You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

London

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 36>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

You rhyming like a geeza yet AM?

Nowhere near as bad as you and your Dublin rhyming slang LOL
@AntrimMan85
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

You rhyming like a geeza yet AM?

Nowhere near as bad as you and your Dublin rhyming slang LOL
So you are then?
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

need a landon pub for the game saturday? ideally big screen with sound. Any suggestions?

The Alexandra in Clapham is a lucky pub for me for Irish matches. Big screen and loads of Irish.
If you're North, The Faltering Fullback near Finsbury Park is a good shout. 
Don't go near that sh*thole, full of ****s, undrinkable beer , service that is seriously bad, even by London standards and appalling management. One pub I would strongly recommend turning into flats or a bad chain restaurant.
100% agree! You kind of tolerable it when you're young as it's always rammed but you'd be quicker getting a blow job in a covent than you would getting served here. The classic 'who's next?' level of service.
Beer is piss as well in there. Will only drink pint bottles of Magners if I have to go in there.
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by seaniemac seaniemac wrote:

need a landon pub for the game saturday? ideally big screen with sound. Any suggestions?

The Alexandra in Clapham is a lucky pub for me for Irish matches. Big screen and loads of Irish.
Don't go near that sh*thole, full of ****s, undrinkable beer , service that is seriously bad, even by London standards and appalling management. One pub I would strongly recommend turning into flats or a bad chain restaurant.
100% agree! You kind of tolerable it when you're young as it's always rammed but you'd be quicker getting a blow job in a covent than you would getting served here. The classic 'who's next?' level of service.
Beer is piss as well in there. Will only drink pint bottles of Magners if I have to go in there.

f**king hell. Thats a bit harsh. Both pubs will definitely have the match on big screens with sound. Service in the Fullback is average by London standards. Decent selection of ales too. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 7:27pm

f**king hell. Thats a bit harsh. Both pubs will definitely have the match on big screens with sound. Service in the Fullback is average by London standards. Decent selection of ales too. 
Unless things have changed massively they will be kept terribly though. The Alexandra is definitely the worst pub I have been to in London though, nothing compares to it.
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 9:36pm

I was just talking about the Alex, have never been in the Faltering Fullback (as far as I know). 
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 9:58pm
Both the Alex and the Full Back are sh*tholes. Only been to the Alex twice but used to go to the full back quiet a bit and the beer was stinking and the service is sh*te. As already pointed out if you are in the Finsbury Park area get yourself to the pins. Great service and grand drink.

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 6:50am
The best Bacon and cabbage in all of London...the pins
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 11:13am

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

NR - give this place a go.... 
lovely food and atmosphere 

<span style="color: rgb0, 128, 0; line-height: 1.4;">The Churchill Arms, </span><em style="color: rgb0, 128, 0; line-height: 1.4;">119 Kensington Church Street, W8 7LN

Run by proud paddy Gerry O’Brien, The Churchill Arms is an anomaly: an Irish pub with an English name and a Thai menu. 

That man is certifiable, could spend hours watching him. The ceiling occasionally leaks there! One of my favourite London pubs, although I never ate there.

Can we get a list of PMs favourite public houses?  You seem to have invested some time finding the best spots.

A brief London list. Off the top of my head and in no order.
The Harp on Chandos place near Covent Garden
Chandos, the Sam Smith's pub around the corner
The Woodman Battersea High Street
The Cat's Back Wandsworth great Sussex
The Welcome Inn Irish Pub Tooting
The Rake Borough Market
The Market Porter Boriugh Market
The Wheatsheaf Borough Market
The George Borough High street
The Cock Irish dive bar Euston
The Churchill Arms (mentioned)
The Windsor Castle(around the Corner from above)
The Beehive Wetherspoons Brixton
The Bull Highgate
That little French bar in the West end
The Boogaloo Highgate
Mother Red Cap Archway
Boston Rose Tufnell Park

Some decent boozers on here.

Interesting that you've included a few wannabe hipster type joints on it though, didn't think that would be your scene.

The Bull and the Boogaloo in particular stick out.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

<span style="color: rgb0, 128, 0; line-height: 1.4;">The Churchill Arms, </span><em style="color: rgb0, 128, 0; line-height: 1.4;">119 Kensington Church Street, W8 7LN

Run by proud paddy Gerry O’Brien, The Churchill Arms is an anomaly: an Irish pub with an English name and a Thai menu. 

That man is certifiable, could spend hours watching him. The ceiling occasionally leaks there! One of my favourite London pubs, although I never ate there.

Can we get a list of PMs favourite public houses?  You seem to have invested some time finding the best spots.

The Rake Borough Market
The Bull Highgate
The Boogaloo Highgate
Mother Red Cap Archway
Boston Rose Tufnell Park

Interesting that you've included a few wannabe hipster type joints on it though, didn't think that would be your scene.

The Boogaloo was never hipster, unless that has changed recently, used to work in the Bull and wouldn't have described at as such either although you would get a few in.
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 12:58pm

Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

The Rake Borough Market
The Bull Highgate
The Boogaloo Highgate
Mother Red Cap Archway
Boston Rose Tufnell Park

The Boogaloo was never hipster, unless that has changed recently, used to work in the Bull and wouldn't have described at as such either although you would get a few in.

