Forum Description: All League Of Ireland Teams Forum
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=52599
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 6:03am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Dundalk FC Thread
Posted By: tribalarmy
Subject: Dundalk FC Thread
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 10:41pm
Deserved Champions. A joy to watch at times with Towell, Horgan, Meenan and Finn in attack. Excellent job done by Stephen Kenny.

Less than 3 years ago Dundalk were heading down to the RSC in the 2nd leg of the play-off after drawing the first leg at Oriel Park. They won 2-0. Now they've won back to back titles and have a cup final to look forward to. Waterford meanwhile won 4 matches all season and finished bottom of the first division..and have Roddy as their manager.

I think Chris Shields is the only play left from that squad.

Replies:
Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 10:47pm
Well done Dundalk. By far the best side in the league. Will be interesting to see what way it goes when Towell and horgan leave.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 3:03am
Well done Dundalk.
Clap.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?url=http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/champions-dundalk-retain-their-title-in-tallaght-31597261.html&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ved=0CBkQqQIwAWoVChMI0r2t2ee2yAIVRTsaCh1PNQU3&usg=AFQjCNHjmf4neNuWlzO42SQMQZszWjXt2g" rel="nofollow - CHAMPIONS - Dundalk retain their title in Tallaght
Irish Independent -

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 2:23pm
Well done lads, worthy winners. Hope to f**k we burst the double bubble in Dublin

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Jason Kelly
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 3:49pm
Well done Thumbs Up

Posted By: Xpro
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 11:40pm
One defeat all season says it all. Well done Kenny & Co and you`ve set the standard for the rest of us next season. Any chance of releasing Dane Massey to the Hoops? :)

-------------
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 8:57am
What a night Friday was, wasn't a vintage performance by any means but still did what we needed to do, great night back in the lilywhite after it.

I know Kenny won't ever admit it but inside he must have been delighted to win up there after the way he was treated.

That' 11 titles for us now, level with Bohs and the first time winning back to back titles, something the great teams in the 70's and 80's never achieved, to add a cup to that would be amazing.

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 9:00am
Oh and what was with the pitch invasion the other night? that's about 4 of them from the shamrocks against us in the last 2 years. They really need to sort this issue out, it's becoming very embarrassing for them 

-------------

Posted By: Tony Cousins
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

I know Kenny won't ever admit it but inside he must have been delighted to win up there after the way he was treated.

How was he badly treated?

He lost a derby 5-1 to pats when he wasn't man enough to go into the dressing room at half time.

He was humiliated 3-0 to title rivals sligo when he gave a child his goal keeping debut.

He was hammered 4-0 in the derby, to ,without a shadow of a doubt, one of the worst boez teams since their amateur days.

He cost the club a fortune by being knocked out of europe by a pub team from Lithuania.

If anything he was treated too well at Rovers by being given too much time. He should have been given his marching orders after the derby defeat, a mistake we are still paying for now.

Posted By: RKBarmyArmy
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 10:28am
Congrats Dundalk on back to back titles. Its a pity Shamrocks, City, Pats can't step it up to that level because this season especially, its been such a poor league. 

Posted By: HelloBarry
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 10:30am
I think that issue is regarding with the tickets, though there was a statement telling that all tickets were given to Dundalk

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/shamrock-rovers-tell-dundalk-fans-stay-home-section-121212608--spt.html#4b5UakT

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 10:57am
Shoco, fair play on retaining a title, very hard to do. Kenny bombed badly at Rovers, simple as.

He has bounced back remarkably well.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

How was he badly treated?

He lost a derby 5-1 to pats when he wasn't man enough to go into the dressing room at half time.

He was humiliated 3-0 to title rivals sligo when he gave a child his goal keeping debut.

He was hammered 4-0 in the derby, to ,without a shadow of a doubt, one of the worst boez teams since their amateur days.

He cost the club a fortune by being knocked out of europe by a pub team from Lithuania.

