Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Charlton RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 35>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 10:55pm
I heard some interview with Johnny Giles on some podcast and the presenter was too young to remember the Charlton years.  Bloody hell.  Then you realise its actually 25 years since he stepped down and 30 yrs since Italia 90Unhappy

So many adults now who never even were born back then. They weren't there man.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I heard some interview with Johnny Giles on some podcast and the presenter was too young to remember the Charlton years.  Bloody hell.  Then you realise its actually 25 years since he stepped down and 30 yrs since Italia 90Unhappy

So many adults now who never even were born back then. They weren't there man.

Making us feel very old. It's an absolute bitch LOL

Edited by Denis Irwin - 18 Jul 2020 at 11:10pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 11:25pm
In 1996 it was 30 yrs since 1966 World Cup win for England.  I remember watchign Euro 96 thinking 1966 was like prehistoric times almost. Now its 30 yrs since 1990 World Cup.

I dare say half the people on here have no recollection of Jacks time in charge

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 11:58pm
As a chung fella I was in Stuttgart
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 2:35am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

As a chung fella I was in Stuttgart

Only for you sure we wouldn't have qualified. 

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

In 1996 it was 30 yrs since 1966 World Cup win for England.  I remember watchign Euro 96 thinking 1966 was like prehistoric times almost. Now its 30 yrs since 1990 World Cup.

I dare say half the people on here have no recollection of Jacks time in charge

I’m remember chatting to lads at France 16 and they were going on about how the WC 02 is what got them following Ireland.
I was thinking what about the the 90 and 94 WC..... but then I clocked they were only early 20’s.... they were probably only conceived the night we beat Italy. 

Football/the game changes so much each decade... the football before your time looks prehistoric. I watched the highlights of all the world cups from 1960 onwards and it was pure crap then.

The rule changes after the 90 WC were massive. 94 still the best WC for me. But I’m sure there are young lads who would say it was sh1te. 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 10:44am
Think 1986 was better than 94 and I think 98 was better then 94 as was 2006.  

1990 was a shocking world cup hut very enjoyable and probably the greatest time in the history of the state in my opinion.  

All the players from that era were like Dads and nowadays they are like kids.   However I would suggest that's more to do with me going from a 12 yearold to a 42 year old rather than the modern player changing hugely. 
AKA pedantic kunt
nordlingen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordlingen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 11:54am
Mexico 1970 bates them all......
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 8:07pm
just a thought folks. A tricolor out the window on Tuesday as a mark of respect or a scarf.  I've a few Italia '90 milk bottles which I'll stick in the front windows.  It would be nice to see them and remind all who live around you of the great times we had. The big man deserves a fond farewell from the fans and nation.  

FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

just a thought folks. A tricolor out the window on Tuesday as a mark of respect or a scarf.  I've a few Italia '90 milk bottles which I'll stick in the front windows.  It would be nice to see them and remind all who live around you of the great times we had. The big man deserves a fond farewell from the fans and nation.  

I like the suggestion but why Tuesday in particular? 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Ahh muff 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 8:39pm

I've put an England '66 jersey and a VHS sleeve of "Leeds - The Revie Years" in my window. I've stuck a fishing rod out through the opening at the top (of the window, not the VHS sleeve). Got one Monaghan Champion Milk bottle. Not doing anything with that.

Edited by sid waddell - 19 Jul 2020 at 8:40pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Ahh muff 

Enlighten me. What am I missing? LOL

Edit: Apologies. I didn't realize it was day of Jack's funeral Thumbs Up

Edited by irishmufc - 19 Jul 2020 at 8:41pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 8:45pm
ffs Embarrassed
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 9:48pm
I’ll be blaring a bit of this:

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 12:35pm
Ah Christ - I hope nobody walks into the office Cry
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Glad to be working from home today Cry
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Just had to go to the toilet to compose myself, luckily there are only 2 others in the office today Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 35>
  Share Topic