Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=52529
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 12:45am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Scotland vs Poland
Posted By: ABFC
Subject: Scotland vs Poland
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 2:24pm
Absolutely huge game. How do people see this going? I can see a score draw but will be hoping for a Poland win so we can relax and look forward to a play off and give it a go from there.

Replies:
Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 2:28pm
All I know is it's great to see Lewandowski in such fine fettle. 8 goals in 2 games? Big smile

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

All I know is it's great to see Lewandowski in such fine fettle. 8 goals in 2 games? Big smile

10 in 3 actually

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: greenlad
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 3:08pm
Hope Poland give them a hiding.

Posted By: DangerHere
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 3:28pm
Caught in 2 minds. The forever optimist in me that, however stupidly, still thinks we can beat Germany wants Scotland to win and then we can have a go at 2nd place!!
However the emotionally battered Irish supporter in me who thinks the optimistic me is an idiot wants a Poland win to guarantee 3rd for us

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 3:43pm
I can't see Poland losing this even though Scotland are the type of team who can pull out a huge one off result completely at random.

One thing that may be a factor is that Poland will have massive travelling support. They could easily have 20,000 fans in the stadium (loads of Poles living in Scotland and free to buy tickets).

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I can't see Poland losing this even though Scotland are the type of team who can pull out a huge one off result completely at random.

One thing that may be a factor is that Poland will have massive travelling support. They could easily have 20,000 fans in the stadium (loads of Poles living in Scotland and free to buy tickets).

yeah that's a good point. Loads of Irish there too though which didn't help us much over there. Maybe Lewandowski's bangin form could turn out to be a blessing

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 4:59pm
They have to get the ball to him first. For every Lewandowski or Krychowiak in that team there's a Rybus or Wawrzyniak. And Krychowiak was sh*te against us

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Deco
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

However the emotionally battered Irish supporter in me who thinks the optimistic me is an idiot wants a Poland win to guarantee 3rd for us

This, I'd take my chances in a play off.

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 5:10pm

I would bite your hand off for a playoff now however maybe we will shock a few people in the next week and a half.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 5:16pm
I reckon a playoff is our lot. Don't think Scotland will overhaul us now (i certainly f**kin hope not) and dont think we'll do enough to overtake the Poles. I'd probably have taken it if you'd offered it to me at the start of the campaign. Especially if somehow we are seeded. We might surprise everyone and come second or completely f**k it up and come 4th but i think we'll remain where we are now

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 5:18pm
It's the group deciding game

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 5:24pm
Im hoping for a draw.

I think playing Poland in a must win game would be better than a 2 leg playoff against the likes of Turkey/Holland, Russia/Sweden, Croatia etc..

Get a point Vs Germany and we'll have nothing to worry about either way.

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 5:26pm
Is this on same time as our game?

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 5:26pm
No way would I fancy us to get anything in Warsaw if they're having to get something as well.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 5:27pm

yeah that's a good point. Loads of Irish there too though which didn't help us much over there. Maybe Lewandowski's bangin form could turn out to be a blessing

I think there will be far more Poles than there were Irish in November. There are tens of thousands of them living in Glasgow and Edinburgh and they can all legally buy tickets for the game (and that's on top of their official allocation).

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Yes, both 7.45pm kick offs.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 5:36pm

Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Yes, both 7.45pm kick offs.

Cheers.

-------------

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 5:47pm
f**k it id take a play off- hoping for a Poland in. There is no doubt we would all like to qualify automatically but with where we lay a month ago in the table till now id take our chance in a play off.

Posted By: ripbomb
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 6:17pm
If Scotland win were out. We won't get  anything more than a draw from our two games.

Posted By: Ballycastle
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 10:04pm
I really think Scotland will get the win against Poland they will have the crowd rocking in Glasgow one set piece will be enough for Scotland in a really scrapie game so we will need to get the win in Warsaw

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Ballycastle Ballycastle wrote:

I really think Scotland will get the win against Poland they will have the crowd rocking in Glasgow one set piece will be enough for Scotland in a really scrapie game so we will need to get the win in Warsaw

Agree with this sentiment unfortunately.

I'd be delighted with a draw and even more with a Polish win though I fancy Scotland to beat them

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 10:26pm
With the form lewandanski is in you'd think Poland will score once. Can't see Scotland scoring more than one.

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 10:32pm
Yep Lewandowski is on fire...I think/hope they'll dismantle the Scots with quick break aways .....the Scots are all huff and puff with little or no quality, to have a play off spot wrapped up by Thurs night would be the dream, to finish outside that top 3 might aswell be finishing bottom

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

With the form lewandanski is in you'd think Poland will score once. Can't see Scotland scoring more than one.

As has been stated before Leva doesnt play as a 9 for the Polskis which is why his goal ratio is not as impressive.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 10:33pm

I wouldn't rule that out but the Scots are under ferocious pressure to get the win. It remains to be seen if they can handle that pressure.

Posted By: ObserwatorPZPN
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 11:02pm
We scored in every qualifier so far. Can`t see why we won`t do it in Glasgow as well. Scotland will have to play open game, at least for some parts of the game and this is an additional chance to get some goals on the counter.
But...if I was Nawałka I would go on Scots from the beginning, let`s say first 10-15 minutes pressure and attacking football because that will be the phase of the game when they will try to settle nerves and deal with pressure and of course not to concede. Goal at this stage and we have this game in the bag, if not move the game to the middle of the park and counter when ready.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 11:07pm
Hoping for a draw in this game and a chance for second place with a win in Warsaw.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by ObserwatorPZPN ObserwatorPZPN wrote:

We scored in every qualifier so far. Can`t see why we won`t do it in Glasgow as well. Scotland will have to play open game, at least for some parts of the game and this is an additional chance to get some goals on the counter.
But...if I was Nawałka I would go on Scots from the beginning, let`s say first 10-15 minutes pressure and attacking football because that will be the phase of the game when they will try to settle nerves and deal with pressure and of course not to concede. Goal at this stage and we have this game in the bag, if not move the game to the middle of the park and counter when ready.

Yup that's what I'd do too.

The risk I guess is conceding early to Scotland and that could get the Scots going.

I would also do the exact same when Poland play us in Warsaw.

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Hoping for a draw in this game and a chance for second place with a win in Warsaw.

Mental...and I'm doing the euro lotto and a chance to win gazilions......and why not hope for a Scots win in your scenario

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by ObserwatorPZPN ObserwatorPZPN wrote:

Yes, the fact that Scotland need to win means they cannot play defensively. They will have to have a go at Poland but this means the Poles can counter attack at will. It should be an open game with a lot of chances.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Mental...and I'm doing the euro lotto and a chance to win gazilions......and why not hope for a Scots win in your scenario

Think about it.

If we draw with Germany and Scotland win, we need a win in Poland or else we're completely out.

If we draw with Germany and Poland win, we are in third place and there's nothing we can do about it.

It we draw with Germany and Scotland draw with Poland, we are guaranteed third and a win in Poland gets us second. It's so much better than either of the alternatives.

Obviously if we lose to Germany, there is little enough difference between a Scottish win and draw, but you have to consider the fact there is a benefit to the draw if we also draw.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Think about it.

If we draw with Germany and Scotland win, we need a win in Poland or else we're completely out.

If we draw with Germany and Poland win, we are in third place and there's nothing we can do about it.

It we draw with Germany and Scotland draw with Poland, we are guaranteed third and a win in Poland gets us second. It's so much better than either of the alternatives.

Obviously if we lose to Germany, there is little enough difference between a Scottish win and draw, but you have to consider the fact there is a benefit to the draw if we also draw.

I'm being a realist...hand on heart I see nothing for Ireland from these 2 games ......so I'll take 3rd place now and live to fight another day

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 12:07am

Think about it.

I'm being a realist...hand on heart I see nothing for Ireland from these 2 games ......so I'll take 3rd place now and live to fight another day

That would be a serious drop off in form for us though. One defeat in eight and we've conceded only five goals. I would be extremely disappointed if we lost the two October games.

