You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U.S Politics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 256257258259260 334>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Anyone got the Borat - Giuliani clip?

El Puto Amo
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 9:23pm
This is what denial of democracy looks like

I hope every one of them made it to the polling station and voted Democratic the whole way down the ticket, from Biden right down to the local candidate for dog catcher

https://twitter.com/justinhendrix/status/1320033601224933381

Edited by sid waddell - 24 Oct 2020 at 9:24pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:32am
Beware the polls, in any election with even a semblance of legitimacy Biden will walk it, but I don't know why anybody would assume that this election would have even a semblance of legitimacy

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1320405722413215744.html

(5/18) Increasingly, this election is coming down to the simple question of how effective 40 years of concerted Republican voter suppression efforts will be. …
(6/18) Their main strategy, particularly since George and Jeb Bush got together in 2000 to use a Texas felon list to purge 90,000 Black people off voting roles in Florida, has been removing the names of people who are legitimate voters. …
(7/18) Those people then go to the polls and are given “provisional ballots“ which, in most cases, are only counted if there’s a lawsuit. …
(8/18) They think they voted, they tell pollsters they voted, but their votes don’t get counted. …
(9/18) Back in 2004, fully 22 states experienced what has now come to be called “red shift”—where the exit polls are “wrong” but almost always in a way that benefits Republicans. …
(10/18) For example, in the 2016 election, the exit polls showed Hillary Clinton carrying Florida by 47.7 percent to Trump’s 46.4 percent, although the “actual” counted vote had Trump winning by 49.0 percent to 47.8 percent. Trump gained 2.5 percentage points . . . somehow. …
(11/18) In North Carolina, exit polls showed Clinton winning 48.6 percent to 46.5 percent, but the votes that were counted turned out with Trump’s 49.9 to Clinton’s 46.1, a red shift of 5.9 percentage points for the GOP. …
(12/18) Pennsylvania’s exit polls showed that Clinton won 50.5 percent to Trump’s 46.1 percent, but when “eligible” votes were counted, Trump carried the state 48.8 percent to Clinton’s 47.6 percent—a red shift of 5.6 percentage points. …
(13/18) In Wisconsin, it was Clinton beating Trump in the exit polls 48.2 percent to 44.3 percent, but the “real” count put Trump over the top at 48.8 percent to 47.6 percent, a red shift of 5.1 percentage points. …
(14/18) Just these differences, reflecting thousands of people who showed up, voted, and didn’t realize their votes were never going to be counted because they had been purged from voting rolls prior to the election, handed the White House to Donald Trump. …
(15/18) Perhaps even more interesting, in states without a Republican secretary of state, there is virtually no shift at all, either red or blue, and hasn’t been ever. The election results typically comport with the exit polls in blue states. …
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 1:14am
He is actually getting browner by the day, the f**king state of him 😂😂😂
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 3:12pm
One week to go, and over 60 million votes cast.

Naturally, its been a seriously subdued election cycle, but I wonder to what extent it has been a product of the binary choice. Sure, the choice is always binary, but I cannot remember an election when there has been a candidate like Trump who engenders such a reaction where people cannot wait to vote for him, or cannot wait for him to be booted from office. From what I can see, it is seen and understood that the popular vote was never within his grasp. He understood that, and like in 2016, he either wins the electoral college, or he wins nothing at all. His voters have either stuck their fingers in their ears over the past four years, or they are actively endorsing what has happened over the past years, which is both unbelievable and grotesque.

The one potential positive to this is that it is unlikely that Trump will have gathered any new voters, in anything more than negligible numbers, and that all he has in his base. Also, Biden has significant leads, comparable to Clinton in polls in places like Wisconsin and Michigan, while places like Pennsylvania could just about withstand a similar swing from the polls on Election Day, and Biden would sneak the win. What was forgotten, is that Clinton suffered a but from being within the margin of error, and this enabled minor Trump wins. In an ideal world, Trump's base would have fallen apart, but polling would suggest that it has never grown. This is helpful, in that it means that he remains reliant on the electoral college, but polls in key states, which point towards Biden victories, and above the margin of error, would suggest he is on borrowed time.

Biden/Harris 2020!

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

One week to go, and over 60 million votes cast.

Naturally, its been a seriously subdued election cycle, but I wonder to what extent it has been a product of the binary choice. Sure, the choice is always binary, but I cannot remember an election when there has been a candidate like Trump who engenders such a reaction where people cannot wait to vote for him, or cannot wait for him to be booted from office. From what I can see, it is seen and understood that the popular vote was never within his grasp. He understood that, and like in 2016, he either wins the electoral college, or he wins nothing at all. His voters have either stuck their fingers in their ears over the past four years, or they are actively endorsing what has happened over the past years, which is both unbelievable and grotesque.

