You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U.S Politics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 323324325326327 334>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 8:44pm
Never mentioned them
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 11:27am
It's going to be very weird and extremely eerie around DC today for Inauguration Day. a crazy sign of the times when you consider that anywhere between 700,000 and 1.8million people at a time have attended over the last couple of events. 

Joe Biden's speech was definitely from the heart, he comes across as a genuinely nice man and wish him luck in his new job.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

It's going to be very weird and extremely eerie around DC today for Inauguration Day. a crazy sign of the times when you consider that anywhere between 700,000 and 1.8million people at a time have attended over the last couple of events. 

Joe Biden's speech was definitely from the heart, he comes across as a genuinely nice man and wish him luck in his new job.

A good dose of Biden is what we need. And what has been remarkable is how quiet Trump is, and how the loss of his platform has undoubtedly contributed to that.

Roll on better days, hopefully.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 2:33pm
Latest word on Trump is that he's considering setting up a new party called the Patriot party. If he did, supposing he isn't banned from public office via impeachment- something Mitch McConnell is thought to support-he would attract the glassy-eyed cult followers, racist loons, etc that don't normally vote and make up the MAGA base, thus shafting the Republican Party, which was never more than a vehicle of convenience anyway. Good news for the Democrats for the foreseeable future with the splits in the right wing vote. Re the list of pardons, Steve Bannon is probably the worst of a fairly horrific bunch but he could still be shafted. The pardon only covers federal crimes but what Bannon did-ripping off Trump supporters in a ' Build The Wall' online scam-is still likely to leave him open to multiple state charges for financial crime and multiple civil lawsuits. All good fun. I've got the Guinness in for the day's inauguration coverage , pity Joe's favourite band the Chieftains couldn't take up the invitation to perform due to the travel restrictions. Enjoy the covfefe, y'all !
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 3:24pm
A world without what Donald said or did is a very welcome one. Sleepy Joe and his boring voice is perfect. I can go back to not really caring much about US politics again
It would damage this forums' reputation
EireHammer1 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EireHammer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 3:35pm
What Trump has done to America is evident by the amount of security we're seeing on TV. My mate has backed Biden to mention Yates at 20/1 and is now down to 5/1! 
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EireHammer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

A world without what Donald said or did is a very welcome one. Sleepy Joe and his boring voice is perfect. I can go back to not really caring much about US politics again

Well said
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 4:14pm
There could well be a split in the Democrats too. They are getting further and further from their traditional base. I think appointing Harris papered over some cracks, but four years of bland centrist liberalism is only going to do Trump good. I hope Joe proves me wrong.

On a side note, I can't understand why anybody here would watch one of these things. It's like a Super Sunday without the actual football! Or the Oscars with only one award.

Also, that pardon system really is f**ked up. It makes knighting people into an Empire seem quite civilised. 
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EireHammer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Also, that pardon system really is f**ked up. It makes knighting people into an Empire seem quite civilised. 

A lot of the American system seems outdated and strange to me. The pardoning won't even get much traction with all thats going on but it is a disgrace that people can get away with what they done if it was in favour of the president. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 4:33pm
Im not sure there will be a split when the Dems have control. Biden won a fairly comprehensive victory last year in the primaries, and then won a comprehensive victory in the run off. I even see that there are 17 new GOP congresspeople suggesting they are willing to work with Biden. He also was able to get a fairly broad level of support from key progressives who took the view that getting Biden elected was of cardinal importance. In short, for the sake of the win, the Democrats are the party of Biden and Harris.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 4:38pm
They just about have control, which is better than the alternative, but still not ideal.  Not just that though, there is a huge disconnect between a lot of their traditional vote and the party itself. It has completely lost touch with the people it needs to vote for them who came out to vote this time because of the alternative. I'm not sure they will be willing to do that after four years of blandness.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 4:51pm
That is a fair point. And I'm sure Biden was not everybody's cup of tea. Another factor will undoubtedly be who the GOP put up.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

That is a fair point. And I'm sure Biden was not everybody's cup of tea. Another factor will undoubtedly be who the GOP put up.
Very much so, but if Trump is going to take the fascist fringe, it leaves the GOP back as the party of the ultra-conservatives and then it becomes about which way the Democrats go and liberals always go further right. That's why I think a split in one will lead to a split in the other.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 6:43pm
Will Joe run again in 4 years? He’d be 82 then or does Kamala get the nod? 

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 7:01pm
Apparently Trump left a note for Biden.

Would love to know what was in it LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Apparently Trump left a note for Biden.

Would love to know what was in it LOL
Probably drawn in crayons. LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 7:59pm

Very much so, but if Trump is going to take the fascist fringe, it leaves the GOP back as the party of the ultra-conservatives and then it becomes about which way the Democrats go and liberals always go further right. That's why I think a split in one will lead to a split in the other.

My real hope is that my hunch that Trump is too lazy, is correct. Having a little fiefdom in the established GOP is one thing. Having to actually establish and lead a political movement, in a country dominated by the two party system, is another. And over a 4 year period, I don't think Trump has shown any of the intellect, or the resilience, to establish a new party, which will united fascists, militia men, QAnon supporters, and the rest of the "deplorables". The gradual de-platforming could also be exceptionally useful in depriving him of the airtime he needs, in order to be successful. Also, he will have very few friends in the GOP, who will bat for him now. There are little vestiges of Trump left. The "anti-squad" congresspeople like Lauren Boebert and Marjorie Greene will fill that space and serve as a reminder, but they are limited, and will not be taken seriously. I won't count my chickens but in an ideal world, this defeat essential ends Trump.

I think there is a chance that "boring politics" will be back on the table, if Trump is off it.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

My real hope is that my hunch that Trump is too lazy, is correct. Having a little fiefdom in the established GOP is one thing. Having to actually establish and lead a political movement, in a country dominated by the two party system, is another. And over a 4 year period, I don't think Trump has shown any of the intellect, or the resilience, to establish a new party, which will united fascists, militia men, QAnon supporters, and the rest of the "deplorables". The gradual de-platforming could also be exceptionally useful in depriving him of the airtime he needs, in order to be successful. Also, he will have very few friends in the GOP, who will bat for him now. There are little vestiges of Trump left. The "anti-squad" congresspeople like Lauren Boebert and Marjorie Greene will fill that space and serve as a reminder, but they are limited, and will not be taken seriously. I won't count my chickens but in an ideal world, this defeat essential ends Trump.

I think there is a chance that "boring politics" will be back on the table, if Trump is off it.

I said before it shouldn't be underestimated how much of blow it is for Trump to be taken off his main megaphone Twitter.

Trump would've held huge Kingmaker like power over the GOP for the next few years with a possible run for the Presidency in 2024 if he hadn't instigated the assault on the Capitol which resulted in him being de-platformed. 

The fact he has been removed from social media was almost as important as him being removed from office in the 2020 election. 

I hope he sets up that 'Patriot' LOL party if it splits the Republican support but he won't especially when it involves some degree of work. If he was still prevalent on social media, there may have been more of a chance but I don't see it. 

Edited by irishmufc - 20 Jan 2021 at 8:10pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 323324325326327 334>
  Share Topic