URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=51611
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 1:45pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: London
Posted By: daboi89
Subject: London
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 2:59am
Surprised there wasnt a thread on London already but thats besides the point

After 5 months on the dole here with farcical job offers in and around Meath and Dublin.

I am outta here, flying out on Tuesday Evening

No Panic tho as Ive already Booked me return flights for the Scotland and England games,,and the fans games

Have been mining and tunnelling the last 7 years so im hopeful of getting something on the London underground expansion or construction related. Spent the last 2 months changing my Irish cards over to CSCS tickets (Money Racket IMO) but it had to be done.

Replies:
Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 3:03am
Gwan dead right man.
Over there myself in 2 weeks time,great city.

Posted By: heyirish
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 11:59am
The dogs bolox. You will love it

-------------
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now

Posted By: Stretchryan
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 2:05pm
Moved over 4 weeks ago from Luxembourg. Loving it. Moved with no job but started contracting in canary wharf last Tuesday. Best decision made in ages. Only one downside for me. Gigs sell out too fast.

But great place have to say.

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 3:25pm
As huge cities go its my second fav after NYC having lived in both.

Pisses all over Paris.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 3:51pm
Best of luck Daboi. Get yourself to Brixton before the hipsters completely ruin it, they have ruined nearly everywhere else. I blame the tories

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Best of luck Daboi. Get yourself to Brixton before the hipsters completely ruin it, they have ruined nearly everywhere else. I blame the tories

cheers.. hipsters.. them ****s going round with glasses wrong and f**k all wrong with their eyes? Dont worry Ill sort em out. ive a 200 pound sports direct voucher burning a hole in me pocket

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Pisses all over Paris.

+1
dont like paris at all

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 4:10pm
Where you going living?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 4:37pm

Where you going living?

looking for somewhere. will stay with mates for a while til i get sorted in croydon and islington

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 4:54pm
Good luck with your venture in London. Sure beats this rat hole of a country.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 5:27pm
Anybody on here involved with RISSC?
It's the Republic of Ireland's soccer supporters club in London.
www.rissc.org

-------------

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 5:54pm

Pisses all over Paris.

Similar to Gary of all the major world cities I have lived in Newry and London , London just shades it

Croydon is a dump by all accounts u stay there during the week most weeks and my movements are train station hotel train station

I did venture out a couple of times but it is a wasteland

London defunetly has a buzz about it left it 20 years ago and was glad to head north but am back now working in during the week and there are definetly worse places to be stuck

Good luck with the move

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Stretchryan Stretchryan wrote:

Moved over 4 weeks ago from Luxembourg. Loving it. Moved with no job but started contracting in canary wharf last Tuesday. Best decision made in ages. Only one downside for me. Gigs sell out too fast.

Didn't know you were in the big smoke SR we should get a beer sometime (a quiet midweek beer tues/wed that is )

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 6:00pm
Enjoy your time , great place to be i must say loved my time in London but would never want to grow old in that city that's for sure .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 6:08pm
A great city no doubt BUT you'll soon love it and hate it at the same time.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Enjoy your time , great place to be i must say loved my time in London but would never want to grow old in that city that's for sure .

Yes they say everyone should live in London in their twenties but leave it in your thirties.

Which is exactly what I did.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 6:29pm

Yes they say everyone should live in London in their twenties but leave it in your thirties.

Which is exactly what I did.

That's crazy! That's literally hundreds of millions of people, all living in London, all at the same time!?

It'd never work, Gary. It'd NEVER work.

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 6:36pm
Only EU nationals !!

-------------

Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

spot on. I miss it every day. Spent every day there giving out about it

-------------

Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 6:57pm
I always said if you ever had to run in the underground at any time it was time to leave .

I found myself running at the end of my time there as time was short .

Here in Athenry hours pass and nothing really worries me as i live life in the slow lane and i must say i am as happy as i have ever been in life just watching the grass grow in the back garden . Now if i stop smoking it , well what can i say Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 6:59pm
I couldn't understand the running in the evening, and never will

-------------

Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 7:08pm
You get sucked in as you don't know it at the time as i called it London time as time moved so fast and you had to keep up .
It took me a a long time to chill here in Ireland but i got there in the end .
Love going back to London but would never live there again . Same with Dublin love to visit but do not want to live there as far too fast for me .

-------------

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 7:38pm
Moved here after just turning 20 initially after 16 months in Southampton and Bournemouth before that. Couldn't wait to get out of there i personally love Londo  the hustle and bustle of the place.
Lived in Harrow to start and now Brentford, thinking of moving to Uxbridge next year if i don't get an offer from Aer to head home. I've been here coming 5 years and its flew in! 

