Why go to Irish bars on away trips?

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
Forum Description: Qatar n' all in anyways
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=52093
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 2:57pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why go to Irish bars on away trips?
Posted By: ABFC
Subject: Why go to Irish bars on away trips?
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 9:32am
One thing that has always baffled me about the YBIG Universe and the Class of 88 is a lot of you seem to just spend your days and nights abroad in Irish bars. Whether it's Tbilisi, Skopje, Vienna or wherever. What's the point in it all after travelling all that way to a new culture and country only to experience something you can back home? Would you not prefer to go to local bars instead of standing in a sweatbox wearing the same sweaty jersey full of Irish fans for three nights straight singing the Gary Breen song.

Replies:
Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 9:44am
I don't personally.

It's a good meetup point, find a few lads from YBIG or meetup before the match but afterwards I hit the bars and nightclubs. Thumbs Up

Like in Faro I'll probably end up in Erin's Isle at the start then spend 90% of my time on the strip 

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 9:45am
I have never experienced Tbilisi Irish bar at home

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: ABFC
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 9:46am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I don't personally.

It's a good meetup point, find a few lads from YBIG or meetup before the match but afterwards I hit the bars and nightclubs. Thumbs Up

Like in Faro I'll probably end up in Erin's Isle at the start then spend 90% of my time on the strip 

A good few from YBIG and Class of 88 seemed to just spend their time with each other in te Hangar or McLarens. Any time i walked by it was the same lads there. Same in Skopje

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 9:48am
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

I don't personally.

A good few from YBIG and Class of 88 seemed to just spend their time with each other in te Hangar or McLarens. Any time i walked by it was the same lads there. Same in Skopje
The only time I would get to meet up with a lot of lads I know are away trips. These are people I've met since going to away trips. Even home games I wouldn't meet them as they drink in various places/sit in diff sections etc. The odd away trip is ideal and always a good catch up. I know I'll be drinking with good lads, having great craic etc. 

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 9:59am
always check out the Irish bars if their good and not a rip off I usually settle in for a few if the craic is good like MacLarens was ill stay if not ill wander around and check out the locals spots. As sham says its great to meet up with friends from all over the world that I don't meet at the home games.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

I don't personally.

The only time I would get to meet up with a lot of lads I know are away trips. These are people I've met since going to away trips. Even home games I wouldn't meet them as they drink in various places/sit in diff sections etc. The odd away trip is ideal and always a good catch up. I know I'll be drinking with good lads, having great craic etc. 
ThisHugBeer

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:03am
It would seem that the "Irish" themed pub is extremely popular world wide, most likely there are perceived as a venue for much merriment and joviality.

On away football trips they are seen the focal point for meet-ups but can ultimately become the central drinking area for the duration. There is also a sense of reassurance in the "safety in numbers" herd mentality especially for the less adventurous.

Football trips are somewhat different to regular holidays in that they are generally much shorter and have two main focuses - the match and the craic. And to be honest weekday nights in some European cities can be a bit slow......

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

This

You go were the craic is. Doesn't have to be an Irish bar but more than likely thats where you can expect a good crowd and lively banter.

I'd normally start off in an Irish bar and then find out where the action is. 

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

It would seem that the "Irish" themed pub is extremely popular world wide, most likely there are perceived as a venue for much merriment and joviality.

On away football trips they are seen the focal point for meet-ups but can ultimately become the central drinking area for the duration. There is also a sense of reassurance in the "safety in numbers" herd mentality especially for the less adventurous.

Football trips are somewhat different to regular holidays in that they are generally much shorter and have two main focuses - the match and the craic.   

I'm not so sure about that one, I don't even remember the matches the next day - Whether because I was that drunk or because the matches were that bad remains to be seen LOLBeer

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

This

You go were the craic is. Doesn't have to be an Irish bar but more than likely thats where you can expect a good crowd and lively banter.

I'd normally start off in an Irish bar and then find out where the action is. 

Nail on the head here - Go where the craic is. Sometimes this is an Irish bar, sometimes it isn't. 

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:25am

I don't personally.

See Ab! That is cultural awareness   

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:36am
I remember going all the way to Moscow to get up in the morning and go to an Irish bar to watch the GAA and hurling all day

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: londonirish
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:49am
for an away game i don't see the harm in it as you'll only having a few before the match and catching up with old faces. i have some great pre-game memories from irish boozers all over europe. It does baffle me seeing irish folk on holiday going into irish pubs, especially with the mrs in tow. and wearing gaa tops on holiday... Never quiet understood that. 