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 12:09am

I wouldn't rule that out but the Scots are under ferocious pressure to get the win. It remains to be seen if they can handle that pressure.

Any Scots I've talked to are convinced they'll fold under the pressure. It'll be a nervy crowd with an expectancy of failure, as far as I can see.

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 12:24am
1-0 Scotland

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

f**k it id take a play off- hoping for a Poland in. There is no doubt we would all like to qualify automatically but with where we lay a month ago in the table till now id take our chance in a play off.

Who realistically wouldn't take a play off????

I think it's fairly obviously we would all settle for 3rd place at this stage.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 12:34am
Scotland 2-1

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 1:31am
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Any Scots I've talked to are convinced they'll fold under the pressure. It'll be a nervy crowd with an expectancy of failure, as far as I can see.

To be honest, I'm not sure we'd cope that well with the pressure either ie. having to beat Poland and them coming here knowing a win would send them straight through to the finals. I do think Scotland are up against it here. If the Poles score first, it's surely game over.

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 2:09am
I wouldn't be surprised to see Scotland win. We will find it tough in the last two games but I wouldn't rule out drawing both.

Lewandowski is on super form at the moment so a few goals against Scotland might get the Poland win and guarantee us at least a playoff spot. 

If we beat both Germany and Poland we finish 2nd, even if Poland beat Scotland. Unlikely but possible.

Hopefully at the very least when the final whistle goes in Warsaw we have secured a playoff spot. 

Posted By: liam_in_germany
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 2:34am
Lewondowski is untouchable at the moment. But wont have the same service he gets with FCB. But it will give the players around him a hugh confidence boost.

From the scots side I doubt they have any interest in a draw. They'll go all out for a win but will end up losing. The poles will set them selves up to hit them on the break knowing they're all but qualified and the scots will be desperate

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 6:56am
3-1 to Poles , Lewandowski hat trick before he get plowed out of it by Scott Brown mission Ireland game through injury

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 8:11am

They're probably right - this is a team who have lost two on the bounce. Morale in the camp can't be that high

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 8:32am
Its a real tough one for the scots this one- say its 1-1 with 5 mins d go and we are 2-0 down to germany. What do they do? A draw isnt really enough but gives them a chance going into the last game, a defeat and their gone so its a real tough one.

Posted By: dotts101
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 10:08am
I think the svots will win.

But i don't get this optimism of us getting 2nd place. Correct me if I'm wrong but the last team we beat competitively ranked above us was 14years ago against the dutch so what makes people think we will do it now away from home when we couldn't do it against the scots at home who were terroble imo.

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 10:30am
The fact the jocks have to win is going to upset them . It will open them up and play into the hands of the poles . Scotland are like us in that they struggle when they have to win .

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 10:33am
Reckon this is our best chance of getting 3rd place, Poles beating Scotland here
Can't see us getting anything in our remaining 2 games sadly

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Reckon this is our best chance of getting 3rd place, Poles beating Scotland here
Germans only need a point.

Agreed that we need Poland to do us a favour because if they lose in Glasgow then we havent a hope in hell's chance in Warsaw.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

You speak for everyone do you? Was only putting my opinion out there that i would take a play off now, poland beating scotland and us losing to germany. I would take that- it means the poland games a dead rubber but id take it.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I'm surprised at all the pessimism surrounding our last two games. We haven't been winning big matches but we certainly have been losing them either and we concede very few goals. Why would we lose two games in a row when we have been very solid and consistent throughout the qualifiers?

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 4:18pm
Lewandowski will blow the jocks away.

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 4:21pm

You speak for everyone do you? Was only putting my opinion out there that i would take a play off now, poland beating scotland and us losing to germany. I would take that- it means the poland games a dead rubber but id take it.

No I don't but its pretty obvious everyone would take third place if it was handed to us.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 4:53pm

No I don't but its pretty obvious everyone would take third place if it was handed to us.