Love it here, but defiantly heading home to settle down hopefully in a few years Thumbs Up

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Didn't know you were in the big smoke SR we should get a beer sometime (a quiet midweek beer tues/wed that is )

Midweek quiet drink with SR

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 8:32pm
Should be home for the weekend.

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 09 May 2015 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Moved here after just turning 20 initially after 16 months in Southampton and Bournemouth before that. Couldn't wait to get out of there i personally love Londo  the hustle and bustle of the place.
Lived in Harrow to start and now Brentford, thinking of moving to Uxbridge next year if i don't get an offer from Aer to head home. I've been here coming 5 years and its flew in! 

Love it here, but defiantly heading home to settle down hopefully in a few years Thumbs Up

Defiantly what are you going to do move home with one arm raised and waving a flag or something :)

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 10 May 2015 at 5:02am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Aye, that'll end well LOL

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 10 May 2015 at 9:53am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 10 May 2015 at 9:55am
One of the worst cities I've ever been to. Gan for a piss in a back alley and you got a rat up your ass like Rolf Harris.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 10 May 2015 at 4:53pm

How long were you there? Would you not go back?

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 10 May 2015 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

How long were you there? Would you not go back?

I possibly will, came home to sort me head and that is going to take time! I was there four years but I have to disassociate the place from the love of my life who still lives there

-------------

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 8:06am
Living in London 5 years now.  Absolute love the spot.

North London is where it is at Cool

Posted By: Barna Bee
Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 8:41am
Here 15 years this June ...if it wasn't for the young family would probably stay forever. but this time next years I will be on sounthern hemisphere time , watching Spurs at 4 am on a Sunday morning .

Will miss lots about the london , the pace, the football , going out to eat whatever you want, the diversity  ....always something worth doing . Whats the saying " when you are tired of London you are tired of life " or something ....can safely say its not the reason for leaving .

London rocks 

-------------
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"

Posted By: Hoosay
Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 9:50am
Moved over for a year in 1998. Still here.

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 12:44pm

Interrupting the love in a bit here but while I love visiting London as it's huge and there is loads to do I always thought the place was full of ****s. Rude ****s. What's the point in running for the tube in the evening, there'll be another one along in 3 minutes most of them are just heading home.

I much prefer the smaller cities up north Liverpool, Leeds and especially Manchester.

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 1:23pm
Can count on one hand the number of times I've run for the tube. Mainly because I'm lazy, but also because as you say, there's always another one in a few minutes. Unless it's the last one, in which case leg it because you're f**ked if you miss it.

Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 2:00pm
here  a long time , never ran for a tube unless it was the lastone of the night

-------------

Posted By: londonirish
Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by daboi89 daboi89 wrote:

After 5 months on the dole here with farcical job offers in and around Meath and Dublin.

No Panic tho as Ive already Booked me return flights for the Scotland and England games,,and the fans games

Have been mining and tunnelling the last 7 years so im hopeful of getting something on the London underground expansion or construction related. Spent the last 2 months changing my Irish cards over to CSCS tickets (Money Racket IMO) but it had to be done.

Good luck. Great town and plenty of work on the tracks with big money to be made, especially if you don't mind working nights. I don't mind sending you on a contact in that game if you're having no luck... PM me if needed.

would stay out north or west if i was you (head north west if in doubt), especially when you first land. city workers tend to head south (clapham etc), head bangers and hipsters head east. 

Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by londonirish londonirish wrote:

Good luck. Great town and plenty of work on the tracks with big money to be made, especially if you don't mind working nights. I don't mind sending you on a contact in that game if you're having no luck... PM me if needed.

would stay out north or west if i was you (head north west if in doubt), especially when you first land. city workers tend to head south (clapham etc), head bangers and hipsters head east. 

Ok LI i just have to ask , what's happens in the middle ?

-------------

Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 3:44pm

Ok LI i just have to ask , what's happens in the middle ?

Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Barna Bee Barna Bee wrote:

Here 15 years this June ...if it wasn't for the young family would probably stay forever. but this time next years I will be on sounthern hemisphere time , watching Spurs at 4 am on a Sunday morning .

Will miss lots about the london , the pace, the football , going out to eat whatever you want, the diversity  ....always something worth doing . Whats the saying " when you are tired of London you are tired of life " or something ....can safely say its not the reason for leaving .

London rocks 

In the top 5 things wrong with London, Australians would have to be mentioned. You want to move to a country full of the bastards?