I said wannabe hipster. And to be fair everyone has a different definition of what is an isn't a hipster or wannabe.

I don't know when you worked at the Bull, it's a good pub but it's but it was bought by a craft beer company 5 years ago and got turned into a brew pub. Nothing wrong with that as such, they've got some great beers, but in my opinion it's overpriced and full of Highgate media types, the older brothers of the Boogaloo crew.  Actually looks like they sold it a few months ago. 

The Boogaloo has always been wannabe hipster. The reason I say wannabe hipster and not actual hipster is because it's in f**king Highgate. The clientele are all your typical Highgate, Crouch End, Muswell Hill rich kids "slumming it" in a pub that has seen better days but without having to go somewhere like Brixton or Hackney outside of their comfortable north london suburban lifestyle, they all have their uniform of skinny jeans, check shirts, messenger bags, beanie hats, big bushy beards for him, died grey hair for her. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 1:36pm
Wannabe hipsters are hipsters. Any **** who wanders around with a beanie hat and t-shirt indoors taking pictures of f**k all, with bad tattoos and an obsession with overpriced coffee is a hipster. I think every bullied school kid in England has made his way to London to become cool at this stage so most of the pubs on that list will have a hipster problem, joys of London. 

I worked at the Bull from opening, it had been closed for a long time, it was those boys that took it over. It was always going to be full of Highgate types, the famous and the wannabe famous, it is where it is and they wanted that market. He used to manage the Sloaney Pony so at least he was upfront about it. It did the best chicken wings I have had though and had a decent beer list. It was overpriced but not by London standards, have often paid more for inedible food and undrinkable beer, it has been a few yeasr since I was there mind.
The Boogaloo was a great pub and, despite being in Highgate, never had that c- list vipe(although I did see MacGowan and Titmuss in there. In case Barry Egan is reading, they weren't together. Different days. Cracking arse. Titmuss that is, not MacGowan) It had a few hipster types but nothing serious, I wouldn't have called an infestation. It had a sound Irish owner, that London rarity, a barmaid with personality and the ability to pour a pint and a cracking jukebox. The Sunday night sessions were great too.
Does Dennis from Kildare still have the Highgate inn? Had some great nights there.
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 3:11pm
As I said the Bull does/did decent booze, they have another one in North Finchley now called the Bohemia, and yeah prices are standard central London prices, but Highgate and Finchley aren't in central London. I like the place, I'd like it more if was cheaper, but it seemed out of place on your list given some of your opinions on London pubs, I'd have thought it was everything you hate about London!

The Boogaloo is owned by the guy who used to own Filthy McNastys, so MacGowan is pretty regular in there, in fact he might part own it. Pete Doherty knocks around in there too which is what attracts the types I described above. 
My father in law owned it before it was the Boogaloo. I know plenty of people who used to drink in there and when it changed they were not made welcome, a lot of the regulars moved to the Winchester and the Drum and Monkey, which is now closed. When MacGowan stays over he sleeps in my wife's old bedroom LOL

I don't think I've ever even heard of the Highgate Inn to be honest. Looks decent enough based on the reviews.
I don't really drink in Highgate often, I'd much rather going down to Archway or the Holloway Road. Lot of good old boozers around there have closed in the last few years.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 3:22pm
But it is Highgate, same as Wimbledon village and the like, people are rich, houses are expensive, pubs can charge more.
London is everything I hate about London to be honest! What I hate is overpriced places with bad service, , poor food and drink and anti-social hipsters, just  about everywhere in London has at least one of those.
Funnily enough, what you say about the Boogaloo is the Vibe I got from the Winchester. Suggs, Simon Pegg and people ironically drinking lager and watching football. 
The Highgate Inn is a very traditional boozer that shows the football,no food and all night lock ins. Normally a few Irish lads renting rooms above it too.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 4:11pm
What is the Winchester like to drink in? Always seemed like a few dodgy folk in there but and smashed windows but was surprised when walking past they were showing RTE coverage of the world cup.
The dark side.. And the light
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 8:55pm
Liam Gallagher was in the Highgate inn on Saturday night .

I'm not the greatest fan of the Bugaloo to be honest. Would drop in for a pint or two every now and again but would avoid it on a Friday or Saturday night as it does be full of hipsters! Gerry can be a bit of a dick at times also.

Would much rather head down Archway, Holloway Rd or Finsbury Park. Gerties in East Finchley or the Springfield in Bounds Green are also other decent boozers in the area with some characters knocking about.

Anyone ever experience Monaghans in Wood Green!?! Some ropey joint. Like stepping back into the 60s
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 9:04pm
Haha, Monaghan's is a great bar, in that it looks from the outside like you would be murdered the minute you walk in. Basically any place that your wife/girlfriend refuses to go into is a good spot in my book! Can fully understand what you mean by it being a ropey joint though.

My mate lived around the corner from it a few years ago, we went in and had a pint, locals would stop talking, look at you strangely when you walk in, then ask you where you were from and end up talking the ear off you within about ten minutes. It's very much a dress up in your Sunday suit for mass and bed in there for the day kind of place with most of the locals. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 9:46pm
Monaghans is good craic, was in there twice, a few months apart and it felt like nobody had moved!
Liam Gallagher in the Highgate inn, I can imagine Dennis and Liam talking sh*te to each other alright.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 36>
  Share Topic