The one potential positive to this is that it is unlikely that Trump will have gathered any new voters, in anything more than negligible numbers, and that all he has in his base. Also, Biden has significant leads, comparable to Clinton in polls in places like Wisconsin and Michigan, while places like Pennsylvania could just about withstand a similar swing from the polls on Election Day, and Biden would sneak the win. What was forgotten, is that Clinton suffered a but from being within the margin of error, and this enabled minor Trump wins. In an ideal world, Trump's base would have fallen apart, but polling would suggest that it has never grown. This is helpful, in that it means that he remains reliant on the electoral college, but polls in key states, which point towards Biden victories, and above the margin of error, would suggest he is on borrowed time.

Biden/Harris 2020!

I still expect Trump to "win"

Obviously in any election that was free and fair Biden would walk it

But voter suppression, hacking and the courts will steal this for Trump yet, mark my words

Have a look at the US Supreme Court's decision re Wisconsin last night - they ruled that any mail in ballot not received by November 3rd cannot be counted - Kavanagh and Gorsuch went further and basically said that any vote counted after 11:59pm on November 3rd should not be counted

Pennsylvania will be chaos with the "naked ballot" ruling

Trump cannot win legitimately and he knows it, but that's not how he has ever planned to win

Expect all news programmes and discussion to proclaim a certain Biden win up to around midnight on the night, then the numbers will mysteriously start to add up for Trump, as happened in 2016 and happened for Bush in 2000 and 2004

I have zero, I repeat, zero faith in any American institutions that this thing will be remotely legitimate based on long experience of observing this

America is heading for Belarus territory 

If by some miracle Biden wins and takes the senate, it is gloves off time, pack the Supreme court, admit DC and Puerto Rico as states, enact a sweeping policy agenda that will cement Democratic rule for decades to come - simply by ensuring that people can vote

There is a Democratic majority in America - what we see in action is gerrymandered minority rule

If Democrats are very lucky, they may get one chance at this, the likelier outcome is they won't and America will turn into Hungary or something a lot worse

Edited by sid waddell - 27 Oct 2020 at 3:27pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 3:29pm
I believe it's 66 million votes cast so far

That needs to reach 100 million by election day - at least

The turnout has to be so massive that even the Republicans' attempts to rig this are swamped  - like happened Pinochet in Chile in 1988

The question is - how many of those 66 million votes will actually be counted

Edited by sid waddell - 27 Oct 2020 at 3:30pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

The turnout has to be so massive

Honestly, I believe that is what's going to happen. As I said, this is an exceptionally binary choice. Decent, experienced, long standing Public Servant, or Trump. Americans know that. There is a wing of Americans who will choose the latter, for all sorts of unsubstantiated, and bogus reasons. But that fell 3 Million short of a popular victory last time. This time, they are not even seeing that as possible. I also look at the commanding leads in key states, which are beyond the margin of error. I also feel that the campaign's last week can influence nothing.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 3:59pm

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

The turnout has to be so massive

Honestly, I believe that is what's going to happen. As I said, this is an exceptionally binary choice. Decent, experienced, long standing Public Servant, or Trump. Americans know that. There is a wing of Americans who will choose the latter, for all sorts of unsubstantiated, and bogus reasons. But that fell 3 Million short of a popular victory last time. This time, they are not even seeing that as possible. I also look at the commanding leads in key states, which are beyond the margin of error. I also feel that the campaign's last week can influence nothing.

The final poll spread in 2016 had Hillary Clinton 6.5 up in Wisconsin and everything pointed to her comfortably winning the state, she was well up in every poll

Trump "won" by 0.7

I don't believe that was legitimate, I think tens of thousands of Clinton votes were thrown out

Michigan polls from 2016 show a similar story

Florida, Georgia, Texas and probably North Carolina will all be fixed for Trump

Any analysis which doesn't factor this in is hopelessly incomplete

I've heard it all about turnout before and am burned by past experience, last year people were telling us that a record turnout for Labour might swing the election but it was obvious that the large early turnout was because the election was in December and they wanted to vote in daylight hours

Similarly I fear that the hopes as regards turnout this time may be misplaced and that people are voting early because of the current pandemic situation but that it will not lead to the overall increase in turnout that will be needed

Obama got 69 million votes in 2008, Clinton got 65.8 or something last time

Officially, there were 136.8 million votes overall in 2016, there needs to be close to 150 million this time

And Biden needs to be hitting at least 75 million votes, I think, or maybe more - whether he can do that is questionable

I would dearly love to be left with egg on my face this time 8 days hence

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 4:16pm
But one of the big stories post election was Clinton's "campaign" in places like Michigan. A neglected state, that Democratic operatives saw as almost taken for granted, preferring to out-wit the Trump campaign, by spending time in other States, as a form of political double bluff. The spirit of the infamous Martha Coakley comments about Fenway Park in 2010 seemed to come back to haunt a party that has suffered greatly from poor, or at least misguided campaigning, Clinton also suffered from a number of other factors, beyond her control, such as the vitupertive response to her gender, and also a campaign predicated on a series of stories put out by online-wackjobs, and perpetuating myths, that have been tried, and not stuck with Biden.

