You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Josh Cullen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 64>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

If you look at our defence, I can't say I've seen such a strong back line for ireland in a very long time. 

3 very promising keepers 
A mix of very experienced and performing centre backs with a mix of Oshea, Collins and Omobamidele.

Part of that is the fantastic work Cullen in doing, he's effectively the replacement for Whelan but is a far far better player. 

Glen Whelan at his peak in a Stephen Kenny team would have been a different prospect. Because he was always asked to play a certain role for Ireland we sometimes for get that he was a very effective player with 300 odd premier league games at his back 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Outstanding tonight I thought. Super footballer

His body shape when receiving the ball is nearly always spot on. More often than not, takes the ball with his back foot and opens out the play. Essential for Kenny's style to keep the ball moving. I like the round the corner first time balls he plays too. It was something he tried when he first came into the team but our attackers didn't seem to be switched on to those passes.

As for those looking to compare him to Whelan, we don't need to do that. Whelan was a great servant for us, and for most of his appearances he was inhibited by the managers he played under. In the WC 2010 campaign, he was involved in play a lot more. But that all seemed to change in Trap's 2nd campaign, and carried through successive managerial reigns.

He would have been a different player under Kenny. Hendrick is proof of that.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:20pm
Would you compare Cullen most closely to, say, Kilkenny?
A deep-lying player who collects and distributes the ball well, good on the ball, very good protecting it and can pick a pass?

I'd have Kilkenny upped to the seniors next year as Cullen's apprentice.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

A deep-lying player who collects and distributes the ball well, good on the ball, very good protecting it and can pick a pass?

Kilkenny in March once he keeps playing for Bournemouth close to semi regularly is a must. Getting into a much stronger midfield his passing ability is quality Bournemouth supporters have bemoaned how much they lack that when he doesn't play. He's tailor made for us really. An long term injury to Cullen/Hendrick and your bringing in Hourihane no offence to him but he hasn't the legs. Molumby was injured tbf hes 3rd choice.

Hendrick and Molumby both on evidence so far lack the ball playing ability of Cullen where as Kilkenny would do. From seeing Kilkenny play his ball playing ability/range is superior to Cullens. 

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Kilkenny in March once he keeps playing for Bournemouth close to semi regularly is a must. Getting into a much stronger midfield his passing ability is quality Bournemouth supporters have bemoaned how much they lack that when he doesn't play. He's tailor made for us really. An long term injury to Cullen/Hendrick and your bringing in Hourihane no offence to him but he hasn't the legs. Molumby was injured tbf hes 3rd choice.

Hendrick and Molumby both on evidence so far lack the ball playing ability of Cullen where as Kilkenny would do. From seeing Kilkenny play his ball playing ability/range is superior to Cullens. 

Agree re Molumby, but I think you do Jeff an injustice, he's every bit as good on the ball as Cullen, his lovely assist for Robinson in the last round of fixtures, a clear case in point. I would see Kilkenny as an apprentice to Cullen rather than a replacement for Jeff who has more licence to play box to box while Cullen sits. Kenny seems to like Hourihane, but I'm not a fan and he's getting on a bit. I'm also not as keen on Molumby as some are, he still seems a bit headless to me, I'd prefer Knight in the box to box role rather than Molumby. I do like what I've seen of Jack Taylor also and think he can put himself into the conversation around those 2 midfield spots also. Further up the pitch, I'm looking forward to seeing Ronan and Smallbone get chances.
Idah Dream!
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 2:41pm
Best player on the pitch last night. How someone saw it fit to give Robinson man of the match over him is mind boggling. 

Edited by ShamtheRam - 12 Nov 2021 at 2:41pm
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Best player on the pitch last night. How someone saw it fit to give Robinson man of the match over him is mind boggling. 

Constantly asked myself the same thing in the past when players like McGoldrick and Walters got it.

I think it's easier to give it to attacking players, or debutants who haven't had mare.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 8:04pm

Cullen is the most underrated player in our squad, absolute class act 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Cullen is the most underrated player in our squad, absolute class act 

I wouldn't say he's underrated at all. I'd say he gets a proportionate amount of praise given his performances.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 11:16am

Ray Houghton awarded Robinson man of the match on TV, and then it is announced at the stadium. Very silly call from Houghton, everyone was shocked!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:43pm
This lad is pound for pound or most important player at the moment and is my favourite player in this side. He just strolled through the game cigar in hand almost nonchalantly in the 2nd half. He was in a tough spot with the booking so couldn't do much yet got stuck in when necessary knicked the ball a load of times showed for the ball constantly and moved it on despite the fact Luxembourg targeted him when pressing up. He's such an intelligent player.

He's a mainstay for Anderlecht not that I'm bothered if he stays there long term but I do wonder will he potentially get sounded out for a transfer to a PL team or one of the other big 4 Euro Leagues team. 

Edited by kevin100 - 14 Nov 2021 at 10:44pm
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

This lad is pound for pound or most important player at the moment and is my favourite player in this side. He just strolled through the game cigar in hand almost nonchalantly in the 2nd half. He was in a tough spot with the booking so couldn't do much yet got stuck in when necessary knicked the ball a load of times showed for the ball constantly and moved it on despite the fact Luxembourg targeted him when pressing up. He's such an intelligent player.

He's a mainstay for Anderlecht not that I'm bothered if he stays there long term but I do wonder will he potentially get sounded out for a transfer to a PL team or one of the other big 4 Euro Leagues team. 
Yeo, shining light of the campaign 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:45pm
Id rather he stayed away from the EPL tbh
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Id rather he stayed away from the EPL tbh

Agree stay in Belguim forever!
I love beer gardens
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:49pm
Hes 25 now but I don't think he's going to peak until hes about 28 so that can only be brilliant for us.

Hes as dependable as the day is long.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:01pm
I did a quick check on his stats. Highest number of touches on the field with 92. Interestingly, Doherty was second with 78. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

I did a quick check on his stats. Highest number of touches on the field with 92. Interestingly, Doherty was second with 78. 

Not surprised, I think he had the most touches on the pitch vs Portugal too. Which shows his influence 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:22am
A similar player to Glenn Whelan, who also tended to get a lot of touches though many were likewise short or sideways passes. I don't know if Josh will get to 91 caps too but he looks a fixture in the Ireland team in that role for the foreseeable future. He moved out of his London comfort zone to play for Anderlecht and it has paid off for him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 64>
  Share Topic