If anything he was treated too well at Rovers by being given too much time. He should have been given his marching orders after the derby defeat, a mistake we are still paying for now.
This. He got too long if anything, it was very obvious very quickly that he was out of his depth.
Dundalk fans seem determined to make something out of nothing here. Some managers just don't work even though on paper they should. Kenny was a rabbit in the headlights from day one and fundamentally failed to understand what was expected of him and seemed to have issues working with everyone at the club from players, his own backroom staff and the board and signed appallingly bad players.  Credit to him for bouncing back and learning from his mistakes at Rovers - everything he has done at Dundalk was the literal opposite to how he did it at Rovers.

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 6:04pm
Please please please let us win on Friday

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Posted By: Bo Jackson
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Guf10 Guf10 wrote:

+1. For the love of jesus, let us win!

-------------
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!

Posted By: tony grealish
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 9:32am
Congratulations to Dundalk, I don't think there can be any dispute that they were the best team by a distance over the course of the season. It was also nice to be there to see Bohs beat them at Oriel - a mere bump in the road for Dundalk on the way to winning the league but a great effort from our lads on the night. Anyway, well done.Clap

-------------
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''

Posted By: Twoinarow
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Originally posted by Guf10 Guf10 wrote:

+1. For the love of jesus, let us win!

I fully expect a fully professional Dundalk performance Friday. These lads want to win the league by as many points as possible so sorry lads can only see 1 outcome, 2/3 goal win for us.

Shields/Mountany/Kilduff/Mennan/McMillan all playing for their cup final places helps aswell obviously

Posted By: scottyccfc
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 10:24am
Dundalk have 8 full time paid backroom staff? Is this correct? No wonder they are miles ahead with fitness.
Where does all this money come from? (Genuine question not a typical LOI dig)

-------------
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

Dundalk have 8 full time paid backroom staff? Is this correct? No wonder they are miles ahead with fitness.
Where does all this money come from? (Genuine question not a typical LOI dig)

Fyffes are heavily sponsoring them aren't they? Not a LOI dig either. Backroom expertise is invaluable at clubs and if it has to be paid for so be it. It's not fair to be asking the same people volunteer continuously and then slaughtering them when they may mistakes.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 3:28pm
Which makes it all the more irritating that the first think Kenny did at Rovers was fire the full time backroom staff, including the S&C coach....

Completely agree with the sentiment though, I think a full time S&C coach and physio is vital, more clubs should sacrifice that extra player or two and use the money for the above.

-------------

Posted By: Tony Cousins
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 3:55pm
If clubs don't copy Dundalk's approach to strength and conditioning, then Dundalk will go ahead and do 4 in a Row or maybe more.

It's not just that they are fitter on the pitch, it's also that they can put out their first choice team most weeks. Even Stevie O'Donnell doesn't seem to get the niggling injuries he used to always have, the only period he's missed in 3 years has been for a very serious injury.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 4:36pm
I think they are, certainly post Kenny Rovers have a full time S&C coach. A major factor is also that Dundalk by and large have kept the same team together for 3 years. Players who aren't used to that sort of intensity of training need time to adapt to it, Dundalk have been over that hump.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 4:43pm
The real test of this Dundalk side will be when Towell and Horgan surely leave in the winter. Then they'll have to rebuild. They never really replaced hogan with a like for like player, just other players around the team stepped up with goals.

-------------

Posted By: Conroy
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 7:07pm
Its all well and good having a S&C coach but its more important to have a squad with the mentality to embrace the information he gives them. The whole Dundalk are the fittest in the league has been over hyped as an easy way to describe the reason for Dundalk being so far ahead of the rest of the league.

As for rebuilding the squad, when Hoban left many pundits and general LOI fans said we would struggle to replace his goals. Which has proved not to be the case, Id trust Kenny to find suitable replacements for anyone who moves to pastures greater.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 7:16pm
That bit about embracing the ideas is true. From what I heard O'Donnell saying on SR the other night no one is forcing them to do gym work. They all know if they don't they will fall out of the first team.
I'd be of the opinion that the bare minimum any League of Ireland player should be doing is 4-5 gym sessions a week. A decent jog/run after that would hardly be excessive for players playing in the national league. Unfortunately that's not the case and why Dundalks work is exceptional.