Posted By: londonirish
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:49am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I remember going all the way to Moscow to get up in the morning and go to an Irish bar to watch the GAA and hurling all day

silvers?

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:52am
A bit off topic but even on lads weekend away trips there seems to be this draw of going to the Irish Bar . We were in Frankfurt for a stag and some of the group ended up in O' Reillys . They had cider and a pool table and couldn't have given a fcuk if the world was gonna end outside

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:53am
I can understand it on an away trip but a weekend away? A waste

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:58am
Personally, I usually stay around the hotel probably why most haven't met me. 

Next day do some exploring see whats about the guys that come with me sort of do the same, not a big drinker personally. I'd rather see about the city find some local spots and a good bit of grub.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:00am
Hold up, you are not a big drinker but every night you are off, you seem to be on here sinking jack daniels. Is your whole life a contradiction? Do you suffer from short term memory loss?

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:03am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Hold up, you are not a big drinker but every night you are off, you seem to be on here sinking jack daniels. Is your whole life a contradiction? Do you suffer from short term memory loss?

As in beer, I'm not going to stand in the middle of a square drinking a bottle of Whiskey PM. FFS man. 

Id prefer to chill in a hotel with my glass of jack daniels Clap

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:08am
Ah right, you don't drink, except for bottles of jack daniels

-------------

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:09am

I can understand it on an away trip but a weekend away? A waste

Tell me about it , the last day a few of the lads managed to venture away from O'Reillys and couldn't believe there was other places . I would be the opposite and head off no see what else there is to offer

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:10am

I don't drink beer or cider no LOL a few glasses a night when I'm off PM. Which isn't tonight Cry

Posted By: irish_goat
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:15am
I understand the mentality of some lads were the away trips are a rare break away from family life and all they want is a pub to sit in with their mates and have a bit of craic. I'd far rather explore the city and also not be gouged by Irish bar prices. I'll go to one to watch GAA or if there's an Irish match on but otherwise I try to avoid the places. 

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:26am

LOLLOL

When I'm passed out in the middle of Albufeira from all that Vodka "Don't worry lads, I don't drink" 

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:27am
One of the best nights we had in Tbilisi was up in some local bars in an area a few young wans recommended to us. We were in McClarens when one of the lads got talking to them so we hopped into a taxi and headed up there. There were a few other paddies up there but not too many. We had a right laugh with the locals.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: brendy_éire
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:29am
Personally, I don't see the attraction of Irish pubs abroad. Would much rather head somewhere full of locals.

I'd imagine though that many people on here, and in general, don't really like 'travelling', per se.
They just want to get away from work/the missus/the rain and have a few scoops of lager in a bar with English-speaking staff.
I'd compare those who sit in an Irish bar all day to those who go on 'sun' holidays.
They could be in Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cuba, Turkey, etc., the country is irrelevant. They're just looking for sunny weather and a few pints.
So for some Irish fans, it doesn't matter if we're in Germany, Georgia or Kazakhstan. They're not there for the culture or sightseeing, so the Irish bar will do grand.

It's not what I look for from an away trip, but each to their own.

-------------
City Till I Die

Posted By: OohAah...
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:34am
Good the night before the match to get the craic and the songs in...

But while away worth finding out the local gems of pubs on the other nights

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:54am
The euros and poland away were great trips with no irish pubs but the culture of sitting down waiting on a waiter to pass when you could have downed another two pints in the same time and when the beer does come down the glass in only 3/4 full to the 1/2 litre mark and the head is 3 inches big.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 12:21pm
Funny you mentioned Skopje the Irish Bar there was one of the best on any trip with the prices actually reduced for us. The man never sold as much drink in 6 months.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 12:59pm
I love the way a few people on here classify "drinking in local bars" as culture .....  LOL

-------------

Posted By: keitho5
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 1:19pm

I love the way a few people on here classify "drinking in local bars" as culture .....  LOL

LOLLOLLOL

-------------
Oooooooooohhhhhh yes sir......

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:07pm

Trying how many shots of Vodka they put in in their bars is culture in my eyes

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:09pm
Why would anyone care what someone else gets up to.   

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:11pm

First question we got in college was, what is culture.    