-------------

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 3:56pm
I loved living in London, but it's not a great place to bring up a family unless you can afford to live in a posh area, so I came back. I can't understand why young fellas here would sit around waiting for work when this enormous city only an hour or so away, always has opportunities. 

I lived there for a while in the 80's. I worked for a freight company so I didn't find the pace of things much different to living in Dublin city. Life is always fast in freight companies.

Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 3:59pm
I would say you get very busy at Halloween?

-------------

Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 4:25pm

London rocks 

In the top 5 things wrong with London, Australians would have to be mentioned. You want to move to a country full of the bastards?

you mean like my wife?Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 4:50pm
You married an Ozzie and you follow Spurs? You into whips and chains as well?

-------------

Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 5:12pm

You married an Ozzie and you follow Spurs? You into whips and chains as well?

you supposedly into humour ?Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 5:19pm
Well we had established that you are not

-------------

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 11 May 2015 at 7:11pm
Have worked in London the last 7 years and wouldn't be a fan of the place, a lot of very unfriendly people who have no interest in making conversation whatsoever, one thing I will say is the standard of driving is excellent as in ireland you can get away with things on the road but in London they are to sharp!

Date Posted: 12 May 2015 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Defiantly what are you going to do move home with one arm raised and waving a flag or something :)

what?Confused

Posted By: londonirish
Date Posted: 12 May 2015 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Have worked in London the last 7 years and wouldn't be a fan of the place, a lot of very unfriendly people who have no interest in making conversation whatsoever, one thing I will say is the standard of driving is excellent as in ireland you can get away with things on the road but in London they are to sharp!

7 years in London and the one thing you will say is the "standard of driving is excellent".

I fear you have just wasted 7 years of your life.

Date Posted: 12 May 2015 at 11:34am

7 years in London and the one thing you will say is the "standard of driving is excellent".

LOL

Date Posted: 12 May 2015 at 11:46am

LOL

I was thinking the same ...wtf man.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 May 2015 at 11:50am

7 years in London and the <span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">one thing you will say is the "standard of driving is excellent".</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">I fear you have just wasted 7 years of your life.</span>
haha! You could say i wasted 7 years in London as all i ever done there was sleep really, i would drive to London through the night and then go to a hotel and sleep all day so the thing for me that sticks out is good driving and very enthusiastic hotel staff who will go to great lengths to give you a free newspaper!

Date Posted: 12 May 2015 at 12:28pm
You live in ahotel anddrive all night. Are you Alan Partridge?

-------------

Posted By: d13dave
Date Posted: 12 May 2015 at 12:33pm
that post is getting the sl*gging it deserves Clap

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 12 May 2015 at 12:48pm

You live in ahotel anddrive all night. Are you Alan Partridge?

Clap

Ah ha

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 12 May 2015 at 9:08pm
It's not that mad really plenty of people do it, drive all night then go to the hotel have a sleep and then drive back again that night. only ever stayed in London once at night time, have stayed outside London before in Crawley but unlike some people who claim to live in London when in fact they live about 30 miles outside like Luton for example it's nearly closer to Coventry than London!!!

Date Posted: 14 May 2015 at 5:06pm
Any amount work here.why I waited 5 months to come is a question I'll never be able to answer

Date Posted: 14 May 2015 at 5:11pm

Any amount work here.why I waited 5 months to come is a question I'll never be able to answer
that's true, plenty of hotel jobs and another popular job is working in the bookies, William hill are always recruiting staff

Date Posted: 17 May 2015 at 7:55pm
West End Tickets

Lads where will I get cheap tickets for West end shows.Is there anywhere the equivalent of that place in New York Time square with legit cheap tickets . I can call in in person for am working close by covent garden

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2015 at 8:36pm

West End Tickets

Lads where will I get cheap tickets for West end shows.Is there anywhere the equivalent of that place in New York Time square with legit cheap tickets . I can call in in person for am working close by covent garden

Try amazon local. They always have west end theatre offers online. https://local.amazon.co.uk/London-wide/deals/entertainment-travel?ref_=site_nav_browse&cid=site_nav_browse" rel="nofollow - https://local.amazon.co.uk/London-wide/deals/entertainment-travel?ref_=site_nav_browse&cid=site_nav_browse

Apart from that there's a booth selling discounted tickets on the corner of Leicester Square. I forget the name of it but it's got an italian deli restaurant next to it and a casino across from it. It's at the side of Leicester Square where the tube station is.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 17 May 2015 at 8:41pm

West End Tickets

Try amazon local. They always have west end theatre offers online.