-------------

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 10:44pm
Well deserved Dundalk. A joy to watch in action .

Posted By: newrygreen
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 11:01pm
Got my ticket for the final today. Looking forward to it

-------------
Twitter: @50SavesOfDeGea

Posted By: Xpro
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 12:28am
"Shoco" - that pitch invasion from Rovers fans is nothing to be alarmed about. I`d prob have done the same when I was an excitable teenager :) It`s harmless stuff and nothing more than a spillover of emotion after scoring against a top side.

Looking back, I think the timing of Kenny`s appointment in Tallaght was unfortunate. He came in to replace a very successful Michael O`Neill and expectations were at a premium. Kenny ticked all the boxes including being a Tallaght native and having been around the block in management, both here, up North, and in Scotland. He must have looked like the perfect fit for the Rovers board but for whatever reason, results didn`t go his way. 

-------------
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz

Posted By: The U
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 12:41am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

That bit about embracing the ideas is true. From what I heard O'Donnell saying on SR the other night no one is forcing them to do gym work. They all know if they don't they will fall out of the first team.

Agree with this. Especially when those lads see the shape Richie Towell is in and the success he has it must push them on also

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 1:06pm
The 4 goals last night broke a 92 year old record for the most goals scored in a season, brought our total to 78 beating the previous record of 77 (albeit with less games)

Two goals for Towell brought him to 25 for the season, equalling the premier division record of Byrne and crowe

-------------

Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 1:20pm
Finish with the double next week I reckon!!!!

-------------
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 11:37pm
Fair play to Dundalk, just won the RTE team of the year award! Beat off some unreal competition! Ireland soccer team, boxing team, Ireland rugby team!

-------------

Posted By: stillkeith
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 12:10am
Dundalk deserved it. I'm surprised that they won it i taught the rugby team were gonna get it.

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 2:03pm
Some Twitter meltdown over it, the Dublin bogballers are not very gracious!

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 5:39pm

I wouldn't tar GAA people with the same brush. It just says a lot about a particular element of Dubs.

-------------

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 5:53pm
They probably thought that you automatically get an award just for showing up.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 6:18pm
thoroughly deserved...glad they got the recognition...a great team!

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 12:30pm

I wouldn't tar GAA people with the same brush. It just says a lot about a particular element of Dubs.
There is a sense of entitlement there. Kenny wasn't in the running for the manager award because he didn't win a monthly award - every September they split the manager and teams of the month to the winners of the two GAA cups. Every year, regardless of the fact it was the two red hot favourites who did it this year. No other sport gets the same treatment.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 1:04pm
Kenny was nominated for manager of the year

http://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2015/1212/753109-rte-sport-awards/" rel="nofollow - http://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2015/1212/753109-rte-sport-awards/

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 1:11pm
That is because I am thinking of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philips_Sports_Manager_of_the_Year" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philips_Sports_Manager_of_the_Year

-------------

Posted By: deiseblue
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 1:40pm

Perhaps Dubs fans should reflect on the fact that Dundalk don't get to play all their games at home !

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 10:14am
What is the story in Dundalk? Is this Matthews chap really pulling the plug on Oriel, or is it a load of crap?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 10:44am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

What is the story in Dundalk? Is this Matthews chap really pulling the plug on Oriel, or is it a load of crap?

A load of crap! We will be playing in Oriel this season 100%

Next season God knows though!

-------------
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght

Posted By: Nah Nah Nah Nah
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

A load of crap! We will be playing in Oriel this season 100%

Next season God knows though!

