You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why go to Irish bars on away trips?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The truth is out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just saying like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Why would anyone care what someone else gets up to.   

Because they think they're more sophisticated and cultured than the rest of us the same as the lads telling us that popular music is not real music.  
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 5:24pm
Irish bars are a good focal point for meeting up whether you first move abroad (meet people from home who may offer tips/contacts for work) or just a handy spot for the first night at an away match.

The night before and off the games is the best craic at aways but it's nice to break away from the crowd too and stay a couple of nights in another city.

I do regret not having the energy to see the more historical sites/museums sightseeing of the city where Ireland may be playing I'm usually too hungover to do anything on these trips when you're boozing with the rest of the fans.

Football trips are generally piss ups anyway compared to your other holidays that you take where you do more activities.

Edited by irishmufc - 29 Jul 2015 at 5:25pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:43pm

Why would anyone care about someone who cares about what people get up to ?
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:55pm
There's Irish pubs in Ireland, well anywhere outside of Temple Bar.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:54am
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

One thing that has always baffled me about the YBIG Universe and the Class of 88 is a lot of you seem to just spend your days and nights abroad in Irish bars. Whether it's Tbilisi, Skopje, Vienna or wherever. What's the point in it all after travelling all that way to a new culture and country only to experience something you can back home? Would you not prefer to go to local bars instead of standing in a sweatbox wearing the same sweaty jersey full of Irish fans for three nights straight singing the Gary Breen song.

I go away to watch football not experience new cultures. And I don't know how much culture you are going to experience sitting in a Georgian or Macedonian bar LOL 

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:17am
I've never even spoken to a local on an away trip
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:21am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Sure they're all pickpockets, best avoided
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Sure they're all pickpockets, best avoided

Sure we cant even speak our own language never mind a foreign one... Embarrassed

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 2:43am

One thing that has always baffled me about the YBIG Universe and the Class of 88 is a lot of you seem to just spend your days and nights abroad in Irish bars. Whether it's Tbilisi, Skopje, Vienna or wherever. What's the point in it all after travelling all that way to a new culture and country only to experience something you can back home? Would you not prefer to go to local bars instead of standing in a sweatbox wearing the same sweaty jersey full of Irish fans for three nights straight singing the Gary Breen song.

The point of a trip to me is to see the game and fit in as much sightseeing as possible, we're there for just a few days in many cases, some we may never see again. 

There are places though like Bratislava, Skopje, and Sofia where with the best will in the world, sightseeing is limited, so the pub may be the "highlight" of the time we're there. 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 8:20am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

The point of a trip to me is to see the game and fit in as much sightseeing as possible, we're there for just a few days in many cases, some we may never see again. 

There are places though like Bratislava, Skopje, and Sofia where with the best will in the world, sightseeing is limited, so the pub may be the "highlight" of the time we're there. 
As for Brat i can't say what the highlight was there . Now i swore i would never go back hummmm that was until the last time we played them and of course the disco train LOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 8:51am
Stayed far away from the irish bar in brat the dubliner for obvious reasons their security staff !!!
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 9:04am
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Why would anyone care about someone who cares about what people get up to ?

I don't. Just curious   
AKA pedantic kunt
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

One of the best nights we had in Tbilisi was up in some local bars in an area a few young wans recommended to us. We were in McClarens when one of the lads got talking to them so we hopped into a taxi and headed up there. There were a few other paddies up there but not too many. We had a right laugh with the locals.

That was a great craic & if we make it to Tbilisi again, would head in that direction. As regards the original post, I wouldn't really give a sh*te one way or another, if I go to a pub, whether it is Irish or local, and there is a bit of craic in it, I'll stay, if not, I'll move on. 

Didn't like the Hangar in Tbilisi at all & really only hit it around 5am on the way home from elsewhere, but McClarens was a great spot, particularly the first few nights when there was very few Irish about (or at least there wasn't til 9F & the Saint & crew showed up LOL)

In Glasgow, we found an underground student/indie type bar that there was absolutely no Irish in, and had a great laugh in there, equally though, Campus was full of Irish & Scots & had a laugh there as well.

Wouldn't give a sh*te what others get up to, there are lads that go to their hotel & stay in the hotel bar for the duration only to leave for the game, and while I think that is a waste, best of luck to them if they enjoy it, each to their own. Know of a fella who has been to Moscow twice & never saw Red Square for example. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

One of the best nights we had in Tbilisi was up in some local bars in an area a few young wans recommended to us. We were in McClarens when one of the lads got talking to them so we hopped into a taxi and headed up there. There were a few other paddies up there but not too many. We had a right laugh with the locals.

That was a great craic & if we make it to Tbilisi again, would head in that direction. As regards the original post, I wouldn't really give a sh*te one way or another, if I go to a pub, whether it is Irish or local, and there is a bit of craic in it, I'll stay, if not, I'll move on. 

Didn't like the Hangar in Tbilisi at all & really only hit it around 5am on the way home from elsewhere, but McClarens was a great spot, particularly the first few nights when there was very few Irish about (or at least there wasn't til 9F & the Saint & crew showed up LOL)

In Glasgow, we found an underground student/indie type bar that there was absolutely no Irish in, and had a great laugh in there, equally though, Campus was full of Irish & Scots & had a laugh there as well.

Wouldn't give a sh*te what others get up to, there are lads that go to their hotel & stay in the hotel bar for the duration only to leave for the game, and while I think that is a waste, best of luck to them if they enjoy it, each to their own. Know of a fella who has been to Moscow twice & never saw Red Square for example. 

The Garage? That was a great spot. 

My train was 5 hours delayed and I was stuck in Newcastle with a bunch of lads from Drogheda I'd never met LOL Didn't get to meet any of the YBIG lads as a result but when you're on your own like I am for games, the Irish bars are the best source for finding people. Get mingling and 2 hours later I'm nightclubbing with a bunch of Irish lads I've never seen before LOL
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 1:50pm
Exactly deise. Getting into the aido m world of wanting everybody do the same thing on here at times :).
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

My train was 5 hours delayed and I was stuck in Newcastle with a bunch of lads from Drogheda I'd never met LOL Didn't get to meet any of the YBIG lads as a result but when you're on your own like I am for games, the Irish bars are the best source for finding people. Get mingling and 2 hours later I'm nightclubbing with a bunch of Irish lads I've never seen before LOL

Jesus they must be quality drugs you are on. Drinking with for 5 hours with lads you have never met :). I have heard of imaginary friends. But imaginary drinking buddies :)
AKA pedantic kunt
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 1:55pm

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Jesus they must be quality drugs you are on. Drinking with for 5 hours with lads you have never met :). I have heard of imaginary friends. But imaginary drinking buddies :)

LOL

I admit I did it in Cardiff though! LOL Was my first game going solo so I was too nervous to talk to anyone in O'Neills etc so I went off nightclubbing by myself LOL
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 1:58pm
Do you ever keep in contact or is it typical men never fall you again :)
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic