deals whereby the club would get at least some pay-out if they moved would be a critical first step to making sustainable financial progress.  

Horgan leaving for nothing sticks badly in the throat in a league that needs all the money it can get (and not just a €5,000 handshake).
Just because they are from Dundalk doesn't mean they can put a gun to his head.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 5:37pm
Is it not obvious that Citizen meant the player would be worth around €1 million, he didn't mention giving Horgan €1 million quid ffs.....

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Is it not obvious that Citizen meant the player would be worth around €1 million, he didn't mention giving Horgan €1 million quid ffs.....

Citizen believes he's easily worth 1M and that may be true but will a Championship club pay that for him?
Hes been consistently playing well for Dundalk and no one was banging down his door at the end of last year. It's a very similar situation to Towell.

Richie Towell is on about E350k/year to sit on the Brighton bench and sometimes to sit at home. He was most likely given a decent signing on fee too.

The money involved for Dundalk to hold onto Horgan would be astronomical in LOI terms. They are after all playing in front of crowds of around 3k with zero TV money and shag all league prize money.

It's unfortunate that he's not on a longterm deal there but the reason he isn't is because he doesn't want one as that may put Championship clubs off.

LOI clubs need to get up to a level of professionalism where transfer fees can be demanded for their best players but they need to mix that with long term viability. It's a slow process and I expect alot more Daryl Horgan to go for nothing before its achieved.

Throwing "lump sums" around hoping to make it back is a gamble LOI clubs should not be taking. It was done before and the entire league nearly went out of existence and is only just recovering 10 years later with the likes of Shelbourne and Bohemians still carrying legacy debt in the millions. Which will hopefully be brought down to manageable levels with the Dalymount deal.

As has been said he could break his leg or lose form and where does that leave Dundalk?
If Horgan goes for nothing he goes for nothing, it's unfortunate but Dundalk will move on.
It can't be ignored that he's had a big part to play in Dundalk earning a lot of money in Europe so no one can say they haven't made a profit on him.

-------------

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 6:31pm
Currently on a bus en route to derry in young conor mcdermott's back pocket

-------------
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

While I get your point, you clearly have forgotten about a much more important league match in oriel just a few days ago

-------------

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 7:12pm

Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

While I get your point, you clearly have forgotten about a much more important league match in oriel just a few days ago

Not at all - horgan is a great talent. Young mcdermott is learning quick and takes the plaudits today. Games catching up on Horgan I think...hopefully more of the same on Tuesday.

2 best footballing sides in the league so should be a spectacle

-------------
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 10:20pm

Citizen believes he's easily worth 1M and that may be true but will a Championship club pay that for him?
Hes been consistently playing well for Dundalk and no one was banging down his door at the end of last year. It's a very similar situation to Towell.

Richie Towell is on about E350k/year to sit on the Brighton bench and sometimes to sit at home. He was most likely given a decent signing on fee too.

The money involved for Dundalk to hold onto Horgan would be astronomical in LOI terms. They are after all playing in front of crowds of around 3k with zero TV money and shag all league prize money.

It's unfortunate that he's not on a longterm deal there but the reason he isn't is because he doesn't want one as that may put Championship clubs off.

LOI clubs need to get up to a level of professionalism where transfer fees can be demanded for their best players but they need to mix that with long term viability. It's a slow process and I expect alot more Daryl Horgan to go for nothing before its achieved.

Throwing "lump sums" around hoping to make it back is a gamble LOI clubs should not be taking. It was done before and the entire league nearly went out of existence and is only just recovering 10 years later with the likes of Shelbourne and Bohemians still carrying legacy debt in the millions. Which will hopefully be brought down to manageable levels with the Dalymount deal.

As has been said he could break his leg or lose form and where does that leave Dundalk?
If Horgan goes for nothing he goes for nothing, it's unfortunate but Dundalk will move on.
It can't be ignored that he's had a big part to play in Dundalk earning a lot of money in Europe so no one can say they haven't made a profit on him.

If Horgan agrees a full 52 week contract with Dundalk at the end of the season, a sort of golden handshake to allow him to move for a fee (we'll say €300,000) wouldn't it be a nice sweetener for the club? I'm sure Horgan wouldn't say no to a €10,000 or €15,000 one off payment? 

Lets call a spade a spade here, Horgan is operating at a higher level on a personal level than probably any other player in the country right now (McMillan second) and once he get's into the Ireland squad Dundalk are bound to be inundated with enquiries? 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 10:58pm

If Horgan agrees a full 52 week contract with Dundalk at the end of the season, a sort of golden handshake to allow him to move for a fee (we'll say €300,000) wouldn't it be a nice sweetener for the club? I'm sure Horgan wouldn't say no to a €10,000 or €15,000 one off payment? 

Lets call a spade a spade here, Horgan is operating at a higher level on a personal level than probably any other player in the country right now (McMillan second) and once he get's into the Ireland squad Dundalk are bound to be inundated with enquiries? 

It's a moot point. He won't sign that contract.
He's already got about E50k from the European run.
Are you really suggesting that if Dundalk offer him 10k and 100k/year that he'll turn down Championship football?

He won't get into the Ireland squad on a consistent basis playing in Ireland.
He may get a token call up from MON similar to Rogers.
Dundalk could go out in CL QR2 next year and then he'll be forgotten. He won't get near the Ireland team playing a starring role against Finn Harps.

Serious question, do you watch LOI?
Dave McMillian isn't the second best player in that Dundalk team never mind the league.
He's having a stellar season and has scored some very important goals for them.
McGuire and Fagan are ahead of him as strikers.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 11:14pm

Are you really suggesting that if Dundalk offer him 10k and 100k/year that he'll turn down Championship football?

Dundalk could go out in CL QR2 next year and then he'll be forgotten. He won't get near the Ireland team playing a starring role against Finn Harps.

Dave McMillian isn't the second best player in that Dundalk team never mind the league.

Completely missing the whole point of my argument, I said it would be a good deal for Daryl and Dundalk which would give both the player and club security if a club from across the water came knocking. If he signs a new contract with an added payrise, it would increase his agent's bartering powers and would also allow Dundalk to command a fee. 

Did I say he would? But given his form in Europe, he has shown that he can operate at a higher level than the LOI. 

Or maybe they could go one better? Or maybe qualify for the EL group stage again?

I said McMillian is operating at an extremely high level and probably just a tad off the personal level Horgan is operating at, 5 goals in European football this campaign is some return. I didn't say he has better than Maguire or Fagan? 

Good man Bitored, you've single handed misinterpreted my whole argument.....

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 12:17am

Completely missing the whole point of my argument, I said it would be a good deal for Daryl and Dundalk which would give both the player and club security if a club from across the water came knocking. if he signs a new contract with an added payrise, it would increase his agent's bartering powers and would also allow Dundalk to command a fee. 

Did I say he would? But given his form in Europe, he has shown that he can operate at a higher level than the LOI. 

Or maybe they could go one better? Or maybe qualify for the EL group stage again?

I said McMillian is operating at an extremely high level and probably just a tad off the personal level Horgan is operating at, 5 goals in European football this campaign is some return. I didn't say he has better than Maguire or Fagan? 

Good man Bitored, you've single handed misinterpreted my whole argument.....

Possibly because it's a fundamentally flawed argument. a lot of ifs and maybes there. Don't go writing up any business plans whatever you do.

The crux of it is Horgan will not sign a long term contract. It wouldn't be in his interest to put off a Championship club by signing a long term contract. He's a LOI footballer there's no security in it and a LOI contract isn't worth the paper it is written on. Time and time again clubs go to players asking them to take pay cuts on contracts they've only signed months previously.

Previous to this season Dundalk wouldnt have been in a position to offer such a contract. Highlighted by the fact they've had to ask for an advance from UEFA on prize money to pay match costs.
To maintain a contract like you're talking about they would need to win the league and progress a round or 2 in Europe at a minimum for the duration of said contract.
An extremely risky business plan which has led to disaster for multiple clubs in the past.

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 7:55pm
We may aswell scrap the league of Ireland and call it a day if Daryl Horgan doesn't make the next Ireland squad.

He is on a different level to any other player in the country. He's destroyed too many teams to be ignored and the fact he's done it in the europa league seals a spot surely?

