Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Charlton RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:02am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Mullen has some relevancy. He was heavily involved in Put Em Under Pressure and produced it. He is a fan of the team. But why is he a wankstain? 

But Bertie is one slithering f**k.
Talking about reclaiming our tricolor from the provos while paying his taxes abroad is a pretty good reason 

Pays most of his taxes here and considering the vast majority if their income is earned elsewhere Ireland does well out of them living here.  One arm of their worldwide business is based in Holland.  But don’t let facts get in the way 😀😀😀
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:10am
Jack had many flaws but was also a great character and a decent man.  There is a huge element of Irish fans esp who think the sun shone from his arse and he could do no wrong and he was almost perfect.  That is far from the truth and it actually does his legacy a disservice.  He was a simple man but to talk about him simply is incorrect.  There was a great podcast Dunphy and Brady and Giles did during lockdown which is well worth a listen.  If it was the only thing on Jack it would be deeply unfair but it’s a great addition to the canon of stuff on him as it gives another side to the story.  Giles was one of his best mates but is well able to critically analyse his football management and also is very stubborn nature.  Some of the stories of Jack getting thick are priceless.  Jack was also tighter than Newryrep.  He borrowed a Tenner from I think Ronnie Whelan or Jim Beglin before the first Ireland March 35 years ago at Manchester airport 😀😀 first time they met and he never gave it back 
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:13am

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Is it not strange that jack and bobby were more like acquaintances than brothers tho? They had so much in common with football and bloody winning the world cup together. You would think they would be inseparable yet they were the opposite. I know families have they strange ways but its a little odd no?

I know many brothers that arent close at all. Know twins that are much closer to their individual mates than their brother.  

Pretty sure there was something to do with Bobby's missus having an influence on him (think he stopped seeing his Mam, open to correction on that) but he does come across as a cold person. 

Ya i get all that but look at their lives..both professional football players and like i said they both sweated blood for England. You would think going thru all of that together they would be close esp as brothers. Thats life i suppose. And even his son saying he didnt really see Bobby at all. Sad really.

it's fairly straightforward. Bobby was a bit of **** 

That’s a very irish view of it.  Jack could be a bit of a **** too and a stubborn man also.  Bobby stuck up for wife which he was entitled to do as the mother was a bit of a bully a bit like her eldest son but also a heart of gold.  It’s nuanced in my view by in Ireland it’s often saint jack.  But many here felt his wrath at times such as Brady Whelan O Leary and others.  
AKA pedantic kunt
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Is it not strange that jack and bobby were more like acquaintances than brothers tho? They had so much in common with football and bloody winning the world cup together. You would think they would be inseparable yet they were the opposite. I know families have they strange ways but its a little odd no?

I know many brothers that arent close at all. Know twins that are much closer to their individual mates than their brother.  

Pretty sure there was something to do with Bobby's missus having an influence on him (think he stopped seeing his Mam, open to correction on that) but he does come across as a cold person. 

Ya i get all that but look at their lives..both professional football players and like i said they both sweated blood for England. You would think going thru all of that together they would be close esp as brothers. Thats life i suppose. And even his son saying he didnt really see Bobby at all. Sad really.

it's fairly straightforward. Bobby was a bit of **** 

That’s a very irish view of it.  Jack could be a bit of a **** too and a stubborn man also.  Bobby stuck up for wife which he was entitled to do as the mother was a bit of a bully a bit like her eldest son but also a heart of gold.  It’s nuanced in my view by in Ireland it’s often saint jack.  But many here felt his wrath at times such as Brady Whelan O Leary and others.  

I think the difference between the two men would be that Jack would admit to being a bit of a ****, Bobby wouldnt. 