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Funny you mentioned Skopje the Irish Bar there was one of the best on any trip with the prices actually reduced for us. The man never sold as much drink in 6 months.

And you can be sure the Hangar was the same, it wasn't my favourite bar over there but she looked after everyone well. Free 7am pints

Posted By: Just saying like
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Because they think they're more sophisticated and cultured than the rest of us the same as the lads telling us that popular music is not real music.  

-------------
I don't know what more we can do in terms of being open and transparent - John Delaney

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 5:24pm
Irish bars are a good focal point for meeting up whether you first move abroad (meet people from home who may offer tips/contacts for work) or just a handy spot for the first night at an away match.

The night before and off the games is the best craic at aways but it's nice to break away from the crowd too and stay a couple of nights in another city.

I do regret not having the energy to see the more historical sites/museums sightseeing of the city where Ireland may be playing I'm usually too hungover to do anything on these trips when you're boozing with the rest of the fans.

Football trips are generally piss ups anyway compared to your other holidays that you take where you do more activities.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:43pm

Why would anyone care about someone who cares about what people get up to ?

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:55pm
There's Irish pubs in Ireland, well anywhere outside of Temple Bar.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:54am

One thing that has always baffled me about the YBIG Universe and the Class of 88 is a lot of you seem to just spend your days and nights abroad in Irish bars. Whether it's Tbilisi, Skopje, Vienna or wherever. What's the point in it all after travelling all that way to a new culture and country only to experience something you can back home? Would you not prefer to go to local bars instead of standing in a sweatbox wearing the same sweaty jersey full of Irish fans for three nights straight singing the Gary Breen song.

I go away to watch football not experience new cultures. And I don't know how much culture you are going to experience sitting in a Georgian or Macedonian bar LOL 

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:17am
I've never even spoken to a local on an away trip

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:21am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Sure they're all pickpockets, best avoided

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Sure they're all pickpockets, best avoided

Sure we cant even speak our own language never mind a foreign one... Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 2:43am

The point of a trip to me is to see the game and fit in as much sightseeing as possible, we're there for just a few days in many cases, some we may never see again. 

There are places though like Bratislava, Skopje, and Sofia where with the best will in the world, sightseeing is limited, so the pub may be the "highlight" of the time we're there. 

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 8:20am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

The point of a trip to me is to see the game and fit in as much sightseeing as possible, we're there for just a few days in many cases, some we may never see again. 

There are places though like Bratislava, Skopje, and Sofia where with the best will in the world, sightseeing is limited, so the pub may be the "highlight" of the time we're there. 
As for Brat i can't say what the highlight was there . Now i swore i would never go back hummmm that was until the last time we played them and of course the disco train LOL

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 8:51am
Stayed far away from the irish bar in brat the dubliner for obvious reasons their security staff !!!

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 9:04am
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Why would anyone care about someone who cares about what people get up to ?

I don't. Just curious   

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

One of the best nights we had in Tbilisi was up in some local bars in an area a few young wans recommended to us. We were in McClarens when one of the lads got talking to them so we hopped into a taxi and headed up there. There were a few other paddies up there but not too many. We had a right laugh with the locals.

That was a great craic & if we make it to Tbilisi again, would head in that direction. As regards the original post, I wouldn't really give a sh*te one way or another, if I go to a pub, whether it is Irish or local, and there is a bit of craic in it, I'll stay, if not, I'll move on. 

Didn't like the Hangar in Tbilisi at all & really only hit it around 5am on the way home from elsewhere, but McClarens was a great spot, particularly the first few nights when there was very few Irish about (or at least there wasn't til 9F & the Saint & crew showed up LOL)

In Glasgow, we found an underground student/indie type bar that there was absolutely no Irish in, and had a great laugh in there, equally though, Campus was full of Irish & Scots & had a laugh there as well.

Wouldn't give a sh*te what others get up to, there are lads that go to their hotel & stay in the hotel bar for the duration only to leave for the game, and while I think that is a waste, best of luck to them if they enjoy it, each to their own. Know of a fella who has been to Moscow twice & never saw Red Square for example. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

That was a great craic & if we make it to Tbilisi again, would head in that direction. As regards the original post, I wouldn't really give a sh*te one way or another, if I go to a pub, whether it is Irish or local, and there is a bit of craic in it, I'll stay, if not, I'll move on. 

