You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

London

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 10:58am
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

I liked a visit to charlton , orient, palace, Brentford, and millwall  way back when murdochs filthy lucre hadn’t poisoned football, no clue what any of em are like now.
I used to be a regular at Orient. A nothing club with most of their fans coming from Essex. Nearly all their supporters are white in a diverse borough. Nice little ground though.
Brentford is good for the four pubs, although that will end next season. Enjoyable, but it feels like no man’s land the second you come out of the station.
Charlton was enjoyable the last time I was there, but that was due to the effort to get the Belgian lad out. 

Millwall and Palace are the best of the league clubs, there’s still an intimidating feel going to Millwall you don’t get elsewhere and Palace do try and belong to their area. 
Some of the non-league clubs are quite interesting too. I just wouldn’t say it is the best city in the world to watch football, but it probably depends what you want from the game.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 11:47am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

I liked a visit to charlton , orient, palace, Brentford, and millwall  way back when murdochs filthy lucre hadn’t poisoned football, no clue what any of em are like now.
I used to be a regular at Orient. A nothing club with most of their fans coming from Essex. Nearly all their supporters are white in a diverse borough. Nice little ground though.
Brentford is good for the four pubs, although that will end next season. Enjoyable, but it feels like no man’s land the second you come out of the station.
Charlton was enjoyable the last time I was there, but that was due to the effort to get the Belgian lad out. 

Millwall and Palace are the best of the league clubs, there’s still an intimidating feel going to Millwall you don’t get elsewhere and Palace do try and belong to their area. 
Some of the non-league clubs are quite interesting too. I just wouldn’t say it is the best city in the world to watch football, but it probably depends what you want from the game.
What city is? I would like to have people's thoughts on this.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 11:52am
I’ve never been to Buenos Aires, but I would imagine it is difficult to beat.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 12:12pm

Buenos Aires is the best football city I’ve been to. It’s not without problems though. Away fans can’t generally attend games and violence can be serious which is obviously problematic. The Barras Bravas (ultras) have an unhealthy stake in each of the clubs. They are more like organised crime groups than the types of ultras we might recognise in Europe. 

Still though, there’s a real buzz around the place when a big game is on which is amazing for such a large city. The supporters are fanatics and it’s hard not to be swept up in their passion when you get near the grounds on match day. Also they have a great repertoire of songs and chants.
Theres not much of a corporate feel to it. They haven’t sold out. Football is still the people’s game and many base their lives around their clubs.  I can’t think of anywhere comparable to be a fan. 

Edited by MC Hammered - 12 Apr 2020 at 12:13pm
El Puto Amo
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 12:17pm

In fairness to the Brits though, they are good at following lower level football. Attendances in League One and Two can be very impressive. That’s not typical elsewhere 
El Puto Amo
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 12:43pm
Spain is a great football country, been to matches in diverse locations there and the fans really know their stuff, had great craic watching a group of older ladies at a game in almeria one evening arguing formations and tactics with a group of fans from the away side(huelva I think), nearly came to blows it got that heated and this was in a small bar nearly 2 hours before kickoff. Had a translation from an away fan I was having a beer with, he spotted my bohs top and made a beeline over to tell me he’d lived in Clondalkin for a year, mad stuff altogether.
My son was taken along to a vallecano game in Madrid by the family he was staying with and said it was a great evening too, the whole family go to games and it’s a real local pride thing apparently. LOI with a 18 000 crowd was how he described the feel.

Edited by oldbilly - 12 Apr 2020 at 12:48pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Buenos Aires is the best football city I’ve been to. It’s not without problems though. Away fans can’t generally attend games and violence can be serious which is obviously problematic. The Barras Bravas (ultras) have an unhealthy stake in each of the clubs. They are more like organised crime groups than the types of ultras we might recognise in Europe. 