So it's not a load of crap then

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 10:53am
Indeed, there must be some doubts about this season too. Bizarre.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 11:27am

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Sure they can always share with their mates in Belfast...Dunfield FC

Well considering our little scumbag fans were fighting with the Cliftonville fans on Tuesday night during and after the game, maybe we will play in Windsor Smile

I wouldnt pass any remarks of that article in the Irish News, il wait till the club make a statement as GM is well known to talk complete bull to newspapers
In other words, you haven't a notion. Thanks. Anybody have any insight into what is happening?

Its pretty simple
GM wants 100,000 from the club and then he will knock down YDC and hand over the lease.
or 
GM wants 250,000 from the club and they can keep the YDC and get the lease.

The club have been telling him for 2 years now to f**k Off!

This was the exact same situation last season!

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 11:33am
Then why are you waiting for the club to make a statement?Or expressing concern for next season? 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 11:42am

Then why are you waiting for the club to make a statement?Or expressing concern for next season? 

Because the article in the Irish Times claims we will struggle to get a licence. Having spoken to Paul Brown recently he laughed off suggestions we would not get a licence.

So I will wait for the club to come out and tell us all the Irish Times are talking sh*te about the licence part!

Maybe we will get the Louth County Council to build us a stadium, maybe not! Who knows, 1 things 100% sure, we will be in Oriel for the 2016 season.

Whats GM going to do with Oriel if theres no football on? Theres a legal agreement that Oriel can only be used for football, so unless he is going to start a new football team, he's f**ked! He's just holding out for as much money as he can get

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 11:48am
The article clearly states what we all know; no ground = no licence. Gerry Matthews knows this too, both parties clearly need each other, It is highly likely an agreement will be reached, but I see no reason for you being 100% sure of anything, especially when you are giving no reason to be.

-------------

Posted By: RKBarmyArmy
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 11:51am
Now is the time to sort it out, especially with Champions League money coming in two years in a row. There will be a time when Dundalk will not have that money to go to and they'll look back and ask why they didnt just sort it then. 

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 11:54am

The article clearly states what we all know; no ground = no licence. Gerry Matthews knows this too, both parties clearly need each other, It is highly likely an agreement will be reached, but I see no reason for you being 100% sure of anything, especially when you are giving no reason to be.

If we cant (which wont happen) play in Oriel, we will play in the Showgrounds, United Park or Monaghan so we will get a licence!

Apart from Paul Brown (The owner of the club) saying we will 100% get a licence, il take his word over the Irish Times!

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 12:07pm
Taking the word of club officials over the Irish Times is a dangerous game.

You are contradicting yourself - there is either an issue or there is not. And there clearly is, but how much of it is saber rattling is the question.

But at this moment in time Dundalk do not have a home venue for 2016 which means no licence. If you believe that isn't an issue, good for you. The idea that you are proud of the fact your club are telling the stadium owner to whistle for money is very, very ominous.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 12:08pm
If Dundalk cannot satisfy these conditions it does not appear to be eligible for a license that is based on it playing at Oriel. It would have to come up with an alternative plan, most likely one involving the use of United Park, some 20 miles away in Drogheda.

Just to confirm the piece. I am sure that is what Brown wants too.

Look you may very well be right, but you have nothing to back it up accept the word of the owner and, as everybody knows, no league of Ireland owner has ever lied. Ever!

-------------

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 12:17pm
DKIT project could be back on so

Surely this should have It's own thread? Or be in anyone bar this one

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

You are contradicting yourself - there is either an issue or there is not. And there clearly is, but how much of it is saber rattling is the question.

But at this moment in time Dundalk do not have a home venue for 2016 which means no licence. If you believe that isn't an issue, good for you. The idea that you are proud of the fact your club are telling the stadium owner to whistle for money is very, very ominous.

GM does not own the stadium!

When you have a clue what your talking about, il listen to your opinion!

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 12:52pm
Changed the title to just Dundalk FC. I'll move other stadium stuff here from the other thread.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 12:54pm

Its pretty simple
GM wants 100,000 from the club and then he will knock down YDC and hand over the lease.
or 

Maybe owner was the wrong word, but the reality is that you have had issues with your lease for years and refused to engage. Here it is coming to a head.