Sensational stuff from him tonight.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Darrener
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

We may aswell scrap the league of Ireland and call it a day if Daryl Horgan doesn't make the next Ireland squad.

He is on a different level to any other player in the country. He's destroyed too many teams to be ignored and the fact he's done it in the europa league seals a spot surely?

Sensational stuff from him tonight.

Correct

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 8:10pm
MON will probably name him in his provo Austria squad to placate the media then cut him. 

-------------

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 8:35pm
DH has been a class act tonight.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 8:41pm
Is Daryl Horgan Damien Duff's long lost brother?

-------------

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 8:48pm
Brilliant goal  Clap

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Uncanny

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Uncanny

Looks like a cross between Duff and McClean tbh!

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 9:46pm
If O'Dowda made it on the pitch the other night you have to wonder what Horgan has to do to warrant a spot, nevermind game time.

Not knocking O'Dowda, off the back of a fantastic season but currently a bit part player for Bristol this season.

League one and LOI are same level and playing/doing brilliantly in Europe is well beyond the Championship.

Id have argued before now wasnt the time to be introducing him, but we absolutely had nobody to bring on and change a game when we needed it in the last 2 games the way Horgan could influence a game.

I feel this is whole Weso situation all over again from 10yrs+ ago.

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 10:29pm
He'll be in the squad for Austria. O'Neill said he didn't call him up as he had so many games at the moment. Supposing he did play v Moldova, he may have gotten injured and Dundalk wouldn't have pulled away from Cork tonight. Plenty of time!

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 10:37pm
If someone playing for Bristol City can make the team then surely he can.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

League one and LOI are same level and playing/doing brilliantly in Europe is well beyond the Championship.

I fully believe Horgan should be in the Ireland squad as he's a sensational prospect. Very possibly the best one we have alongside Jack Byrne.

But what you've said is nonsense.
League One is a fulltime league.
The Championship is the 7th richest league in Europe.
The standards in those leagues are much higher than the LOI.

There are wildly differing standards in the league of Ireland.
You have players like Sean Maguire and Horgan who will hopefully progress to full Ireland international level.
But then you've got players in the PD who wouldn't get a look in, in the Leinster Senior League.

Even at Cork Kenny Browne is woefully overweight for a man who makes his living from football. There are too many fellas with pot bellies playing in this league.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 10:51pm
I think its beyond obvious he has to be in the squad now.  I don't think even O'Neill can turn down the media pressure to have him included

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 10:52pm
Should of been in the squad for the last two games and should definately be in the squad next month. Hopefully O Neill doesnt come up with another excuse to leave him out (ie out of season so not match fit).

I think O Neill will name him in his provisional squad and cut him when it gets reduced. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 10:56pm
Horgan being selected or not could have a massive influence on the league of ireland and what its future is. If he is selected the league could really pick up and become a respectable standard in a few years with young players seeing it as genuine chance to make a career. However if he is left out of the squad it will be near impossible to get young players to join u17/19 squads over english academies. 

-------------

Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 11:09pm

I fully believe Horgan should be in the Ireland squad as he's a sensational prospect. Very possibly the best one we have alongside Jack Byrne.

You have players like Sean Maguire and Horgan who will hopefully progress to full Ireland international level.
But then you've got players in the PD who wouldn't get a look in, in the Leinster Senior League.

Even at Cork Kenny Browne is woefully overweight for a man who makes his living from football. There are too many fellas with pot bellies playing in this league.
i dont think there are to many pot bellies in the league nowadays. Ud get the odd porker in any league if u looked hard enuf.

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 11:21pm
Just had a look at Dundalk's fixtures between now and the Austria game. From Friday 14th October to Sunday 6th November they have 8 games. That's a lot of games but he could easily join up with the Ireland squad on the Wednesday and still be a viable option from the bench in Vienna.

Posted By: Mr.Mojo Risin'
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

Should of been in the squad for the last two games and should definately be in the squad next month. Hopefully O Neill doesnt come up with another excuse to leave him out (ie out of season so not match fit).

I think O Neill will name him in his provisional squad and cut him when it gets reduced. 

