You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Athletics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 10:00pm
Definitely the most interesting period for Irish athletics in a long time. Obviously it was just the European Under 23 Championships but, even still, it was great watching an Irish 1-2 because it's just not something you ever really see on athletics.

Andrew Coscoran broke his own Irish 1500m record today as well, finishing fourth in a Diamond League meeting. And Rhasidat Adeleke has confirmed she's turning pro.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 10:49pm
O'Sullivan her mothers daughter. That kick coming around the final bend
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2023 at 8:52am
Some run by Mageen.

5th fastest run ever.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2023 at 10:01am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Some run by Mageen.

5th fastest run ever.
must be a serious medal hope for Paris ?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2023 at 10:40am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Some run by Mageen.

5th fastest run ever.
must be a serious medal hope for Paris ?
Medals are outside her reach.... making the final would be a great achievement.... World Championship next month first to come 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2023 at 11:47am
She is a medal hope, most major Champs are not won at WR pace, they are usually tactical.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2023 at 12:33pm
She's a medal possibility if she can keep this form up for another year, she'll be 32 when Paris comes around so it will be her last shot. Very unlikely that she'll be a medal favourite, but the nature of the 1500m means that she could come third as easily as tenth, so that makes her a medal possibility. Rhasidat probably has a bigger chance though, and we have far better Olympic prospects than either in some of the other sports.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 10:12am
I've been keeping an eye on the EYOF - European Youth Olympic Festival

A good few Irish competing in a number of sports - anyway the mens 1500 Sean Cronin is probably gold favourite after winning bronze last year.

Coming down the home straight and he's been over taken by 3/4 lads - he's now lost a medal and they are spread out in lanes 3 to 6 - instead of focusing on trying to catch 3rd place - he just obstructs the other 2 lads and eventually throws one of the lads off the track and he hits the deck. He got disqualified.

Team Ireland took down a load of tweets about his new PB etc.. 

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 8:57am
Two more of our super youth talent shining at the U20 Euros - Elizabeth Ndudi winning gold in the long jump and Nick Griggs winning silver in the 3000. Hopefully they are all given the support needed to stick with T&F. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 9:22am
I've watched most of the u20 and u23 Europeans recently - the overall performances of the team seems to be on the up, no longer just taking part but putting on strong performances.

Some jumping from Ndudi. 

6.86 is what she needs for Paris 24 - very unlikely, but she still might get in as part of top 32.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2023 at 7:27am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

She's the real deal alright.

She will go sub 50 in the Worlds and win a medal - I'm hoping that Femke Bol and Sydney McLaughlin both stick to the hurdles.
Bol broke the 400m indoor world record - she's an incredible athlete.
Excuse my ignorance but what type of level is she do ya reckon? Olympic finalist level?
  Derval O'Rourke said she thinks she has a chance at a medal in Paris 
Sydney Mc out through injury 
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2023 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

She's the real deal alright.

She will go sub 50 in the Worlds and win a medal - I'm hoping that Femke Bol and Sydney McLaughlin both stick to the hurdles.
Bol broke the 400m indoor world record - she's an incredible athlete.
Excuse my ignorance but what type of level is she do ya reckon? Olympic finalist level?
  Derval O'Rourke said she thinks she has a chance at a medal in Paris 
Sydney Mc out through injury 

That's huge. I reckon rhasidat will medal
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2023 at 10:20am
Had a look at the Irish final/medal hopes for Paris, Rhasidat and McGeehan. Both are on the nights of the 100m and 200m male finla,s and relay finals, aka the most demand events. Tickets start at €300+ for eitehr night
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 8:57am
The Worlds are starting today in Budapest.

It's the biggest team Ireland have sent, most have not met the (extremely difficult) qualifying criteria but have accepted an invitation to complete to make up the numbers.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 11:12am
My mate is big into athletics and is gone over to Budapest for it. Said that the same ticket he had for London that cost £90 cost €10 for Budapest.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 11:47am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

My mate is big into athletics and is gone over to Budapest for it. Said that the same ticket he had for London that cost £90 cost €10 for Budapest.

Orban ploughs money into sport as part of his populist agenda. Doubt your mate minds though, it's good value that! 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 2:12pm
Mageean and Healy through from the 1500 heats. Sophie O'Sullivan gave it a good shot but i just don't think she has the speed when required. Mageran was comfortable. Should be up there for a medal or close.
I love beer gardens
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 2:15pm
O'Sullivan knocked 5 seconds off her PB.  Read my previous comments about her ^.

She also finished 8th overall in the heats out of a possible 56. An unbelievable run. But her 8th position means she does not qualify.

Her best last year was 4:17 and only 4 other Irish women have run faster than her.

Edited by horsebox - 19 Aug 2023 at 2:17pm
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>
  Share Topic