You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

St. Patricks Athletic FC thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 89>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 11:14am

I don't know why people seem more interested in the capacity than some of the other questions!

As stated above, I'm dubious about the whole shebang but that's not top of the concerns for me. 
No doubt Pats won't be filling such a large ground any time soon but if they feel that a 12k stadium allows for use as an alternative venue for other sporting events, concerts etc and they can make a few bob that way then grand assuming the commercials work. 

It's the other commercials in the equation that have me worried 
El Puto Amo
Sponsored Links

Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 11:17am
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Build it and they'll come fair play to pats showing ambition the league needs better stadiums and by better stadiums I mean complete stadiums not like Tallaght or the New Brandywell. Could be used for U21 games league Cup finals and maybe if the fai tried to be a bit more ambitious an underage tournament. 

Nonsense, look at some decent stadiums up North, Glenavon, Crusaders etc are their attendances are shocking 
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Delighted to see this ambition but as stated 12,000 is ridiculous.  5,000 capacity is as much as any LOI club needs bar probably Sevco Cork.

Exactly my thought, even when the nonsense was going around after our Euro run that we would be building a new stadium/doing up Oriel etc... to a 8,000 seater stadium was madness.

5,000 max is what any club need! Id include Cork in that, cause over past 3 years how many 5,000 plus crowds have they got?

Over a third of home fixtures last season, if the league race had been tighter would probably have been more. 

12k for Pat's is a bit mad though. I'd imagine it's with a view to settling at around half of that. Perhaps they feel you have to start big on these things. I for one will miss Richmond when it's gone, one of my favourites.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 11:36am
There's an expectance that Dublin will grow by another 1 million people by 2040 it your going to dip into a small percentage of that you simply won't with the facilties and the state of most of our grounds in this country. Its gas we want a league to prosper but when we see some impressive plans we shudder do we want to stay in stadiums not even up to the equivalent of Conference football in England forever. Who knows Two in a row maybe this could be another stadium Dundalk can use for European football.

Edit Ireland will grow by 2040 LOL

Edited by irelandfan - 11 Apr 2018 at 11:37am
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 11:45am

There's an expectance that Dublin will grow by another 1 million people by 2040 it your going to dip into a small percentage of that you simply won't with the facilties and the state of most of our grounds in this country. Its gas we want a league to prosper but when we see some impressive plans we shudder do we want to stay in stadiums not even up to the equivalent of Conference football in England forever. Who knows Two in a row maybe this could be another stadium Dundalk can use for European football.

All things being equal of course everyone would be behind such an ambitious project. However, people have been burned before and, as such, are rightfully cautious. 
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 11:51am

I understand where you are coming from, but take Pats V Limerick for example with 1500odd in a 12,000 stadium and the atmosphere be non existent and wouldn’t entice many to go see again (non regulars) 

I’ve been to Linfield V Cliftonville a few weeks ago in the cup 1/4 final in Windsor, 3,500 odd there including two vocal sets of fans. Atmosphere was terrible as ground was empty   
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 11:58am
I'm sure the 12,000 capacity has events other than Junkies FC in mind but I'd welcome the idea and its completion.
Would be a real shot in the arm for the area of course. LOL

Edited by FREEWHEELER - 11 Apr 2018 at 11:59am
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
boots9 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 12:24pm

I can’t see them building the finished stadium for a long time.

I’d say pats will move in with one stand built and a year or two later they build the second stand when money becomes available. Pats won’t have a need for any bigger capacity than 2 stands but if other parties get on board with using the stadium for concerts or rugby they might finish the other stands.

In some way along the lines of how Tallaght is getting built.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by boots9 boots9 wrote:

I can’t see them building the finished stadium for a long time.

I’d say pats will move in with one stand built and a year or two later they build the second stand when money becomes available. Pats won’t have a need for any bigger capacity than 2 stands but if other parties get on board with using the stadium for concerts or rugby they might finish the other stands.

In some way along the lines of how Tallaght is getting built.

Not sure they can do that with the plans the way they are i.e. retail outlets under the stadium 
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 12:37pm
Cautious optimism in this.

What makes me believe this is genuine is GK is not a small player and the club president is a retired secretary General of the department of sport and transport.
My first question would be on what terms would we have rights to the ground? Freeholders, long lease perhaps? Delighted with the ambition being shown all the same. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 1:12pm

Build it and they'll come fair play to pats showing ambition the league needs better stadiums and by better stadiums I mean complete stadiums not like Tallaght or the New Brandywell. Could be used for U21 games league Cup finals and maybe if the fai tried to be a bit more ambitious an underage tournament. 
How are Darlington doing these days?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 1:33pm
By LOI standards that is a massive capacity, which I feel would be too amabitious to fill. I just saw that on the first weekend of the season a grand total of just under 14,500 attended all games across the league. That included a game between Bohs and Shamrock Rovers. I suspect even if it became a hub for the Youth Setup at National Level it would rarely if ever be packed out, unless senior friendly matches were played there?

The fact that Tallaght Stadium has generally coped with 6k and Dalymount Park is earmarked for 10k (as a groundshare with Shels and Bohs), and that will add to competition for national fixtures, it is hard to see why a refurbishment at a lower capacity wouldn't make more sense.
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Cautious optimism in this.

What makes me believe this is genuine is GK is not a small player and the club president is a retired secretary General of the department of sport and transport.
My first question would be on what terms would we have rights to the ground? Freeholders, long lease perhaps? Delighted with the ambition being shown all the same. 

Also, how willing would Dublin City Council be to work with someone who has filed a $1.2b lawsuit against NAMA?

Now, it might not make a difference, but surely GK's standing in the business community will be a consideration.

It would be interesting to know what other proposals have been submitted to the council for redevelopment of St.Michael's Estate?

As for the 12,000 capacity, I'm sure it will be whittled down to around half that.

Edited by Daragho - 11 Apr 2018 at 1:45pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 2:05pm
So by then we'd have 10,000 capacity stadium in Dalymount, 8,000 stadium in Tallaght (once the new stand built) and 12,000 in Inchicore.

Boom time is right, can't wait to see the FAI's plans for Eircom Park II
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I hope this isn't going to turn into a "we need to raise funds for the state of the art stadium by first building gaffs on the existing one" type situation as we have heard touted in Bray.

That's the only concern I'd have.

Would be great for the league if this is kosher.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 2:30pm
Also, what bogball clubs are in Inchicore?
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

Also, where is Garrett Kelleher getting the money from? His financial situation has been well covered in the media over the years, and it doesn't appear he's flush with cash.

He also has to spend a lot of money on trying to keep the 8th.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 3:06pm
The plans also include a Rehab Centre and a Needle Dispensary.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 89>
  Share Topic