You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotland vs Poland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 9:17am
A draw in the S-P match leaves S on 12pts and P on 18pts. The Poles will know a home draw against us will guarantee them second while it guarantees us a play-off. With this scenario I don't see us losing in Poland. Should this be the case we have 3 outcomes - win in Warsaw and finish 2nd, draw its a p/o, defeat its elimination.

A win for Poland in Glasgow and group is sorted before final game unless we win our 2 remaining games - unlikely but if it happened we'd finish second to Germany. 

A win for Scotland in Glasgow and a win for us in Warsaw would see us finish 2nd irrespective of the result of our game against Germany and the Poles would end up 4th.

So, all to play for - the slight advantage we have over Scotland is that as it stands we are no longer relying on other results to help us, up to ourselves now.

All considered I'm hoping for a draw in Glasgow between S and P and take our chances in Poland. Ideally a draw in the home game against Germany gives us a free shot in Poland with the safety net of the playoff to fall into.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

A draw in the S-P match leaves S on 12pts and P on 18pts. The Poles will know a home draw against us will guarantee them second while it guarantees us a play-off. With this scenario I don't see us losing in Poland. Should this be the case we have 3 outcomes - win in Warsaw and finish 2nd, draw its a p/o, defeat its elimination.

The Russian roulette nature of this appeals to the sicker side of me! Would make for one very tense and interesting night in Warsaw...

Realistically though would probably be happier with a Poland win and the guarantee of a play-off.
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 9:33am

A win for Poland in Glasgow and group is sorted before final game unless we win our 2 remaining games - unlikely but if it happened we'd finish second to Germany. 

A win for Scotland in Glasgow and a win for us in Warsaw would see us finish 2nd irrespective of the result of our game against Germany and the Poles would end up 4th.

So, all to play for - the slight advantage we have over Scotland is that as it stands we are no longer relying on other results to help us, up to ourselves now.

All considered I'm hoping for a draw in Glasgow between S and P and take our chances in Poland. Ideally a draw in the home game against Germany gives us a free shot in Poland with the safety net of the playoff to fall into.

That's it!! Positive thinking. It is probably unlikely that we will get 2nd but who cares. Believe anyway ClapClapClap
Bales of hay View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bales of hay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 10:41am
I hope its the win we qualify, draw playoffs, lose we are out scenario going to warsaw, who wants a dead rubber over there?
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 10:44am
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

f**k it id take a play off- hoping for a Poland in. There is no doubt we would all like to qualify automatically but with where we lay a month ago in the table till now id take our chance in a play off.

Who realistically wouldn't take a play off????

I think it's fairly obviously we would all settle for 3rd place at this stage.

You speak for everyone do you? Was only putting my opinion out there that i would take a play off now, poland beating scotland and us losing to germany. I would take that- it means the poland games a dead rubber but id take it.

No I don't but its pretty obvious everyone would take third place if it was handed to us.

Given our situation before Scotland lost to Georgia, then yes 3rd place at the moment looks like an undeserved miracle. And yes you are more than likely correct that 3rd is the very very best we can hope for. But do we have to be so real all the time?? Can we not just dream? I personally am hopeful of getting second place in the group. it would require Scotland beating Poland and us drawing with Germany and also beating Poland. Yes it is unlikely, but isn't that what support is?? Believing anyway?? Given we have been singing a song for 25 years containing the line "And we really shake them up, when we win the world cup"...should we stop singing that because realistically it is never going to happen?

We can certainly dream my friend, football is football after all and anything is possible. I really hope we can beat germany and poland, I really hope we can get to france automatically, of course I do. But the pragmatist in me says I would take the play off right now and be very happy.  It looked a lost cause before scotland vs georgia or at least it looked extremely difficult. The question of the thread was what result do people want in the scotland vs poland game- i said a poland win because i want to go into the last game with no chance of elimination even if that means losing to germany and poland winning. Im just a pragmatist i suppose rather than a dreamer. Live to fight another day.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 12:21pm

f**k it id take a play off- hoping for a Poland in. There is no doubt we would all like to qualify automatically but with where we lay a month ago in the table till now id take our chance in a play off.