But there is no issue you say. But you also say you might have to play in Sligo or Monaghan.  Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 1:02pm

Its pretty simple
or 

Maybe owner was the wrong word, but the reality is that you have had issues with your lease for years and refused to engage. Here it is coming to a head.

But there is no issue you say. But you also say you might have to play in Sligo or Monaghan.  Confused

Who mentioned Sligo? 

If we are not playing in Oriel in 2017, we will be playing in Monaghan, Drogheda or Newry....Nowhere did I mention Sligo

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 1:14pm

Its pretty simple
or 

if you had to even read the article....

PS. i'm not even going to entertain you on this so don't bother replying, but read the article again

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 1:22pm

Its pretty simple
or 

Did you even read the article or know anything about it you clown!

There's been discussions with GM and the owners for 3 years now

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 1:27pm
To be fair to RTID, the fact that there has been problems here before is the reason I think there is something to it.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 1:34pm

To be fair to RTID, the fact that there has been problems here before is the reason I think there is something to it.

RTID said "but the reality is that you have had issues with your lease for years and refused to engage"

If he even read the article he would have seen thats not true!

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 1:48pm

<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">RTID said "but the reality is that you have had issues with your lease for years and refused to engage"</span>

<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>

Not agreeing with him there, just the fact that it is now an annual issue makes me think it will eventually come to a head, one way or another.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 1:51pm

RTID said "but the reality is that you have had issues with your lease for years and refused to engage"

I am talking about what YOU said - that the club, as you so eloquently put it, told GM to f*** off over a couple of seasons. As PM says, this issue didn't just come up last week.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 2:23pm
The club have been telling him to f**k off regarding the amount of money GM thinks the YDC is worth, but hey you believe what you want!

Were did you get that the club have not engaged with him? cause thats what you said.

Will we put it down to another one of your lies, and when your caught out you pretend you were talking about something else!

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 3:32pm

The club have been telling him to f**k off regarding the amount of money GM thinks the YDC is worth, but hey you believe what you want!

Were did you get that the club have not engaged with him? cause thats what you said.

Will we put it down to another one of your lies, and when your caught out you pretend you were talking about something else!

You are such an auld wan.

YOU said the club told GM to "f**k off" two years running.

Yet I am lying when I suggest that means you haven't engaged properly  in an issue that has been dragging on for years.

You really couldn't make this stuff up.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 3:36pm

You are such an auld wan.

YOU said the club told GM to "f**k off" two years running.

Yet I am lying when I suggest that means you haven't engaged properly  in an issue that has been dragging on for years.

You really couldn't make this stuff up.

I said the club told GM to f**k off as, he has built the YDC on land he had no permission too, used a grant to do this which he will have to pay back if it goes to court so the club are 100% right to play hard ball.

The club have been engaging with GM for 3 years now, thats not a lie! GM thinks its worth more than it is, if that counts as not engaging properly so be it!

and for you to call me a WUM LOLLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 4:11pm

I said the club told GM to f**k off as, he has built the YDC on land he had no permission too, used a grant to do this which he will have to pay back if it goes to court so the club are 100% right to play hard ball.

The club have been engaging with GM for 3 years now, thats not a lie! GM thinks its worth more than it is, if that counts as not engaging properly so be it!

and for you to call me a WUM LOLLOL

You see the problem is those two statements in bold. Have a little lie down and then come back and try and figure out why they might cause confusion to an already confusing story.
Can any Dundalk fan who has a clue comment on how serious a threat this is or is it all hardball playing that will get sorted by the FAI if needed?

-------------

Posted By: RedAlert
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 4:11pm
Dundalk are in a bit of bother alright. Their problem is twofold 1) success = cash and 2) the clock is against them.

Of course the current owner is going to say the club will get a licence. What else can he say?

If Gerry Matthews either owns the lease or has control of the entity that owns the lease then he has a strong hand. Even if the owners of OP, the Casey family I believe, want the new company that run Dundalk to play in OP, there is still the issue of the lease. There is no getting around this, it has to be dealt with.

