You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 127>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 10:37am
Originally posted by benboview benboview wrote:

Suicide is a selfish act and too often we are told that the stigma surrounding it must be removed.

I never knew Katie Hopkins was on YBIG
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 1:02pm

Suicide is a selfish act and too often we are told that the stigma surrounding it must be removed.

Ridiculous and extremely narrow minded post. You've clearly never encountered anybody with mental health issues.
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Ridiculous and extremely narrow minded post. You've clearly never encountered anybody with mental health issues.

whilst i have been known to exaggerate i would go so far as to say the post is a dangerous one. suicide is the biggest killer of men under 40 i believe. it's not the kind of post a young fella with mental health issues needs to read - and i'm sure there are many on here. i'd suggest he retracts it or it's removed.  

that said it is the unpopular thread and that was a very unpopular post. 

Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

whilst i have been known to exaggerate i would go so far as to say the post is a dangerous one. suicide is the biggest killer of men under 40 i believe. it's not the kind of post a young fella with mental health issues needs to read - and i'm sure there are many on here. i'd suggest he retracts it or it's removed.  

that said it is the unpopular thread and that was a very unpopular post. 

On the flipside, there have been 8 separate people coming back disagreeing with the post, which would hopefully highlight that the vast majority of people in this country would be against the posters view (using this thread as a sample of course)
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 2:14pm
Well allow me to make it number 9, because that is a pretty shocking post. Not only is it ignorant but more worryingly it displays a clear lack of empathy around a very serious issue which has impacted a disproportionately large amount of lives on this island.
Although as randy has rightly pointed out it is the unpopular opinion thread so in that regard he has nailed it!
PaulB View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 2:25pm

People don't wake up one day and say, Im going to kill myself because I don't care about whoever, Lots of things factor into people taking the choice to end their life, Stress, Debt, Feeling worthless, People thinking they are a burden to everyone else, peoples minds work differently, for you it might be easier to deal with a difficult situation, but everyones mind is different and we all think in our own ways. I have lost a few people to suicide, I don't believe they where selfish, to get to the point where you feel there is no light at the end of the tunnel must be terrifying. Its all to common in young men and women nowadays. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 2:59pm
The genius that was David Foster Wallace summed up the feeling best here.https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/200381-the-so-called-psychotically-depressed-person-who-tries-to-kill-herself

Hopefully that works as I am on a hand-me-down from the Globex Corporation, if it doesn't just do a search for his name on any decent quotes site. The post above though isn't a bad synopsis of it and shows a lot of understanding of the mindset.

Edited by pre Madonna - 12 Dec 2017 at 3:00pm
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 3:54pm

It's by no means a selfish act. I see it as a cry for help.

Now saying that, I do see it as selfish when someone decides their way out is to throw themselves in front of a truck/car/train, etc.. that is an absolutely harrowing act for the person driving to have to deal with.

The whole Im a Celeb bullying controversy of the last week or so showed in many cases peoples attitude towards mental health and in some cases peoples disregard for it.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

It's by no means a selfish act. I see it as a cry for help.

Now saying that, I do see it as selfish when someone decides their way out is to throw themselves in front of a truck/car/train, etc.. that is an absolutely harrowing act for the person driving to have to deal with.

The whole Im a Celeb bullying controversy of the last week or so showed in many cases peoples attitude towards mental health and in some cases peoples disregard for it.

this is a difficult one, perhaps highlighted by the tragic case of clarke carlise and the driver who hit him (chris kilbride) who went on to commit suicide. it's a difficult one for me. i agree in someways but again you are not thinking about the state of the mind of the person committing the act. this is not logical or reasoned behavior. they are in utter despair. a state of terror. 

i know a lad who jumped off a bridge in front of a train. was he thinking about the driver? probably not. he certainly wasn't a selfish person in character. but he would have been in a state of hell at the time and would have wanted to ensure the job was done so to speak. 

on the topic of clarke carlisle, he became a father today to a baby girl. good luck to him.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 4:25pm

The Bridge is a 2006 British-American documentary film by Eric Steel, which spans 365 days of filming at the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge in 2004. The film captured a number of suicides, and featured interviews with family and friends of some of the identified people who had thrown themselves from the bridge that year.

The film was inspired by Tad Friend's 2003 article titled "Jumpers", written for The New Yorker magazine.[72] The film crew shot almost 10,000 hours of footage, recording 23 of the known 24 suicides off the bridge in 2004.[73][74]

In his article for The New Yorker, Friend wrote, "Survivors often regret their decision in midair, if not before". This observation is supported by survivor Ken Baldwin, who explained, “I instantly realized that everything in my life that I'd thought was unfixable was totally fixable—except for having just jumped."[75]

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 5:37pm
To imply that someone is selfish is to consider that they are thinking logically and that they are capable of considering the world from that other person's point of view. Too often, from what little I know of those who struggle with mental illness (having, thankfully, never experienced it myself) those who are suicidal seem overwhelmed by the prospect of continuing to live and unable to think clearly about themselves, never mind identifying with others. Now, that may not be entirely accurate, and of course they may well consider other people, but it seems that mental illness may be partially characterised by a lack of clarity of thought. To say that someone, suffering from an illness, is acting selfishly implies that they are capable of clear thought, and capable of putting themselves in the shoes of another. I don't think you can say that.

Now, I know it may not be difficult to consider that it would be harrowing for a bus driver to run someone over or for a train driver to make literal mincemeat of a person, but it's very easy to say that from a position of physical and mental comfort. Unless you have properly experienced the darkness of suicidal ideation, I think it is probably all too easy to say that it is selfish. I don't know of anyone who has properly attempted suicide in those circumstances to acknowledge that they had thoughts that what they were doing was selfish but that they did it anyway. I think they would probably acknowledge that it could be perceived as selfish, but that is very different. Now, there may be an argument that that is disingenuous and maybe it is; maybe it is a protection mechanism, however. I just think it is quite hard to know without ever having had those thoughts; from the accounts you hear, I know I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I really don't think it is fair to call suicide selfish, no matter the means.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 12 Dec 2017 at 5:43pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 7:42pm
I hope it isn't Benboview's actual opinion (more an unpopular opinion in general) and even then I do think a substantial percentage of the older generations 50/60+ would empathize more with the parents/family of a suicide victim 'If they only knew what it does to their parents' type of mantra rather than the suicide victim themselves. Suicide would've been seen as a shameful act when that generation were younger and we were practically a church run state.

The younger generations would tend to be not only empathetic with the parents but also be more understanding of the suicide victim themselves. 

Edited by irishmufc - 12 Dec 2017 at 7:43pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 12:28am
I can’t get excited about Katie Taylor winning

Like MMA and rugby, women’s boxing is just a sport that means very little to me
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Her gold medal in 2012 didn't capture my imagination in the same way an athletics medal would
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Her gold medal in 2012 didn't capture my imagination in the same way an athletics medal would

Probably my proudest ever moment supporting an Irish athlete.
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 5:43pm
I enjoyed ALL the Oman games, few goals few beers and a correct score flutter.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 6:47pm
Noel Gallagher as a solo artist is absolutely sh*te
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Noel Gallagher as a solo artist is absolutely sh*te
Hes in another band though, high flying birdsLOL tbf I think the first album is quality, second one meh, third one sh*te
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 127>
  Share Topic