Apart from that there's a booth selling discounted tickets on the corner of Leicester Square. I forget the name of it but it's got an italian deli restaurant next to it and a casino across from it. It's at the side of Leicester Square where the tube station is.

got them there before myself

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2015 at 9:00pm
TKTS is the booth the lads are talking about if I rememeber right, got a few there myself

Date Posted: 17 May 2015 at 9:49pm
Thanks lads

-------------

Posted By: familyguy
Date Posted: 17 May 2015 at 10:56pm
Anyone recommend late bar/nightclub of a Wednesday night around the Emirates or in towards the city - heading over this Wednesday

Date Posted: 17 May 2015 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by familyguy familyguy wrote:

Anyone recommend late bar/nightclub of a Wednesday night around the Emirates or in towards the city - heading over this Wednesday
The Roadhouse in Covent Garden is open until 3am. It has Rockaoke on Wednesday nights which is good craic.  

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 12:04am
That sounds like hell

-------------

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 3:00am
Roadhouse is a great spot! Dunno about a Rockaoke night though...

Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 3:29am
Have been to roadhouse, not really my kind of spot. Rockaoke sounds abysmal though

-------------

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 8:12am

West End Tickets

Tkts booth in Leicester Sq on the day is your best shout 

The Clock Tower, Leicester Square, London WC2H 7DE

Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 8:55am
Originally posted by El_nino El_nino wrote:

West End Tickets

<table ="ts intrlu" width="100%" style="border-collapse: collapse; color: rgb84, 84, 84; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 18px;"><t><tr><td valign="top" style="padding: 0px; color: rgb34, 34, 34; line-height: 1.24;">The Clock Tower, Leicester Square, London WC2H 7DE</td></tr></t></table>

They don't do advance tickets ? Would be looking for sat 30th

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 9:43am

Originally posted by El_nino El_nino wrote:

West End Tickets

<table ="ts intrlu" width="100%" style="border-collapse: collapse; color: rgb84, 84, 84; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 18px;"><t><tr><td valign="top" style="padding: 0px; color: rgb34, 34, 34; line-height: 1.24;">The Clock Tower, Leicester Square, London WC2H 7DE</td></tr></t></table>

They don't do advance tickets ? Would be looking for sat 30th
Yep on the day NR or you will have to pay full price if you want in advance  .
You will get tickets on the day but maybe not your # 1 choice but like they say it's half price tickets .....

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 10:27am
murph

Not my first choice as in which show or where I sit

-------------

Posted By: Just saying like
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:04am
That sounds like a complete shambles of a system.  They should get someone to advise them in relation to setting up a proper ticketing system.  There was a poster on the forum who who was an authority on this but I heard he was recruited by some Nigerian big wig to advise him on financial issues.  Pity, he would have been ideal. 

-------------
I don't know what more we can do in terms of being open and transparent - John Delaney

Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Just saying like Just saying like wrote:

That sounds like a complete shambles of a system.  They should get someone to advise them in relation to setting up a proper ticketing system.  There was a poster on the forum who who was an authority on this but I heard he was recruited by some Nigerian big wig to advise him on financial issues.  Pity, he would have been ideal. 

Speaking of which I did pose the question which would come sooner the details of fans direct or the money transfer from a Nigerian prince ? I suspect it will be the money

-------------

Posted By: Just saying like
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:48am

Originally posted by Just saying like Just saying like wrote:

Speaking of which I did pose the question which would come sooner the details of fans direct or the money transfer from a Nigerian prince ? I suspect it will be the money

Fair play Newry.  You're a great man for the questions.

-------------
I don't know what more we can do in terms of being open and transparent - John Delaney

Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 2:41pm
try Stubhub for shows in London too

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 2:52pm

try Stubhub for shows in London too

just tried a sample date and show, for the price per ticket I assume this included being allowed to get up on stage and belting out a few numbers ourselves

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 1:00pm
anyone on here try spareroom for accommodation?

Ive been to look at a few houses now and its a f**kin nightmare trying to find Irish or even European people

went to view a house a few days back where they classed themselves as tradesmen living in london for the work. turned out they were from f**kin Bangladesh, no word of a lie, the house smelled like a 1 star kebab shop

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 1:23pm

anyone on here try spareroom for accommodation?