Well he wouldn't get away with that. The last league game is the 28th Oct. and then they have Zenit on the 3rd Nov before the cup final on the 6th. We play Austria the 12th. 

-------------
Ahh heya!

Posted By: Mr.Mojo Risin'
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 11:35pm
I reckon he'll get called into the squad alright. But let's be honest, there's no way MON is gonna give him any minutes in a big game like Austria away. Or Wales at home for that matter. He'll most likely have to wait until the Uruguay friendly to make an impression. 

-------------
Ahh heya!

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

i dont think there are to many pot bellies in the league nowadays. Ud get the odd porker in any league if u looked hard enuf.

Mark O'Sullivan
Keith Tracey
Kenny Browne
Paul Murphy
Chris Lyons

Plus many more.

Far too many if the league is serious about producing Irish internationals.
It's nonsense to talk about league one and the Championship as lesser leagues for the reasons I've I've already pointed out.

-------------

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 2:06am
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

If someone playing for Bristol City can make the team then surely he can.

5th in the Championship at the minute. In any case Horgan deserves a call up to see what he can do.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Mr.Mojo Risin' Mr.Mojo Risin' wrote:

Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

Well he wouldn't get away with that. The last league game is the 28th Oct. and then they have Zenit on the 3rd Nov before the cup final on the 6th. We play Austria the 12th. 

And their next Game is 24th of November so he can't say Dundalk need him for Europe.
He has no games between 7th and 23rd of November so no excuse not to bring him into the Squad.

I think he will be included but don't expect him to start or play. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 10:48am
If we are losing and O'Neill brings on Horgan i'd love to see how it'd be painted by the RTE panel and the papers then, i'd say there'd be a fairly rapid u-turn

"Desperate O'Neill throws player from a part-time league into the heat of battle in must-win game in Austria, hasn't a clue"

-------------

Posted By: Daragho
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 10:56am
He'll be named in the squad and then cut. Same as happened with Forrester.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:03am

Well I think you are being a bit harsh on the pot bellies, you see the odd one across league 1 and 2 too,Cambridge have a lad who lasts ten minutes and collapses at the minute, otherwise you speak sense.

-------------

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:05am
Scored a wonderful goal last night but I thought his overall play was very moderate after the goal. 

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:07am
I'm a big fan of him. I do think his goal last night summed the entire situation up really nicely. Beats a man, runs into the opposition half and scores from outside the box - brilliant. But he will never, ever in a million years get that time and space at international level. Keeper should have had it and the defenders backed off him all the way up to the edge of the Cork box. I think he should be in the squad, it'd do us no harm with some of the lads stealing a spot at the minute. But we were also in the same boat with Towell last year. Horgan is a wonderful talent but it's going to be a big step up with him.

If he plays against Austria he'll be up against players the quality of which he has played maybe 3-5 games against at most. AZ and Maccabi would get relegated from the Premier League easily. So that's a massive risk. He shouldnt be started, nor thrown unless we are absolutely desperate and have literally no better options, even though he looks for all the world like a serious talent. His time will come

-------------

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:18am

Beats a man, runs into the opposition half and scores from outside the box - brilliant. But he will never, ever in a million years get that time and space at international level.

Sounds a small bit like the Moldova goal on Sunday night - only the Moldovan didn't even need to beat the man... never ever get the time... really???

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:47am
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

Beats a man, runs into the opposition half and scores from outside the box - brilliant. But he will never, ever in a million years get that time and space at international level.

Sounds a small bit like the Moldova goal on Sunday night - only the Moldovan didn't even need to beat the man... never ever get the time... really???

Ok fair enough, he will get that time and space against Moldova. Or Gibraltar or San Marino. But that's hardly why we're bringing him in? Conor Sammon could have scored that goal the Moldovan lad did too

-------------

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 12:51pm

Ok fair enough, he will get that time and space against Moldova. Or Gibraltar or San Marino. But that's hardly why we're bringing him in? Conor Sammon could have scored that goal the Moldovan lad did too
He got the space because it was a 3 v 2 and the strikers peeled into the pockets opening up space. Also the man he beat has 2 Irish caps.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he is likely to dislodge McClean, but he is clearly good enough to add cover.

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net