Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dundalk FC Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 91>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 9:11pm
Id also like to see them bring back the harp lager sponser and the old half black half white jerseys of the 90s....
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 9:19pm
I have no idea what they see in Dundalk.  How do they plan on making money from them?

From what I read a stadium upgrade is on the cards and I presume new players so are they willing to make a loss for the next few years?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I have no idea what they see in Dundalk.  How do they plan on making money from them?

From what I read a stadium upgrade is on the cards and I presume new players so are they willing to make a loss for the next few years?
im sure they are hoping the investment will possibly guarantee dundalk winning the league most if not every year for the forseeable future and they make as much money out of europe as they can.
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 9:38pm
100% of the club? Fecking eejits.

Edited by AnCearrbhach - 18 Jan 2018 at 11:18pm
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 10:17pm

TJ : Any truth to the rumour that the paid for the club in Bitcoin with their Revolut card ?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

TJ : Any truth to the rumour that the paid for the club in Bitcoin with their Revolut card ?

Knowing the people of Dundalk it's a possibility but they won't see the Bitcoins in their wallets until they get them back from the wallet inspector

Edited by Trap junior - 18 Jan 2018 at 10:25pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 10:32pm
Is harp lager coming back or not
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 8:46am

Might be able to see the match from the away end so Wink..............

Dundalk is a small enough town and is unlikely to ever attract more than 3,000 regularly (3,000 is about 10% of the towns total population). They have fans from Ardee and smaller neighbouring towns to be fair but the club is unlikely to see any sizable increase in gate revenue. There is very little other local income streams, so  the assumption could be made is that they are using Dundalk as a conduit to earn money from competing in Europe every year. 

Aside from that I can only think of the new owners establishing a facility for the development of youth system to export players for profit or being a feeder/developmental club for Bournemouth. Or both. This I think is the more likely scenario.

Of course, the doomsday situation for Dundalk is that its a land grab - Oriel Park being perfectly located next to the train station on the Dublin to Belfast line in a town a few miles from the border between North and South. With Brexit fast approaching, the land on which Oriel Pk stands would be a developers dream. Hope the land has been registered for recreational purposes only.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 19 Jan 2018 at 8:59am
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 8:55am
Didn't Bournemouth have a similar story to Dundalk in recent years - i.e. financial trouble - bailed out by locals who supported the team and steadied the ship..
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Dundalk is a small enough town and is unlikely to ever attract more than 3,000 regularly (3,000 is about 10% of the towns total population). They have fans from Ardee and smaller neighbouring towns to be fair but the club is unlikely to see any sizable increase in gate revenue. There is very little other local income streams, so  the assumption could be made is that they are using Dundalk as a conduit to earn money from competing in Europe every year. 

Aside from that I can only think of the new owners establishing a facility for the development of youth system to export players for profit or being a feeder/developmental club for Bournemouth. Or both. This I think is the more likely scenario.

Of course, the doomsday situation for Dundalk is that its a land grab - Oriel Park being perfectly located next to the train station on the Dublin to Belfast line in a town a few miles from the border between North and South. With Brexit fast approaching, the land on which Oriel Pk stands would be a developers dream. Hope the land has been registered for recreational purposes only.

They dont own the Oriel outright, The Casey family still own all the land. On a lease for hundreds of years that only football will be played on it
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 10:05am
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Didn't Bournemouth have a similar story to Dundalk in recent years - i.e. financial trouble - bailed out by locals who supported the team and steadied the ship..

Yes, to  a point. But they were then taken over by a Russian businessman who has supplied most of the money to get them to where they are now. The American investors are only on-board around 2 years I think. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

They dont own the Oriel outright, The Casey family still own all the land. On a lease for hundreds of years that only football will be played on it

That's good..........
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
02ba_rebel View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02ba_rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 11:17am
This will end in tears.
sullo-bohs View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sullo-bohs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 11:19am
I just can't see where any money is going to be made by them, if it's all based on selling players for high fees and European money it seems pretty foolish, I'd hope there's some kind of fan involvement behind the scenes to keep an eye on what these guys are up to but a 100% share I guess dismisses that.

Investors and LOI just don't mix, I can't see how this is any different.
"Napoleon chose his generals because they were lucky, not because they were brave"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 11:40am
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

100% of the club? Fecking eejits.

My first reaction too. I can't see this ending well.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 11:54am
How much money could these investors even hope to make by qualifying Dundalk for the Europa League?

Reportedly they’ve bought the club for well over a million. If they increases wages and running costs, then there won’t be much spare change from making 5-6 million euro in prize money, if the club manages to qualify for the EL group stages maybe once in four or five years.

Unless they think that they can bring in a few Bournemouth youth players on loan, and qualify on the cheap, which isn’t particularly likely.
RKBarmyArmy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKBarmyArmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

How much money could these investors even hope to make by qualifying Dundalk for the Europa League?

Reportedly they’ve bought the club for well over a million. If they increases wages and running costs, then there won’t be much spare change from making 5-6 million euro in prize money, if the club manages to qualify for the EL group stages maybe once in four or five years.

Unless they think that they can bring in a few Bournemouth youth players on loan, and qualify on the cheap, which isn’t particularly likely.

Think Brexit preparation, common travel area, special arrangement between Ireland and UK, trafficking of young footballers, and you may very well be onto something. 

I cant see any way of this ending well but they've made their bed now. 
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by 02ba_rebel 02ba_rebel wrote:

This will end in tears.
hopefully..............Big smile

they'll end up ground sharing with us in utd park
Come on Irelind
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 91>
  Share Topic