Still though, there’s a real buzz around the place when a big game is on which is amazing for such a large city. The supporters are fanatics and it’s hard not to be swept up in their passion when you get near the grounds on match day. Also they have a great repertoire of songs and chants.
Theres not much of a corporate feel to it. They haven’t sold out. Football is still the people’s game and many base their lives around their clubs.  I can’t think of anywhere comparable to be a fan. 

To add to this, generally visitors to games there have to go through reputable groups, because these groups have the authority of the controlling groups to be there. As such, for a ticket a local will pay a fraction of the price the European or American tourist will. But the cost encompasses a bus from your hotel, a tour guide who will walk you from the bus to the stadium and into your seats, which generally were in what would equate to the “family end” and far away from the “populares” (probably spelt that wrong) where the ultras stand (generally in an upper tier). Apart from the rampant branding for Coca Cola, it is old worldy, absolutely fanatical, and it doesn’t just start and finish at kick off and the final whistle.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 12:59pm
I really regret that when I was in BA, it was preseason. Most teams seemed to be playing friendlies in Uruguay at the time.

Boca stadium tour was brilliant though. Fabulous stadium. The area around the ground though is dodgy as f**k though.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 1:37pm
I love going to Non League here. Tooting and Mitcham United season ticket holder. Great little club. God, I miss it....
@AntrimMan85
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 9:24pm
Still hoping and planning a trip to Boca.
Maybe next year.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
brissy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 12:08am
Lisbons a good city for football, theres a good club fc setubal, they get a great crowd for a small club

Edited by brissy - 13 Apr 2020 at 12:11am
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 4:18am
Enjoyed going to most of the grounds in London when I lived there (1984-1989). Really liked Highbury (North Bank or Clock End) and the Shelf at White Hart Lane. Plough Lane was the worst ground I was at in London.
Loved football in the 80’s in England, very few all ticket games and can’t remember paying more than £3 to go on the terraces at club games.
Went to about 200 games in London between ‘84 and ‘89 and only remember trouble at 3 of them:
Chelsea-West Ham, September 1984.
England-Ireland, March 1985.
Arsenal-Millwall, January 1988.

Edited by Mulvanystrasse - 13 Apr 2020 at 4:23am
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 5:30am
Originally posted by Mulvanystrasse Mulvanystrasse wrote:

Enjoyed going to most of the grounds in London when I lived there (1984-1989). Really liked Highbury (North Bank or Clock End) and the Shelf at White Hart Lane. Plough Lane was the worst ground I was at in London.
Loved football in the 80’s in England, very few all ticket games and can’t remember paying more than £3 to go on the terraces at club games.
Went to about 200 games in London between ‘84 and ‘89 and only remember trouble at 3 of them:

Was There, it was frightening
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 5:39am
Originally posted by brianie brianie wrote:

Originally posted by Mulvanystrasse Mulvanystrasse wrote:

Was There, it was frightening
The NF allowed to mow into us by the Police, my worst international,
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 8:43am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

In fairness to the Brits though, they are good at following lower level football. Attendances in League One and Two can be very impressive. That’s not typical elsewhere 

G E R M A N Y

Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 9:03am
Originally posted by brissy brissy wrote:

Lisbons a good city for football, theres a good club fc setubal, they get a great crowd for a small club

Belenense too
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 10:40am
Dublin is a decent city too some good spots to go 

Bohs
St Pat's
UCD 
Shels 
Cabinteely 

AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 11:08am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

I love going to Non League here. Tooting and Mitcham United season ticket holder. Great little club. God, I miss it....
There’s a good few interesting ones. Wingate and Finchley have a lot of history for such a small club. Clapton was an experience! 
I have never been to Fisher or Dulwich, as cheesy as the last one is, I feel the need to have a look.
I was reading yesterday about the time Tooting and Mitcham should have beaten Forest in the 1959 FA Cup, being two nil up at home in the third round. Forest got one back from a bobbled back pass and equalised with a soft penalty. Forest won the replay and the competition.

I see what you did there Baldy, but I think Belfast would be more interesting for a football tourist, Dalymount aside. I am very keen to go to The Oval as I never got a chance to. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536>
  Share Topic