You speak for everyone do you? Was only putting my opinion out there that i would take a play off now, poland beating scotland and us losing to germany. I would take that- it means the poland games a dead rubber but id take it.

No I don't but its pretty obvious everyone would take third place if it was handed to us.

Given our situation before Scotland lost to Georgia, then yes 3rd place at the moment looks like an undeserved miracle. And yes you are more than likely correct that 3rd is the very very best we can hope for. But do we have to be so real all the time?? Can we not just dream? I personally am hopeful of getting second place in the group. it would require Scotland beating Poland and us drawing with Germany and also beating Poland. Yes it is unlikely, but isn't that what support is?? Believing anyway?? Given we have been singing a song for 25 years containing the line "And we really shake them up, when we win the world cup"...should we stop singing that because realistically it is never going to happen?

We can certainly dream my friend, football is football after all and anything is possible. I really hope we can beat germany and poland, I really hope we can get to france automatically, of course I do. But the pragmatist in me says I would take the play off right now and be very happy.  It looked a lost cause before scotland vs georgia or at least it looked extremely difficult. The question of the thread was what result do people want in the scotland vs poland game- i said a poland win because i want to go into the last game with no chance of elimination even if that means losing to germany and poland winning. Im just a pragmatist i suppose rather than a dreamer. Live to fight another day.

there are just so many people on here full of fkn doom and gloom that it really takes the excitement away from it. Some people are more worried about being correct in their predictions than actually supporting...just so they can jump on the "told ya so" wagon. Especially the few people I have come across predicting we finish 4th. Sure it is possible, but fk that! Realistically I think the most likely results are draws all round which would still get us 3rd but to hell with it. As soon as we started playing against Germany we were on top. this is our best chance to beat Germany so why not? We played Poland off the park for long spells in Lansdowne so why not?
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:00pm

there are just so many people on here full of fkn doom and gloom that it really takes the excitement away from it. Some people are more worried about being correct in their predictions than actually supporting...just so they can jump on the "told ya so" wagon. Especially the few people I have come across predicting we finish 4th. Sure it is possible, but fk that! Realistically I think the most likely results are draws all round which would still get us 3rd but to hell with it. As soon as we started playing against Germany we were on top. this is our best chance to beat Germany so why not? We played Poland off the park for long spells in Lansdowne so why not?

4th is unacceptable to me, in that scenario i would be very disapointed. I love ur optimism and have agreed anything is possible in football so you have to believe we can do it. However i will say it again i would take a poland win over scotland as it means we cant finish 4th going into the last game. I will leave the germany game in the lap of the gods but under a poland win scenario i dont mind losing to germany. There is no shame in that though obviously im praying we win.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:03pm

If I was the Irish manager or one of the players, I would be going into the last two games with the aim of automatically qualifying for France, not settling for a play off spot. There is way too much pessimism and negativity surrounding the team. We'll never achieve anything unless we play with verve and ambition.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:04pm
Absolutely no shame in it. I would fancy against most of the other 3rd places in a playoff so if that is the outcome then bring it on. We seemed dead and buried after the draw with Scotland so it is great to be even in the conversation with 2 games to go so in that scenario then yeah 3rd is great. Only Ireland could be 4 points ahead of Scotland with 2 games to go and not be a dead cert for 3rd Smile
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

If I was the Irish manager or one of the players, I would be going into the last two games with the aim of automatically qualifying for France, not settling for a play off spot. There is way too much pessimism and negativity surrounding the team. We'll never achieve anything unless we play with verve and ambition.