I am not qualified to comment on the mans character but i did meet him twice at OT and he was a total **** LOLLOLLOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:17am

Jack had many flaws but was also a great character and a decent man.  There is a huge element of Irish fans esp who think the sun shone from his arse and he could do no wrong and he was almost perfect.  That is far from the truth and it actually does his legacy a disservice.  He was a simple man but to talk about him simply is incorrect.  There was a great podcast Dunphy and Brady and Giles did during lockdown which is well worth a listen.  If it was the only thing on Jack it would be deeply unfair but it’s a great addition to the canon of stuff on him as it gives another side to the story.  Giles was one of his best mates but is well able to critically analyse his football management and also is very stubborn nature.  Some of the stories of Jack getting thick are priceless.  Jack was also tighter than Newryrep.  He borrowed a Tenner from I think Ronnie Whelan or Jim Beglin before the first Ireland March 35 years ago at Manchester airport 😀😀 first time they met and he never gave it back 

Sure the famous one was paying for booze in a pub by cheque, knowing there was a strong chance the cheque would never be lodged. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:26am

Mullen has some relevancy. He was heavily involved in Put Em Under Pressure and produced it. He is a fan of the team. But why is he a wankstain? 

Talking about reclaiming our tricolor from the provos while paying his taxes abroad is a pretty good reason 

Pays most of his taxes here and considering the vast majority if their income is earned elsewhere Ireland does well out of them living here.  One arm of their worldwide business is based in Holland.  But don’t let facts get in the way 😀😀😀
All royalty payments from their records and live performances were funneled through The Netherlands. 

The line about reclaiming the flag is still enough to be called a massive wankstain. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:35am

All royalty payments from their records and live performances were funneled through The Netherlands. 

The line about reclaiming the flag is still enough to be called a massive wankstain. 

It’s their publishing company which is royalties from record sales, I don’t believe ticket sales etc are counted in the publishing company and I believe they are not routed through the publishing company which is based in Holland.  

In relation to the flag,  there are many people who hold this view.  It seems to offend a number of people esp on social media.  There would be many hold the view that if you stuck an Irish flag on your house prior to euro 88 or Italia 90 it had political connotations and I certainly don’t remember many Irish flags being put up on people’s houses during the 80s with the exception of those families that supported SF.  His view is his opinion and I don’t think it makes him a wankstain but if that’s how things are debated nowadays so be it.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:41am
Larry Mullen is definitely not the only person to express this view. My recollections of the time would be similar to those of Baldrick.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:42am
as someone who is going to Ireland games since 1972 tricolours were few and far between at games both home and away until Euro 88 . The Jack era restored a pride in our country and flag . He did more for the Irish people than any politician or political movement did.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:44am

It’s their publishing company which is royalties from record sales, I don’t believe ticket sales etc are counted in the publishing company and I believe they are not routed through the publishing company which is based in Holland.  

In relation to the flag,  there are many people who hold this view.  It seems to offend a number of people esp on social media.  There would be many hold the view that if you stuck an Irish flag on your house prior to euro 88 or Italia 90 it had political connotations and I certainly don’t remember many Irish flags being put up on people’s houses during the 80s with the exception of those families that supported SF.  His view is his opinion and I don’t think it makes him a wankstain but if that’s how things are debated nowadays so be it.  
I don’t think I would’ve used the term wankstain myself LOL but between this & Bono being beaten up by orange men, delusional arseholes would probably be a bit closer 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:50am
we are going massively off topic but I thought that was Jon Bon Jovi who said that about Bono rather than Bono saying it himself.  

I would say the only beatings Bono got was because he was probably lippy and part of a gang of musicians and artists and that doesn’t always make you the most popular some lads.  

That quote seemed now attributed to him when it was Jon Bon Jovi. It’s amazing how stories grow legs as it falls into people’s view of the world or of people they already don’t like. 