It was a big step for GM to write to the FAI so he must believe that he has control of the lease. I'm sure he has had he legal boys and girls look at this, as I'm sure the current owners of the club have as well.

Whether he is legally entitled to anything for the YDC is another matter. But if he owns/controls the lease and he is honouring his end of the lease agreement with the owners of OP then he has control of the gates to OP.

And as nobody seems to dispute that GM has the lease, then therein lies Dundalk's problem.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 4:16pm

Just to go back to basics on this. Do I understand all this correctly?

GM paid for the YDC. There was a few clauses about how much he was due to be paid by the clubs owners. off the top of my head I think relegation meant a reduced sum to nothing would have been due.
The club were taken over by new owners in that time. They have told him they wont pay him the money he is owed.
He has threatened to level the YDC if he's not paid. Its difficult to find a Dundalk supporter who actually disagrees that he's due money. The club are flush with 2 years of CL money but refuse to pay their bills.
Am I correct on all that?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 4:47pm
no

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 4:48pm

no
Care to elaborate?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 4:54pm
not really

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 5:00pm

not really
Well thanks for that insight. Outstanding as always.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 5:18pm
ok in a quick summary

Des Casey owns Oriel Park

Gerry Matthews took ownership of the club and the lease in the 2000's

He also bought Hiney Park which is directly behind Oriel Park

He decided to build this youth development center and applied for grants to do so, got about 250k for it

However Gerry was a very bold boy and only built half of it on Hiney Park (which he owned), the other half on Oriel Park which he didn't own and without the owners permission.

There are massive council fees owed for the building.

Gerry's other business's went tits up

In late 2012 he sold the club but retained the lease to the land.

He sold Hiney Park last year to a local school

The council still want their money or say the building must be demolished

Gerry doesnt like this as he's already lost a sh*t load of money and has gotten very little return on his investment.

This is the situation we have had since 2013, except now Gerry knows the club that he sold is now due a lot of euro money so decides to get greedy.

Gerry likes money.

Gerry says if the club give him 100k he will knock HIS building and keep the material and give the lease to the club

or

if the club give him 250K for HIS building they can have his building and the lease and the council debts

Gerry is playing hardball by trying to hold the club to ransom for HIS building and HIS building's debts

The club know if they walk from Oriel Park, then Gerry will be left with HIS building and HIS building's debts which is useless to Gerry, he will also be left with the lease which his useless to him also as Oriel Park can only be used for football and nothing else.

gerry building is.built on land that is not his and can't even sell it

is that better?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 5:33pm
Much, thanks for the effort in explaining.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 5:38pm
Cheers shoco

-------------

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 5:47pm
RTID making a big tit of himself again here, it's never ending LOLLOL

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 5:47pm

So worst case is a Coventry situation where he refuses to let you play there for a while, you take it on the road for a year or two and it all gets sorted.

I must admit, that would make me smile.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 6:06pm
http://www.dundalkfc.com/statement-2/

-------------

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 6:20pm
So have the club been paying this fella rent ?

-------------
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 6:46pm
Yeh every year as agreed when they took over.

Yet again papers writing bullsh*t.

The Home of Football is Oriel

Here we go 3 in a row

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 7:27pm

is that better?

Seeing as this was your original response......

not really

.......... Of course that was better.

Did he not put in about a million euro of his own money into Dundalk?
Surely Casey knew the facility was being built on his land? How does someone build a complex on your land without your knowledge.   

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 7:56pm
That's the obvious question. I recall the shed was closed for a while.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 8:04pm
The whole thing is very, very weird.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 8:16pm
Surely if this fella ends up with oriel all he has to do is buy out the restriction - build himself a load of flats ...or bail hostels

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Surely if this fella ends up with oriel all he has to do is buy out the restriction - build himself a load of flats ...or bail hostels

Theres some legality (I'm not up with the laws on this) that state Oriel Park can't be used for anything only football for the next 90 years

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 8:46pm
Zoning gets changed all the time

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 9:13pm

is that better?