There are some on this thread looking for 2 wins to go to france automatically. They might disagree with you there and just take a chance. Me i would accept the play off now as ive already said.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 8:43am

Given our situation before Scotland lost to Georgia, then yes 3rd place at the moment looks like an undeserved miracle. And yes you are more than likely correct that 3rd is the very very best we can hope for. But do we have to be so real all the time?? Can we not just dream? I personally am hopeful of getting second place in the group. it would require Scotland beating Poland and us drawing with Germany and also beating Poland. Yes it is unlikely, but isn't that what support is?? Believing anyway?? Given we have been singing a song for 25 years containing the line "And we really shake them up, when we win the world cup"...should we stop singing that because realistically it is never going to happen?

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 9:17am
A draw in the S-P match leaves S on 12pts and P on 18pts. The Poles will know a home draw against us will guarantee them second while it guarantees us a play-off. With this scenario I don't see us losing in Poland. Should this be the case we have 3 outcomes - win in Warsaw and finish 2nd, draw its a p/o, defeat its elimination.

A win for Poland in Glasgow and group is sorted before final game unless we win our 2 remaining games - unlikely but if it happened we'd finish second to Germany. 

A win for Scotland in Glasgow and a win for us in Warsaw would see us finish 2nd irrespective of the result of our game against Germany and the Poles would end up 4th.

So, all to play for - the slight advantage we have over Scotland is that as it stands we are no longer relying on other results to help us, up to ourselves now.

All considered I'm hoping for a draw in Glasgow between S and P and take our chances in Poland. Ideally a draw in the home game against Germany gives us a free shot in Poland with the safety net of the playoff to fall into.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 9:32am

A draw in the S-P match leaves S on 12pts and P on 18pts. The Poles will know a home draw against us will guarantee them second while it guarantees us a play-off. With this scenario I don't see us losing in Poland. Should this be the case we have 3 outcomes - win in Warsaw and finish 2nd, draw its a p/o, defeat its elimination.

The Russian roulette nature of this appeals to the sicker side of me! Would make for one very tense and interesting night in Warsaw...

Realistically though would probably be happier with a Poland win and the guarantee of a play-off.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 9:33am

A win for Poland in Glasgow and group is sorted before final game unless we win our 2 remaining games - unlikely but if it happened we'd finish second to Germany. 

A win for Scotland in Glasgow and a win for us in Warsaw would see us finish 2nd irrespective of the result of our game against Germany and the Poles would end up 4th.

So, all to play for - the slight advantage we have over Scotland is that as it stands we are no longer relying on other results to help us, up to ourselves now.

All considered I'm hoping for a draw in Glasgow between S and P and take our chances in Poland. Ideally a draw in the home game against Germany gives us a free shot in Poland with the safety net of the playoff to fall into.

That's it!! Positive thinking. It is probably unlikely that we will get 2nd but who cares. Believe anyway ClapClapClap

Posted By: Bales of hay
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 10:41am
I hope its the win we qualify, draw playoffs, lose we are out scenario going to warsaw, who wants a dead rubber over there?

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 10:44am

Given our situation before Scotland lost to Georgia, then yes 3rd place at the moment looks like an undeserved miracle. And yes you are more than likely correct that 3rd is the very very best we can hope for. But do we have to be so real all the time?? Can we not just dream? I personally am hopeful of getting second place in the group. it would require Scotland beating Poland and us drawing with Germany and also beating Poland. Yes it is unlikely, but isn't that what support is?? Believing anyway?? Given we have been singing a song for 25 years containing the line "And we really shake them up, when we win the world cup"...should we stop singing that because realistically it is never going to happen?

We can certainly dream my friend, football is football after all and anything is possible. I really hope we can beat germany and poland, I really hope we can get to france automatically, of course I do. But the pragmatist in me says I would take the play off right now and be very happy.  It looked a lost cause before scotland vs georgia or at least it looked extremely difficult. The question of the thread was what result do people want in the scotland vs poland game- i said a poland win because i want to go into the last game with no chance of elimination even if that means losing to germany and poland winning. Im just a pragmatist i suppose rather than a dreamer. Live to fight another day.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 12:21pm

We can certainly dream my friend, football is football after all and anything is possible. I really hope we can beat germany and poland, I really hope we can get to france automatically, of course I do. But the pragmatist in me says I would take the play off right now and be very happy.  It looked a lost cause before scotland vs georgia or at least it looked extremely difficult. The question of the thread was what result do people want in the scotland vs poland game- i said a poland win because i want to go into the last game with no chance of elimination even if that means losing to germany and poland winning. Im just a pragmatist i suppose rather than a dreamer. Live to fight another day.

there are just so many people on here full of fkn doom and gloom that it really takes the excitement away from it. Some people are more worried about being correct in their predictions than actually supporting...just so they can jump on the "told ya so" wagon. Especially the few people I have come across predicting we finish 4th. Sure it is possible, but fk that! Realistically I think the most likely results are draws all round which would still get us 3rd but to hell with it. As soon as we started playing against Germany we were on top. this is our best chance to beat Germany so why not? We played Poland off the park for long spells in Lansdowne so why not?

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:00pm

there are just so many people on here full of fkn doom and gloom that it really takes the excitement away from it. Some people are more worried about being correct in their predictions than actually supporting...just so they can jump on the "told ya so" wagon. Especially the few people I have come across predicting we finish 4th. Sure it is possible, but fk that! Realistically I think the most likely results are draws all round which would still get us 3rd but to hell with it. As soon as we started playing against Germany we were on top. this is our best chance to beat Germany so why not? We played Poland off the park for long spells in Lansdowne so why not?

4th is unacceptable to me, in that scenario i would be very disapointed. I love ur optimism and have agreed anything is possible in football so you have to believe we can do it. However i will say it again i would take a poland win over scotland as it means we cant finish 4th going into the last game. I will leave the germany game in the lap of the gods but under a poland win scenario i dont mind losing to germany. There is no shame in that though obviously im praying we win.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:03pm

If I was the Irish manager or one of the players, I would be going into the last two games with the aim of automatically qualifying for France, not settling for a play off spot. There is way too much pessimism and negativity surrounding the team. We'll never achieve anything unless we play with verve and ambition.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:04pm
Absolutely no shame in it. I would fancy against most of the other 3rd places in a playoff so if that is the outcome then bring it on. We seemed dead and buried after the draw with Scotland so it is great to be even in the conversation with 2 games to go so in that scenario then yeah 3rd is great. Only Ireland could be 4 points ahead of Scotland with 2 games to go and not be a dead cert for 3rd Smile

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:07pm

If I was the Irish manager or one of the players, I would be going into the last two games with the aim of automatically qualifying for France, not settling for a play off spot. There is way too much pessimism and negativity surrounding the team. We'll never achieve anything unless we play with verve and ambition.

Totally Agree. As soon as we started playing against germany it took us 20 minutes to score. Same in the 6-1 defeat...the first time our keeper didn't kick the ball long and instead rolled it out to a defender to start an attack, we got a corner and scored from it. I see very little in this German team to strike fear. they have some very decent players but we possibly should have beaten them, Scotland gave them a good game twice, Poland DID beat them, so feck it. go at them from the start, pressure them high up the pitch, don't back off them and give it everything.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:10pm

Totally Agree. As soon as we started playing against germany it took us 20 minutes to score. Same in the 6-1 defeat...the first time our keeper didn't kick the ball long and instead rolled it out to a defender to start an attack, we got a corner and scored from it. I see very little in this German team to strike fear. they have some very decent players but we possibly should have beaten them, Scotland gave them a good game twice, Poland DID beat them, so feck it. go at them from the start, pressure them high up the pitch, don't back off them and give it everything.

Are you having a laugh? Confused

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:18pm
I'm not saying they aren't good, but why should we accept defeat before the game starts?? Poland and Scotland had good goes at them, we had a good go at them once we started trying so why not go again?

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:32pm

I'm not saying they aren't good, but why should we accept defeat before the game starts?? Poland and Scotland had good goes at them, we had a good go at them once we started trying so why not go again?