I've always believed that Trump's victory was a fluke, a freak, whatever you wish to call it The planets aligned, with the right opponent, an easily fooled public, and perhaps a deep complacency that the GOP had imploded, leaving an easy and simple path to the White House for Clinton. The political mindset of the wider public was also weak enough to vote for somebody like that, and it was at a time where other countries were seeing the same impact. The fact he lost the popular vote by a considerable margin, and won on the basis of the college system, is another fluke. It was not about getting the votes, but about getting the votes in the right places, and he did just about enough.

This time, I would be far more inclined to call shenanigans on the process and how it resulted in what it did, if Trump wins. As I said, his base is all he's got, a stiff breeze towards Biden will change those results, and the polls are more robust this time for him. I take the point that we will see how votes are treated, and what sort of disenfranchisement takes place, but as much as I abhor the result, I still see 2016 as a fluke, and a freak accident.

And the think is, even if Biden wins, I don't think you'll have egg on your face. Trump and his entire administration has done more damage to the office of the President of the United States than any of his predecessors, and Dubyah is in recent memory. Trust and faith is at an all time low, and people now struggle what to believe or not to believe. Being suspicious, at this time is almost natural.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 5:04pm

Honestly, I believe that is what's going to happen. As I said, this is an exceptionally binary choice. Decent , experienced, long standing Public Servant, or Trump. Americans know that. There is a wing of Americans who will choose the latter, for all sorts of unsubstantiated, and bogus reasons. But that fell 3 Million short of a popular victory last time. This time, they are not even seeing that as possible. I also look at the commanding leads in key states, which are beyond the margin of error. I also feel that the campaign's last week can influence nothing.

I needed a good LOL in these times. Thanks for providing it.

It doesn't matter who the candidate is or how experienced they are, if someone running for office tells me that he's going to raise my taxes if he's elected, that's my vote lost just on that policy alone. 

If there's one thing I learned from 4 years ago, it is never to trust a Presidential poll in America ever again. Same thing is happening again, and  we'll be told all week in the msm that Biden has it in the bag, until the voting stops and the counting starts. 

I know that voters on the ground i.e. those the left wing platforms ignore in their figures, are saying Trump will walk it. Something else I know is that every sitting President bar one, in the last 40 years has been re-elected. I don't expect that to change. 

Edited by planning - 27 Oct 2020 at 5:09pm
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

I needed a good LOL in these times. Thanks for providing it.

It doesn't matter who the candidate is or how experienced they are, if someone running for office tells me that he's going to raise my taxes if he's elected, that's my vote lost just on that policy alone. 

If there's one thing I learned from 4 years ago, it is never to trust a Presidential poll in America ever again. Same thing is happening again, and  we'll be told all week in the msm that Biden has it in the bag, until the voting stops and the counting starts. 

I know that voters on the ground i.e. those the left wing platforms ignore in their figures, are saying Trump will walk it. Something else I know is that every sitting President bar one, in the last 40 years has been re-elected. I don't expect that to change. 

Like I said, the last election had various different factors running against it. Biden is due to go to Michigan, again, on Halloween. Hillary spent her time in Iowa, with her operatives patting themselves on the back. Trump won the college vote, but was beaten in the college vote. If he doesn't hold the wafer thin majority, in those States, he's toast. You cant even compare it to the Gore v Bush race in 2000 when several hundred thousand votes separate the two. Trump was roundly beaten by the popular vote in 2016, and it will be a bigger margin this time. The attacks on Biden also didn't stick.

Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:02pm
GeorgeLOL and then Sleepy JoeLOL
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:06pm
538 had Trump within a polling error last time, they have him at 17% this time.

Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

He is actually getting browner by the day, the f**king state of him 😂😂😂

you mean Oranger Thumbs Up
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

538 had Trump within a polling error last time, they have him at 17% this time.

What do you mean by 17% as opposed to being within a polling error? 

17% chance of Trump winning or 17% behind? 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:23pm
I'm not familiar with the US electoral system - I've been reading on what's what and they have Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania set to turn blue, I noticed they have Florida and North Carolina both of them at 1/2 - How many flips does Biden need to win?
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:29pm
The trump campaign made 2016 a referendum on Clinton among the undecided and that worked out for them. The only policy talk I remember was around building the wall.

They’re trying the same tactic this time round but it is not working. It’s become a referendum on him and the US is so increasingly polarised the middle ground of the undecided is vey very thin.

Biden will get @ 8-10 million more votes, will get the collegiate votes to be the legitimate president... but how trump and his lackeys respond will put the USA in great peril. Anything can happen between mid November and January. Here’s hoping the  wins in the swing states will be so overwhelming that they can’t be challenged in the courts.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 256257258259260 334>
  Share Topic