Seeing as this was your original response......

not really

.......... Of course that was better.

Did he not put in about a million euro of his own money into Dundalk?
Surely Casey knew the facility was being built on his land? How does someone build a complex on your land without your knowledge.   

So what if he put a million into the club? He sold it and left the club in debt

If you sell something, do you come back a few years later and look for more money because the person who bought of you have more money now?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 9:20pm

Nope, he owns the lease to the land, the club own the facilities on the land, Des Casey owns the land

The terms of the lease specifically state that oriel park is for football and there can't be third party ownership meaning he can't sell the lease to anyone other than the club

To change the lease it would need to be agreed by the Casey family, and that is not going to happen

Basically if the club walk out he is left with a council bill he can't afford, or demolish the building and loose everything he put into it

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 9:29pm

So have the club been paying this fella rent ?

No, the club pay des Casey as per condition of the lease, 212 euro per week for 100 years

-------------

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 9:31pm
Looks like the club has the stronger hand but what a f**ked up situation

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 9:36pm

Nope, he owns the lease to the land, the club own the facilities on the land, Des Casey owns the land

The terms of the lease specifically state that oriel park is for football and there can't be third party ownership meaning he can't sell the lease to anyone other than the club

To change the lease it would need to be agreed by the Casey family, and that is not going to happen

Basically if the club walk out he is left with a council bill he can't afford, or demolish the building and loose everything he put into it

Gotcha, but in other circumstances the holder of the restriction could release it in return for payment. Looks like club hold the aces but this lad could make life difficult and club might be Better in long run to just pay the man €50k and be rid

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 9:41pm
Not is des Casey can have him evicted from the lease, which according to the club statement is what he's trying to do

-------------

Posted By: savo01
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 11:07am
When Dundalk were in the mire in 2006 a lot of local "soccer" men were approached to invest and ran a mile. GM had no interest in football but stepped in and as stated put in around €1m of his own money and often signing cheques on the spot like €30,000 for the women's team European trip to Croatia for a UEFA game for example. GM would have walked away for nothing had they been relegated in 2012 but they were not and what he is asking for is not unfair or unreasonable. This money is not for him but for his creditors and there should be a proper compromise made. Club will not meet with the man and that is wrong. While there were debts in 2012 the club was in a much better state overall than 2006. A real shame it had come to this because GM deserves to be lauded not vilified.

-------------
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 11:13am
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

When Dundalk were in the mire in 2006 a lot of local "soccer" men were approached to invest and ran a mile. GM had no interest in football but stepped in and as stated put in around €1m of his own money and often signing cheques on the spot like €30,000 for the women's team European trip to Croatia for a UEFA game for example. GM would have walked away for nothing had they been relegated in 2012 but they were not and what he is asking for is not unfair or unreasonable. This money is not for him but for his creditors and there should be a proper compromise made. Club will not meet with the man and that is wrong. While there were debts in 2012 the club was in a much better state overall than 2006. A real shame it had come to this because GM deserves to be lauded not vilified.

he sold the club and it's debts, so how is looking for more money now not unfair or unreasonable? Why should the club be forced to pay for HIS building? the massive debts owed for it are HIS not the clubs!

he knew rightly what he was at when he built it on land that was not his, so f**k him

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 1:28pm
Surely if he built on land he didn't own he wouldn't have planning permission and the council would pull it down

Sounding a bit far fetched tbh - truth is probably somewhere in the middle

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 2:41pm

Surely if he built on land he didn't own he wouldn't have planning permission and the council would pull it down

Sounding a bit far fetched tbh - truth is probably somewhere in the middle

Exactly.
Who'd be a LOI owner!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 4:35pm
Club awarded it's license today, a nothing story to begin with

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 4:39pm
Good stuff! Will this fella be back in the news again in 12 months time? Or will this be the end of it?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net