Particularly that last match in Warsaw. I've seen plenty of people say here 'I can't see us get anything over there'. That's a really defeatist attitude, we should go there hoping and aiming to win the game.

Posted By: Jbyrne
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:38pm

Only Ireland could be 4 points ahead of Scotland with 2 games to go and not be a dead cert for 3rd Smile

completely ignores the fixtures that remain.

Scotland have a definite 3 pts against Gibraltar and we have the world champions to play. it will come down to how we both do against a good polish side with possibly the worlds most in-form striker in their team. Scotland have the advantage then as they have the poles at home

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Jbyrne Jbyrne wrote:

Only Ireland could be 4 points ahead of Scotland with 2 games to go and not be a dead cert for 3rd Smile

completely ignores the fixtures that remain.

Scotland have a definite 3 pts against Gibraltar and we have the world champions to play. it will come down to how we both do against a good polish side with possibly the worlds most in-form striker in their team. Scotland have the advantage then as they have the poles at home

I didn't ignore anything. I know what fixtures are left. it was a comment made with tongue firmly in cheek. I was merely pointing out how usually when a team is 4 points ahead with 2 games to go they are clear favourites to remain ahead. Mustn't take everything so seriously Byrnesy! Embarrassed

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:55pm

Particularly that last match in Warsaw. I've seen plenty of people say here 'I can't see us get anything over there'. That's a really defeatist attitude, we should go there hoping and aiming to win the game.

Deffo!! maybe Trap has beaten the belief out of a lot of the supporters too

Posted By: Long Shot
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 5:57pm
I'd say it'll be a draw between the Scots and poles . Maybe a Polish win. Scots won't get a result. I think we have the ability to get a result agsinst the Germans a draw at the least. I also believe that we can at the very least get a draw in Warsaw but I praying for the win
Poland are in a similar vein to us.

To all those who cimplain about us not beating anyone ranked ahead of us anything can happen in 90 mins.

There is a good chance that the Warsaw game will be like a cup final. The stuff dreams are made of

Cmon Ireland

Posted By: SimonCox
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 7:46pm

Think about it.

If we lose to germany there is a big difference between a Scottish win and a draw. A draw means we only need a draw in Poland. A Scotland win means we have to beat Poland or we're out.

Posted By: greenlad
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 8:36pm
Amazingly there is still tickets available for this.
Scotland's chance to stay in contention and it's not sold out yet.
C'mon Poland....

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 9:21pm

Given our situation before Scotland lost to Georgia, then yes 3rd place at the moment looks like an undeserved miracle. And yes you are more than likely correct that 3rd is the very very best we can hope for. But do we have to be so real all the time?? Can we not just dream? I personally am hopeful of getting second place in the group. it would require Scotland beating Poland and us drawing with Germany and also beating Poland. Yes it is unlikely, but isn't that what support is?? Believing anyway??
Given we have been singing a song for 25 years containing the line "And we really shake them up, when we win the world cup"...should we stop singing that because realistically it is never going to happen?

Absolutely, and stick a pin in your inflatable banana while you're at it ....you dream on and let the realists be real

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

Amazingly there is still tickets available for this.
Scotland's chance to stay in contention and it's not sold out yet.
C'mon Poland....

Which means a massive turnout of Polish fans in the stadium (much bigger than the number of Irish fans last November).

I think part of the problem is that Scotland are playing for a play off spot at most. I'm guessing there is a mood of pessimism in the country after two consecutive defeats and they think even that is beyond them.

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 2:00am
Robert Lewandoski, could be the difference if Scotland get a lead. I cant see anything other then a draw and at a push a Poland win.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 8:32am
I haven't watched Scotland's last game against Germany but it looked like they really put it up to them so I wouldn't write them off for a home win against Poland yet, regardless, I think we'll get what we need for at least a play-off!

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 11:27am
Does this kick off at the same time as the Ireland match. I won't be in Dublin. So if I had a choice I'd probably watch this game.

This game will have more bearing than our game with Germany.

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

I haven't watched Scotland's last game against Germany but it looked like they really put it up to them so I wouldn't write them off for a home win against Poland yet, regardless, I think we'll get what we need for at least a play-off!

