You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 105106107108109 127>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 2:05pm
My productivity is far higher since I started working from home like most people I know! Weird comment.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

My productivity is far higher since I started working from home like most people I know! Weird comment.
Are you getting additional remuneration for your increased productivity?....on a connected point, I wonder how many will be happy to continue to wfh when the increased gas/lecky bills drop especially those who live on their own..

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 21 Aug 2022 at 2:24pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 3:25pm
I do very little work when I go into the office - spend most of the time playing pool or catching up with people.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 3:35pm
Not everyone is productive at home in the same way not everyone is productive in the office.

Before Covid there were loads of lazy sh*tes in my office who spent more time drinking coffee, chatting or looking at their phones. They got away with it because their manager was also lazy. I can't see them being any more productive at home.

My sister called in to a friend of hers the other day who was working from home. She had her 10 month old at home whilst she worked. Hasn't put him in a creche yet as she can get away with it. My sister was there for well over an hour and all your woman did was glance at her emails a couple of times. She works for a bank who was bailed out by the taxpayer. She is not short of money herself so nothing to do with cost of living crisis. That kind of carry on drives me mad.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 4:12pm
Maybe she was trying to entertain yoir sister? Just because your at home dosent mean there has to be sparks coming off the keyboard. Im back in the office now but whenni was working from home i tending to do a bit more in the evening. Or maybe not have a set lunchtime which you would tend to take when in the office. Overall i tended to get more work done while having a better lifestyle. Been able to cook a dinner in the afternoon as opposed to coming home in the evening and having to cook was a great advantage I found. 
I love beer gardens
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Are you getting additional remuneration for your increased productivity?....on a connected point, I wonder how many will be happy to continue to wfh when the increased gas/lecky bills drop especially those who live on their own..

No I’m not.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Maybe she was trying to entertain yoir sister? Just because your at home dosent mean there has to be sparks coming off the keyboard. Im back in the office now but whenni was working from home i tending to do a bit more in the evening. Or maybe not have a set lunchtime which you would tend to take when in the office. Overall i tended to get more work done while having a better lifestyle. Been able to cook a dinner in the afternoon as opposed to coming home in the evening and having to cook was a great advantage I found. 

Were you looking after a 10 month old at the same time?
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 8:40am
I work with Software teams in India and clients in USA, India four hours ahead of our timezone and US five hours behind, makes for a spread out working day, i can easily be off line for an hour mid morning here.

The Bailed out banks do use off shore development companies, so your sisters friend could have been up at 5 or 6 talking to Mumbai or somewhere.

Afraid old ways of working no longer apply in a lot of cases
Getting old and intolerant
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

I work with Software teams in India and clients in USA, India four hours ahead of our timezone and US five hours behind, makes for a spread out working day, i can easily be off line for an hour mid morning here.

The Bailed out banks do use off shore development companies, so your sisters friend could have been up at 5 or 6 talking to Mumbai or somewhere.

Afraid old ways of working no longer apply in a lot of cases
Think the "in a lot of cases" is an important qualifier there.

- if you're young, you learn a lot by being in an office, not to mention the social side.
- joining a new company, being in an office you get to know people.
- I've no doubt in years to come we'll find that people who are visible in offices will get more promotions.
- companies that make things (Intel etc), if your workforce need to be onsite, management can't be sitting at home. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 3:13pm
WFH has led to no drop off in productivity and if anything more hours are spent doing the work because you don't waste time getting ready and travelling to and from office, you tend to take shorter lunches and less coffee breaks and chats. Like HB said, when I go to the office I usually do way less.
I also don't work with anyone in ireland as I am in a global role and most others I work with are also WHF in their own country so there is really no reason for me to go in other than for the social aspect. 

The flex working model is really a gift. 

Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 9:22pm
I think some people are a bit short sighted. If you are working from home for a multi national, it won't be long before they decide that paying Dublin wages to someone working out of their spare bedroom, will go a lot further in Budapest or Mumbai.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 9:46pm
You can't really do that though. You'll be fired once HR find out about it. 

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

I think some people are a bit short sighted. If you are working from home for a multi national, it won't be long before they decide that paying Dublin wages to someone working out of their spare bedroom, will go a lot further in Budapest or Mumbai.

Most of the companies build and staff up their business in ireland so they can justify it as their European hub. If they start moving the headcount outside of ireland but record their revenue and profits here then it could end up getting them into trouble with tax. 
Plus they also hire here for the talent, location, language, etc.

I really don't think there would be anything to worry about that WFH will give companies ideas to move the headcount elsewhere. 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 1:11am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

i think you read lennys post arseways.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 8:57am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

i think you read lennys post arseways.

I did too Embarrassed
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

I work with dev teams here in Ireland, Australia, Poland and India,
Output and productivity wise(dont know about tax reasons side of house), even at Irish wage rates, there's value in development teams based here, and in some cases massively so.
the re work on some of the most basic errors, that then get by testers as well, more than doubles the cost
Getting old and intolerant
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 10:03pm
I'm not saying a company would offshore their entire workforce, but certainly a proportion of it. The company I work for has always had support out of Hungary and India at a fraction of the cost here. I agree that they are not as productive but you can employ twice as many, for half the price.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 12:36am
the womens national team are a tough watch and a bit like traps side from years ago.  A real slog. 
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 105106107108109 127>
  Share Topic