Didn't like the Hangar in Tbilisi at all & really only hit it around 5am on the way home from elsewhere, but McClarens was a great spot, particularly the first few nights when there was very few Irish about (or at least there wasn't til 9F & the Saint & crew showed up LOL)

In Glasgow, we found an underground student/indie type bar that there was absolutely no Irish in, and had a great laugh in there, equally though, Campus was full of Irish & Scots & had a laugh there as well.

Wouldn't give a sh*te what others get up to, there are lads that go to their hotel & stay in the hotel bar for the duration only to leave for the game, and while I think that is a waste, best of luck to them if they enjoy it, each to their own. Know of a fella who has been to Moscow twice & never saw Red Square for example. 

The Garage? That was a great spot. 

My train was 5 hours delayed and I was stuck in Newcastle with a bunch of lads from Drogheda I'd never met LOL Didn't get to meet any of the YBIG lads as a result but when you're on your own like I am for games, the Irish bars are the best source for finding people. Get mingling and 2 hours later I'm nightclubbing with a bunch of Irish lads I've never seen before LOL

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 1:50pm
Exactly deise. Getting into the aido m world of wanting everybody do the same thing on here at times :).

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 1:52pm

My train was 5 hours delayed and I was stuck in Newcastle with a bunch of lads from Drogheda I'd never met LOL Didn't get to meet any of the YBIG lads as a result but when you're on your own like I am for games, the Irish bars are the best source for finding people. Get mingling and 2 hours later I'm nightclubbing with a bunch of Irish lads I've never seen before LOL

Jesus they must be quality drugs you are on. Drinking with for 5 hours with lads you have never met :). I have heard of imaginary friends. But imaginary drinking buddies :)

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 1:55pm

Jesus they must be quality drugs you are on. Drinking with for 5 hours with lads you have never met :). I have heard of imaginary friends. But imaginary drinking buddies :)

LOL

I admit I did it in Cardiff though! LOL Was my first game going solo so I was too nervous to talk to anyone in O'Neills etc so I went off nightclubbing by myself LOL

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 1:58pm
Do you ever keep in contact or is it typical men never fall you again :)

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 3:24pm
Good meeting point/craic.

Would only go maybe the night before and pre match.

Spend the rest of the day boozing it up in local bars whilst having a walk about the cities.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 4:34pm

McClarens was excellent alright, and listening to the Scientist murdering tunes on karaoke at 5am was a joy
Completely agree McClarens was far better than the Hangar

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 6:58pm
agreed. i preferred maclarens over the hangar but didn't spend much time in either.

quality strip of bars and restaurants between the two.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Conor Messi
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 9:33pm
Never mind McLarens or the hangar bar (which i enjoyed myself in anyway!).
Tbilisi was all about the Marrakech shisha bar!

-------------
@MessiConor
Hasta La Victoria Siempre

Posted By: TheFieldsOfAthenry
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 11:26pm
I love a sing song and the only place you'll hear that is an Irish bar. Simple

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by TheFieldsOfAthenry TheFieldsOfAthenry wrote:

I'm not a fan of Irish bar's on away trips but to be fair Molly Malone's in Old Town was a good place, the live entertainer was horrific but the roof terrace overlooking the square having a sing song and chill out was good.

Posted By: TheFieldsOfAthenry
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 12:24am

I'm not a fan of Irish bar's on away trips but to be fair Molly Malone's in Old Town was a good place, the live entertainer was horrific but the roof terrace overlooking the square having a sing song and chill out was good.

Gutted to say we never drank in the old town, spent 2 nights just walking in it taking in the sights and it was lovely but the strip had us ruined all week so by the time we saw old town there was no way we could drink another drop. Jinkys bar just before the strip was the best Irish bar I've ever been in. Loved it.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 12:28am

Gutted to say we never drank in the old town, spent 2 nights just walking in it taking in the sights and it was lovely but the strip had us ruined all week so by the time we saw old town there was no way we could drink another drop. Jinkys bar just before the strip was the best Irish bar I've ever been in. Loved it.

I went in Jinky's on the Wednesday soon as I checked in at the hotel, it's a good place, a bit hectic because of it's size and the owner was cool as f**k Clap

Posted By: familyguy
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Conor Messi Conor Messi wrote:

Never mind McLarens or the hangar bar (which i enjoyed myself in anyway!).
Tbilisi was all about the Marrakech shisha bar!

What a f**king spot Clap

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net