Edited by Baldrick - 30 Mar 2021 at 9:51am
AKA pedantic kunt
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:56am
Trying to find the story/video without success that goes something like as follows:

Jack is in charge of Middlesbrough and leading a training session
Some man comes flying into the training ground in his car and right up onto the pitch
Players are looking at each other thinking "jesus what's after happening here, is something wrong?"
Man jumps out of the car shouting "Jack, Jack, there's Pike in the Tyne"
Jack turns to his coach and says "you take over, I'll be back in a couple of days" and flys off with the bloke. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 30 Mar 2021 at 9:57am
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 10:11am

we are going massively off topic but I thought that was Jon Bon Jovi who said that about Bono rather than Bono saying it himself.  

I would say the only beatings Bono got was because he was probably lippy and part of a gang of musicians and artists and that doesn’t always make you the most popular some lads.  

That quote seemed now attributed to him when it was Jon Bon Jovi. It’s amazing how stories grow legs as it falls into people’s view of the world or of people they already don’t like. 
I never said it was Bono’s quote, are we saying JBJ made it up? Not that it really matters, Bono’s never clarified it either. 
If as you say Larry Mullen is entitled to his opinion, people are entitled to their opinion that he’s talking out his arse too. Same with Bono. 
I think that’s probably enough on this tangent too 

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 10:15am
Jack took a group of very good players and created a collective which brought qualification to tournaments for the first time. In doing so the team gave the country a huge boost to its psyche when we were on very difficult times of high unemployment and forced emigration following the pattern of the late 1950s. The economic woes only became apparent to me in later years as I was in my late teenager years in the mid 80s, was having a ball and didnt have any financial obligations or responsibilities. He was a very popular man and had a very straight manner which people warmed to. He was belligerent, had strong views and it was his way or the highway. One of telling things for me was in one of his handwritten notes - be a dictator but a nice one. While the style of football wasnt to the purests liking it got unprecedented results, I tend to think some of the irish football cognoscenti resented his successes.The contribution of Larry Mullen and Aherne were for a different programme and in Mullens case were ridiculous. Every St Patrick's day parade in the country were lead by the tricolour, every Easter military parade were lead by the tricolour and so on. The tricolour was in evidence at football games, look at old clips, the home game to France in 1981 comes to mind. Overall it was a bittersweet film filled with some happy memories and some poignancy of Jack's latter years.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 30 Mar 2021 at 10:18am
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 10:15am
but that’s not what happens they don’t just debate the point they call them various different names based on their opinion.  This thread already had it and you are guilty of it. 

I believe JBJ got it wrong and you are somehow blaming Bono for it 😀😀😀 why would Bono clarify it because a few people on social media took offence by it 😀😀😀

Edited by Baldrick - 30 Mar 2021 at 10:17am
AKA pedantic kunt
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 10:22am

but that’s not what happens they don’t just debate the point they call them various different names based on their opinion.  This thread already had it and you are guilty of it. 

I believe JBJ got it wrong and you are somehow blaming Bono for it 😀😀😀 why would Bono clarify it because a few people on social media took offence by it 😀😀😀
Took offence or laughed their arse off? 

I’m sorry for calling u2 names Baldy LOL
George Zip View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Zip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 10:28am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

as someone who is going to Ireland games since 1972 tricolours were few and far between at games both home and away until Euro 88 . The Jack era restored a pride in our country and flag . He did more for the Irish people than any politician or political movement did.

Not having a go at you but Rotterdam 81?
Have a look on YouTube and look at the tricolours behind the goal. Only started going to home games in 85, Denmark was my first game.

Talking about taking the flag back and the Wolfe Tones are playing on the team bus.
"Tell them to get out there and give it all they got and win just one for the Zipper. I don't know where I'll be then, Doc," he said, "but I won't smell too good, that's for sure."
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 11:29am
At Last i got to see the Doc last night .

Now did think it was very well done again 88 , 90, and 94 were a special time foe everyone .

I did like how they left the chair empty at the end .

The only thing which i wanted to see was Jack when he came on the pitch for the last time at Lansdowne v England .

Loved Jack i must say .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435>
  Share Topic