Ive been to look at a few houses now and its a f**kin nightmare trying to find Irish or even European people

went to view a house a few days back where they classed themselves as tradesmen living in london for the work. turned out they were from f**kin Bangladesh, no word of a lie, the house smelled like a 1 star kebab shop

It depends on what area's you are looking in and your budget.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 3:14pm
Getting decent accommodation at an affordable price and in a decent area is a nightmare in london.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 3:16pm
A lot of the younger generation of Irish live around Clapham Common. Keep an eye out for that area Daboi. Some good pubs for sport and other food joints there plus it's on the Northern tube line.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 3:21pm
If it's not Norf Laaaaandan ....it doesn't count ....Saaaaaarf Laaaaaandan is a balls . I never cross the river to go South....welll not since i stopped going to the Swan and thats 12 years ago:-)

-------------

Posted By: MJD
Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 3:49pm
Don't listen to Coleman, avoid South London like the plague! If you're not in a part that's a sh1thole you're in a part that used to be a sh1thole but is now full of hipsters. Plus there's a million more things to do in north London.

North West London would be where the majority of young Irish would be these days. Willesden Green and Cricklewood would probably be the best shout, or if you want somewhere with better travel access you should try Kentish Town/Holloway.

-------------
17 International Caps
16 International Goals
COYFIG

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 3:58pm
Group of us heading over to London this weekend.Staying in Cricklewood.Any good recommendations for a decent pub with bookies close by.Wanna kill a few hours on Saturday afternoon.

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 4:02pm
I don't get this whole north/south london garbage those two locals are yapping on about. The Alex in Clapham Common is one of the most popular pubs in London for Irish to watch the GAA. The common itself is full every weekend with football, gaa etc teams training. Do your research and find what suits you best. It took myself and the Mrs six months of looking before finding the right gaff in a location that suited us both. It shouldn't take you as long obviously.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Group of us heading over to London this weekend.Staying in Cricklewood.Any good recommendations for a decent pub with bookies close by.Wanna kill a few hours on Saturday afternoon.
the crown.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 4:05pm
Spent two years east and north and two years south. Personally preferred south, I would have the reverse hipster opinion, though get to Brixton . Quick. I think age is important, in my early to mid twenties, I would prefer north. Now, I would prefer south. Would also try and avoid living with Irish lads if ya can. We are a great bunch and all but you are moving to the most multicultural city in Europe. The thing I miss most is that multiculturalism, it is what makes London. The Irish are easy to find, chances are you know at least a half dozen there already.
Also, it can be hard to get to know people in London and will eventually find a few Irish mates, whether you want them or not. Take the opportunity to get a few friends within the less social cultures, particularly the native

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 4:08pm

the crown.

+1. If you want to go back twenty years and have a few dodgy early pints, there is the Galway pub across from the travel lodge and the Welcome inn. For those interested in my personal history, that is where I won my hide and seek award, six hours there and I didn't know where I was

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 4:53pm

the crown.

+1. If you want to go back twenty years and have a few dodgy early pints, there is the Galway pub across from the travel lodge and the Welcome inn. For those interested in my personal history, that is where I won my hide and seek award, six hours there and I didn't know where I was
Thanks lads.
I think we are staying in that travel lodge PM so I will visit that pub .I will tell them you higly recommend it.  

Posted By: JohnnyD87
Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 4:57pm
Don't know how many people live or visit north west London regularly but place has changed alot last 10 years!! Alot more of a younger (20/30) crowd down round Clapham. Cricklewood great for sinkin dodgy pints in lucky 7s or talkin sh*te to old boys in barrets or mcgoverns. The crown by no means an irish bar/hotel anymore. Rossieman maybe ya wanna try the kingdom in kilburn down the road and yep bookies near enuf next to it

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 5:12pm
Barrets is the one Rossie and McGovern's is the welcome. It has two names!

Clapham isn't a very enjoyable experience in my view. Each to their own however

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 5:25pm

Barrets is the one Rossie and McGovern's is the welcome. It has two names!

Clapham isn't a very enjoyable experience in my view. Each to their own however

I will check them out.If I go awol can someone let the relevent authorities know I'm in one of these spots.

Posted By: Irish Duke
Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 5:26pm
West Ealing, Ealing Broadway and South Ealing in west london are good areas. Good pubs and a good mix of people. Nice parks and good transport.  Cricklewood is still a depressing hole and if you decide to end it and drink yourself to death then the Lucky 7 is the place for you. 

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 5:26pm
If you want a dirty Shane McGowan's guide to London, these are for you.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 6:32pm
Anyone calling to Ruislip on Sunday? 

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 6:36pm

Yep, I'll be there !

Posted By: JohnnyD87
Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Yep, I'll be there !

£15 a ticket and free entrance to Finbar's fine establishments The Quays and Claddagh ring!!

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by JohnnyD87 JohnnyD87 wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Yep, I'll be there !

£15 a ticket and free entrance to Finbar's fine establishments The Quays and Claddagh ring!!

There is a question - What is The Quays like ?? Been to The Claddagh a good few times but have never been to The Quays.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net