Totally Agree. As soon as we started playing against germany it took us 20 minutes to score. Same in the 6-1 defeat...the first time our keeper didn't kick the ball long and instead rolled it out to a defender to start an attack, we got a corner and scored from it. I see very little in this German team to strike fear. they have some very decent players but we possibly should have beaten them, Scotland gave them a good game twice, Poland DID beat them, so feck it. go at them from the start, pressure them high up the pitch, don't back off them and give it everything.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:10pm

Totally Agree. As soon as we started playing against germany it took us 20 minutes to score. Same in the 6-1 defeat...the first time our keeper didn't kick the ball long and instead rolled it out to a defender to start an attack, we got a corner and scored from it. I see very little in this German team to strike fear. they have some very decent players but we possibly should have beaten them, Scotland gave them a good game twice, Poland DID beat them, so feck it. go at them from the start, pressure them high up the pitch, don't back off them and give it everything.

Are you having a laugh? Confused
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:18pm
I'm not saying they aren't good, but why should we accept defeat before the game starts?? Poland and Scotland had good goes at them, we had a good go at them once we started trying so why not go again?

Edited by DangerHere - 02 Oct 2015 at 1:19pm
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:32pm

I'm not saying they aren't good, but why should we accept defeat before the game starts?? Poland and Scotland had good goes at them, we had a good go at them once we started trying so why not go again?

Particularly that last match in Warsaw. I've seen plenty of people say here 'I can't see us get anything over there'. That's a really defeatist attitude, we should go there hoping and aiming to win the game.
Jbyrne View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbyrne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:38pm

Only Ireland could be 4 points ahead of Scotland with 2 games to go and not be a dead cert for 3rd Smile

completely ignores the fixtures that remain.

Scotland have a definite 3 pts against Gibraltar and we have the world champions to play. it will come down to how we both do against a good polish side with possibly the worlds most in-form striker in their team. Scotland have the advantage then as they have the poles at home
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Jbyrne Jbyrne wrote:

Only Ireland could be 4 points ahead of Scotland with 2 games to go and not be a dead cert for 3rd Smile

completely ignores the fixtures that remain.

Scotland have a definite 3 pts against Gibraltar and we have the world champions to play. it will come down to how we both do against a good polish side with possibly the worlds most in-form striker in their team. Scotland have the advantage then as they have the poles at home

I didn't ignore anything. I know what fixtures are left. it was a comment made with tongue firmly in cheek. I was merely pointing out how usually when a team is 4 points ahead with 2 games to go they are clear favourites to remain ahead. Mustn't take everything so seriously Byrnesy! Embarrassed
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:55pm

Particularly that last match in Warsaw. I've seen plenty of people say here 'I can't see us get anything over there'. That's a really defeatist attitude, we should go there hoping and aiming to win the game.

Deffo!! maybe Trap has beaten the belief out of a lot of the supporters too
Long Shot View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 5:57pm
I'd say it'll be a draw between the Scots and poles . Maybe a Polish win. Scots won't get a result. I think we have the ability to get a result agsinst the Germans a draw at the least. I also believe that we can at the very least get a draw in Warsaw but I praying for the win
Poland are in a similar vein to us.

To all those who cimplain about us not beating anyone ranked ahead of us anything can happen in 90 mins.

There is a good chance that the Warsaw game will be like a cup final. The stuff dreams are made of

Cmon Ireland
SimonCox View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonCox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Hoping for a draw in this game and a chance for second place with a win in Warsaw.

Mental...and I'm doing the euro lotto and a chance to win gazilions......and why not hope for a Scots win in your scenario

Think about it.

If we draw with Germany and Scotland win, we need a win in Poland or else we're completely out.

If we draw with Germany and Poland win, we are in third place and there's nothing we can do about it.

It we draw with Germany and Scotland draw with Poland, we are guaranteed third and a win in Poland gets us second. It's so much better than either of the alternatives.

Obviously if we lose to Germany, there is little enough difference between a Scottish win and draw, but you have to consider the fact there is a benefit to the draw if we also draw.

If we lose to germany there is a big difference between a Scottish win and a draw. A draw means we only need a draw in Poland. A Scotland win means we have to beat Poland or we're out.

Edited by SimonCox - 02 Oct 2015 at 7:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
  Share Topic