It sounded on paper from the scoreline that they must have put up a tremendous fight but in fact Germany totally dominated them. Scotland had only two chances in the game and took them, so they were actually very flattered by the scoreline, it could easily have been a 3-1 or 4-1 defeat.

I certainly would never write any Scottish team off though. It wouldn't be a huge shock if they beat Poles even  though I don't expect it to happen.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Does this kick off at the same time as the Ireland match. I won't be in Dublin. So if I had a choice I'd probably watch this game.

Yep

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 12:56pm

Spot on. I remember in the pub in Glasgow after the match, some absolute gobsh*te spouting rubbish that he'd had prepared a long time, absolutely delighted he had a chance to do so

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 2:26pm

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we won one of our next two games. Football is very unpredictable : too many people are going for the doom and gloom scenario, but in eight days time we could be celebrating automatic qualification for France, who knows? Those who are predicting us to lose our next two games, I've no idea what they're basing that on apart from their own inner negativity and pessimism.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 3:24pm
2 Scottish strikers (Fletcher and Rhodes) already in goalscoring form today.

I'd imagine Poland would take a draw. I think Scotland will scrape it by a goal.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 3:24pm
It's all well and good looking ahead with optimism. But to actually say you have no idea why people think we will lose our next two games. Is complete donkey piss.

Germany will beat us. Who knows with the Poland game but a loss is bloody more likely than us winning.

I'm looking forward to both games. Doesn't mean I have to be deluded.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Yep

I can understand that but I'd always watch the Ireland game. You'd be kicking yourself if they actually pulled of a miracle by beating Germany or it was a classic comeback while you watched the Poland game.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 3:44pm
I'd be happy enough with any result other than a Scotland win. we'll get 1 point out of the next two games IMO, and it'll be enough

Two draws next Thursday is the dream scenario

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Yep

I can understand that but I'd always watch the Ireland game. You'd be kicking yourself if they actually pulled of a miracle by beating Germany or it was a classic comeback while you watched the Poland game.

Maybe in Mayo they only have one TV in a pub.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 4:09pm

It's all well and good looking ahead with optimism. But to actually say you have no idea why people think we will lose our next two games. Is complete donkey piss.

Germany will beat us. Who knows with the Poland game but a loss is bloody more likely than us winning.

I'm looking forward to both games. Doesn't mean I have to be deluded.

One defeat in seven games and only five goals conceded (best defence in the group). What in those stats would tell us that we are going to lose our next two games?. Anyone would think with the doom and gloom predictions we were heading into these matches on a disastrous run of form and on the back of a couple of defeats.

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 12:54pm
F. the stats, we are playing the World Champions who are overcoming their crappy form they had at the start of this campaign, and we are missing key players and have some injury doubts  to some of  other players, our keeper has pretty much been an used sub for three years at club level. So yeah the Germany game is very likely a loss. How is that doom and gloom?

Now the Poland game I think we'll get a draw, but losing the game yes that's a strong possibility.

I'm looking forward to both games, but I think Scotland's next game will define our chances of progression more than are own endeavours.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 1:06pm

F. the stats, we are playing the World Champions who are overcoming their crappy form they had at the start of this campaign, and we are missing key players and have some injury doubts  to some of  other players, our keeper has pretty much been an used sub for three years at club level. So yeah the Germany game is very likely a loss. How is that doom and gloom?

Now the Poland game I think we'll get a draw, but losing the game yes that's a strong possibility.

I'm looking forward to both games, but I think Scotland's next game will define our chances of progression more than are own endeavours.

We've still been well organised and very solid in every single qualifier no matter what team we've put out. People have made a big deal about us not beating any of the big teams in the group but we haven't been losing any either (I'm putting the Scotland loss down as an aberration......the Scots didn't even play well there and it's type of game we would normally draw).

For sure Germany on Thursday is a huge test, as they will create many chances, ditto with Poland in Warsaw but I still wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up points in both games.

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 2:48pm

why f**k the stats? They get trotted out on every other occasion. We had injury problems out in Germany as well. I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that the most likely outcome is a German win. But we got a point out there and have conceded less goals than them in the group. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that we might get something out of the game.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

why f**k the stats? They get trotted out on every other occasion. We had injury problems out in Germany as well. I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that the most likely outcome is a German win. But we got a point out there and have conceded less goals than them in the group. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that we might get something out of the game.

If you go onto any football betting forum, nearly every punter will use the stats to back up their reasons for making a prediction. They don't go by gut instinct or hunches but by an analysis of the form and stats of the teams. One defeat in eight and only five goals conceded tells us we're well placed to compete strongly in both games and won't go down without a fight. Zero points from the next two games would represent a drop off in form from where we've been and would be very disappointing (and I don't think it will happen....I expect us to pick up a point or points).

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 6:29pm
Lewandovski with another two today ..

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 6:38pm
Anyone think he's using up his goal count a bit too much and will not get a sniff in Glasgow? 

Different team and all that.

I suppose the hope is Scotland go all out and make it a game where Ledandowski gets space to exploit.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 7:21pm

We've still been well organised and very solid in every single qualifier no matter what team we've put out. People have made a big deal about us not beating any of the big teams in the group but we haven't been losing any either (I'm putting the Scotland loss down as an aberration......the Scots didn't even play well there and it's type of game we would normally draw).

For sure Germany on Thursday is a huge test, as they will create many chances, ditto with Poland in Warsaw but I still wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up points in both games.

Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Confused

Yeah it was a strange game. We've played like we did in Glasgow many times in away qualifiers in recent years and come away with a draw.....nine times out of ten we could play that Scottish team away and probably come away with a grim 0-0 or 1-1.

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 7:37pm
One bad result can completely destroy a teams confidence. The games at the Euro's killed our morale. Trap was never going to restore morale after it and led to Germany spanking us.

Speaking of that game in October 2012 we had some key players out with injury.  Similar to this year. A hammering again like a 4-0 or worse will leave us in terrible shape going into Warsaw.

One heavy defeat can start a landslide in poor results.  Hopefully Germany go easy on us this time.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 7:41pm
It wasn't a "strange game' Strazdas. It was a game where Scotland dominated our clearly inferior central midfield and thoroughly deserved to win. If we got that last minute header off the bar it would've been the ultimate get out of jail point.

Scotland were lucky to get away with the foul on Long but they deserved the win nonetheless and deserved the draw in Dublin thanks to us not being good enough to put them to the sword in Dublin when they were sh*te.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

It wasn't a "strange game' Strazdas. It was a game where Scotland dominated our clearly inferior central midfield and thoroughly deserved to win. If we got that last minute header off the bar it would've been the ultimate get out of jail point.

Scotland were lucky to get away with the foul on Long but they deserved the win nonetheless and deserved the draw in Dublin thanks to us not being good enough to put them to the sword in Dublin when they were sh*te.

Scotland did not dominate us but deserved a 1-0 win- a fantastic strike by maloney seperated us over 2games, apart from that we were equal enough!! This game will define our campaign- barring an unlikely result vs the germans. Can scotland do it? Im not so sure they have enough firepower- look at their squad and the goal scoring records its pretty poor.

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

One bad result can completely destroy a teams confidence. The games at the Euro's killed our morale. Trap was never going to restore morale after it and led to Germany spanking us.

Speaking of that game in October 2012 we had some key players out with injury.  Similar to this year. A hammering again like a 4-0 or worse will leave us in terrible shape going into Warsaw.

One heavy defeat can start a landslide in poor results.  Hopefully Germany go easy on us this time.

Spot on and to be fair to Trap for that match I think we started out with a 5 man midfield with Walters up front on his own. The manner of our beating against Germany was depressing a la Scotland 2nd half in June. The heads completely dropped and  we got smashed. 

Bottom line is Germany can batter anyone no matter what their form is like. I think it's more of an achievement for us to draw with Germany at home than beat Poland away given the German team we're going to face compared to last year. 

I hope we sit back and counter attack down the wings if possible to stretch them. 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net